The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crystal Ball Gazing. IRB Player of the year

+21
welshy824
nganboy
wrfc1980
majesticimperialman
Mehrts is god
ruggerbyplayer
brennomac
Killer_B_6
MR. scotland27
wales606
Notch
Glas a du
CJB
bathmad
red_stag
GunsGerms
thebandwagonsociety
funnyExiledScot
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Goosestepper
Gunner
25 posters

Go down

Crystal Ball Gazing. IRB Player of the year Empty Crystal Ball Gazing. IRB Player of the year

Post by Gunner Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:41 am

With the RWC only 99 days from starting that means we are only 140 odd days away from the final international of the year.
Who do you think will come away with the IRBs top individual honour?

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Crystal Ball Gazing. IRB Player of the year Empty Re: Crystal Ball Gazing. IRB Player of the year

Post by Goosestepper Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:27 am

couldn't say before the tri nations and end of the S15 - McCaw and Carter as usual will be candidates new names could be SBW or Quade Cooper depending on how they go in both competitions. Can't see a NH player getting it - maybe SOB and Ashton (yawn) will get on the short list

Goosestepper

Back to top Go down

Crystal Ball Gazing. IRB Player of the year Empty Re: Crystal Ball Gazing. IRB Player of the year

Post by Gunner Fri 03 Jun 2011, 7:30 am

Probably what i probably mean Goosesteeper is that the RWC player of the tournie will most likey be IRB player of the year. Hence the crystal ball! Field is open.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:18 am

Gunner wrote:Probably what i probably mean Goosesteeper is that the RWC player of the tournie will most likey be IRB player of the year. Hence the crystal ball! Field is open.

Henson then.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:25 am

Carter. He'll be the player of the tournament and the tournament top scorer. I also think the All Blacks will take the Tri-Nations. Bumper year ahead for them I reckon.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:16 am

If NZ win the rwc then I reckon McCaw takes the honour. Though the award has gone to some surprised winners in the past so, just to put it out there.... Dusatoir... after Frances exploits in the RWC.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:41 am

Pocock maybe? An Aussie player has never won the award. A good WC and they may win one. Quade Cooper probably not though, an OH should be able to tackle and kick goals to be considered.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:54 am

I'm gonna back McCaw to take his 4th award. Pocock might be another one depending on how Australia do.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Goosestepper Fri 03 Jun 2011, 11:30 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Gunner wrote:Probably what i probably mean Goosesteeper is that the RWC player of the tournie will most likey be IRB player of the year. Hence the crystal ball! Field is open.

Henson then.

Egbertus O'Callaghan (Namiba, Hooker. honest to god) Never seen him play but with a name like that............!

Goosestepper

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:28 pm

SBW. Suspect he'll be the star in NZ walking away with the WC.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 03 Jun 2011, 3:59 pm

bathmad wrote:SBW. Suspect he'll be the star in NZ walking away with the WC.

Thats a good call actually. He's a media darling too.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:04 pm

JOC

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:13 pm

Giteau.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:19 pm

Glas a du wrote:Giteau.

Really? I don't see it.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:36 pm

In 2007, Contepomi and Hernandez were both nominated and Habana won- it's going to be heavily dependent on which teams do well in the RWC and the award will go to the best player of the winning team unless there is an absolutely outstanding candidate from elsewhere.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:38 pm

Agreed - not Giteau. He's not even guaranteed to start when Cooper and Barnes are fit.

From Australia the most likely candidates for me are Pocock, Cooper and Beale.

I still can't see past it being an All Black this year, especially with Lievremont and P Villy taking two competitors out of the equation.

I'm going with Carter, but can easily see it being McCaw.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:42 pm

Dan Carter

Cant see McCaw being given ANOTHER!

If the ABs win the WC (which they probably will) then they with no doubt have player of the year.

Carter is most likely, although SBW and Smith are also possibles.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Sat 04 Jun 2011, 10:47 am

If NZ win it will be McCaw or Carter, and even if they don't then those two will still be on the list.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer_B_6 Sat 04 Jun 2011, 2:30 pm

I would hazard that the shortlist would come from the below:

From Aus - Cooper, Pocock, O'Conner or Beale

From NZ - McCaw, Carter, SBW or Read

From SA - B Du Plessis, Alberts or Fourie

From England - Ashton, Palmer, Lawes or Youngs

From France - Harinordiquy, Dusatoir or Medard

From Ireland - SOB, BOD or Heaslip

Outsiders from smaller nations - A Tuilagi, Tong'uhia, Parisse, Fernandez Lobbe, Gray, Hook or Warburton

From that list these are the most likely winners:

SBW
Read
Carter
A Tuilagi
Pocock
Beale
Ashton

It all depends upon the RWC.

Killer_B_6

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Sat 04 Jun 2011, 4:21 pm

Jeez, Killer B, Scots and Welsh will love being referred to us as "smaller nations" - expect a flurry of protest from north of the Tweed and west of the Severn

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer_B_6 Sat 04 Jun 2011, 4:26 pm

http://www.irb.com/rankings/full.html

Killer_B_6

Back to top Go down

Post by ruggerbyplayer Sat 04 Jun 2011, 7:19 pm

Carter no doubt.

ruggerbyplayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehrts is god Mon 06 Jun 2011, 2:56 am

Most deffo a Cantabrian NZer,but I'm picking Kieran Read in a tight finish from SBW,Dan Carter and Richie McCaw.

Mehrts is god

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 06 Jun 2011, 5:39 am

Alot of posters on here saying McCaw will take the player of the year.

Hmmmmmmm Maybe, but seeing that McCaw is injured at the moment there is no garuntee that he will Finish playing in the rugby world cup. So i would not be too eager to place him in the race for the title.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Mon 06 Jun 2011, 5:42 am

what about ben Foden?

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Mon 06 Jun 2011, 5:58 am

Ma'a Nonu.
After 4 months of rugby he starting to find some match fitness.
By September he will be peaking Very Happy

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 07 Jun 2011, 7:35 am

Sam Whitelock
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ruggerbyplayer Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:45 pm

Gunner

And yet he's just been released by the Hurricanes. Can't understand it myself.

ruggerbyplayer

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 5:13 pm

just putting it out there for the welsh players, shane (i can wish)
but i seriously think if the back row have a good WC for wales they may have a slim shout at being on the shortlist

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Wed 08 Jun 2011, 5:58 pm

The nominees were selected by the IRB Awards independent panel of judges, chaired by Rugby World Cup winning captain John Eales, following a year-long review of all Test matches and thorough consultation and deliberation.
Just a by the way on how the PotY is chosen.

From the IRB website on last year's selection:

"The panel comprises some of the biggest names in the Game with Will Greenwood, Gavin Hastings, Raphaël Ibanez, Francois Pienaar, Agustín Pichot, Scott Quinnell, Tana Umaga, Paul Wallace and Eales winning over 500 caps and boasting four Rugby World Cup winners medals between them.

"The panel watch every major international match throughout the year, providing comprehensive analysis on individual players and casting their vote based on performance and number of appearances," said Eales."

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 08 Jun 2011, 7:17 pm

O'Connor for me so far. Has a touch of Gold for someone so young.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 08 Jun 2011, 7:37 pm

Does it include the World Cup games? It includes the AI from last year so I doubt it.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mgall52 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:04 pm

As it's based on test rugby can't see it being a NH player so most likely a kiwi or wallaby depending on outcome of RWC. Don't see why all senior games club and international are not taken into account though.

Mgall52

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:09 pm

For a bolter from NZ Zac Guilford. Deceptively fast, intuitive and an eye for gaps, exposing space and taking opportunities.

The perfect player for the minor pool games and could go so well there might be too good to be ignored.

Has mostly been on winning sides throughout his career to date and the type to make a difference in the big tight matches.

But if it doesnt include WC matches then not likely, but who's counting.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:14 pm

Taylorman wrote:But if it doesnt include WC matches then not likely, but who's counting.

The judges I'm guessing

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:53 am

ruggerbyplayer wrote:Gunner

And yet he's just been released by the Hurricanes. Can't understand it myself.

Doesnt seem to fit into new coaches plan.
Hammet (new coach) seems to want to get rid of some of the older players and start afresh.
Ma'a would be a great signing for any team. You'd get a lot of rugby out of him.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 9:56 am

for people who are suggesting ashton, what has he done apart from score a few tries against italy at twickers????

i am sorry not really that much to talk about.

to be honest i think it will be a SH lock out, and atm i can only see the likes of warbs, o'brien, sexton or gray possibly making it

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down