The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night

+36
EX7EY
Rodney
tunes666
Derbymanc
Nico the gman
mobilemaster8
RanjitPatel
ONETWOFOREVER
Happytravelling
djlovesyou
Hammersmith harrier
tommyhearnsprodigalson
Lance
aja424
owen10ozzy
wheelchair1991
Herman Jaeger
TRUSSMAN66
JohnPrescottsJab
catchweight
B.A. BARACUS
Baby faced assassin
Jermaine2015
Good Golly I'm Olly
Coxy001
Scottrf
Pedro147
Steffan
ShahenshahG
milkyboy
BoxingFan88
Dipper Brown
AdamT
hazharrison
Rowley
TheMarvelousOne
40 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night - Page 8 Empty Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night

Post by TheMarvelousOne Sat 27 Feb 2016, 8:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Amazed there is no dedicated thread for this fight!

Where is everyone watching it? Im at home, beer at the moment then onto the vino with a curry on standby.

Who have you got to win? Always thought Frampton would win this but have seen a calmness in Quigg this week that exudes extreme confidence. Frampton on the other hand has seemed tetchy at the press conference and weigh-in and seems to have used up too much energy in trying to get under Team Quiggs skin.

TheMarvelousOne

Back to top Go down

Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night - Page 8 Empty Re: Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night

Post by huw Mon 29 Feb 2016, 1:43 pm

hazharrison wrote:
huw wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
Frampton may not have being busy like Hank Armstrong but he was throwing and landing enough to sweep the first 7-8 rounds. He was the one leading, he was the one controlling the pace.

I'm not saying he wasn't bust or pressing the fight but in the first 6 rounds there were probably on 2-3 scoring punches. In this instance I'm not sure that the person throwing and being made to miss deserves to score more than the person defending well but throwing little (if anything) back.

We aren't talking about someone who landed 30-40 punches more than the other, there were only 2-3 punches difference in most of the early rounds.

Mate, Quigg barely threw a punch and landed virtually nothing of note. While Frampton was economical, he was the man controlling the rounds, landing the better shots and exhibiting the better ring generalship. He fought his fight and made Quigg fight the way he wanted him to.

You don't need to land 30 more punches than your opponent to win a round.

I'm not saying you do need to, just that if you only manage to land 2-3 punches more than the other guy whilst throwing 30-40 punches more than them it shows the other guy is obviously defending very well.

Not in denial about the result and was neutral on this fight, just think that the rounds looked so close I didn't think either had earned the rounds so drawing them was probably the only fair score in how I would have scored it.

huw

Back to top Go down

Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night - Page 8 Empty Re: Frampton v Quigg - Fight Night

Post by Coxy001 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 1:47 pm

To be fair CompuBox does highlight how woefully inactive Quigg was for the first 6 and pretty much gave the fight away there and then. "IF" he'd have forced the pace who knows...? That is the sole reason why I want to see the rematch, Quigg hopefully won't freeze and/or come in to the fight with the gameplan of trying to play counter puncher against the better boxer.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 29 Feb 2016, 2:04 pm

Also I think when rounds are close and neither fighter throws or lands much it's the slicker boxer who always seems to get the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know why but maybe using your head and legs to make an opponent miss looks flashier than making him miss by blocking.

But it's of course in no way more effective just more eye catching.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Mon 29 Feb 2016, 2:07 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Also I think when rounds are close and neither fighter throws or lands much it's the slicker boxer who always seems to get the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know why but  maybe using your head and legs to make an opponent miss looks flashier than making him miss by blocking.

But it's of course in no way more effective just more eye catching.

I think this is because in the heat of the moment, when combinations are being thrown and somebody is getting peppered with punches its sometimes hard to tell if one or two got though. Where as if you're displaying good quality movement and evading punches altogether yoo're removing any question marks. Just my thoughts on that point.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 29 Feb 2016, 2:24 pm

EX7EY wrote:
huw wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
Frampton may not have being busy like Hank Armstrong but he was throwing and landing enough to sweep the first 7-8 rounds. He was the one leading, he was the one controlling the pace.

I'm not saying he wasn't bust or pressing the fight but in the first 6 rounds there were probably on 2-3 scoring punches. In this instance I'm not sure that the person throwing and being made to miss deserves to score more than the person defending well but throwing little (if anything) back.

We aren't talking about someone who landed 30-40 punches more than the other, there were only 2-3 punches difference in most of the early rounds.

But surely in a fight where not much is happening you've got to edge the rounds to the guy who is boxing better no?  It was clear Carl was the fighter who was controlling the pace and the action.

As I've said on another thread, if Quiggs tactics were to have a conservative opening 6 rounds then fair enough, but you must do something by way of aggression.  Carl wasn't leaving much opportunity to counter punch so finish the rounds busy at least.  You have to at least give the judges a question to answer, a decision to make.  There was no decision because Quigg wasn't throwing and when he was throwing he was missing badly.

Carl was in control for me in the first half.  So even if you want to get really technical and go right down to the numbers, you absolutely could have a case to say neither landed much at all, but the fight was fought at Framptons pace and he controlled it well so as a judge I would have to lean toward Frampton.

Again it would depend what you are looking at in the fight.

You may have seem Frampton throwing 40 punches to Quigg's 10 punches so yes he was more aggressive, yet I saw Quigg avoid 35-37 of Frampton's punches and Frampton avoid around 9 of Quigg's.

Boxing is about hitting and not getting hit back, neither of them was really hitting but Quigg was so tight defensively I was impressed by that aspect of his game.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Mon 29 Feb 2016, 2:32 pm

You're right its all about perspective and if you like a tight gaurd and good defensive work then fair enough.

Im not just saying its about aggression though because neither fighter was what I would call aggressive. What Im getting at is, Quiggs defensive work may well have been good but he was barely trying to attack, and when he did Frampton made him look silly at times until the second half of the fight.

While Carl didnt land a lot and Quigg did display some sound defensive skills he wasn't doing enough to win the rounds. Its great being tight defensively but you must couple that with something coming forward, and Quigg offered nothing at all.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 29 Feb 2016, 2:50 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:The talk on here is LSC and Rigo, I think Donaire has enough to give both Quigg and Frampton huge problems.

LSC versus Rigo??!

Or do you mean LSC-Framp and Rigo-Quigg? Have seen that bandied around.
I can see how I've wrote it may be confusing, should have been worded better, the talk on here is of Frampton fighting LSC or Frampton fighting Rigo, and Hearn has said that Quigg could fight Shingo Wake,or Donaire.
But I personally think if either Frampton or Quigg  fought Donaire he would give them huge problems, and in all probability I think he beats either one of them.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 3:24 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:I'd love to see Quigg v Santa Cruz, that could be a real barnburner.

I think Barry will continue to avoid Santa, I think Carl could struggle with Santa's size.

Anyone would struggle with Santa's size, I'm surprised he gets down any chimneys at all tbh

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 3:36 pm

Laugh Laugh Laugh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 29 Feb 2016, 3:37 pm

He has a year to make weight Sheng, rehydrates on sherry to the size of a small country on boxing day.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 3:57 pm

But does anyone know why Barry is avoiding Santa?

Did he do something bad?

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:44 pm

I doubt Frampton will take on Santa Cruz next. Usually its the norm now after a big fight like this for a fighter to take a break and then come back to a straightforward defence or two while the next potential big fight marinates.

Frampton had a 17 week training camp apprently? I think they will for a easier defence first after exorcising the Quigg demons and all the fanfare that went with it. Frampton could probably benefit from a more explosive performance to ease a few of the doubts being raised and give him some more momentum going into a Santa Cruz fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 01 Mar 2016, 10:50 am

Dropped twice by a nobody and then 12 turgid rounds with someone people seem to think isn't that good anyway - agree with Catchy, think Frampton needs a 'look good' fight before LSC, pref in the States, to maximise his financial return from a fight he could likely lose.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 01 Mar 2016, 11:24 am

This is why I liked Froch(at least until the tail end of his career) no messing around, no fiddling about with look good milking fights, once he'd reached world level it was the best for him and nothing but the best. Never kept the fans waiting

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 01 Mar 2016, 11:25 am

Could his lack of a limelight/continued bitterness over the JC shadow have been the major factor behind this though?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 01 Mar 2016, 11:54 am

I don't want to go there Toppy, yesterday's news, let sleeping dogs lie.

But I do understand DeGale's frustration...

Anyway though, you're not seriously giving Framps a look good fight?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 01 Mar 2016, 12:23 pm

Yesterday's news but a relevant point, I feel. Though only partial explanation - I also always liked that, that aside, I still felt Froch always wanted to gun for the biggest challenges.

Ref Framps, ideally, boxing would never be anything but the top few fighters dooking it out but reality is that doesn't happen. Ergo I think it's reasonable, even sensible, for Carl to have a look good fight.

Not necessarily a gimme, but basically someone to help drum up interest in the LSC match up.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 01 Mar 2016, 12:29 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Yesterday's news but a relevant point, I feel.  Though only partial explanation - I also always liked that, that aside, I still felt Froch always wanted to gun for the biggest challenges.

Ref Framps, ideally, boxing would never be anything but the top few fighters dooking it out but reality is that doesn't happen. Ergo I think it's reasonable, even sensible, for Carl to have a look good fight.

Not necessarily a gimme, but basically someone to help drum up interest in the LSC match up.

Do they need that? FRampton's just beaten Quigg, LSC just pounded Martinez. I think that should be the next fight (and initial noises indicate it will be).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 01 Mar 2016, 12:42 pm

But Framps said he felt vey comfortable in the Quigg fight thought he won easily , I can't see how a lesser fight can drum anymore interest in the Santa fight? Beat Donaire or Selby and that would raise the anticipation considerably but beating someone he's expected to beat I'm not sure this adds anything to a Santa clash.

But if he had a hard 17 week camp then I see your point, might be sensible to take a lesser opponent next. Re-charge and gear up.

Also a  few said they already seeing signs of diminishment in Framps. Would you agree? And is that worrying considering he's only had one world level fight? Two if you want to call Martinez that too. And does that mean he didn't look too good in second half of Quigg fight?

Personally I think he was merely conserving energy and Santa Cruz is tailored for him, at least on paper.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 01 Mar 2016, 12:50 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Yesterday's news but a relevant point, I feel.  Though only partial explanation - I also always liked that, that aside, I still felt Froch always wanted to gun for the biggest challenges.

Froch had to go for the big names, he had a career without any money fights until the Super Six and then only had a few years before retirement. Frampton is a young man so has more time and earning potential on his side.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 01 Mar 2016, 2:02 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:But Framps said he felt vey comfortable in the Quigg fight thought he won easily , I can't see how a lesser fight can drum anymore interest in the Santa fight? Beat Donaire or Selby and that would raise the anticipation considerably but beating someone he's expected to beat I'm not sure this adds anything to a Santa clash.

But if he had a hard 17 week camp then I see your point, might be sensible to take a lesser opponent next. Re-charge and gear up.

Also a  few said they already seeing signs of diminishment in Framps. Would you agree? And is that worrying considering he's only had one world level fight? Two if you want to call Martinez that too. And does that mean he didn't look too good in second half of Quigg fight?

Personally I think he was merely conserving energy and Santa Cruz is tailored for him, at least on paper.

I definitely think he's tight at the weight (he wasn't as good in the latter half of both the Kiko rematch and the Quigg fight as he was in the first eight or do rounds). I thought he boxed very well myself - certainly hasn't shown any wear and tear (which you wouldn't imagine he would with the number of fights he's had).

LSC would be a great fight. Imagine that outdoors in the summer in NI. It would be magic.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 01 Mar 2016, 2:19 pm

You're not wrong Haz, that fight would have a genuine buzz.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Tue 01 Mar 2016, 4:10 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:But Framps said he felt vey comfortable in the Quigg fight thought he won easily , I can't see how a lesser fight can drum anymore interest in the Santa fight? Beat Donaire or Selby and that would raise the anticipation considerably but beating someone he's expected to beat I'm not sure this adds anything to a Santa clash.

I definitely think he's tight at the weight (he wasn't as good in the latter half of both the Kiko rematch and the Quigg fight as he was in the first eight or do rounds). I thought he boxed very well myself - certainly hasn't shown any wear and tear (which you wouldn't imagine he would with the number of fights he's had).

LSC would be a great fight. Imagine that outdoors in the summer in NI. It would be magic.

Not just the North of the Island though, would be big anywhere in Ireland.

Croke Park would be great too.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 01 Mar 2016, 4:26 pm

It would be great in Vegas but especially good in Ireland with that frenzied support. Santa has always said he likes seeing other countries.

It's the money fight too..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Tue 01 Mar 2016, 4:32 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:It would be great in Vegas but especially good in Ireland with that frenzied support. Santa has always said he likes seeing other countries.

It's the money fight too..

Of course Santa loves seeing other countries, he visits them all at least once a year.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 01 Mar 2016, 4:37 pm

Both with Haymon, both ready, both just won, both wanting to become number one...

Strike while the iron is hot is what I say.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Tue 01 Mar 2016, 4:44 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Both with Haymon, both ready, both just won, both wanting to become number one...

Strike while the iron is hot is what I say.

At what weight though?

If its at feather does Frampton simply vacate the IBF/WBA straps, as he will not be able to defend against mandatories Shigo Wake and Rigo?

If it is at featherweight, and Framps loses, does he stay there or move back down with his Super Bantam reputation in tact?

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 01 Mar 2016, 4:49 pm

How about have it at 24? I think Leo said he'd be up for a catchweight or 26 dependent on what Frampton prefers

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Tue 01 Mar 2016, 4:55 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:How about have it at 24? I think Leo said he'd be up for a catchweight or 26 dependent on what Frampton prefers

For what belt?

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 01 Mar 2016, 4:59 pm

Well seeing as Barry has ruled out Rigo, whatever's left over I guess

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8