The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

+28
glamorganalun
carpet baboon
RiscaGame
True Raven
Steffan
Don Blues
PhilBB
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
Luckless Pedestrian
George Carlin
Stone Motif
Blueschief
wayne
GavinDragon
XR
Seagultaf
Gleision
Kingshu
Cardiff Dave
ScarletSpiderman
Notch
wales606
mikey_dragon
Don Alfonso
Coleman
LordDowlais
VinceWLB
32 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach Empty Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by Guest Wed 23 Dec 2015, 8:54 am

Navidi is better in other positions in my opinion. Williams is an out and out 8. Good signing.

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by VinceWLB Wed 23 Dec 2015, 9:03 am

Hoeata, Maafu, Nick Williams all in the same team should be fun Whistle

Dylan Hartley and Callum Clark must be next in line.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by LordDowlais Wed 23 Dec 2015, 9:04 am

Griff wrote:Navidi is better in other positions in my opinion. Williams is an out and out 8. Good signing.

Where 7 ? Cardiff Blues have Warburton and Ellis Jenkins for that position. Navidi will now be having even less game time, and another total waste of a NWQ spot.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Dec 2015, 9:08 am

6, IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 23 Dec 2015, 9:08 am

I echo the statement that Navidi is very good at 7 a bit less at 6, he can still do a job at 8 when asked but he is not an out and out 8, too small.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Dec 2015, 9:12 am

Agreed Vince. Who do the Blues play at 6 now? Macauley Cook?! Navidi should be good enough to displace him from the team. Plus Warburton is away a lot. Much better having Navidi play 6 or 7 than just make do with him at 8.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 23 Dec 2015, 9:19 am

Turnbull was terrible when he came on against Montpellier last week, arguably cost the win when he couldn't stop Montpel players on their tracks. Cook is certainly a better option. If the front 5 is rock solid (big if) they can get away with having both Warburton and Navidi at the same time on the flanks with a big basher like Nick Williams at 8 this could work.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 23 Dec 2015, 9:31 am

I'm happy with Williams. He could be another Waldrom or Easter and keep going well in to his mid thirties as his main asset is his size. I would assume that means Vos will be going. Having Navidi, Warbs and Ellis isn't bad. People get injured and it's great to have that quality ready to step up.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 23 Dec 2015, 9:43 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Griff wrote:Nick Williams has signed from Ulster! Haven't seen him play for a while but a season or two ago he was phenomenal. A bit indisciplined at times, but an absolute wrecking ball of an 8. You've been missing someone in this mould since Xavier Rush retired.

Could be a great signing.

I do not want him here at Cardiff Blues, he is a liability and a thug. We already have one of those in Hoeata. I thought Navidi was going great guns at 8, I'm sorry but this is another waste, there is a reason why Ulster are not keeping hold of him.

You've got him on a long-term deal. Expect to be thrilled, enraged and frustrated in equal measure. He will produce some wonderful barrelling runs, give away tonnes of stupid penalties and lose focus and fitness if he's not first choice.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 23 Dec 2015, 9:45 am

Don Alfonso wrote:
You've got him on a long-term deal. Expect to be thrilled, enraged and frustrated in equal measure. He will produce some wonderful barrelling runs, give away tonnes of stupid penalties and lose focus and fitness if he's not first choice.

Yep, that sounds like the exact type of player we should be signing at the Blues. Can't wait.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 23 Dec 2015, 11:26 am

Good signing although a bit past his best. I guess it means that Vos is off? Vos has probably been one of the more frustrating signings, going from MOTM to garbage form all the time.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 23 Dec 2015, 11:27 am

Vos has been hit and miss and if he does leave I see Williams as a direct upgrade.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 23 Dec 2015, 11:29 am

Matthew Morgan is being linked with you now as well. Your super 6 are filling up fast.

Wasps are "waiting to hear" from Halfpenny as well - the lad must be feeling torn.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 23 Dec 2015, 11:36 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Matthew Morgan is being linked with you now as well. Your super 6 are filling up fast.

Wasps are "waiting to hear" from Halfpenny as well - the lad must be feeling torn.

He will make his mind up in two weeks apparently. He has his choice of a billion clubs, but Wasps seem confident.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Dec 2015, 11:38 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Good signing although a bit past his best. I guess it means that Vos is off? Vos has probably been one of the more frustrating signings, going from MOTM to garbage form all the time.

I think Williams is playing at his best right now. He has been great for us this season, and if he maintains that form for Cardiff, he will be a great signing for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 23 Dec 2015, 11:45 am

Ma'afu
Gill
N.Williams
M.Morgan (looks a certainty)

That's four good quality signings that should probably be available all year

Now just need Halfpenny to sign along with 1/2 quality locks, a centre/utility back and maybe a replacement hooker.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 23 Dec 2015, 11:57 am

Munchkin wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Good signing although a bit past his best. I guess it means that Vos is off? Vos has probably been one of the more frustrating signings, going from MOTM to garbage form all the time.

I think Williams is playing at his best right now. He has been great for us this season, and if he maintains that form for Cardiff, he will be a great signing for them.

Was there no fight to keep him? If he's that good and is just being let go then there seems like there could be more to it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 23 Dec 2015, 12:00 pm

Probably because Ulster are looking to upgrade to a marquee signing in that position. Someone of similar stature to Pienaar or Piutau. Victor Vito is one name that has been mentioned, we'll see if there is any truth in it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 23 Dec 2015, 12:07 pm

Yikes that a signing and a half! It makes sense now...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 23 Dec 2015, 12:36 pm

wales606 wrote:Ma'afu
Gill
N.Williams

Now just need Halfpenny to sign along with 1/2 quality locks, a centre/utility back and maybe a replacement hooker.

If the Fail is to be believed Kirby Myhill and George Earle are on the shopping list.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 23 Dec 2015, 12:38 pm

Earle was a previous target was he not? And surely they would be just wider squad players, not part of the 'super 6.'

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 23 Dec 2015, 12:49 pm

Mikey that was Snyman
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 23 Dec 2015, 3:48 pm

Matthew Morgan definitely leaving Bristol then, and Cardiff Blues look favourites to sign him:-

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/BRISTOL-RUGBY-Matthew-Morgan-leave-Bristol-end/story-28412298-detail/story.html#ixzz3v8mdPPoD

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 23 Dec 2015, 4:58 pm

I can see him being used mainly at Fullback, didn't he move to Bristol so that he could play more at 10?

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 23 Dec 2015, 5:18 pm

Probably the replacement for Patchell, so 15 and then 10 I assume. When Scully gets a run of games at full back then it's likely that Morgan will be on bench most of the time.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 23 Dec 2015, 5:57 pm

Cardiff mean business. The dark days are over. Everything is moving in the right direction. They'll be back to blue and black next at this rate. Merry Xmas!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 23 Dec 2015, 8:29 pm

Nick Williams as a signing is good but not great.

As an Ulster fan I've been a fan when he's on form, but never thought he was up to the top level which I think NIQ players should be.

He's big gains and big losses type player, against most teams the gains far outweigh the losses but against the top level teams they can minimise the gains and maximise the losses, making him far less effective. Personally I think he is a great Pro 12 level player, and can do a job at European level, but I think a NIQ player should be top European level.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Gleision Thu 24 Dec 2015, 12:39 pm

Really excited about the signings! I've been watching the blues since they were created and it might be my memory but I've never seen the scrum as stable as it currently is!

Kingshu, I've been looking up YouTube clips of Williams and he seems exactly what we need, what are the losses you mentioned?

He reminds me of rushy so much, very happy to see rumours we're holding on to vos as well! Two big ball carriers to get us going forward, a stable scrum to play off and a back line that are looking better than I've seen them in years!

Gleision

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 25 Dec 2015, 3:29 pm

Gleision wrote:Really excited about the signings! I've been watching the blues since they sewed the logo on top of the Cardiff RFC crest

That's better. Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 31 Dec 2015, 7:56 pm

"Bristol attack coach Matt Sherratt joins Cardiff Blues"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35199446

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 31 Dec 2015, 8:12 pm

Kingshu wrote:Nick Williams as a signing is good but not great.

As an Ulster fan I've been a fan when he's on form, but never thought he was up to the top level which I think NIQ players should be.

He's big gains and big losses type player, against most teams the gains far outweigh the losses but against the top level teams they can minimise the gains and maximise the losses, making him far less effective. Personally I think he is a great Pro 12 level player, and can do a job at European level, but I think a NIQ player should be top European level.

As a Cardiff fan, it's quite significant though.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 05 Jan 2016, 7:31 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
wales606 wrote:Ma'afu
Gill
N.Williams

If the Fail is to be believed Kirby Myhill and George Earle are on the shopping list.

Now there's a question..."if the fail is to be believed"!

Kirkby Myhill looks to be a very good prospect indeed, and the Scarlets will do very will to hold onto him as 3rd choice hooker. I suppose if Emyr gets into the Wales squad, Kirby will then get some rugby?

George Earle has been a big disappointment of late, since his injury he is nowhere near the player he was. Any Scarlets fans know if he has any lingering problems or is it just a big dip in form?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 05 Jan 2016, 10:19 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:"Bristol attack coach Matt Sherratt joins Cardiff Blues"

I don't know the guy but Bristol are try-scoring machines, so surely it's a good appointment. Blues defence has been quite atrocious as of late (like someone else I know) so why is Steadman continuing as defence coach? And what about Paul John continuing as skills coach?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 06 Jan 2016, 8:41 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

I don't know the guy but Bristol are try-scoring machines, so surely it's a good appointment. Blues defence has been quite atrocious as of late (like someone else I know) so why is Steadman continuing as defence coach? And what about Paul John continuing as skills coach?

Whilst the first up tackling hasn't been particularly good, to me that lies solely at the players door. IMO the organisation and commitment in defending our line is a stark difference to last season. You need to remember, they've had several seasons of Dale Macintosh coaching the defence, that sort of trauma can't be dismissed overnight as players are creatures of habit and like routine - it'll take a season to get them in to a new system and routine where they don't slip back in to the old one.

Not to mention it's his first season too so he's learning about what he's got and who can do what. I would like to say that next season (with the way things are going on the forward front) we'll be a tough nut to crack.

Interesting to see what the new backs coach is like, whilst we've scored a lot more points this season I believe that's firmly down to the solidity we now have at the scrum and lineout. John as skills coach is fine but I think he's just not quite there as a backs/attach coach. At least now we have him full time from next season (no more involvement with ponty I would guess) so he can work 1-2-1 with players.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 06 Jan 2016, 10:37 am

The issue with our defense is to do with individuals and not the system. Some of the one on one tackling has been awful and you'd expect Wilson to be looking at these errors when it comes to releasing players.

On the whole i'm happier now than at any point in the past three years. We've got a coach that is getting us in the right direction. Players who are not needed are leaving and arent being resigned because they're matey with the coach. Our scrum looks decent and we've started to turn the corner in terms of results.

We still have 7 home games left in the league (1 is Judgement Day). If we can win 5/6 of them then we'll be in a good position to kick on next season. I wouldn't rule us out of top 8 this season either.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 06 Jan 2016, 11:48 am

I expect you to really kick on after two good wins, in contrasting styles, over the Christmas period.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 06 Jan 2016, 12:09 pm

Now i'd like to think we could mount a late attack on the ECC places but i don't want to get my hopes up too much (once bitten etc).

Our remaining fixtures are:
Edinburgh H
Treviso A
Leinster H (during 6N)
Ulster H (during 6N)
Glasgow A (during 6N)
Treviso H
Scarlers A
Dragons H
Ospreys (Judgement Day)
Edinburgh (A)

We also have the Munster home game to rearrange.

Looking at it i can only see us losing a few players to Wales during the 6N. Keeping in mind Warbs, Allen and Anscombe have hardly played for us. I think that makes the Leinster and Ulster games slightly more winable. We've been lucky in a sense that we've done a lot of our "building" away to the Irish sides.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:24 pm

Coleman wrote:Now i'd like to think we could mount a late attack on the ECC places but i don't want to get my hopes up too much (once bitten etc).

Our remaining fixtures are:
Edinburgh H - W
Treviso A - W
Leinster H (during 6N) - W
Ulster H (during 6N) - LBP
Glasgow A (during 6N) - LBP
Treviso H - BPW
Scarlers A - LBP
Dragons H - W
Ospreys (Judgement Day) - LBP
Edinburgh (A) - LBP

We also have the Munster home game to rearrange.

Looking at it i can only see us losing a few players to Wales during the 6N. Keeping in mind Warbs, Allen and Anscombe have hardly played for us. I think that makes the Leinster and Ulster games slightly more winable. We've been lucky in a sense that we've done a lot of our "building" away to the Irish sides.

26 points I reckon from that lot.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 06 Jan 2016, 1:41 pm

Coleman wrote:We've been lucky in a sense that we've done a lot of our "building" away to the Irish sides.

Also, you had you're bad fixtures early on, so possibly you could look at going on a winning streak (looking at the fixtures, prob up to the three derby games) that will boost moral etc too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:15 pm

Laugh

You lot sound like my old man.

We will come good, just you wait and see.

And I do, I go down there every other week, waiting and waiting, and guess what, they are still friggin crap. Anyway, I'll join in, as next season does sound a little more optimistic already. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 06 Jan 2016, 2:29 pm

I think we'll get more TBP than that if we do win games. We seem alright at getting over the line.

Looking at the last three seasons the team in 6th (lets be ambitious!) has finished with: 55, 54 & 56. So if we give ourself a target of 32 from a possible 55 we could we sneak it.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 06 Jan 2016, 7:09 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Laugh

And I do, I go down there every other week, waiting and waiting, and guess what, they are still friggin crap. Anyway, I'll join in, as next season does sound a little more optimistic already. Yahoo

Glory chaser. Bet you were a Chelsea/Man U fan until recently. Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 06 Jan 2016, 7:11 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

Dunno mate. Like you, all I do know is that there are stirrings at the capital club.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 06 Jan 2016, 9:06 pm

Is it true that there is to be no more Gleision from next season due to cut backs?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 06 Jan 2016, 9:08 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Dunno mate. Like you, all I do know is that there are stirrings at the capital Region.

Very Happy

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 06 Jan 2016, 9:34 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Dunno mate. Like you, all I do know is that there are stirrings at the capital Region.

Very Happy

@rse biscuits.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jan 2016, 8:55 am

Matthew Morgan has joined yewer lot then. I like him. Adds something a bit different. I personally like rugby for having players of all different shapes and sizes. That leads to quick 'uns and slow 'uns and leads to mismatches and then gaps, space, etc. for a more exciting game.

Down with the homogenisation of pro rugby! Up the fatties and tiddlers, so to speak.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jan 2016, 8:56 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Very Happy

@rse biscuits.

I've printed this and stuck it to my office wall.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 07 Jan 2016, 9:08 am

Glad we have signed Morgan. News said he's on a two year and has signed as a fullback. So where does that leave us at FH next season. Are we signing another or throwing our time in to Jarrod Evans? We need an older head to help guide him regardless. Gareth Davies need not apply.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 07 Jan 2016, 11:01 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Laugh

Glory chaser. Bet you were a Chelsea/Man U fan until recently. Very Happy

Sorry, but in football I have always supported Liverpool FC.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next