The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eddie Jones - England's New Coach

+58
Sgt_Pooly
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
rozakthegoon
sensisball
hugehandoff
Rowanbi
Sin é
Dubbelyew L Overate
nlpnlp
Cyril
B91212
WELL-PAST-IT
George Carlin
SecretFly
TrailApe
sad_gimp
gregortree
Pot Hale
cb
wrfc1980
Mad for Chelsea
Cumbrian
nobbled
jamesandimac
quinsforever
jbeadlesbigrighthand
fa0019
Gooseberry
Gwlad
majesticimperialman
TJ
DaveM
kingelderfield
yappysnap
doctor_grey
king_carlos
nathan
BigTrevsbigmac
gog1992
RubyGuby
funnyExiledScot
BamBam
munkian
englandglory4ever
screamingaddabs
little_badger
HammerofThunor
Barney McGrew did it
Rugby Fan
Scottrf
Exiledinborders
offload
thomh
bluestonevedder
Geordie
Poorfour
LondonTiger
62 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Eddie Jones - England's New Coach - Page 3 Empty Eddie Jones - England's New Coach

Post by LondonTiger Mon 15 Feb 2016, 1:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Kruis and Joseph were both poor in the first half. Kruis's tactics when calling the lineouts were shockingly bad. Hartley got away with two squint throws at the start, but was then pinged for a crooked one and saw one pinched. All four Kruis called to himself. After that the calls got more and more complicated, involving a lit of movement and switching of positions - yet every time he kept calling to himself, thus easy to defend and predict.

I am torn on Joseph. Until he made the interception he had been really poor, but that was fantastic play - as was his finish for the 3rd try. so strangely I woul dnot say he was the best player - but with 3 key moments he was MotM i guess.

Youngs did ok, for me 6/10 - average - though having checked about a Dozen reviews now he got one 6, two 8s (crazy) and the rest 7s. One journo even stated he was clearly Englands best player in the first half. Cannot agree - but a sign that we all see things differently.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Eddie Jones - England's New Coach - Page 3 Empty Re: Eddie Jones - England's New Coach

Post by LondonTiger Wed 24 Feb 2016, 7:40 am

Sir Hairy Mallinder the once and future king.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Eddie Jones - England's New Coach - Page 3 Empty Re: Eddie Jones - England's New Coach

Post by DaveM Wed 24 Feb 2016, 8:28 pm

kingelderfield wrote:I think it should be noted, as was the case with May, that Daly's inclusion should come with a health warning. He is very much a work in progress who maybe be found out at the highest level.

He possesses great pace however also exhibits, the often seen and poorly coached, habits of a player who has just run round or passed his age group opposition; poor spatial awareness and pass execution, added to this he has been shown up in the tackle.

So definitely a work in progress who I hope will really benefit from the exposure.

Finally please ignore the 'donkey kick'. He's often inaccurate and others are far more practiced if not quite as long. I'd far rather he focused his time on 'in play' performance than straining his hamy in an exercise in egotism.

Would be happy to see him on the bench covering 13 & wing, FB at a push, but not 12 where he has NO experience.

He'd be wasted at 12. But he is ready for international rugby - he's been playing far better than Joseph. And his long-range goal-kicking is a huge asset.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 27 Feb 2016, 6:47 pm

Well at this point I thought I ( as a slightly myopic Scotland fan ) would make a couple of points

Hartley as Captain - I said early on that it could be a great move or suicidal. so far its been good. No temper from Hartley and a few good captaincy touches - managing his players and the ref well. So thats a good call from Jones so far

Farrell at 12 - I still don't get it. its just not working for me. When england have such good outside backs they should get some decent ball - they don't. I have seen no clever moves in the backs, no space created by having two playmakers, just shovelling on Poopie. Where are the runarounds / loops, the dummy plays? The mixing it up?

Vunipola - can we outlaw him please? Its not fair on the rest of us! He doesn't do anything but run straight with the ball but he gets England go forward ball all the time and takes 3 guys out of the game. NO sidestep, nothing fancy but he is responsible for almost all the go forward england get. I think players of his width should be banned - how are you supposed to tackle him? You can't get your arms around him - even one leg is equal to two normal players!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 27 Feb 2016, 6:50 pm

Billy is class.

Itoje made a few carries that showed what he is capable and Haskell made a couple of big carries. If those two can increase their number of carries...ill be happy.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 27 Feb 2016, 6:51 pm

Imagine Hughes & Vuinipola in the same backrow Shocked

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 27 Feb 2016, 6:54 pm

That would be scary

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 27 Feb 2016, 7:20 pm

I was surprised that Eddie Jones took Owen Farrell off when Elliot Dailey came on. well done Eddie. Nice move.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 28 Feb 2016, 2:31 am

majesticimperialman wrote:I was surprised that Eddie Jones took Owen Farrell off when Elliot Dailey came on. well done Eddie. Nice move.

Well Farrell Snr is no longer there to 'influence' the coach's decision making is he.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Sun 28 Feb 2016, 8:57 am

Eddie, Not sure what you see in Robshaw now. He looks slow and doesn't seem to have an aggressive bone in his body. He just goes through the motions, slowly. (I suppose we all do first thing in the morning).

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sun 28 Feb 2016, 9:04 am

majesticimperialman wrote:I was surprised that Eddie Jones took Owen Farrell off when Elliot Dailey came on. well done Eddie. Nice move.

I thought is was refreshing to see England bring on an experienced centre - in the centre. Rugby can so simple.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 28 Feb 2016, 9:19 am

Gwlad wrote:

Well Farrell Snr is no longer there to 'influence' the coach's decision making is he.
No. We can now see that an independent coach picked Farrell to start all three games so any suggestion of bias by the previous management is rubbish.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 28 Feb 2016, 11:22 am

englandglory4ever wrote:Eddie, Not sure what you see in Robshaw now. He looks slow and doesn't seem to have an aggressive bone in his body. He just goes through the motions, slowly. (I suppose we all do first thing in the morning).

There are those who are blind and those that will not see

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 28 Feb 2016, 4:14 pm

lostinwales wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:Eddie, Not sure what you see in Robshaw now. He looks slow and doesn't seem to have an aggressive bone in his body. He just goes through the motions, slowly. (I suppose we all do first thing in the morning).

You mean like Dirty Mike Brown?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 28 Feb 2016, 4:51 pm

Gwlad wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

You mean like Dirty Mike Brown?

Gwalad.

Mike Brown is not a dirty player.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 28 Feb 2016, 5:31 pm

Take no notice of the guy. He just trawls English threads looking for bites.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 28 Feb 2016, 5:41 pm

Majestic - Brown is a dirty player - no doubt at all. I didn't see this incident but he has a well deserved reputation for overly aggressive play and foul play. I don't think its deliberate usually - but he loses his temper and gets involved when he shouldn't and also makes cheap shots

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 28 Feb 2016, 5:42 pm

Can anyone tell me when in the game this happened tho so I can see it?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 28 Feb 2016, 5:44 pm

TJ wrote:Can anyone tell me when in the game this happened tho so I can see it?
70:15 on the game clock is when the sequence starts, mate.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 28 Feb 2016, 5:49 pm

Thanks

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 28 Feb 2016, 8:00 pm

Well I like Mike Brown and am very happy having him at FB .

I'm loving all the Celts getting hot and flustered because England have won a couple of games.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 28 Feb 2016, 8:05 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Well I like Mike Brown and am very happy having him at FB .

I'm loving all the Celts getting hot and flustered because England have won a couple of games.....

It's an amazing path of glory England have taken, i mean beating Italy AND Scotland, before really taking it to Irish using all 'means' necessary.

Stunning turnaround from being homespun favorites at the Tournament that, ahem, dare not speak its name.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 28 Feb 2016, 8:08 pm

Gwlad wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Well I like Mike Brown and am very happy having him at FB .

It's an amazing path of glory England have taken, i mean beating Italy AND Scotland, before really taking it to Irish using all 'means' necessary.

Stunning turnaround from being homespun favorites at the Tournament that, ahem, dare not speak its name.

Gwald

you are just sore because England beat Ireland and Wales could only manage a draw.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 28 Feb 2016, 8:10 pm

On the contrary...all ive seen from England fans is that we have a lot of work to do. Lots of errors.

All we've heard from the Celts...sorry the Welsh is that Scotland and Italy are poor, Ireland will be a proper test. Well regardless of performance etc we won...and lo behold....the Welsh are slamming it.

What a roar!

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 28 Feb 2016, 8:29 pm

And we were never ever favorites for the RWC. We were favorites to get out of the group but obviously that didn't work out.

Still, mostly the same players that beat Wales in the last 2 6N but now with more canny coaching. We could well lose to Wales in 2 weeks time, because Wales are probably the best equipped of the other 6N teams to deal with the physical side of England's game and because they have a decent kicker to take advantage of all those stupid penalties. But for all the muscle and well organised defense they are still toothless in attack, and they are still playing rookie props against an increasingly dangerous English scrum

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Sun 28 Feb 2016, 8:47 pm

GLad is properly hacked off. He soooo wanted Ireland to beat England. He even put his score predictions up saying England 3 v 29 Ireland. Ha, ha, ha. How wrong was he. His all consuming hatred is not doing him any good whatsoever.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 28 Feb 2016, 9:09 pm

Sooo.... Manu will link up with England tomorrow before returning to play for the Tigers next weekend

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 28 Feb 2016, 9:39 pm

nathan wrote:Sooo.... Manu will link up with England tomorrow before returning to play for the Tigers next weekend

Yup. Manu spending two days with England squad.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 28 Feb 2016, 9:41 pm

He's blatently going with Tuilagi at 12 isn't he?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 28 Feb 2016, 9:42 pm

Probably only on bench.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Sun 28 Feb 2016, 9:47 pm

Ireland got the ball wide on a few occasions. It was a fairly successful tactic. England need to tighten up as it won't go un noticed by Wales. Its gonna be epic.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 28 Feb 2016, 9:48 pm

Eddie has a plan, even if its a samoan shaped smoke screen. He's got things right so far so we just have to trust him I guess

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 28 Feb 2016, 9:52 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:Ireland got the ball wide on a few occasions.  It was a fairly successful tactic. England need to tighten up as it won't go un noticed by Wales.  Its gonna be epic.
But Wales never get the ball wide. Roberts can pass I know but seems under orders never to do so.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 28 Feb 2016, 11:33 pm

Manu still looks off the pace at current. His trademark power and physicality are still clearly undiminished thankfully, check out the hit on Cowan today for proof! He still needs to keep edging up his match fitness to do it consistently over the course of a game though.

It would be foolish to throw him onto the bench when he isn't ready for more than 20 minutes at most. Regaining full match fitness should be done gradually in club rugby not from the bench in a crunch 6 Nations game. Especially against a side as physical as Wales. So many guys now return to international rugby following a modicum of club game time after from injury and surprisingly enough they all tend to be injured again soon after.

That said I was thinking today, prior to Jones stating Manu may return to the squad, that I'd much prefer a 12 on the bench alongside Daly than a spare FB. If we have 21.Care 22.Daly 23.Goode then an injury to Farrell early means playing most the game with an inside centre who has practically never played there. I'd much rather Sam Hill on the bench rather than Goode, if Brown were injured then Watson could shift to FB with Joseph on the wing and Daly coming on at 13. That reshuffle is much preferable to a makeshift 12 I think.

I can't see it happening but I'd feel much safer about possible injuries with that bench.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 28 Feb 2016, 11:35 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:Ireland got the ball wide on a few occasions.  It was a fairly successful tactic. England need to tighten up as it won't go un noticed by Wales.  Its gonna be epic.
But Wales never get the ball wide. Roberts can pass I know but seems under orders never to do so.

True, we never do, except for when we ship it to Lloyd Williams via 5 passes through the hands and chip inside for davies to dab down under the posts

No, we Never get it wide. thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:05 am

TJ wrote:[Mike Brown] has a well deserved reputation for overly aggressive play and foul play...
This is something I've started to see a lot over the last year or so. I disagree, but I'm more interested in how on earth this idea has taken root.

What exactly did Mike Brown do before this weekend's incident to make people claim it sums him up as a player? He hasn't been red carded in a Test, and I'm not particularly aware of him drawing yellow cards. By contrast, I can remember specific times when Haskell, Care, Hartley and Farrell have all been carded, even before Saturday's sin bins.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 29 Feb 2016, 4:13 am

I'd say Eddie is creaking under press pressure, pretty sure that the RFU will shortly be having a word in his shell like, this use of the word 'mate' after every sentence just isn't cricket mate.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 29 Feb 2016, 8:01 am

That the best you can do? Pathetic.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 29 Feb 2016, 8:32 am

Don't worry. He will recycle the "chariot" jokes that were so prescient for him this time last year.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 29 Feb 2016, 8:50 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:He's blatantly going with Tuilagi at 12 isn't he?
Then who would be slotting in at 10?  

Farrell has been generally fine at 12, but is clearly out of position.  
Ford has been mediocre at 10 in the three 6 Nations matches so far, just like at Bath, so consistent performance for club and country.  

At this moment in time, I am not convinced we have the 10 spot locked-down for the future and wonder about our depth.

Last edited by doctor_grey on Mon 29 Feb 2016, 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 29 Feb 2016, 8:51 am

Rugby Fan wrote:
TJ wrote:[Mike Brown] has a well deserved reputation for overly aggressive play and foul play...
This is something I've started to see a lot over the last year or so. I disagree, but I'm more interested in how on earth this idea has taken root.

What exactly did Mike Brown do before this weekend's incident to make people claim it sums him up as a player? He hasn't been red carded in a Test, and I'm not particularly aware of him drawing yellow cards. By contrast, I can remember specific times when Haskell, Care, Hartley and Farrell have all been carded, even before Saturday's sin bins.

Plenty of incidents of him losing his temper and being petulant - running 50 m to push someone, scrapping for the ball after its out of play and numerous bits of foul play. His temper is obvious. Its all out there if you want to see it. Even the telegraph calls him " mr Angry"

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 29 Feb 2016, 8:55 am

TJ wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:

Plenty of incidents of him losing his temper and being petulant - running 50 m to push someone, scrapping for the ball after its out of play and numerous bits of foul play.  His temper is obvious.  Its all out there if you want to see it.  Even the telegraph calls him " mr Angry"
I don't recall any specific incidents, but I think we can all agree to politely refer to Brown as an 'edgy' player.  He does seem to get over-excited (again polite).  No doubts.  I remember a match between Saints and Quins a few years ago where Saints players came off cursing Brown and his "'niggly off the ball bull(merde)".

On the other hand, and perhaps, because of it, he is fearless under high kicks.  That is a huge benefit to Harlequins and England.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 29 Feb 2016, 8:58 am

Oh dear. Mr Angry is the worst thing they can throw at him. These so called rugby supporters are really fragile and infantile these days. We all have to be Mr Nicey. I love Brown for his competitive attitude. He makes me smile.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:00 am

Numerous bits of foul play?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:02 am

doctor_grey wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:He's blatantly going with Tuilagi at 12 isn't he?
Then who would be slotting in at 10?  

Farrell has been generally fine at 12, but is clearly out of position.  
Ford has been mediocre at 10 in the three 6 Nations matches so far, just like at Bath, so consistent performance for club and country.  

At this moment in time, I am not convinced we have the 10 spot locked-down for the future and wonder about our depth.

Jones made it pretty clear he sees Ford as a developing player and one who he is going to invest the long term in. Farrell has continued to give away too many penalties tryingemulate Wilkinsons reputation for big tackles. Hes had a fair few yellows for a 10/12 over his england career and frankly has been lucky not to cop a ban at aome point. As its one area that England have struggled in over the games so far Id see him as highly unlikley to displace Ford, especially as his goal kicking hasnt been at its best.
If they do go with Tuillagi at 12, which Im not sure they will straight away (hes more liekly to get a bench spot to begin with), then I suspect he would also want someone witha bit more guile and who doesnt stand as deep as Farrell to give Tuillagi more opportunities to hit the line at pace.
Personally Im not a fan of Tuillagi at 12, although theres has been a lot of talk about him having improved his balkl handling skills hes never been best used as a battering ram and will never be a real footballer. His strength has always been combing powr and speed and attacking the oustide shoulder of the 13. Maybe hes lost a touch of his youthfull pace, and England have plenty of good attacking players available for 13 so the problematic 12 position is a way to shoehorn him into the team. Its fair to say that Jones does seem to remember him as the player who took apart the All Blacks a few years ago (at 13) and does seem to be itching to give get him back in the mix despite having guys like Devoto and Daly available in the centers.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:11 am

doctor_grey wrote:
TJ wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:

Plenty of incidents of him losing his temper and being petulant - running 50 m to push someone, scrapping for the ball after its out of play and numerous bits of foul play.  His temper is obvious.  Its all out there if you want to see it.  Even the telegraph calls him " mr Angry"
I don't recall any specific incidents, but I think we can all agree to politely refer to Brown as an 'edgy' player.  He does seem to get over-excited (again polite).  No doubts.  I remember a match between Saints and Quins a few years ago where Saints players came off cursing Brown and his "'niggly off the ball bull(merde)".  

On the other hand, and perhaps, because of it, he is fearless under high kicks.  That is a huge benefit to Harlequins and England.

Its a fair comment on his agressiveness, hes had a reputation since well before he played for England and there was at leats two incidents of handbags with him in the game at the weekend.
Its unfair to call him a dirty player though, and many sides actively encourage one or more players to "get in the face" of the opposition and rile them. The difference with Brown is that this does just seem to be his personality, and something he cant control. What you dont see from him though is actually throwing punches or taking genuinely cheap shots or committing many acts of blantant foul play. Just getting in silly arguments and maybe a bit of pushing and encouraging people to punch him.
I cant think of a lot of acts of serious foul play , cards or bans that hes had that would justify saying he has a repatation for foul play. The only thing I remember him getting in serious trouble for was kissing girls 8 years ago.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:36 am

Its just Celtic noise. The volume always increases when England win a game.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:52 am

Discipline is an issue which hasn't gone away.

Whatever you think of Brown, he's part of a group of players who need to sort out their discipline or risk being dropped.

I thought Brown was a fool but I thought the likes of Farrell and Haskell were stupid too.

Need to cut out the needless penalties. I can understand a penalty more if someone is going for the turnover but the likes of high tackles,trips, neck rolls, pushes are just silly.

I think the reason why we see these penalties time and again because they just aren't very intelligent.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:37 pm

What discipline problems has Brown had?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:43 pm

Well there was this incident where Brown started kicking one of the opposition in the face....

He's known as Mr Angry for a reason.

Just needs to settle down a bit.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 29 Feb 2016, 12:48 pm

OK, so no real examples of it being a persistent problem.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next