The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Predictions for Saturday Night

+18
milkyboy
Atila
TRUSSMAN66
Mr Bounce
Nico the gman
Herman Jaeger
catchweight
Coxy001
mobilemaster8
BoxingFan88
The Beast
Happytravelling
Hammersmith harrier
Baby faced assassin
spencerclarke
Lance
ONETWOFOREVER
AlexHuckerby
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Predictions for Saturday Night - Page 2 Empty Predictions for Saturday Night

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 30 Jan 2016, 12:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

See Groves blasting through Di Luisa, if Bute took him ouy in 4 and Rebrasse in 6 or 7 I can imagine Groves getting to him.

John Ryder, Sergey Khomitsky is an excellent fight, tough comeback from the defeat to Blackwell, SK must be about 41 now but keeps upsetting. Got a draw against Blackwell himself, KOed Buglioni and Adam Etches and gave Murray two difficult fights. Fancy Ryder to take this as long as he doesn't gas, but an upset wouldn't stun me.

John Wayne Hibbert against Tommy Martin is a pick em for me. Get a feeling Hibbert struggles to make weight and Martin may just be a little fresher and more up for it, which can count a lot in these type of fights, but at this level Hibbert can never be written off. Pick Martin on points if he can survive a late push from Hibbert.

Main event of the evening Smile

Another Sergey but I think this ones a tad more impressive. Kovalev Vs Pascal 2. First one was a cracker
Kov got to Pasc early last time but seemingly let him off the hook and Pascal used his speed to seemingly buzz Kov a couple of times in the 5th and 6th. Think you're going to need great stamina to last with Kov over 12 though and I don't see it. Kov by KO in 10 me thinks. But Pascal will make it exciting when it lasts!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Predictions for Saturday Night - Page 2 Empty Re: Predictions for Saturday Night

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 Jan 2016, 5:57 pm

He's no Bob Foster is he when it comes to power and devastating opponents, Stevenson's win over Dawson is still better than anything Kovalev has on his resume, he plays the victim well and has many fooled but he ain't top.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Predictions for Saturday Night - Page 2 Empty Re: Predictions for Saturday Night

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 31 Jan 2016, 6:02 pm

I do actually think anyone who can't see its Stevenson who's ducking Kovalev must b genuinely cretinous.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 Jan 2016, 6:04 pm

Oh look it's Herman back with his stock comment.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 Jan 2016, 6:08 pm

Stevenson probably doesn't like bigots..

I don't either..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 31 Jan 2016, 6:40 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:I don't recall Froch giving Pascal a lesson. In fact Froch after the sixth round, realising he was going to come off second in a trade-off, got behind the jab and boxed his way to the win in an incredibly tense and close fight.

It takes some fighter to make Pascal give up his stool imo, I still reckon Pascal would smash Stevenson up,, Stevenson not even second best in the division imo. At least Pascal had the ball$ to get in there with Kovalev not once but twice, something which Stevenson so obviously will do anything not to do.

Kovalev a very solid chin imo.
What other options did Pascal have if he wanted a decent payday?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 31 Jan 2016, 6:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Stevenson probably doesn't like bigots..

I don't either..

Yeah, go back to offending Azumah about his Africaness like you did on the old 606.

Pathetic !

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 Jan 2016, 7:07 pm

I've never been racist on here or the old BBC and if I had ..I'd have been rightly kicked off..

What you've just wrote is actionable....

You're too stupid though to realise that..

Be careful ....Not everybody is as laid back as me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 31 Jan 2016, 7:15 pm

Yeah well don't make stuff up about me again.

You see this is what Truss does, invent stuff up about others, that way he can gain the moral high ground so it's him up there looking down on others, a nice platform from which he can regurgitate his tired boring repetitive one liners.

Or perhaps it's just an American thing. Some impulse in the American psyche. Oh look wewere all complicit in the genocide of the American Indian but me oh no not me, let's point the finger at someone else.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 Jan 2016, 7:19 pm

I said "Stevo probably doesn't like bigots and I don't either"..

You accused me of racism..an accusation you can't back up..

Don't push your luck.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 31 Jan 2016, 7:23 pm

Go fuc£ yoursel you stirring twa&t.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 Jan 2016, 7:25 pm

Don't be like that.. Cool

Spread the love... heart

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 31 Jan 2016, 7:29 pm

Why are you having a go at me then?

Shouldn't you be abusing Azumah about African politics... Laugh

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 Jan 2016, 7:36 pm

Don't be so sensitive. .

Just having fun....I have no problem with you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 31 Jan 2016, 7:41 pm

Shame you Americans don't play cricket. Wouldn't it be lovely if the mid west was covered in cricket pitches instead of rednecks and crystal meth.

You can blame the French for bankrupting themselves to make sure you beat us.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 Jan 2016, 7:51 pm

Never been to the mid west.  Or the West Coast even...Brother has been around though...Indiana, Michigan, Chicago, California...But then he's been there much longer than me...

New York, Atlantic City been there loads of times..

As for red necks America is a lump of States/Countries all in one a bit like Europe....They are as alien to me as they are to you..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 31 Jan 2016, 8:01 pm

The old America is disappearing apparently...

Sad.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 Jan 2016, 8:13 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:He's no Bob Foster is he when it comes to power and devastating opponents, Stevenson's win over Dawson is still better than anything Kovalev has on his resume, he plays the victim well and has many fooled but he ain't top.

As long as you say you want the best it's ok..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 31 Jan 2016, 10:42 pm

Just watching the groves fight replay. Contrary to the commentary/what I'd read/what the groves camp said.... George looked a bit slow and fleshy to me.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 31 Jan 2016, 10:45 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Just no way, cannot see it, Kovalev is very good at controlling range and Stevenson hasn't got a great chin. Bellew had him buzzed, Kovalev lands and its over, he'll be very careful of Stevenson's left aswell. Just personally can't see it, Kovalev is an absolute beastx I actually think he could give a lot of great champions hell.

Nor does Kovalev have a great chin, he was buzzed by Hopkins a couple of times in their fight, a 50 year old who hasn't had a stoppage win since 2004. It works both ways and I tend to feel there's evidence of Stevenson being more capable of finishing a fight with a single punch and his superior speed early on makes controlling range a lot harder.

Hopkins never really buzzed him it just looked like it, Kovalev was simply off balance. Not being a fan boy, its true, slow motion replays on HBO showed it and Lampley corrected himself

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 Jan 2016, 11:16 pm

To my eyes he looked buzzed.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 31 Jan 2016, 11:36 pm

Hopkins didn't buzz him once the entire fight.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Sun 31 Jan 2016, 11:40 pm

Kovalev was as impressive as he was the first time he fought Pascal. Seems like a bit of a psycho and doesn't pretend to be something he's not.

Im giving Stevenson a better chance of beating Kovalev than I give Ward. I reckon Kovalev takes Ward out early even if it goes against the grain. Stevenson though I feel could stop Kovalev. Just got a feeling Stevo will lure him in and spark him. Could easily be the other way round though which makes it a fight that I'd like to see above any other.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 31 Jan 2016, 11:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Ward has already earned a shot.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

You're not thick..so stop pretending.

But he's probably scared like all the rest of the Americans...

I mean anyone that puts away a supermiddle that got a lesson off Froch and beats a 50 year old is going to scare anybody..

Little Alex bless him...Probably thinks one direction are better than the Stones..

Ward earned a shot back in 2012. He hasn't fought anybody of note since. Rodriguez and Smith? Hardly earning anything... I know that's he's most likely your favourite US fighter of the moment Truss, so naturally you're a little biased. thumbsup Yes he's super talented and let's face it, beats most fighters at his weight. However, so would Haye at Heavy. Doesn't earn him the right to just jump straight in at the top when he's been fighting garbage or no-one. He's not exactly top-drawer when it comes to bringing in the big bucks on tv. He's down to fight Sullivan Barrera in March, so hopefully will put on a decent show. I suppose Barrera's rated in the top 15 by all the major belts so it's half decent opposition. However, he has pulled out once already. I just wonder if his heart's in the game anymore.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 01 Feb 2016, 1:06 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12c9SbiN3Sg

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 01 Feb 2016, 9:30 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:In the first fight with Pascal he hurt him and was laughing at him struggling to walk around the ring, when he knocked down Sillakh he was stood in the centre of the ring TAUNTING him as he was hurt. Then raced across and destroyed him. I don't believe he was close to retiring after he killed someone, he seems to not have much remorse, but that's part of the reason in my view he's so dangerous. He might say he was deeply affected, but he kind of has to really. I think he maybe felt bad about it but its hardly affected him like Eubank over Watson or Mike Perez recently over Mago. He's just plain and simple a bloody animal. Great to watch, though. Him against Sard is the fight, Stevenson gets destroyed.

Will need to see if Stevenson has showed signs of slowing down in his next fight but i've always backed him to Kovalev out reasonably early, tend to think his speed and dynamism is too much, would love to see it so the racist CNUT gets splattered.

Because Stevenson is such a lovely fellow isn't he ? A convicted horrible PIMP !! Hope Kovalev flattens him quickly which I think he will if Stevenson actually decides to fight someone. If Kovalev was a black american fancy dan knocking folk out he'd be P4P no 1 by now. I love watching the guy, a clever boxer and even his jab is murderous.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Feb 2016, 9:44 am

Rodney wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:In the first fight with Pascal he hurt him and was laughing at him struggling to walk around the ring, when he knocked down Sillakh he was stood in the centre of the ring TAUNTING him as he was hurt. Then raced across and destroyed him. I don't believe he was close to retiring after he killed someone, he seems to not have much remorse, but that's part of the reason in my view he's so dangerous. He might say he was deeply affected, but he kind of has to really. I think he maybe felt bad about it but its hardly affected him like Eubank over Watson or Mike Perez recently over Mago. He's just plain and simple a bloody animal. Great to watch, though. Him against Sard is the fight, Stevenson gets destroyed.

Will need to see if Stevenson has showed signs of slowing down in his next fight but i've always backed him to Kovalev out reasonably early, tend to think his speed and dynamism is too much, would love to see it so the racist CNUT gets splattered.

Because Stevenson is such a lovely fellow isn't he ? A convicted horrible PIMP !! Hope Kovalev flattens him quickly which I think he will if Stevenson actually decides to fight someone. If Kovalev was a black american fancy dan knocking folk out he'd be P4P no 1 by now. I love watching the guy, a clever boxer and even his jab is murderous.

Cheers, Rodders
Yeah but would he get an Oscar?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 01 Feb 2016, 10:22 am

http://news.yahoo.com/sergey-kovalev-called-adonis-stevenson-153945954.html

Hilarious.

Superduck is such a muppet. They'll never fight, but if they do, Adonis has a puncher's chance only (helped by his speed advantage).

Sadly he's a Haymon fight I think, which means he won't be taking on a challenge this decade.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 01 Feb 2016, 10:27 am

Fat Dan wrote:Kovalev believes Stevenson is ducking him. The sides had the parameters of a deal for a June fight, until the Stevenson side changed course this week and demanded it be a joint pay-per-view between HBO, which has Kovalev under contract, and Showtime, which does not have a deal with Stevenson and has not televised one of his fights since 2014.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Feb 2016, 10:41 am

Stevenson won't fight Kovalev - his post-fight bluster was all peeing in the wind.

Kovalev vs Ward looks a 50-50 fight right now - it will be interesting to see how Ward manages with Barrera (if that's his next fight). You'd pick the old Ward to outpoint Kovalev but we haven't seen that guy for quite some time.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:09 am

Of course the Stevenson camp point to kovalev's team opting out of purse bids before they signed the hbo deal and question which of them has the bigger fan base to be dictating terms.

Neither are going to win any great guy contests but then they punch people for a living so while there are nice guys in boxing it's hardly a pre-requisite.

I still think it's a cracking fight if it ever happens... But Stevenson would have to take him out to win. Kovalev favourite but not a banker for me.

Kovalev ward would definitely be interesting... Can ward keep him off for 12 rounds? If anyone can, he can, but again I wouldn't be betting on it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:14 am

Anyone else think the best win the pair have between them is Fonfara? I reckon he'd give Kovalev a good fight and deserves a rematch with Stevenson.

On the same topic, Dawson had been beaten by Ward before Stevenson.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:18 am

Kovalev vs Stevenson would be a cracking fight - I just can't see how it ever gets made. I'm sure I read that Kovalev and Ward have a deal lined up (with one more fight in between)?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:22 am

Sadly that was all play-acting from Stevenson on Saturday , he'll never fight Kovalev his promoter has pretty much already said so in a roundabout way. It's a complete con job from team Stevenson from now on , Saturday was merely part of the act, millions at stake, millions which Stevenson doesn't deserve to earn but they'll get away with it you watch , so many gullible fans out there. You'd think Stevenson would fight him just to save face but when did a pimp ever worry about his reputation. Biggest con man in boxing Adonis Stevenson.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:25 am

I thought that was the story coming from ward's camp haz, something about his deal with hbo... But duva gave the impression hbo had been all set on getting Stevenson for June, she didn't mention ward.

To be fair, as Stevo is clearly a high risk fight, no-one would be assuming it was a gimme warm up for a ward fight. Hopefully if Stevenson kovalev's is a dead duck, they'll try and make the ward fight.

In an ideal world Stevenson fights kovalev's and ward takes the winner. We need to follow another sport if we want ideal worlds.

Last edited by milkyboy on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:26 am

If Ward does fight, and beat Kov and, f*ck it, gets Superduck into the ring and beats him too - where does that rank him p4p ATG?? Enough to break into Top 20?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:33 am

Ward would need to avenge his broken jaw by fighting Bellew then taking on legend killer Enzo

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:34 am

milkyboy wrote:I thought that was the story coming from ward's camp haz, something about his deal with hbo... But duva gave the impression jobs had been all set on getting Stevenson for June, she didn't mention ward.

To be fair, as Stevo is clearly a high risk fight, no-one would be assuming it was a gimme warm up for a ward fight. Hopefully if Stevenson kovalev's is a dead duck, they'll try and make the ward fight.

In an ideal world Stevenson fights kovalev's and ward takes the winner. We need to follow another sport if we want ideal worlds.

Looks like Ward will fight Sullivan Barrera on Mar 26 and then one more fight before facing Kovalev on HBO PPV in the autumn.

Kovalev has an interi fight and would like to fight Stevenson but I can't see how they work through the politics for that (Duva won't work with Haymon - both are aligned to different outfits in HBO, PBC etc.).

HBO gave the game away really, calling Stevenson the lineal champion but Kovalev the concensus champion (whatever the hell that means).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:35 am

You'd certainly be looking at a fighter that might be making his way into a top 50 argument, I think.

Don't think he beats Kovalev though if I'm honest. Kova was ready for Ward instead of Pascal rematch. But Ward opted for a tune-up.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:37 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:If Ward does fight, and beat Kov and, f*ck it, gets Superduck into the ring and beats him too - where does that rank him p4p ATG?? Enough to break into Top 20?

I'm not sure about that. He'd be the first lineal super middleweight champion to win the lineal light heavyweight championship since Calzaghe (and no-one would put Calzaghe anywhere near a top 20). A lot would depend on the manner of victory etc.

Kovalev would be the biggest win of his career, though, and one hell of a scalp.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:44 am

hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:If Ward does fight, and beat Kov and, f*ck it, gets Superduck into the ring and beats him too - where does that rank him p4p ATG?? Enough to break into Top 20?

I'm not sure about that. He'd be the first lineal super middleweight champion to win the lineal light heavyweight championship since Calzaghe (and no-one would put Calzaghe anywhere near a top 20). A lot would depend on the manner of victory etc.

Kovalev would be the biggest win of his career, though, and one hell of a scalp.
For me that's key. if Ward does a Mayweather and opts for a safety first approach (understandable given Kovalev's power) then I'm sure some will have their misgivings but if Ward was to dominate him and get the stoppage it would rank as one of the more remarkable feats in recent times.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:45 am

JC didn't do it in anywhere near as impressive fashion though. Struggled past old man Hoppo and had no other meaningful fights at 175. Also only had 2-3 'top' wins at 168.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:46 am

Interestingly, Hopkins is tipping Kovalev.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Feb 2016, 11:53 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:JC didn't do it in anywhere near as impressive fashion though.  Struggled past old man Hoppo and had no other meaningful fights at 175. Also only had 2-3 'top' wins at 168.

Well, Ward only had 2-3 'top' wins at 168 and hasn't done anything at 175 yet - so we'll have to see.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 01 Feb 2016, 12:03 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:JC didn't do it in anywhere near as impressive fashion though.  Struggled past old man Hoppo and had no other meaningful fights at 175. Also only had 2-3 'top' wins at 168.

Well, Ward only had 2-3 'top' wins at 168 and hasn't done anything at 175 yet - so we'll have to see.  

Very much so, purely speculation/hypothetical I appreciate.

I would say Froch is better than any win on JC's 168 CV though, they both beat Kessler and Lacey is the only other signature win on Joe's CV however, as massive as it was at the time, it always suffers from a 'what if' as Jeff went on to absolutely nothing so maybe was just too much Yank hype, equivalent to Lewis' win over Grant.

Then, on the hypothetical, Kov & Stev would be lightyears ahead of JC's wins at 175.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Feb 2016, 12:16 pm

You could be right about Froch, although, Froch and Kessler were very close in terms of ability and Joe beat a better version of Kessler than Ward (Kessler was at his peak when Calzaghe outpointed him). Ward has Froch, Kessler and a weight-drained Dawson. Calzaghe had an old Eubank, Kessler and Lacy.

I think you're understating the win over Hopkins. He was old, grantedm yet he scored some fine wins up at 175 after Calzaghe. That was more or less it for Joe at 175, though, and it was a really scruffy win as well.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2