The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N post mortem

+43
funnyExiledScot
rapidsnowman
jimbopip
Majestic83
tigertattie
Nematode
sensisball
Pot Hale
George Carlin
whocares
teh_Dingmeister
fa0019
LondonTiger
demosthenes
Hoonercat
captain carrantuohil
Hazel Sapling
Gwlad
highland_scot
alive555
Cyril
IanBru
GLove39
NeilyBroon
True Raven
EWT Spoons
bsando
RuggerRadge2611
EST
lostinwales
MacKnocked-on
Prothero
mikey_dragon
offload
R!skysports
Shifty
RDW
TJ
maestegmafia
RubyGuby
Exiledinborders
BigGee
47 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Scotland 6N post mortem - Page 5 Empty Scotland 6N post mortem

Post by BigGee Sun 07 Feb 2016, 2:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scotland 6N post mortem - Page 5 _88860115_sixnations

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N post mortem - Page 5 Empty Re: Scotland 6N post mortem

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Feb 2016, 12:57 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I watched the Hunt for Red October the other night.

Sean is of course utterly awesome (not even a hint of a Russian accent), but Baldwin's "smell the fart" acting is pretty dreadful. Harrison Ford makes a much better Jack Ryan in Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger.

being a bit of a wikipedia geek, I once upon a time was reading about the hunt for red october and this comment about production stuck out :

Wikipedia wrote:Filmmaker John Milius revised some of the film's script, writing a few speeches for Sean Connery and all of his Russian dialogue. He was asked to rewrite the whole film but was only required to do the Russian sequences. Rather than choosing between the realism of Russian dialog with subtitles, or the audience-friendly use of English (with or without Russian accents), the filmmakers compromised with a deliberate conceit. The film begins with the actors speaking Russian with English subtitles. But in an early scene, actor Peter Firth casually switches in mid-sentence to speaking in English on the word "Armageddon", which is the same spoken word in both languages. After that point, all the Soviets' dialogue is communicated in English. Connery continued using the Russian accent for the rest of the motion picture. Only towards the end of the film, at the beginning of the scene in which the Soviet and American submariners meet, do some of the actors speak in Russian again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunt_for_Red_October_(film)

The bit in bold Laugh

Connery's Russian accent IMO needs a bit of work!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:30 pm

His Russian accent (Hunt for Red October) is the same as his Scottish one....and his English one (the Rock/Bond)....and his American one (Indiana Jones).....and his Irish one (Untouchables).....

You could say that he's very versatile. Still, nothing quite says "versatile" like Connery getting Japped up in You Only Live Twice.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:57 pm

"In Japan, men come first and women come second." - You Only Live Twice

"...Or sometimes not at all." Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Feb 2016, 2:05 pm

IanBru wrote:"In Japan, men come first and women come second." - You Only Live Twice

"...Or sometimes not at all." Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

quit stalling bru. You tantalized everyone with a "big thread" still waiting... kiss

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 29 Feb 2016, 8:04 am

Peter Wright said in his commentary yesterday that Scotland are lining up a game against USA in the summer since the Australia (?) Midweek game was binned.

So the squad could be on another globe trotting adventure in the summer!

I just hope the game is played before the first Japan test and not after the 2nd, which would make it outside the World Rugby test window so again we could only play Edinburgh and Glasgow players.

Playing USA first would also mean the players aren't hanging about for weeks at the end of the season waiting for the Japan test.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:17 am

Slightly concerned that we are lacking Test match exposure to SA, Australia and NZ these days. Hopefully we can get some games in the AIs and Summer 2017. We need games against these sides to improve, no offence to USA and Japan.

With respect to a Scotland XV comprising only Edinburgh and Glasgow players, it's probably not much of a big deal:

1.Dickinson 2.Ford 3.Nel 4.J Gray 5.B Toolis 6.Harley 7.Hardie 8.Strauss 9.SH-C 10.Russell 11.Brown 12.Dunbar 13.Bennett 14.Seymour 15.Hogg

16.Sutherland 17.McInally 18.Fagerson 19.Swinson 20.Wilson 21.Pyrgos 22.Weir 23.Horne

You hardly lose anything in fact, other than Wee Greg's anti-Kellockian leadership.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:32 am

I think you will see a bit of an experimental team going off to Japan this summer, with the fringe players and the wannabes getting their chance. The older players and anyone who is a bit jaded will get a summer of rest, which baring in mind that they have played for over a year non stop, will not do them any harm at all.

The Japan tests won't be easy and it will be a good first exposure to international rugby for the likes of Watson, Toolis, S H-C, Hoyland etc

We will also send a full strength U20 team out to their WC as well i am sure and it will be good to see what they can do with a complete team.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:45 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Slightly concerned that we are lacking Test match exposure to SA, Australia and NZ these days. Hopefully we can get some games in the AIs and Summer 2017. We need games against these sides to improve, no offence to USA and Japan.

With respect to a Scotland XV comprising only Edinburgh and Glasgow players, it's probably not much of a big deal:

1.Dickinson 2.Ford 3.Nel 4.J Gray 5.B Toolis 6.Harley 7.Hardie 8.Strauss 9.SH-C 10.Russell 11.Brown 12.Dunbar 13.Bennett 14.Seymour 15.Hogg

16.Sutherland 17.McInally 18.Fagerson 19.Swinson 20.Wilson 21.Pyrgos 22.Weir 23.Horne

You hardly lose anything in fact, other than Wee Greg's anti-Kellockian leadership.

All fair and well on paper but remember we could easily end up with half of that team being injured by that stage of the season (like what happened when we played SA) and end up with Grayson Hart at 9, George Turner at hooker James Eddie on the blindside!

With regards to the Japan tests, I think we should put a very strong team out for the first one (i.e. get the win) then for the 2nd one do some rotation - a team like

Sutherland
McInally
Berghan (who will hopefully get more Edinburgh gametime after a barnstorming performance yesterday)
J Gray
B Toolis
Harley
Watson
Strauss

Hidalgo_Clyne (who must be desperate for gametime)
Jackson
Brown
Dunbar
Bennett
Hoyland
Maitland

Would quite like to see how they would get on!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:18 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Slightly concerned that we are lacking Test match exposure to SA, Australia and NZ these days. Hopefully we can get some games in the AIs and Summer 2017. We need games against these sides to improve, no offence to USA and Japan.

All fair and well on paper but remember we could easily end up with half of that team being injured by that stage of the season (like what happened when we played SA) and end up with Grayson Hart at 9, George Turner at hooker James Eddie on the blindside!

With regards to the Japan tests, I think we should put a very strong team out for the first one (i.e. get the win) then for the 2nd one do some rotation - a team like

Sutherland
McInally
Berghan (who will hopefully get more Edinburgh gametime after a barnstorming performance yesterday)
J Gray
B Toolis
Harley
Watson
Strauss

Hidalgo_Clyne (who must be desperate for gametime)
Jackson
Brown
Dunbar
Bennett
Hoyland
Maitland

Would quite like to see how they would get on!

Its only a two test tour and I would not imagine that we will take that many players. You have got to take the chance to blood some new players at some stage and this will be as good an opportunity as we get.

Some of our players will really be on their hands and knees by the end of this season and anyone who is a potential Lion will have to do it all over again next year!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:21 am

If we playing playing USA as well, as rumoured, we'll need a big ish squad - especially if the game will be in the USA given all the travel.

You are right that some players will need a rest, but it will probably depend on what happens at the end of the 7.  Edinburgh are very unlikely to make the top 4 so their players will have at least 5 weeks from their last game to the first test - plenty time to get a few week's rest then build up to the test.

Even Glasgow may struggle for top 4, or at least a home semi final, so they could have plenty weeks off until the first test too.

Let's also not forget that England, Ireland and Wales all have 3 test tours against the Tri Nations - they will have to take their strongest squads available.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:28 am

BigGee wrote:I think you will see a bit of an experimental team going off to Japan this summer, with the fringe players and the wannabes getting their chance. The older players and anyone who is a bit jaded will get a summer of rest, which baring in mind that they have played for over a year non stop, will not do them any harm at all.

The Japan tests won't be easy and it will be a good first exposure to international rugby for the likes of Watson, Toolis, S H-C, Hoyland etc

We will also send a full strength U20 team out to their WC as well i am sure and it will be good to see what they can do with a complete team.

This is true. I wonder whether someone like Kinghorn may actually make the squad for Japan, rather than U20.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:29 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Let's also not forget that England, Ireland and Wales all have 3 test tours against the Tri Nations - they will have to take their strongest squads available.

This worries me. Really difficult for us to bridge the gap between us and these sides if we can't get a game against them.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:29 am

I'd love to see Fagerson, Ritchie and Kinghorn go to the under 20s world cup and give it a real crack - I know it doesn't really count for much, but we're unlikely to have a better chance to improve on our usual 8th place finish.

Anyone know what our group is like?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:32 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Let's also not forget that England, Ireland and Wales all have 3 test tours against the Tri Nations - they will have to take their strongest squads available.

This worries me. Really difficult for us to bridge the gap between us and these sides if we can't get a game against them.

I'm less concerned about it given we get to play them in Autumn tests.

We simply don't have the strength in depth to play a 3 test series in the summer against the top teams, and i'm not sure we'd gain much from getting a pumping.

And let's face it - if we're going to beat these teams it is unlikely to be in the summer in their back garden in a full test series!

I think the summer tours should be used to integrate young / fringe players into the squad then really go hell for leather in the AIs and 6N.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:32 am

I like the line up with a couple of changes.

Bennett definitely should have a summer off (Ford, Nel, Grayx2, Hardie, Russell, Seymour, Hogg are the others on my list of players who should be sent to the Bahamas to relax) and we have Taylor, Scott, Vernon, Horne who could take his place for the tour. Don't know we can rest both 2nd rows but R Gray seems to play less for Castre than J Gray for Glasgow so maybe swap them.

Other than that happy with it. Bench of Reid/Allan/Dell, Malcolm/Brown/MacArthur, Low/Welsh, A Toolis/Swinson/Atkins (he is SQ right?), Wilson/Ashe/Bradbury/Fusaro/Cowan, Pyrgos/Price, Weir/Heathcote, Hughes/A Centre/Murchie/Jones/Tonks (if he gets into form)

Tighthead we really lack options if injuries strike...

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:32 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'd love to see Fagerson, Ritchie and Kinghorn go to the under 20s world cup and give it a real crack - I know it doesn't really count for much, but we're unlikely to have a better chance to improve on our usual 8th place finish.

Anyone know what our group is like?

This would be my preference as well. Pick the strongest side possible for the U20 and give the next generation a chance of kick-starting their careers with something special. Pretty sure we can manage against Japan and USA without these guys. Blokes like Moray Low, Blair Cowan, Rob Harley, Peter Murchie and Tom Brown will all be keen to pull on Scotland jerseys and I've sure will do well enough.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 5:15 pm

I just hope France pike Plisson. I think he is quite possibly the worst international player I've ever seen and hell I remember when Peter Wright was a test player.

The guy is absolute car crash. I'd fancy Scotland's chances if he starts.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 29 Feb 2016, 5:19 pm

fa0019 wrote:I just hope France pike Plisson. I think he is quite possibly the worst international player I've ever seen and hell I remember when Peter Wright was a test player.

The guy is absolute car crash. I'd fancy Scotland's chances if he starts.

Agreed - I'll be less confident if Trinh Duc plays!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 29 Feb 2016, 5:26 pm

Plisson really was terrible against Wales. I liked Jiffy's comment as Plisson was "covering" for the North try:

"Look at Plisson, he's just jogging back. Maybe that's as fast as he goes".

Given the complete muck we've seen from France at 10 over the years, it is baffling that Trinh Duc doesn't have more caps.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 29 Feb 2016, 6:04 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:I like the line up with a couple of changes.

Bennett definitely should have a summer off (Ford, Nel, Grayx2, Hardie, Russell, Seymour, Hogg are the others on my list of players who should be sent to the Bahamas to relax) and we have Taylor, Scott, Vernon, Horne who could take his place for the tour. Don't know we can rest both 2nd rows but R Gray seems to play less for Castre than J Gray for Glasgow so maybe swap them.

Other than that happy with it. Bench of Reid/Allan/Dell, Malcolm/Brown/MacArthur, Low/Welsh, A Toolis/Swinson/Atkins (he is SQ right?), Wilson/Ashe/Bradbury/Fusaro/Cowan, Pyrgos/Price, Weir/Heathcote, Hughes/A Centre/Murchie/Jones/Tonks (if he gets into form)

Tighthead we really lack options if injuries strike...

Berghan is worth a chance on tour I would say.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:09 pm

Yeah was impressed with Berghan at the weekend, made a big impact off the bench!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 01 Mar 2016, 11:31 am

I'd like to see Berghan play some games for Edinburgh before we start talking about him in a Scotland context.

We don't want to go back to the bad old days of picking unproven players for Scotland. He needs to be starting games for Edinburgh to be eligible for international rugby.

Nel, Welsh, Low and Fagerson all well ahead.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by teh_Dingmeister Tue 01 Mar 2016, 11:36 am

Is Dunbar likely to come back into the squad at all or will he remain playing for Glasgow? I saw that Thursday night game against Dragons and he had a solid game, special shout out to Josh Strauss for playing well with a two day break between matches.

The french pack is not actually massive and lack ballcarriers with the absence of Picamoles and Bastareaud with Mermoz and Danty/Fickou likely to stay in the centres. Let's hope that Medard stays at fullback as he's worse in the air than Hogg and Seymour should win that battle anyday. Their Fijian winger Vakatawa is too busy trying to pick and go at rucks so Russel should definitely send a few kicks down that wing and catch him out of position. Guirado being their most noticeable player in terms of carrying, the biggest threat that I feel they have over Scotland is that they're good at the driving maul which Scotland has been extremely bad at defending with the absence of Hamilton, I feel that Italy would have had a bit more success if they'd set up more lineout drives but so far Scotland haven't really been tested in that area in this 6 nations. You'd hope that any combination of Taylor + Horne/Scott/Bennett would be at least a match with the French centres who are technically good though lack any immediate size advantage. Their whole backline lacked cohesion though not helped by Plisson's shocker at 10 against Wales and with the kind of quick ball that Scotland generated against Italy along with Laidlaw's quick service (let's hope it continues) they should be able to beat France at Murrayfield.

In preparation for this week the most important thing to work on for the pack would be restarts (again) and defending the line-out drive (again). Seymour will probably be our best weapon in terms of winning the battle for high balls but make sure Hogg gets plenty of practice though he has been a lot better so far than in recent years. Visser was quiet but he did draw in two defenders to put Hogg away for Barclay's try and was decent outside of that, he'd also be an asset in chasing high balls considering his height if he had the technique of Seymour he could be Folau like under the high ball but I guess we can only dream...

Been great watching the U20s as well, if Fagerson's not getting much game time perhaps he should go back to try and shore up their scrum. With such a talented bunch of youngsters coming through perhaps arguments for a third Scottish pro team will finally come to fruition

teh_Dingmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 01 Mar 2016, 11:41 am

teh_Dingmeister wrote:Is Dunbar likely to come back into the squad at all or will he remain playing for Glasgow? I saw that Thursday night game against Dragons and he had a solid game, special shout out to Josh Strauss for playing well with a two day break between matches.

The french pack is not actually massive and lack ballcarriers with the absence of Picamoles and Bastareaud with Mermoz and Danty/Fickou likely to stay in the centres. Let's hope that Medard stays at fullback as he's worse in the air than Hogg and Seymour should win that battle anyday. Their Fijian winger Vakatawa is too busy trying to pick and go at rucks so Russel should definitely send a few kicks down that wing and catch him out of position. Guirado being their most noticeable player in terms of carrying, the biggest threat that I feel they have over Scotland is that they're good at the driving maul which Scotland has been extremely bad at defending with the absence of Hamilton, I feel that Italy would have had a bit more success if they'd set up more lineout drives but so far Scotland haven't really been tested in that area in this 6 nations. You'd hope that any combination of Taylor + Horne/Scott/Bennett would be at least a match with the French centres who are technically good though lack any immediate size advantage. Their whole backline lacked cohesion though not helped by Plisson's shocker at 10 against Wales and with the kind of quick ball that Scotland generated against Italy along with Laidlaw's quick service (let's hope it continues) they should be able to beat France at Murrayfield.

In preparation for this week the most important thing to work on for the pack would be restarts (again) and defending the line-out drive (again). Seymour will probably be our best weapon in terms of winning the battle for high balls but make sure Hogg gets plenty of practice though he has been a lot better so far than in recent years. Visser was quiet but he did draw in two defenders to put Hogg away for Barclay's try and was decent outside of that, he'd also be an asset in chasing high balls considering his height if he had the technique of Seymour he could be Folau like under the high ball but I guess we can only dream...

Been great watching the U20s as well, if Fagerson's not getting much game time perhaps he should go back to try and shore up their scrum. With such a talented bunch of youngsters coming through perhaps arguments for a third Scottish pro team will finally come to fruition

I'd personally leave Dunbar out of the 6N - he has had an absolute nightmare with injuries and we have good options in Dunbar, Scott, Horne and Bennett. Let him get a number of games for Glasgow under his belt and get him back involved for the summer tour.

As for the bit in bold, Visser is absolutely terrible chasing high balls. As you say for a man of his size and athleticism he should be good at it, but I read recently that when it comes to these high ball takes you either have it or you don't - Visser certainly doesn't have it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 01 Mar 2016, 11:49 am

Agree with RDW. Dunbar just needs to remain with Glasgow and rebuild his confidence and form. He's made a pretty great return at Glasgow and Scotland are well served at centre with Taylor, Bennett, Scott and Horne.

Visser had a pretty quiet game against Italy and I completely agree that his kick chase lacks commitment. He loves "defending" the blindside as well when there's basically no room for the opposition to attack, and he too rarely gets off his wing looking for work. Some of that is down to coaching and the shape of the team, but for a big guy he does show a startling lack of physical commitment.

That all said, he's the most natural finisher in the team, and is a considerably better player than Sean Lamont these days. With Maitland off form I see Visser as a no brainer against France, albeit the idea of Vakatawa vs Visser is slightly troubling - they are almost complete opposites, as Vakatawa probably gets involved in the nitty gritty too much for a winger.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by teh_Dingmeister Tue 01 Mar 2016, 12:02 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
teh_Dingmeister wrote:Is Dunbar likely to come back into the squad at all or will he remain playing for Glasgow? I saw that Thursday night game against Dragons and he had a solid game, special shout out to Josh Strauss for playing well with a two day break between matches.

I'd personally leave Dunbar out of the 6N - he has had an absolute nightmare with injuries and we have good options in Dunbar, Scott, Horne and Bennett.  Let him get a number of games for Glasgow under his belt and get him back involved for the summer tour.

As for the bit in bold, Visser is absolutely terrible chasing high balls. As you say for a man of his size and athleticism he should be good at it, but I read recently that when it comes to these high ball takes you either have it or you don't - Visser certainly doesn't have it!

Just from my own wee bit of personal experience I've actually found it a touch catching balls clean chasing the kickoff than receiving them from a kickoff. The path of the ball still travelling forwards along with your body travelling forwards makes it less like to rebound off you than if you're catching it head/side on.

Probably not especially relevant to an international rugby player but just thought I'd throw it out there... anyone felt the same? Agree for Visser it seems like mainly a mental thing, he has the confidence ball in hand but without it he's just not interested

teh_Dingmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 01 Mar 2016, 1:23 pm

teh_Dingmeister wrote:

Fargerson is only going to get a run out with the U20s if Glasgow don'r need him and that does not seem likely at the moment as they seem to have pretty much given up on Cussack and every game is a must win game for them now. Hopefully he will get to go off and do the WC with them in the summer along with all the other young tyros!

The argument has always been there for the third pro team and it is sound, unfortunately it is not the concept that is the problem, it is the finance and that is no closer to being solved, if it every will be.

Hoipefully though a good number of these kids will get the chance of professional rugby in some shape or form, plenty of them look like they deserve it.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 01 Mar 2016, 3:00 pm

BigGee wrote:
teh_Dingmeister wrote:

Fargerson is only going to get a run out with the U20s if Glasgow don'r need him and that does not seem likely at the moment as they seem to have pretty much given up on Cussack and every game is a must win game for them now. Hopefully he will get to go off and do the WC with them in the summer along with all the other young tyros!

The argument has always been there for the third pro team and it is sound, unfortunately it is not the concept that is the problem, it is the finance and that is no closer to being solved, if it every will be.

Hoipefully though a good number of these kids will get the chance of professional rugby in some shape or form, plenty of them look like they deserve it.

I think the situation improves if the LS relationship is used properly. There is no reason not to send 12 (or more) players to them per year.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 04 Mar 2016, 11:50 am

Mmmmm not so good news...

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/fofana-spedding-return-for-france/

Fofana is just the sort of player to light up France's back play. We only really had their pack to worry about before this.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 04 Mar 2016, 1:33 pm

Fofana is a big worry, but I'd be perfectly happy to see Spedding replace Medard.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Fri 04 Mar 2016, 7:05 pm

Anyone else seen that the Tories held their conference at Murrayfield? Now I'm not anti-Conservative by any means, I swing between them and the Lib Dems depending on the individual candidates and situation but given the perception of rugby as a posh boys sport and the conservatives as a posh boys party it beggars belief that not one person at the SRU realised that aligning the home of Scottish rugby with any party, particularly the Tories, was a bad idea.
It could be that when the Scottish team is currently enjoying a burst of popularity after a perceived good World Cup (in hindsight a relatively poor performance against a Tri-nations side, a good performance against a tri-nations side and a win over a Pacific nation is fairly standard), the SRU felt uncomfortable and just thought it might be fun to test the water and see if anyone notices.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 04 Mar 2016, 7:55 pm

123456789 wrote:Anyone else seen that the Tories held their conference at Murrayfield? Now I'm not anti-Conservative by any means, I swing between them and the Lib Dems depending on the individual candidates and situation but given the perception of rugby as a posh boys sport and the conservatives as a posh boys party it beggars belief that not one person at the SRU realised that aligning the home of Scottish rugby with any party, particularly the Tories, was a bad idea.
It could be that when the Scottish team is currently enjoying a burst of popularity after a perceived good World Cup (in hindsight a relatively poor performance against a Tri-nations side, a good performance against a tri-nations side and a win over a Pacific nation is fairly standard), the SRU felt uncomfortable and just thought it might be fun to test the water and see if anyone notices.

A booking is a booking, happy to take their money!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N post mortem - Page 5 Empty P

Post by whocares Fri 04 Mar 2016, 8:04 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Mmmmm not so good news...

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/fofana-spedding-return-for-france/

Fofana is just the sort of player to light up France's back play. We only really had their pack to worry about before this.

Fofana is likely to start on the wing though.... Spedding is probably the less inspiring full back playing for France I can remember and I have seen Traille play there!
However I do believe FTD will start at 10 as this has always been Noves plan but then it means Spedding at 15 to take over the long range kicking duty...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 05 Mar 2016, 8:22 am

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 06 Mar 2016, 6:36 pm

A win by Scotland in this match would set the Championship a little bit more alight.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 07 Mar 2016, 1:36 am

Pot Hale wrote:A win by Scotland in this match would set the Championship a little bit more alight.

Or hand England the title a round early vomit

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Mon 07 Mar 2016, 9:25 am

Spedding enjoyed his best game in a Clermont shirt (or indeed any shirt) by a large margin at the weekend, with great passing for two or three of Clermont's six try win away at Grenoble. Thankfully Nakaitaci, who is back on top form with a sublime hat trick (before half time), and Lopez who also played a blinder aren't in the French squad. Neither is Morgan Parra who kicked 6 from 6 and moved the ball well from the breakdown. Noves is also unlikely to pick Sebastien Vahaamahina because although he is exactly the kind of powerful, quick and skillful second row France need, unfortunately he doesn't play for Toulouse or Stade!

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 07 Mar 2016, 11:03 am

123456789 wrote:Anyone else seen that the Tories held their conference at Murrayfield? Now I'm not anti-Conservative by any means, I swing between them and the Lib Dems depending on the individual candidates and situation but given the perception of rugby as a posh boys sport and the conservatives as a posh boys party it beggars belief that not one person at the SRU realised that aligning the home of Scottish rugby with any party, particularly the Tories, was a bad idea.

Perhaps Ruth Davidson watched an Edinburgh game and thought Murrayfield coped well with people performing to an empty stadium.....

I couldn't care less. I just hope the SRU charged them a lot of money.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 07 Mar 2016, 12:07 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Perhaps Ruth Davidson watched an Edinburgh game and thought Murrayfield coped well with people performing to an empty stadium.....

To be fair, if there is any political party that could afford to be fleeced it would be them. I hope the SRU charged them 'wedding' prices. With any luck they chucked enough into the SRU coffers to sign a couple of big name players.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Prothero Mon 07 Mar 2016, 6:39 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

To be fair, if there is any political party that could afford to be fleeced it would be them.  I hope the SRU charged them 'wedding' prices.  With any luck they chucked enough into the SRU coffers to sign a couple of big name players.

I just hope the starter was nematode soup and the main was liberally sprinkled with Geoff Cross's beard as seasoning and for desert?... cranachan, cos a good cranachan can save any meal and I don't want to discourage investment just deliberately poison that bunch of chinless hooray henrys.

Prothero

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 07 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm

Some interesting analysis of the Scotland attack in the Wales game
https://vimeo.com/157700298

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 08 Mar 2016, 8:53 am

cakeordeath wrote:Some interesting analysis of the Scotland attack in the Wales game

When it's broken down like that, it's actually quite interesting and you can see where Scotland have vastly improved when it comes to decision making and thinking ahead by perhaps 2-3 phases.

Nice piece.

Last edited by Tattie Scones RRN on Tue 08 Mar 2016, 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 08 Mar 2016, 8:57 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:Some interesting analysis of the Scotland attack in the Wales game

Actually, when it's broken down like that, it's actually quite interesting and you can see where Scotland have vastly improved when it comes to decision making and thinking ahead by perhaps 2-3 phases.

Nice piece.

It also shows what a tactician Laidlaw is. He really bossed and made that try. He does not really get the credit he deserves for his ability to read and control a game.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 08 Mar 2016, 9:25 am

BigGee wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

Actually, when it's broken down like that, it's actually quite interesting and you can see where Scotland have vastly improved when it comes to decision making and thinking ahead by perhaps 2-3 phases.

Nice piece.

It also shows what a tactician Laidlaw is. He really bossed and made that try. He does not really get the credit he deserves for his ability to read and control a game.

Most peoples complaints about Laidlaw isn't his tactical abilities, but the speed of his service. It's nice to see him make a few sniping runs, but if he could just quicken things up then it would give Scotland a real edge.

The person who done this is doing a second video of the game against Italy. I will post the link here once it is online

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue 08 Mar 2016, 10:51 am

Prothero wrote:

I just hope the starter was nematode soup and the main was liberally sprinkled with Geoff Cross's beard as seasoning and for desert?... cranachan, cos a good cranachan can save any meal and I don't want to discourage investment just deliberately poison that bunch of chinless hooray henrys.

Fun fact: A nematode is born with 2 Michelin stars, we're that good at cooking.

Scotland 6N post mortem - Page 5 Tumblr_nklw7hj3o51t55xupo1_400

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 08 Mar 2016, 1:49 pm

BigGee wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

Nice piece.

Agreed. Whilst he can sometimes take the pace off things unnecessarily (this was particularly grim during the Scott Johnson era), he reads the game better than any other Scotland player and when he's on his game he's extremely effective.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Wed 09 Mar 2016, 1:06 pm

Matt Scott out for rest of 6N according to the BBC

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 09 Mar 2016, 1:15 pm

Shame that he went off injured in what will likely be his last ever game for Edinburgh

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 10 Mar 2016, 8:53 am

If anyone is interested, here is the team to play France tomorrow and it's being streamed on the SRU site:

Scotland under-20 team to play France under-20 in the Six Nations Championship at Broadwood Stadium this Friday (kick-off 8pm) – live streamed on www.scottishrugby.org

15. Ruairi Howarth (Gala)
14. Ben Robbins (Currie)
13. Rory Hutchinson (Northampton Saints)
12. Tom Galbraith (Melrose)
11. Darcy Graham (Hawick)

10. Adam Hastings (Bath Rugby)
9. Hugh Fraser (Heriot’s)

1. Murray McCallum (Heriot’s)
2. Jake Kerr (Boroughmuir)
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors)
4. Callum Hunter-Hill (Stirling County)
5. Scott Cummings CAPTAIN (Glasgow Hawks)
6. Andrew Davidson (Glasgow Hawks)
7. Matt Smith (Glasgow Hawks)
8. Ally Miller (Melrose)

Substitutes
16. Lewis Anderson (Ayr)
17. George Thornton (Bishop Burton College)
18. Callum Sheldon (Leeds Beckett University)
19. Stephen Ainslie (Currie)
20. Scott Burnside (Boroughmuir)
21. Ruaridh Dawson (Newcastle Falcons)
22. George Taylor (Melrose)
23. Robbie Nairn (Harlequins)

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 10 Mar 2016, 9:58 am

Best of luck to the U20 team. Some familiar names in there already which is pleasing.

I'm waiting for someone to assure me that young Lewis Anderson is already World Class.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next