The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

+15
Fanster
GLove39
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
Cardiff Dave
EST
Majestic83
True Raven
VinceWLB
Hazel Sapling
funnyExiledScot
MacKnocked-on
BigGee
RDW
EWT Spoons
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 09 Feb 2016, 1:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scarlets Vs Edinburgh
12th Feb
8.15 KO
Parc y Scarlets

TV - BBC Wales/BBC 2 Scotland

Referee: Andrew Brace (IRFU, 8th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Craig Evans, Greg Morgan (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Dennis Jones (WRU)
TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)

Scarlets have lost just one of their last eight home games at Parc y Scarlets in the PRO12: 26-27 to Ospreys on Boxing Day.

Edinburgh Rugby have slipped to successive defeats, to Grenoble in the European Challenge Cup and at Cardiff Blues in the Guinness PRO12.

Edinburgh's solitary victory on their last five trips to Wales came on their most recent visit to Parc y Scarlets in March 2015.

The two meetings between the clubs in the Guinness PRO12 last season ended in a 20-all draw at BT Murrayfield and a 26-15 Edinburgh win in Wales.

Edinburgh's overall record at Parc y Scarlets is won two, lost six.

Teams
Scarlets
15 Michael Collins, 14 Gareth Owen, 13 Regan King, 12 Hadleigh Parkes ©, 11 DTH van der Merwe, 10 Steven Shingler, 9 Rhodri Williams, 1 Phil John, 2 Kirby Myhill, 3 Peter Edwards, 4 George Earle, 5 David Bulbring, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 Will Boyde, 8 Morgan Allen

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Dylan Evans, Rhodri Jones, Rory Pitman, Steff Hughes, Aled Davies, Aled Thomas, Steff Evans



Edinburgh
Sutherland
Cochrane
Andress
Bresler
B Toolis
Coman
Watson
Du Preez

Fowles
Burleigh
Brown
Beard
Allan
Hoyland
Tonks

Subs - Turner, Dell, Berghan, A Toolis, Ritchie, Kennedy, Kinghorn, Fife


Last edited by EWT Spoons on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 9:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

EWT Spoons

Posts : 3604
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down


Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by Fanster Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:03 pm

If Edinburgh don't win this they'll kick themselves!!!

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by RDW Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:05 pm

Edinburgh will be absolutely kicking themselves if they lose this

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32220
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by GLove39 Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:05 pm

Love sacks

GLove39

Posts : 3785
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 29
Location : Aberdeen

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by GLove39 Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:06 pm

Welsh touch judge's eh...

GLove39

Posts : 3785
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 29
Location : Aberdeen

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by BigGee Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:07 pm

That was a tough penalty

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13720
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by RDW Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:08 pm

How the hell did we lose that

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32220
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by Fanster Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:09 pm

I cannot stand offside penalties, theres absolutely no reason for 3/4 Edinburgh players to be on the line that hard in that situation!!!

Edinburgh must be gutted, after an even first half where Edinburgh didn't take their points, and dominating the last 30 they get a poor LBP for their efforts.

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by RDW Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:09 pm

Absolutely gutting - the Scarlets did nothing that game but live off our mistakes and penalties. Unfortunately we gave them plenty opportunities.

We played all the rugby the most of that game and with a better goal kicker we would have won that!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32220
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by Fanster Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:12 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Absolutely gutting - the Scarlets did nothing that game but live off our mistakes and penalties. Unfortunately we gave them plenty opportunities.

We played all the rugby the most of that game and with a better goal kicker we would have won that!

Hard to argue, Edinburgh defence was superb!

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by VinceWLB Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:12 pm

That was a hell of a contest.

What to say about this game other than Scarlets were extremely lucky to win it.

VinceWLB

Posts : 3841
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by BigGee Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:13 pm

Unlucky there for Edinburgh, showed some guts to come back and got done by a dodgy call!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13720
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by Fanster Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:14 pm

BigGee wrote:Unlucky there for Edinburgh, showed some guts to come back and got done by a dodgy call!

The only dodgy part of the call was the player penalised when it was 3/4 others!

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by Fanster Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:18 pm

Have to applaud the Scarlets development team, Aled Thomas and Aled Davies off the bench are quality replacements, considering they lost RP to Bath, Davies to Wales, Owen William to Leicester...

They just have a conveyer belt of quality backs...

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by BigGee Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:20 pm

Well it was one that got away anyhow, good to see Edinburgh trying to play some rugby. They looked dangerous when they gave it a lash, they should try it more often!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 13720
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by RDW Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:22 pm

Solomons complaining about the final penalty saying from his replays it wasn't offside. Says there needs to be neutral officials!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32220
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by Fanster Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:23 pm

Poor form from Solomons whinging about the referee...

I get his point that of course all ref teams should be neutral, but to air that on TV shows a lack of class.

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by VinceWLB Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:24 pm

Fanster wrote:Have to applaud the Scarlets development team, Aled Thomas and Aled Davies off the bench are quality replacements, considering they lost RP to Bath, Davies to Wales, Owen William to Leicester...

They just have a conveyer belt of quality backs...

Not sure about that! he as well as Rhodri Jones the replacement tighthead almost single handedly cost Scarlets the game. And Aled Thomas is 31!


VinceWLB

Posts : 3841
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by RDW Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:25 pm

Having seen the replay I've got to say it was an incredibly tight call!

Certainly wasn't a clear offside

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32220
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by RiscaGame Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:27 pm

Fanster wrote:Poor form from Solomons whinging about the referee...

I get his point that of course all ref teams should be neutral, but to air that on TV shows a lack of class.

Hardly. The more public exposure it gets, the better. I bet chunky Norwich is furious about it.

Even though neutral refs are not feasible, the standard of refs in the league are gash.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 5431
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by gog1992 Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:28 pm

Alphie looks like a floating head in that top.

gog1992

Posts : 35
Join date : 2013-10-22

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by Fanster Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:30 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
Fanster wrote:Poor form from Solomons whinging about the referee...

I get his point that of course all ref teams should be neutral, but to air that on TV shows a lack of class.

Hardly. The more public exposure it gets, the better. I bet chunky Norwich is furious about it.

Even though neutral refs are not feasible, the standard of refs in the league are gash.

Disagree about public exposure, and blaming 1 call for losing the game is poor form IMO, had the coaches been better, or players been better the final call means not a jot!

I agree with the issue, but you have to deal with it in the proper way, and not stand in front of a camera to whine about it.

After seeing the replay a few times it is far closer than I originally thought, and some go for, some against, it was an unlucky call from Edinburghs POV, however the player penalised isn't on camera whatsoever, so who is to lay blame anywhere?

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by RiscaGame Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:35 pm

He was asked a question and answered it truthfully. Maybe if you don't like it, tweet Phil Steele and ask him not to ask questions immediately post match.

He is dealing with it via the proper channels, so it's kind of moot. As I said, I'd sooner have a coach be able to say what he feels rather than have to awkwardly avoid it.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 5431
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by Fanster Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:37 pm

RiscaGame wrote:He was asked a question and answered it truthfully. Maybe if you don't like it, tweet Phil Steele and ask him not to ask questions immediately post match.

He is dealing with it via the proper channels, so it's kind of moot. As I said, I'd sooner have a coach be able to say what he feels rather than have to awkwardly avoid it.

Avoid what, making excuses?

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:40 pm

Disappointed by the result of course but cheered by the performance. Some points to note:

- Turner was great off the bench as an impact sub. I'd like to see more of him.

- Ben Toolis is a beast and should be on the Scotland bench.

- Sam Beard has been overlooked. His performance tonight has convinced me that he should be our second choice 12 after Matt Scott. I liked his combination with Allen and it was great to see them both trying to create things and running off each other. More of that please. Strauss has never played that well for Edinburgh in that position.

- Tom Brown is pushing hard for a Scotland spot. Maitland is on borrowed time. I thought Fife and Hoyland were lively as well. Hoyland has a big future.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16934
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 42
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:46 pm

Fanster wrote:Have to applaud the Scarlets development team, Aled Thomas and Aled Davies off the bench are quality replacements, considering they lost RP to Bath, Davies to Wales, Owen William to Leicester...

They just have a conveyer belt of quality backs...

I'm not sure what you have been watching Fanster but in recent times they most certainly do not, hence the kiwi recruits. I also think that outside of Gareth Davies their halfbacks are very poor.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 14067
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by RDW Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:48 pm

Those missed kicks are very frustrating - we should have been home and dry on the end not scuppered by a dubious home touch judge call.

Fowles' before half time was a particularly bad miss - that should have been bread and butter stuff for a pro kicker.

Even though Tonks got the touchline kick his conversion attempt after the first try was pitiful.

Should have been a relaxed finish to the game fur Edinburgh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32220
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by Fanster Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:48 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Fanster wrote:Have to applaud the Scarlets development team, Aled Thomas and Aled Davies off the bench are quality replacements, considering they lost RP to Bath, Davies to Wales, Owen William to Leicester...

They just have a conveyer belt of quality backs...

I'm not sure what you have been watching Fanster but in recent times they most certainly do not, hence the kiwi recruits. I also think that outside of Gareth Davies their halfbacks are very poor.

Very poor? Aled Davies has been on fire and made the Welsh squad, Rhodri Williams is coming along nicely, RP and Owen Williams have both gone on to top Aviva teams, and Shinglar was in the middle of an international armwrestle! How are these poor players?

Fanster

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-05-31

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 12 Feb 2016, 11:05 pm

Fanster wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Fanster wrote:Have to applaud the Scarlets development team, Aled Thomas and Aled Davies off the bench are quality replacements, considering they lost RP to Bath, Davies to Wales, Owen William to Leicester...

They just have a conveyer belt of quality backs...

I'm not sure what you have been watching Fanster but in recent times they most certainly do not, hence the kiwi recruits. I also think that outside of Gareth Davies their halfbacks are very poor.

Very poor? Aled Davies has been on fire and made the Welsh squad, Rhodri Williams is coming along nicely, RP and Owen Williams have both gone on to top Aviva teams, and Shinglar was in the middle of an international armwrestle! How are these poor players?

Yes. Shingler has struggled at fly-half at this level for a couple of seasons. He was only considered LV standard by Nigel Davies, and it doesn't seem like he's kicked on from that and is going the way of Priestland. Aled Davies is a crap scrum half, he's too slow, so how he's at club level never mind pushing for international just beggars belief. I'm sure Webb will be back in the Wales squad soon though. Rhodri Williams is a better 9, he looked promising but again he hasn't really kicked on. He's off to Bristol as well i think.

Shingler wasn't really in the middle of an international arm wrestle, that's a stupid thing to say. Robinson was on a mad one looking to cap every player with a Scottish connection. The WRU pointed out he was ineligible, which he was, and that's that. RP is an average club player and Bath fans aren't happy with his performances. Williams seems to be doing good at Tigers - but I assumed we were talking about their current halfbacks, and outside of Gareth Davies they're either poor or average.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 14067
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by 2ndtimeround Sat 13 Feb 2016, 12:29 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Fanster wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Fanster wrote:Have to applaud the Scarlets development team, Aled Thomas and Aled Davies off the bench are quality replacements, considering they lost RP to Bath, Davies to Wales, Owen William to Leicester...

They just have a conveyer belt of quality backs...

I'm not sure what you have been watching Fanster but in recent times they most certainly do not, hence the kiwi recruits. I also think that outside of Gareth Davies their halfbacks are very poor.

Very poor? Aled Davies has been on fire and made the Welsh squad, Rhodri Williams is coming along nicely, RP and Owen Williams have both gone on to top Aviva teams, and Shinglar was in the middle of an international armwrestle! How are these poor players?

Yes. Shingler has struggled at fly-half at this level for a couple of seasons. He was only considered LV standard by Nigel Davies, and it doesn't seem like he's kicked on from that and is going the way of Priestland. Aled Davies is a crap scrum half, he's too slow, so how he's at club level never mind pushing for international just beggars belief. I'm sure Webb will be back in the Wales squad soon though. Rhodri Williams is a better 9, he looked promising but again he hasn't really kicked on. He's off to Bristol as well i think.

Shingler wasn't really in the middle of an international arm wrestle, that's a stupid thing to say. Robinson was on a mad one looking to cap every player with a Scottish connection. The WRU pointed out he was ineligible, which he was, and that's that. RP is an average club player and Bath fans aren't happy with his performances. Williams seems to be doing good at Tigers - but I assumed we were talking about their current halfbacks, and outside of Gareth Davies they're either poor or average.

Nigel Davies the current Merthyr Tydfil coach you mean?
What a great example to prove your point.

2ndtimeround

Posts : 595
Join date : 2011-01-30
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 13 Feb 2016, 1:31 am

Well actually Second Time no, and I find your knit-picking of my comment there poor - were you trying to be witty? The thing that proves my point is Shingler. Those who have watched him regularly will know. We also know that telling a scarlet that one of their players isn't that good is a waste of time so I would never in a million years expect one to accept the blatantly obvious.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 14067
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by RDW Sat 13 Feb 2016, 8:52 am

This season for Edinburgh has been defined by 'what if' moments.

By my reckoning there's been 5 games that we could have won, 3 games that we really should have won and I can't help but think that by not taking some of those chances our Top 6 aspirations are dead and buried.

All is not lost of course but the Scarlets have opened up a 6 point lead on us and Munster 2 points behind us have 2 games in hand.

It is going to be so tight - if we lose away to Ospreys next week I think our chance will be gone.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 32220
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by RiscaGame Sat 13 Feb 2016, 9:48 am

2ndtimeround wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Fanster wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Fanster wrote:Have to applaud the Scarlets development team, Aled Thomas and Aled Davies off the bench are quality replacements, considering they lost RP to Bath, Davies to Wales, Owen William to Leicester...

They just have a conveyer belt of quality backs...

I'm not sure what you have been watching Fanster but in recent times they most certainly do not, hence the kiwi recruits. I also think that outside of Gareth Davies their halfbacks are very poor.

Very poor? Aled Davies has been on fire and made the Welsh squad, Rhodri Williams is coming along nicely, RP and Owen Williams have both gone on to top Aviva teams, and Shinglar was in the middle of an international armwrestle! How are these poor players?

Yes. Shingler has struggled at fly-half at this level for a couple of seasons. He was only considered LV standard by Nigel Davies, and it doesn't seem like he's kicked on from that and is going the way of Priestland. Aled Davies is a crap scrum half, he's too slow, so how he's at club level never mind pushing for international just beggars belief. I'm sure Webb will be back in the Wales squad soon though. Rhodri Williams is a better 9, he looked promising but again he hasn't really kicked on. He's off to Bristol as well i think.

Shingler wasn't really in the middle of an international arm wrestle, that's a stupid thing to say. Robinson was on a mad one looking to cap every player with a Scottish connection. The WRU pointed out he was ineligible, which he was, and that's that. RP is an average club player and Bath fans aren't happy with his performances. Williams seems to be doing good at Tigers - but I assumed we were talking about their current halfbacks, and outside of Gareth Davies they're either poor or average.

Nigel Davies the current Merthyr Tydfil coach you mean?
What a great example to prove your point.

Merthyr coach?

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 5431
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by Seagultaf Sat 13 Feb 2016, 11:00 am

RiscaGame wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Fanster wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Fanster wrote:Have to applaud the Scarlets development team, Aled Thomas and Aled Davies off the bench are quality replacements, considering they lost RP to Bath, Davies to Wales, Owen William to Leicester...

They just have a conveyer belt of quality backs...

I'm not sure what you have been watching Fanster but in recent times they most certainly do not, hence the kiwi recruits. I also think that outside of Gareth Davies their halfbacks are very poor.

Very poor? Aled Davies has been on fire and made the Welsh squad, Rhodri Williams is coming along nicely, RP and Owen Williams have both gone on to top Aviva teams, and Shinglar was in the middle of an international armwrestle! How are these poor players?

Yes. Shingler has struggled at fly-half at this level for a couple of seasons. He was only considered LV standard by Nigel Davies, and it doesn't seem like he's kicked on from that and is going the way of Priestland. Aled Davies is a crap scrum half, he's too slow, so how he's at club level never mind pushing for international just beggars belief. I'm sure Webb will be back in the Wales squad soon though. Rhodri Williams is a better 9, he looked promising but again he hasn't really kicked on. He's off to Bristol as well i think.

Shingler wasn't really in the middle of an international arm wrestle, that's a stupid thing to say. Robinson was on a mad one looking to cap every player with a Scottish connection. The WRU pointed out he was ineligible, which he was, and that's that. RP is an average club player and Bath fans aren't happy with his performances. Williams seems to be doing good at Tigers - but I assumed we were talking about their current halfbacks, and outside of Gareth Davies they're either poor or average.

Nigel Davies the current Merthyr Tydfil coach you mean?
What a great example to prove your point.

Merthyr coach?

I think you mean Ebbw Vale coach but still plying his trade at semi pro level. Shingler was coming on well but has been plagued by injuries which seems to have set him back a long way. Much like Rhodri Jones, a year ago before he got injured he was beginning to get the hang of tight head scrummaging but now he is pretty much a liability in that department. Perhaps he can get a few games at loose head a position he was very good at before he was persuaded to make the change.

Despite the popularity of critising Priestland, the Scarlets have really missed him, Dan Jones, Aled Thomas and Shingler have been tried but none of them have looked the part, they can only now hope that Patchell will step up next season. Priestland must now be regretting going to Bath, a salary of nearly £300k is attractive, but playing in a struggling side, where the guy who wears your shirt is the Coach's son can't be fun. Saying that he played well for Wales when Biggar eventually went off against Ireland last week.

Seagultaf

Posts : 1404
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by True Raven Sat 13 Feb 2016, 12:06 pm

Gareth Charles mentioned in commentary that Rhodri jones will be playing for the ospreys next season...has that been confirmed? I seriously hope not unless he's coming to be a loosehead to be the eventual understudy to Nicky smith when Paul James has had enough

True Raven

Posts : 1011
Join date : 2015-12-27

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 13 Feb 2016, 12:08 pm

Bath fans also believe that RP isn't good enough for them. I haven't watched the premeirship but I think it's true because he was also erratic at the Scarlets.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 14067
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 13 Feb 2016, 1:22 pm

That was a woeful game, and definitely went the wrong way. The ref and touch judges were dire. It seemed from the stands that they were only really there to judge knock ons, and occasionally giving a pen (which seemed to be guess work). Both sides were living offside, and numerous 'scuffles' around the pitch were left to continue without any intervention at all.

If there was one decent officials there, I have a feeling Edinburgh may have picked up a convincing win, with both sides seeming a card or two for off the ball offences.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9932
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 38
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by VinceWLB Sat 13 Feb 2016, 1:28 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:That was a woeful game, and definitely went the wrong way.  The ref and touch judges were dire.  It seemed from the stands that they were only really there to judge knock ons, and occasionally giving a pen (which seemed to be guess work).  Both sides were living offside, and numerous 'scuffles' around the pitch were left to continue without any intervention at all.

If there was one decent officials there, I have a feeling Edinburgh may have picked up a convincing win, with both sides seeming a card or two for off the ball offences.

I like it when there is a bit of bite in a game of rugby, reminds me of rugby of a few years back.

Thought the ref was decent throughout despite the last penalty call. Got to my memory all the scrum call correct which doesn't happen often.

VinceWLB

Posts : 3841
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by 2ndtimeround Sat 13 Feb 2016, 4:01 pm

Edinburgh could have won the game without doubt but it was not Brace that cost them the match it was their inability to finish the moves they created, I lost count of the number of times they butchered an overlap when moving the ball wide and missed kicks also make a big difference in a close game.
The officials clearly left a lot go, but at least the decisions seemed consistent for both teams.

2ndtimeround

Posts : 595
Join date : 2011-01-30
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 13 Feb 2016, 4:05 pm

I am not saying that Brace lost Endinburgh the game, however I am saying that all three officials were non-existent in the game. If they had been the result may well have been different (probably two or three yellows to the Scarlets, one or two to Edinburgh would have made big gaps).

From top of my head there were three of four 5m+ offsides totally missed (I remember King doing it, and their blindside I think). They were so obvious the only way they could have been missed was if someone was looking elsewhere.

The off the ball stuff was petty, but in this modern era, and when people get cited for borderline stuff, I think we there could be three of four 'striking opposition player' citings.

Also with some of the tackles from Boyde being exceptionally high, but ignored after the first one, I have an incline he will end up banned.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9932
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 38
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 15 Feb 2016, 9:44 am


EWT Spoons

Posts : 3604
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Pro 12:  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12: Scarlets vs Edinburgh Rugby 12th Feb

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum