The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh Rugby vs Scarlets: Pro12 Sunday 28th Feb

+12
TheMildlyFranticLlama
GLove39
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
Seagultaf
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
LordDowlais
ScarletSpiderman
VinceWLB
RDW
EWT Spoons
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Edinburgh Rugby vs Scarlets: Pro12 Sunday 28th Feb Empty Edinburgh Rugby vs Scarlets: Pro12 Sunday 28th Feb

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 23 Feb 2016, 4:41 pm

Edinburgh Rugby   v   Scarlets
Sunday 28th February 2016, KO 14:05
BT Murrayfield
TV: BBC2 Scotland

Edinburgh form
Last 3 Matches
19/2/16 Ospreys 27 - 13 Edinburgh
12/2/16 Scarlets 22 - 21 Edinburgh
30/1/16 Blues 10 - 3 Edinburgh

Scarlets form
Last 3 Matches
21/2/16 Ulster 20 - 21 Scarlets
12/2/16 Scarlets 22 - 21 Edinburgh
30/1/16 Connacht 30 - 17 Scarlets

Teams

Edinburgh
TBC

Scarlets
TBC

Referee: Dudley Phillips - IRFU
Asst. Ref: Keith Allan & Kevin Ormiston SRU (both)
Citing commissioner: Iain Goodall
TMO: Neil Paterson

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh Rugby vs Scarlets: Pro12 Sunday 28th Feb Empty Re: Edinburgh Rugby vs Scarlets: Pro12 Sunday 28th Feb

Post by RDW Tue 23 Feb 2016, 4:53 pm

Good job Spoons.

We've said it the last 3 games, but this really is all or nothing - lose this and surely out Top 6 aspirations are over.

2 points from the 3 trips to Wales really wasn't good enough and seriously dented our hopes. What makes it more frustrating is that, like many games this season, we really could have won 2 of those and really should have beaten the Scarlets. The Blues game just sounds like a terrible performance all round.

Given Scarlet's performance last week I'm not confident - we need to put an 80 minute performance in. Not have a bad start like against the Scarlets and not fade away like against the O's.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh Rugby vs Scarlets: Pro12 Sunday 28th Feb Empty Re: Edinburgh Rugby vs Scarlets: Pro12 Sunday 28th Feb

Post by VinceWLB Tue 23 Feb 2016, 7:20 pm

I see they downgraded Paterson to TMO, which sounds like a retirement path. Not really surprised, he wasn't really up to it and i will never forget that debacle during the Ospreys Ulster game last season when Owens had to step up.

Must win game for Edinburgh, as is next game the week after against Connacht if they want to stay in the hunt for top 4.

Last edited by VinceWLB on Tue 23 Feb 2016, 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 23 Feb 2016, 7:22 pm

Top 4?? Top 6 is looking pretty tough as it is!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 23 Feb 2016, 7:24 pm

I still had hope of a top 4!

But yeah realistically and how they usually fade toward the end of the season, they will do well to get top 6.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 23 Feb 2016, 7:47 pm

If we'd won 3 or 4 of the games this season that we really should have won then we would have absolutely been on the driving seat for top 4.

As it stands the league is so tight they are now the difference between top 4 and missing out entirely!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 23 Feb 2016, 8:12 pm

Scarlets are hopefully going to have Cubby back. But I can't see us having any of our internationals back.

Collins looked pretty knocked up last match, and Gareth Owen went of with what looked like a nasty head knock. So I am worried we are lacking in back three options.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 24 Feb 2016, 11:22 am

Deadly Dudley is reffing this one, God help. Edinburgh will win this, DP will make it so, just to keep the Irish sides on top. He is without a doubt the worst ref in the league, and he has the second worst ref as the TMO as well, Scarlets do not have a hope in hell with those two running the show.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 24 Feb 2016, 11:47 am

LordDowlais wrote:Deadly Dudley is reffing this one, God help. Edinburgh will win this, DP will make it so, just to keep the Irish sides on top. He is without a doubt the worst ref in the league, and he has the second worst ref as the TMO as well, Scarlets do not have a hope in hell with those two running the show.

I don't think he will be wonky towards Edinburgh, if anything I think it will be the other way. He seems to ref tot the team that has the better rep/standing. And I believe that the Scarlets are seen as the 'bigger' team (could be just one-eyed arrogance though). Apparently Wayne Pivac has actually requested Irish officials where possible as we have had worse times with Welsh officials, and he believes the Irish refs have refereed us more consistent.

AS for the match, I am really a bit concerned. A fortnight ago Edinburgh came to PYS and should have won, and they know that. I can't see them taking that result lightly, and I think they will be after revenge. Yes, the Scarlets seemed to have learnt to tackle again, and put in a good shift against Ulster, but that game at PYS must be a bit of a niggling noise in the back of the Scarlets mind.

I think the Scarlets are more than capable of going up there and coming back with the result, but I have a feeling we will end up coming home with only a losing bonus point.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 24 Feb 2016, 11:48 am

LD - are you suggesting that Dudders is actually worse than the Gibbon or Clownshoes? I never had him down as anything apart from a fairly harmless, rudimentary pedant.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 24 Feb 2016, 11:49 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I think the Scarlets are more than capable of going up there and coming back with the result

If they play like they did on Sunday there is no reason why they should not win.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 24 Feb 2016, 11:51 am

LordDowlais wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:I think the Scarlets are more than capable of going up there and coming back with the result

If they play like they did on Sunday there is no reason why they should not win.

If they play like the week before there is no reason Edinburgh shouldn't get the full five points.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 24 Feb 2016, 11:55 am

George Carlin wrote:LD - are you suggesting that Dudders is actually worse than the Gibbon or Clownshoes? I never had him down as anything apart from a fairly harmless, rudimentary pedant.

Yep, him, Neil Paterson and David Wilkinson, they are the worst refs I have ever seen, and they are the reason why there are cries of bias in the league.

I just think those three refs are so poor, that they revert to type when they are reffing, they do not intend to be biased, they are just so out of their depth, they will just ref what they know, and that is to an Irish style unfortunately.

I was at the Liberty Stadium at the start of the season to watch Munster against Ospreys, Dudley Phillips only reffed one side, he was the difference between Munster winning and Ospreys losing, the ref should never have that much bearing on a result.

Peter Fitzgibbon and George Clancy used to be like that, but they have just become more experienced and are just pedantic refs now, they get things wrong for both sides, but they spoil the game for everyone with their antics, they do not affect the results as much as they used to.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 24 Feb 2016, 2:13 pm

On a positive note, the best ref I've watched this season was Ian Davies. Hope he gets more Edinburgh games!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 24 Feb 2016, 2:18 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:On a positive note, the best ref I've watched this season was Ian Davies. Hope he gets more Edinburgh games!

Agreed.

Apart from him and Owens the rest are all God awful, so you really need to get in a position where a bad refereeing decision won't cost you the game!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:48 am

I've just realised that with the 6 Nations on Friday and Saturday, this game on Sunday and Glasgow last night, I'll have watched a live rugby game four days in a row. Spectacular!

Hopefully nothnig silly from Solomons on team selection. He's got Ben Toolis and Hamish Watson back which is a good thing from an Edinburgh perspective.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:50 am

And Matt Scott! Unless he's travelling reserve for Scotland

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:51 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:And Matt Scott! Unless he's travelling reserve for Scotland

I've got mixed views on that. Beard and Allan have been playing really well together.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:53 am

As have Scott and Allan though - they were very good together in the 1872 triumph

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 26 Feb 2016, 11:46 am

Davies is one of only two changes to the side that secured victory over Ulster last weekend with Maselino Paulino coming in on the blindside flank.

Scarlets' front row, second row and back-row all remain unchanged as the Scarlets head to Edinburgh looking for a third consecutive victory to further cement their place in the play-off positions.

Speaking ahead of the Guinness PRO12 clash Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac said: "Edinburgh haven't been an easy opponent for us since I've been here and they'll be looking forward to getting an opportunity to put things right. Despite starting well against them last season we ended up in an arm wrestle and finished with a draw.

"They also brought our home record to an end last season so we certainly have a healthy respect for them. They have a good set-piece, they play to their strengths and it'll be a competition whatever side they put out.

"We have to be mindful we've been through a big game. This week has been all about how we get the boys ready mentally and physically for the same sort of performance as last week."

Scarlets team to take on Edinburgh at BT Murrayfield, Sunday 28th February, kick-off 2.05pm;

15 Michael Collins,
14 Gareth Owen,
13 Regan King,
12 Hadleigh Parkes ©,
11 DTH van der Merwe,
10 Aled Thomas,
9 Aled Davies,

1 Phil John,
2 Kirby Myhill,
3 Peter Edwards,
4 George Earle,
5 David Bulbring,
6 Maselino Paulino,
7 James Davies,
8 Morgan Allen

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Dylan Evans, Rhodri Jones, Rory Pitman, Will Boyde, Rhodri Williams, Dan Jones, Steff Evans

Unavailable for selection: Scott Williams (knee), Josh Macleod (foot), Harry Robinson (hamstring), Emyr Phillips (knee), Jack Condy (shoulder), Ben Leung (knee), Lewis Rawlins (neck), Tom Williams (shoulder), Steve Shingler (knee), Aaron Shingler (concussion)

International duty: John Barclay (Scotland), Jake Ball, Gareth Davies, Rob Evans, Samson Lee, Ken Owens (all Wales), Jordan Williams (Wales 7s), Tom Phillips (Wales U20)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 26 Feb 2016, 11:57 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:As have Scott and Allan though - they were very good together in the 1872 triumph

Very good point, and worth mentioning again!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:26 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Davies is one of only two changes to the side that secured victory over Ulster last weekend with Maselino Paulino coming in on the blindside flank.

Scarlets' front row, second row and back-row all remain unchanged as the Scarlets head to Edinburgh looking for a third consecutive victory to further cement their place in the play-off positions.

Speaking ahead of the Guinness PRO12 clash Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac said: "Edinburgh haven't been an easy opponent for us since I've been here and they'll be looking forward to getting an opportunity to put things right. Despite starting well against them last season we ended up in an arm wrestle and finished with a draw.

"They also brought our home record to an end last season so we certainly have a healthy respect for them. They have a good set-piece, they play to their strengths and it'll be a competition whatever side they put out.

"We have to be mindful we've been through a big game. This week has been all about how we get the boys ready mentally and physically for the same sort of performance as last week."

Scarlets team to take on Edinburgh at BT Murrayfield, Sunday 28th February, kick-off 2.05pm;

15 Michael Collins,
14 Gareth Owen,
13 Regan King,
12 Hadleigh Parkes ©, u
11 DTH van der Merwe,
10 Aled Thomas,
9 Aled Davies,

1 Phil John,
2 Kirby Myhill,
3 Peter Edwards,
4 George Earle,
5 David Bulbring,
6 Maselino Paulino,
7 James Davies,
8 Morgan Allen

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Dylan Evans, Rhodri Jones, Rory Pitman, Will Boyde, Rhodri Williams, Dan Jones, Steff Evans

Unavailable for selection: Scott Williams (knee), Josh Macleod (foot), Harry Robinson (hamstring), Emyr Phillips (knee), Jack Condy (shoulder), Ben Leung (knee), Lewis Rawlins (neck), Tom Williams (shoulder), Steve Shingler (knee), Aaron Shingler (concussion)

International duty: John Barclay (Scotland), Jake Ball, Gareth Davies, Rob Evans, Samson Lee, Ken Owens (all Wales), Jordan Williams (Wales 7s), Tom Phillips (Wales U20)

Scarlets resources still really stretched, you can add Tagicakibau and Liam Williams to the list of unavailable players taking the total to 20 and partially explain why Owen as a not particularly quick centre is playing at wing and that the Scarlets have three 35 year olds starting! Good to see Cubby back though, hopefully he is fully fit and recovered. Playing Paulino at 6 questions the logic of releasing Turnbull and Macusker.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:32 pm

Head Coach Alan Solomons has made only two changes to his starting team to face Scarlets at BT Murrayfield this Sunday (kick-off 2.05pm) – live on BBC 2 Scotland.

With a number of players out injured and on international duty, wing Damien Hoyland, who recently signed a new two year deal at the club, is the only member of the Edinburgh starting side who didn’t feature in last week’s 27-13 away loss to Ospreys.

The only other change is also in the back-three, where 19-year-old Blair Kinghorn, will make his third start for the club at full-back.

Joining Hoyland and Kinghorn in the back three is Tom Brown, who starts on the left wing.

In an otherwise unchanged backline, Sam Beard and Michael Allen continue at centre, while Sean Kennedy and Phil Burleigh remain as the half-back duo.

Last week’s try-scorer, Allan Dell, packs down at loosehead prop, with John Andress taking up the tighthead berth, and Neil Cochrane captaining the team from hooker.

Ben Toolis is released from the national team to don the number five shirt, and continues his well-established partnership with Anton Bresler in the second-row.

Jamie Ritchie and Hamish Watson start in the back-row, either side of Cornell Du Preez, who completes the pack at number eight.

Head Coach Alan Solomons said:

“With international call-ups and injury this will yet again be a test of the strength in depth of our squad. Our players are looking forward to meeting the challenge this presents."

Players not considered due to injury: Mike Coman (calf), Jack Cuthbert (knee), Grant Gilchrist (arm),Nasi Manu (neck), Fraser McKenzie (neck), Andries Strauss (knee and ankle) Jade Te Rure (knee) Grant Gilchrist (arm).

Absent on international duty: Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, WP Nel, John Hardie, Matt Scott, Stuart McInally, Rory Sutherland.

Edinburgh Rugby team to play Scarlets Guinness PRO12, BT Murrayfield, Sunday 28 February (kick-off 2.05pm) – live on BBC 2 Scotland

15. Blair Kinghorn

14. Damien Hoyland

13. Michael Allen

12. Sam Beard

11. Tom Brown

10. Phil Burleigh

9. Sean Kennedy

1. Allan Dell

2. Neil Cochrane CAPTAIN

3. John Andress

4. Anton Bresler

5. Ben Toolis

6. Jamie Ritchie

7. Hamish Watson

8. Cornell Du Preez

Substitutes

16. George Turner

17. Grant Sheills

18. Simon Berghan

19. Alex Toolis

20. Magnus Bradbury

21. Nathan Fowles

22. Chris Dean

23. Dougie Fife

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:39 pm

Decent Edinburgh team given the international call ups. Let hope they can put a performance together!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:40 pm

Good to see Kinghorn getting a start - looks like he's goal kicking too.

Looks like Tonks has been dropped completely - not listed as injured or with Scotland.

Looks like Matt Scott is the travelling reserve for Scotland.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sat 27 Feb 2016, 10:04 pm

I keep looking at Edinburgh and think they look good, then they disappoint me. Happy to see Kinghorn start. Bradbury vs Ritchie is a question mark. Still feel it is the wrong way round. Still annoyed about Berghan not getting a start.

If Kinghorn can kick, that pack will do well at scrumtime and should win a few penalties.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 28 Feb 2016, 6:55 am

Agree with Mr/Ms Sapling. On paper that's a pretty exciting young back line and an absolutely solid pack (especially with Toolis returned back to his club). But can they start to consistently deliver?

Hopefully Edinburgh can knock this Scarlet side over and do us all a favor.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 28 Feb 2016, 2:22 pm

Phil Burleigh is class, by some margin Edinburgh best back despite playing out of position.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 28 Feb 2016, 2:23 pm

Doh Preez picard

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 28 Feb 2016, 2:35 pm

This is Du Preez's worst performance I've seen!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 28 Feb 2016, 2:36 pm

Edinburgh having a mare

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 28 Feb 2016, 2:36 pm

We've done OK with the ball but have been headless chickens in other aspects!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 28 Feb 2016, 2:37 pm

That defense was like watching Edinburgh of 3 seasons ago picard

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 28 Feb 2016, 2:38 pm

So many mistakes!

We really need to hang on to halftime and regroup.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 28 Feb 2016, 2:44 pm

This could be a long afternoon for Edinburgh, and signal the end of our Top 6 aspirations.

Embarrassing to lose 23 points before halftime at home!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:02 pm

Simon Berghan on at halftime and immediately wins a scrum penalty!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:16 pm

Berghan eating his opposite number - why has he not been played more??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:19 pm

Immense scrummaging from Berghan

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:19 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Berghan eating his opposite number - why has he not been played more??

The same reason Strauss has been picked instead of Beard. Being the coach mate helps.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:20 pm

Missed the first 30 minutes but it does look like Beard is having another good game. Shame he's leaving!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:21 pm

Edinburgh looking tired but desperately need a score soon - Scarlets one try away from a BP

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:31 pm

Kennedy doing a good impression of someone who has no idea whats going on around him!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by SRN Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:32 pm

Davies has been a thorn in Edinburgh's side. You wouldn't think he's been injured for 3 months. Watson is being totally outplayed by his opposite number sadly.

I know he's almost the wrong side of 30 but, if Burleigh keeps this up, I think he could be in the mix for Finn Russell's backup when he qualifies next year.

SRN

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:35 pm

Huge carry from Bradbury!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:39 pm

Bradbury showing why it is ridiculous to play Ritchie over him.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:45 pm

Tom Brown is such a nutter in defence, absolutely no fear of breaking himself. I do hope he gets some game time for Scotland at some point

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:47 pm

Dare I ask the score?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:49 pm

24-23 in the final minute with a Scarlets scrum!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:49 pm

24-23 Edinburgh - thank feck for that!

Came back from 10 points down and the Scarlets scored no points in the 2nd half.

Scarlets would have won with a better kicker!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 28 Feb 2016, 3:51 pm

Yahoo
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next