The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electronic GumShield - possible way to prevent concussion ?

3 posters

Go down

Electronic GumShield - possible way to prevent concussion ? Empty Electronic GumShield - possible way to prevent concussion ?

Post by No9 Thu 18 Feb 2016 - 14:47

Anyone else see the Electronic Gumshield on ITVs new science show this week (Its Not Rocket Science)..

I've been trying to find a clip online and failed..

But those who didn't see it, its basically a Gum Shield with inbuilt LEDs (and more complex electronics), which light Green normally, but if the impact of a tackle is hard enough turn Amber and if really hard turns RED. It also, flags a signal to the "management" PCs to indicate how hard the tackle was.

I appreciate this is in its development stage, and from the testing their did on the show (basically tackling a presenter wearing it) it will need some development, but I would thought with the right calibration and settings, this could be the way forward in monitoring the big hits a player takes which can cause concussion.

I'm sure that modules could even be added to head-guards and as all (top stream) players now have a chip (or sorts) in the jersey for performance tracking, I'm sure these could also be configured over the course of time.

I do hope this gets the backing to be developed further, as it will completely take away the human element in the decision process.

I actually think the Green light (on the gumsheild) was a little bright, but if there is a clear visible Amber and Red, then the player cant avoid the officials seeing it and taking action.

Those who saw the show, what do you think? .. Ok the show was usual showbiz cr@p, but I think this idea has merit, and hope its developed.

Those who didn't see it, worth a view on ITVPlayer (just for the gumsheild.. about half way through).

No9

Back to top Go down

Electronic GumShield - possible way to prevent concussion ? Empty Re: Electronic GumShield - possible way to prevent concussion ?

Post by No9 Thu 18 Feb 2016 - 14:51

.. oh... and the presenter being tackled was comedian Romesh Rangana, being tackled by Luther Burrell... With Rachel Riley "explaining" it..

No9

Back to top Go down

Electronic GumShield - possible way to prevent concussion ? Empty Re: Electronic GumShield - possible way to prevent concussion ?

Post by sad_gimp Thu 18 Feb 2016 - 15:09

Sarries have been trialling those patches that sit behind the ear and monitor knocks. Putting it into a gumshield is not a bad way of doing it either though.

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu 18 Feb 2016 - 16:22

At least folks are looking for solutions to measure these impacts but I fear we are still a long way from fully understanding what effect measured impacts will have on the human body

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down