The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hughes has resigned as Fulham manager.

+5
Kay Fabe
TwisT
AberdeenSteve
Crimey
Liam_Main
9 posters

Go down

Hughes has resigned as Fulham manager. Empty Hughes has resigned as Fulham manager.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:57 am

Just had some breaking news on twitter and Hughes has resigned.
Where does this leave Fulham now?
Where do you think Mark could be headed?

Quotes from twitter:

Dan Roan
Hughes: "I would also like to clarify neither myself or rep'ive have been approached by another club.Decision not influenced by 3rd party.
I sincerely wish Fulham a successful campaign in the Europa League next season and continued progress on and off field."

Last edited by Y I Man on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Hughes has resigned as Fulham manager. Empty Re: Hughes has resigned as Fulham manager.

Post by Liam_Main Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:58 am

He'll be off to Aston Villa for sure now by the looks of it.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Hughes has resigned as Fulham manager. Empty Re: Hughes has resigned as Fulham manager.

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:00 am

99.9% certain he'll be going to Villa then. I'm dissapointed with that, I thought he would try and build a decent side with Fulham, especially after what happened when he left Blackburn for Man City.

Not sure who Fulham could bring in now, O'Neil is probably out of their reach, I fear they'll get one of the usual lot of Megson or Dowie. Unlucky that Allardyce just took the West Ham job as he would have been a good shout.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:00 am

Could they tempt Alan Curbishley back into management?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:04 am

Y I Man wrote:Just had some breaking news on twitter and Hughes has resigned.
Where does this leave Fulham now?
Where do you think Mark could be headed?

Quotes from twitter:

Dan Roan
Hughes: "I would also like to clarify neither myself or rep'ive have been approached by another club.Decision not influenced by 3rd party.
I sincerely wish Fulham a successful campaign in the Europa League next season and continued progress on and off field."

Don't you just hate it when football managers insult people like us with statements like the above.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:11 am

I'd laugh if he resigned thinking Villa wanted him, but they genuinly didn't. Laugh

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:34 am

I reckon Allardyce is cursing his luck right now, he'd have been a target for Fulham no doubt about it.

Fulham could struggle next season if they don't get the appointment right. I don't see O'Neill being out of reach, if he wants back into football enough he'll surely accept anything from a steady PL side?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:40 am

O'Neil left Villa because of lack of funds though didn't he? Fulham is hardly the place to go if he wants funds.

Hughes has to wait until the end of June to be appointed to any new post now.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:52 am

Villa isn't really the most appealing of places though is it, especially if other clubs take their biggest players in the summer (I am sure Young is moving on, and Downing looks a cert as well).

I think Villa will struggle next season regardless of the manager, and I even think Fulham might finish above them in the league.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:33 am

I wonder if Fulham would ask Hodgson back, WBA have been good for him but he may feel he let people down at Fulham last summer and could put it right, Chris Heughton must be in the frame same with Raneiri

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:34 am

I wonder if the early start to newt season has anything to do with it

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:40 am

Chris Hughton is a good shout!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:43 am

Dave Jones is another decent shout, Fulham could do a lot worse

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:55 am

Zola as manager and Wilkins as his #2 could be another possibility, Zola got a rough ride at The Hammers

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:07 am

What about Martin Jol? Still has a home in London and is looking to get back into the English game. He's also got a ready made number two available in Chris Hughton. And wasn't he linked to the position last year?

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:44 pm

According to todays Guardian, Villa have no interest in Hughes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/02/mark-hughes-fulham-aston-villa

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:13 pm

I thin the villa denying interest could be smoke screen to make it look as though no approach has been made but in long run can say once mark became available it was too good an opportunity not to approach him. Still be a good bet for the job. OR outsider that was much fancied before Bob Bradley to villa

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:29 pm

Think Jol is a good shout by freekshow, they apparantly wanted him last summer before they went for Hughes.

If he isn't in the frame for the Villa job, he must have some inkling that somewhere else he is wanted?

Chelsea were mentioned in the papers but is that feasible?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Well he is former Chelsea and he is already located down there so in that sense it's feasible yes. But can't see him being a big enough name as a manager and proven enough for them but the way Romans mind works who knows

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Makes more sense now that Hughes would ditch Fulham as his agent is that dodgy guy, Kia Joochaboron (sp), who was involved with all the stuff with Tevez. But apparently, the way he left Fulham and his agent dealing has put Villa off signing him. He has got what he deserves if that happens, I have really gone off him now after this.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:15 am

Mark Hughes to Chelsea and Carlo Ancelotti to Aston Villa would be a nice twist for next season.

It wouldn't even surprise me if Mark Hughes had an eye on the Barcelona job.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:02 am

I'd like to see Hughes get the Chelsea job, John Terry is backing him or Hiddink so its plausable, Hughes is a good manager and his contract was up, anyone holding a grudge for him walking is bonkers

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:15 am

So at the moment there are quite a few management jobs going in the top two tiers: Chelsea, Fulham, Aston Villa, Cardiff.

Mark Robins for Cardiff, Hiddink for Chelsea, Ancelotti for Villa and Martin Jol go to Fulham. That's how I think it will work out. However, I'd like to see Hughes get the Chelsea job and Hughton get the Fulham job, both are good, British managers and I reckon they'd do well at those clubs.

Like Gaffer said, if Fulham wanted Hughes they should have approached him about extending his contract way before now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:19 am

He had a two year contract though, there was just a get out clause in it, wasn't there? His contract didn't expire.

Churchill, so you think Hughes has left Fulham with no job on the horizon? I think the only reason he has left is because he has a fairly certain job proposal on the table.

I reckon it'll be:

Hiddink for Chelsea, Hughes for Villa, Jol to Fulham and Hughton to Cardiff. Even though there are rumors that Ancelotti wants to stay in England, I can't see to be honest. I think if Mourinho goes another year without a league or Champions League, he'll get sacked and Ancelotti will get the Madrid job.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:17 am

I thought he had a contract for 12 months, with the option of adding another year on?

I think that he expected the Villa job, but it may have backfired horrendously on him. As a Newcastle fan I'd like to see Hughton get a chance with Fulham as they've got a good squad and think he'd do well there. At first I think Ancelotti to Villa isn't too mad, but then I think maybe he'd aspire to go to someone better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:34 am

He decided not to renew his contract, even if he did exorcise a get out clause, whats wrong with that? Whats the point of having it if you cant use it, Fulham wouldn't be long in getting shot of him if he wasn't doing the business, I too would like to see Hughton get another good job he deserves it, I also thin Mark Robins is on his way up

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down