The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alison Hargreaves - Was she right or wrong ???

+5
ONETWOFOREVER
navyblueshorts
dummy_half
seanmichaels
TRUSSMAN66
9 posters

Go down

Alison Hargreaves - Was she right or wrong ??? Empty Alison Hargreaves - Was she right or wrong ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:37 pm

Alison Hargreaves was a great mountaineer....Twenty years on she's in the news because her Son has climbed or is about to climb K2 the mountain that killed her..Can't remember if he has completed .....He's already done Everest.

Hargreaves records include....Being the first woman to climb Everest without Oxygen......The first Woman to solo all the great North faces of the Alps in one season....She was regarded as the greatest female climber of her time (90s) and climbed both K2 and Everest.....

However tragedy struck on her way down from K2 as she got caught in hundred mile an hour winds and fell from the mountain......Dying at the age of 32 !!!

Even more tragic was she had two small kids at the time...

After she died ....Hargreaves was skewered by female journalists for risking her life with a young family........Some pretty disrespectful stuff as I remember....

She was the main bread winner but a Mother is cetainly more important than a Father in most people's eyes.....(Fathers for justice may disagree)

My view is that you only live once......and it's not as If she set out to get caught in a storm...

My guess is the female hacks that skewered her were jealous of a free spirited woman who achieved great things......Some of the same hacks who seem to promote feminism daily......

I don't know......One thing I do know is .....The Hargreaves story does split opinion..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Alison Hargreaves - Was she right or wrong ??? Empty Re: Alison Hargreaves - Was she right or wrong ???

Post by seanmichaels Tue 26 Jan 2016, 1:53 pm

I kind of feel the same about this Worsley chap. You can raise £100k walking from Lands End to John O'Groats. Walking across South Pole unaided was as much for his personal goals as it was for charity. And you have to say it could be seen as pretty selfish given he has a wife and kids.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Alison Hargreaves - Was she right or wrong ??? Empty Re: Alison Hargreaves - Was she right or wrong ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 26 Jan 2016, 2:02 pm

Seems to be a dark ages thing...Where women go getters are frowned on because they aren't fitting some old fashioned mode...

Though Hargreaves was in more mortal danger than this guy one would think....It's not as if any of them expected to check out.....

Though one might add Hargreaves by being in Nepal so much spent quite a bit of time away from her kids....which probably wasn't ideal..

Or the fact that newspapers printed stories about her husband knocking her around when she was at home..

"The Triumph and Tragedy of Alison Hargreaves" Is well worth a read..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 26 Jan 2016, 3:37 pm

Truss

Well, professional mountaineering is a hell of a hazardous way to make your living, so she must have understood the risks she was taking and was willing to accept them.

You do raise an interesting point about society's inherent sexism, and particularly the 'women against women' angle - as a society we are undoubtedly more tolerant of men putting themselves in hazardous situations than we are women: there are few if any top level racing drivers, test pilots or Alaskan crab fishermen. Obviously some of that is down to the physical nature of the jobs, but I think as well there is an element of (very) old fashioned 'men as the hunter-gatherers, women as the carers'

As for Henry Worsley, I obviously have sympathy for his family and can accept he was a very brave if perhaps slightly fool-hardy man. One of the reasons Shackleton is a hero of mine is that he was sensible enough on his first expedition to turn round when within striking distance of the Pole to make sure he and his men got back alive - Worsley, with the advantages offered by modern technology, probably waited a day too long to call for help.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 26 Jan 2016, 4:14 pm

Shackleton is more of a hero for his amazing trip 800 miles around elephant island when the Endurance sunk....

A feat of leadership perhaps unparallelled in the modern era....Didn't lose a man..

Everyone should read that story....

"We balled with the energy of men fighting for our lives"

A great explorer....Great quote from his wife when he died in the Antarctic......When they asked if they should bring him home......"He already is home".,..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 26 Jan 2016, 5:20 pm

dummy_half wrote:...One of the reasons Shackleton is a hero of mine is that he was sensible enough on his first expedition to turn round when within striking distance of the Pole to make sure he and his men got back alive - Worsley, with the advantages offered by modern technology, probably waited a day too long to call for help.
What was it that they said? Something along the lines of "Scott if you wanted organisation. Shackleton if you wanted to get back alive.". Something like that anyway.

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Shackleton is more of a hero for his amazing trip 800 miles around elephant island when the Endurance sunk....

A feat of leadership perhaps unparallelled in the modern era....Didn't lose a man..

Everyone should read that story....

"We balled with the energy of men fighting for our lives"

A great explorer....Great quote from his wife when he died in the Antarctic......When they asked if they should bring him home......"He already is home".,..
Yeah. The story of that expedition is truly gob-smacking. Rowed from Antartica to South Georgia to get help with a couple of others didn't he? In an open boat?!! In the Southern Ocean?!!! Then climbed over South Georgia(!) to get to a whaling(?) station? The fact they didn't lose a single man on that trip is incredible.
They were gone so long they didn't even know there was a war on (WWI).
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 26 Jan 2016, 5:48 pm

Brilliant wasn't it...

Always thought Scott got a bad rap though......He died close to one ton depot (11 miles) and he overcame unseasonable bad weather to get there.....So near so far !!

Losing Evans straight after the pole didn't help either....

Shackleton was the better leader but unfortunately Scott is the bigger legend because he died (like Mallory and Irvine did on Everest)....and it's a great story..

People find romance in sacrifice........Loved reading these stories when I was a kid...Nobody died like the British at the turn of the Century (Titanic 1912)

Scott stole Amundsen's thunder...From books I've read he wasn't best pleased..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Jan 2016, 11:58 am

A mountain??

that's as far from a kitchen as you will ever get.

symbolically speaking

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Jan 2016, 12:00 pm

Surprised I had to wait 8 comments for that kind of joke...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 27 Jan 2016, 12:19 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:A mountain??

symbolically speaking

Do you not tire of being such a boor?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Jan 2016, 12:23 pm

Are you okay P .. You seem a little short today...

ONETWO is a harmless enough idiot..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Jan 2016, 12:24 pm

Pr4wn wrote:

symbolically speaking

Given you are speaking to a man who will read your post and assume you have spelled bore incorrectly I would guess not.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 27 Jan 2016, 12:39 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Are you okay P .. You seem a little short today...

Just sick of these ridiculous comments mate. Debate on this forum would be enriched if we had a larger member base. Garbage like that makes us seem like some pub clique.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 27 Jan 2016, 12:58 pm

Pr4wn wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Are you okay P .. You seem a little short today...

Just sick of these ridiculous comments mate. Debate on this forum would be enriched if we had a larger member base. Garbage like that makes us seem like some pub clique.

That thread at the top of the page saying that N&CA topics will be binned probably isn't helping the member base, in fairness.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 27 Jan 2016, 1:07 pm

Yes, rather than the topics themselves, I'm sure that's the first thing that prospective members look at. picard

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 27 Jan 2016, 1:19 pm

Laugh

Don't be so touchy.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Jan 2016, 4:20 pm

Pr4wn wrote:

symbolically speaking

I'm not Dutch South African mate.

And my comment was in praise of Hargreaves for being an extraordinary driven woman.

My supreme wit is obviously lost on you.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 27 Jan 2016, 7:12 pm

Anybody capable of doing these superhuman feats must find real life quite mundane and boring, they need the challenge whether it's right or wrong for a mother or a father to do it is something only the children can answer. Shackleton is a prime example of that, despite poor health he needed to push himself to the limits, in the real world he was a borderline alcoholic in heavy debt.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down