The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Wales - let it all out thread

+58
eirebilly
rainbow-warrior
DirtyRucker7
sad_gimp
carpet baboon
SimonofSurrey
exile jack
Cyril
LordDowlais
Heaf
stub
gregortree
Luckless Pedestrian
nlpnlp
nobbled
munkian
Jimpy
Sgt_Pooly
robbo277
Gwlad
quinsforever
DaveM
JDizzle
thomh
Geordie
Hoonercat
Scottrf
Poorfour
funnyExiledScot
lostinwales
Sidestep
aucklandlaurie
hugehandoff
wrfc1980
No9
R!skysports
Recwatcher16
BamBam
Tattie Scones RRN
HammerofThunor
RubyGuby
TightHEAD
englandglory4ever
beshocked
mikey_dragon
GavCanDance
doctor_grey
kingjohn7
Breadvan
No 7&1/2
LondonTiger
Rugby Fan
RiscaGame
RuggerRadge2611
offload
majesticimperialman
bedfordwelsh
yappysnap
62 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

England v Wales - let it all out thread - Page 9 Empty England v Wales - let it all out thread

Post by yappysnap Sun 28 Feb 2016, 11:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

To hopefully stop the usual suspects from ruining more threads, could both nations wums just throw all of their toys out of the pram on this one?

Two weeks until the game and already it's like a full moon at the crazy house.

Thanks in advance

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

England v Wales - let it all out thread - Page 9 Empty Re: England v Wales - let it all out thread

Post by LondonTiger Fri 04 Mar 2016, 2:30 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:I often think one of the reasons for clashes between England and Welsh fans is over how we see the Six Nations.

Actually, we both see it is the same way: it's a title we both value and both dearly want. However, England supporters don't always sound like they do value it, which understandably winds up Welsh supporters no end.

A lot of this is down to our experiences at the World Cup, and not simply in a "we've got one, you haven't" fashion. Woodward's England did finally win the Cup but we had a lot of painful years blowing Grand Slams and Six Nations titles on the way. I know there's a lot of talk about how those failures helped build the team's bloody-mindedness but I don't really buy it. Quite simply, we kept letting our NH rivals get to us.

As an England fan, this was excruciating but the pain was relieved because the team went on a tear against the SH sides at the same time. The heartbreak of losing in the Six Nations was offset by a winning streak we could only have dreamed of in the past...and today.

To win a World Cup, a NH team will likely have to beat at least two out of South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. Consequently, England supporters tend to look at how we are doing against them to assess whether we've got a sniff.

That may well come across to rival six nations fans as if England supporters take wins in the North for granted. For me, at least, that's certainly not the case. I'm almost resigned to some teams in the 6N giving us a wedgie every year.

The thing is, though, over a four year World Cup cycle, we also usually end up beating the 6N teams who beat us, so it's hard for me to feel like we should ever go into a tournament feeling we are outclassed against them.

A major exception to that statement is the pile of victories Ireland ran up over England from early 2004 to 2011. It's an appalling thing to say, but I was so obsessed with my own team's problems, that I didn't really notice Ireland were taking us to the cleaners on such a regular basis. Call it arrogance if you will, but I think I was more guilty of ignorance.

I'm ashamed to admit than it took me until the 2009 Lions tour to realize how superior a lot of the Irish and Welsh players were by comparison with the English.

In my defence, England had made it to a World Cup final in 2007 when both those sides didn't get out of the pools. It's harder to notice a team has your number when you are seemingly outperforming them in other areas.

Since Ireland stopped beating us so regularly, no Six Nations team has consistently had the upper hand over us, so it's not really surprising that England supporters don't have an inferiority complex with any opponent in that tournament.

Nor do we have a superiority complex. Another aspect of my ignorance was to hang on to the belief that a Grand Slam is a rare achievement in rugby. A cursory look at the record shows Grand Slams to be increasingly common but just not for England. We have a great recent win record in the competition and a horrible one when it comes to the damn title, let alone a sweep.

I want a Grand Slam but I want a World Cup more. For too long, I've probably accepted six nations failures as part of some larger plan to win another Cup. After all, it happened to Clive's team. I think what I missed along the way is that winning even a title, and certainly a Grand Slam, demands that you can hold your nerve at key moments.

Realistically, the last time England held their nerve was in back-to-back wins against Australia and France in the 2007 tournament. Even our 2011 6N title win ended sourly with a comprehensive loss to Ireland. Has there ever been a more doleful title winner?

If I was a Welsh fan, I wouldn't ask why English fans think they can beat Wales, because the answer is simple: we've done it in recent memory, home and away. The question I'd put instead is: Why do you think you can beat Wales when it counts? "When it counts" is a bit contingent, to say the least, but Lancaster lost three times to Wales. On two occasions, it cost him a Grand Slam, on the other, it sent us out of the World Cup. Ergo, we haven't recently won against Wales when it counts.

The match this weekend counts, because if England lose, Wales will likely take the title. England could win and still go on to  lose the title to France but we probably get nothing with a loss, and could risk falling to two 6N losses for the first time since 2010.

If all this sounds like England are sorry sacks by comparison with Wales, then it's not all one way traffic. England supporters have a valid point when we bring up the lack of success Wales has experienced against New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa.

I'm proud of rugby in the North. It frustrates me that England have failed to win more titles but I'm not ashamed, because I think we've lost to better teams. What infuriates me, is when these same teams can't transfer their winning mentality to beating teams in the south. If no-one in the North was beating them, then fair enough, but England have a good record against Australia. Not just the occasional surprise win, but a regular habit of beating them as much as they beat us.

To me, that means Australia, at least, have been there to be beaten by teams who have regularly humbled England. It's a sore on the backside of rugby in the north that Wales have not managed to do so. When the leading teams in the north can't dispatch southern competition on a better-than-average basis, then we all look bad.

The good thing is, Welsh supporters know this. There's a tangible impatience now about the Welsh game plan. It may yet be enough to claim another 6N title but it looks well short of beating even one southern hemisphere team in a World Cup, let alone two. If Welsh supporters start to feel 6N titles no longer feed the beast, then maybe we'll all start to be on the same page. Why not demand a side which can beat the best?

Wales has had fantastic players over the years, players who really make you feel excited about the game. We wonder about which England players might qualify as world class but names like Halfpenny, Roberts, Warburton, Faletau and North come instantly to mind when you think of Wales and we could easily add some other names too. There must be a strategy which can put these guys to work for more wins against the south than they've managed so far.

The Six Nations shouldn't be a second division. When Woodward beat the SH but couldn't win a 6N title, it started to make the south look like the second tier. Let's not kid ourselves, we never got to that point but the south didn't feel on top, and I'd happily settle for that now.

New page.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England v Wales - let it all out thread - Page 9 Empty Re: England v Wales - let it all out thread

Post by RubyGuby Fri 04 Mar 2016, 3:00 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
DirtyRucker7 wrote:We have a Billy Vinapola, the lad has a habit of beating the Welsh he loves tearing them up

Yes like last September he really teared us one before he went off with a limp. thumbsup

*tore*

No, Blly teared us a new one picard

It might also help if the fella spells his name right  before commenting on the grammatical slurs - It's Vunipola by the way. thumbsup

It might help if you actualy read the name of the person correcting the grammatical error before accusing them of being the op.  thumbsdown

It might help if you STFU Tigger thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 04 Mar 2016, 3:05 pm

Nice......

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 04 Mar 2016, 3:07 pm

These threads really do give me a good laugh at times, keep it up lads thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 04 Mar 2016, 3:08 pm

eirebilly wrote:These threads really do give me a good laugh at times, keep it up lads thumbsup

My pleasure Billy thumbsup I do miss the real rugby discussions though with Gibson et al.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 04 Mar 2016, 3:10 pm

Yeah, gibbo is a huge miss to this site Guru. Wish he would come back as geen sport voor watjes Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 04 Mar 2016, 3:12 pm

He's too clever for this site now Billy, he'd be disappointed and probably has bigger fish to fry, rollies to smoke and whisky to drink. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 04 Mar 2016, 3:13 pm

Yes, rollies... Whistle

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 04 Mar 2016, 3:16 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Yes, rollies... Whistle

What ever could you be implying here Lucky Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 04 Mar 2016, 3:17 pm

And lets not forget about the mayonnaise he's shoving on his chips out there thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 05 Mar 2016, 12:21 am

Going to be really interesting to see if the Burgess Factor is going to strike again…will Eddie go against everything he has built so far and do a Lancaster, he'll have to drop Farrell and start Manu to do a number on Roberts.

I bet he wants to.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Sat 05 Mar 2016, 1:13 am

I want to too. Love Manu. Looking forward to seeing Hughes too.

As an aside. That Marcus Watson is well rapid. Is he EQ?

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 05 Mar 2016, 1:49 am

englandglory4ever wrote:I want to too. Love Manu. Looking forward to seeing Hughes too.

Dunno about him but I hear his little brother might be

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 05 Mar 2016, 7:59 am

lostinwales wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:I want to too. Love Manu. Looking forward to seeing Hughes too.

Isn't Marcus Watson Antony Watson younger brother?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 05 Mar 2016, 8:53 am

I've always felt, and I don't wish to be over-general about this, that all Welsh people smell of light salad dressing.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 05 Mar 2016, 9:16 am

George Carlin wrote:I've always felt, and I don't wish to be over-general about this, that all Welsh people smell of light salad dressing.

Are you talking the Paul Newman salad dressing?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 05 Mar 2016, 9:17 am

carpet baboon wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I've always felt, and I don't wish to be over-general about this, that all Welsh people smell of light salad dressing.

Yes. But the nice one with honey and lemon in it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 05 Mar 2016, 9:24 am

George Carlin wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

Yes. But the nice one with honey and lemon in it.

I concur. Harrumph

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 05 Mar 2016, 10:43 am

And the English smell of arrogance and prawn mayo GC

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 05 Mar 2016, 11:01 am

yappysnap wrote:And the English smell of arrogance and prawn mayo GC

No more hinez BBQ beans

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 05 Mar 2016, 11:20 am

I am a Glasgow fan, so if you're wondering where the smell of Buckfast, heroin, despair and fried chocolate comes from... Whistle
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 05 Mar 2016, 11:28 am

George Carlin wrote:
I am a Glasgow fan, so if you're wondering where the smell of Buckfast, heroin, despair and fried chocolate comes from... Whistle

Best post ever

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 05 Mar 2016, 1:23 pm

I think England smell like Napalm in the morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx5N-4JvVyk

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 05 Mar 2016, 1:25 pm

This thread has taken an unusual turn!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 05 Mar 2016, 4:36 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

Isn't Marcus Watson Antony Watson younger brother?

Marcus Watson is the older brother and has played a lot (for England) on the 7's circuit

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 05 Mar 2016, 4:40 pm

Looks like lawes could be out, so who's the next lock to be included?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 05 Mar 2016, 4:48 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I think England smell like Napalm in the morning.

I think they smell like Nappies in the morning.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 05 Mar 2016, 5:50 pm

Gwlad wrote:

Tell them to change yours more often?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 05 Mar 2016, 5:55 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 05 Mar 2016, 6:05 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

I'd prefer it if your wife did it, I'm sure she's an expert. Very Happy

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 05 Mar 2016, 6:40 pm

Doc's gay Gwlad, still want it changing.

Sorry Doc, I couldn't resist.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 05 Mar 2016, 9:00 pm

George Carlin wrote:

God, I love the Bucky and deep fried goodies mind.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 05 Mar 2016, 9:58 pm

Smells like......Victory.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 05 Mar 2016, 10:00 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

God, I love the Bucky and deep fried goodies mind.

Tried a deep fried mars bar once - it was unexpectedly fishy Crying or Very sad

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 06 Mar 2016, 12:45 pm

Gwlad wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Nah shes had enough of dealing with small children

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 06 Mar 2016, 3:04 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Im sure she's had plenty of practice, but you really shouldn't put yourself down.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 06 Mar 2016, 3:09 pm

Gwlad wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Im sure she's had plenty of practice, but you really shouldn't put yourself down.

Putting myself down? We have two great children but that level of childcare is happily long past. Try harder Mr. Smelly

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 06 Mar 2016, 3:22 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Putting myself down? We have two great children but that level of childcare is happily long past. Try harder Mr. Smelly

Oops, do you need a change, I think I can smell your BS from here! As i said, sure she gets plenty of practice still. thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 06 Mar 2016, 5:24 pm

I suppose it's what the thread is for but this is very poor.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 06 Mar 2016, 5:34 pm

stub wrote:I suppose it's what the thread is for but this is very poor.

I guess this thread is what you could call a ( DUMP ) thread Whistle

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 06 Mar 2016, 6:20 pm

I guess this thread is  what you could call a ( DUMP ) thread Whistle

It had its moments but now its just a bit sad. The latest comments from our friend in Vancouver reminds me of what Denis Healey said about Geoffry Howe

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 06 Mar 2016, 6:24 pm

lostinwales wrote:

It had its moments but now its just a bit sad. The latest comments from our friend in Vancouver reminds me of what Denis Healey said about Geoffry Howe

Ah now i see why you left Wales, got a bit over enthusiastic with the wildlife did you Laugh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 06 Mar 2016, 6:56 pm

lostinwales wrote:

Yes, definitely tailing off in terms of anything of worth Imo. I think it's just about getting in the last word.

Enjoyed the Apocalyspe Now interlude though!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtyRucker7 Sun 06 Mar 2016, 7:23 pm

Biggar will kick it away a lot! to the most dangerous back line in world rugby.Advantage England.

Farrell will control the field position from 12 and Joseph will tear the Welsh a new one. Advantage England.

Care and Ford will play with such pace and tempo the Aussies will be having sleepless nights already thinking about the summer tour. Advantage England.

Billy oh Billy is quite frankly the IRB player of the year. Advantage England.

Robshaw and Haskell ripping up trees showing pocock how it is done. Advantage England.

Itoje and Kruis these boys give the Boks nightmares,they will absolutely beast the over rated Alun and Beanpole Luke.Advantage England

Cole, Marler going to be having toast for dinner on Saturday because thats what they will be cooking from the Welsh scrum Boom. Advantage England.

Hartely the rock our national treasure just like Martin Johnson he will be the next Lions captain. Advantage England.

Infact the more i analysis this the bigger the score i see us putting on the welsh.

Just like Sir Clive said to me yesterday "it is just wales, beating them is our bread and butter"

DirtyRucker7

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 06 Mar 2016, 8:41 pm

DirtyRucker7 wrote:Biggar will kick it away a lot! to the most dangerous back line in world rugby.Advantage England.

Farrell will control the field position from 12 and Joseph will tear the Welsh a new one. Advantage England.

Care and Ford will play with such pace and tempo the Aussies will be having sleepless nights already thinking about the summer tour. Advantage England.

Billy oh Billy is quite frankly the IRB player of the year. Advantage England.

Robshaw and Haskell ripping up trees showing pocock how it is done. Advantage England.

Itoje and Kruis these boys give the Boks nightmares,they will absolutely beast the over rated Alun and Beanpole Luke.Advantage England

Cole, Marler going to be having toast for dinner on Saturday because thats what they will be cooking from the Welsh scrum Boom. Advantage England.

Hartely the rock our national treasure just like Martin Johnson he will be the next Lions captain. Advantage England.

Infact the more i analysis this the bigger the score i see us putting on the welsh.

Just like Sir Clive said to me yesterday "it is just wales, beating them is our bread and butter"

I'd stop doing 'analysis' and start getting some done of yourself. thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 06 Mar 2016, 11:01 pm

Gwlad wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

Ah now i see why you left Wales, got a bit over enthusiastic with the wildlife did you Laugh

I left Wales because I hated my job there and the politics around it, and hated living there. Why did you leave?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 07 Mar 2016, 12:06 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Doc's gay Gwlad, still want it changing.

Sorry Doc, I couldn't resist.
That was funny - I was laughing...........until I realised it was about me. thumbsup

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 07 Mar 2016, 12:41 am

lostinwales wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

I left Wales because I hated my job there and the politics around it, and hated living there. Why did you leave?

Because of you. Laugh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 07 Mar 2016, 10:30 am

My nine-year-old niece comes up with better stuff than that, Gwlad.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 07 Mar 2016, 2:02 pm

nathan wrote:Looks like lawes could be out, so who's the next lock to be included?

Slater.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next