The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Rugby wants Marler explanation

+43
majesticimperialman
wolfball
gregortree
damage_13
No9
cakeordeath
whocares
Knowsit17
Poorfour
trebellbobaggins
Hoonercat
The Great Aukster
Luckless Pedestrian
lostinwales
aucklandlaurie
wrfc1980
Knackeredknees
HammerofThunor
Notch
Presuming Ed
ScarletSpiderman
doctor_grey
RuggerRadge2611
Cyril
TrailApe
TightHEAD
funnyExiledScot
RiscaGame
bumble
GunsGerms
exile jack
Jimpy
Barney McGrew did it
Geordie
sad_gimp
beshocked
yappysnap
RDW
No 7&1/2
Allty
Rugby Fan
BigTrevsbigmac
rainbow-warrior
47 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

World Rugby wants Marler explanation - Page 6 Empty World rugby wants Marler explanation

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 18 Mar 2016, 12:24 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35837685

Last edited by rainbow-warrior on Fri 18 Mar 2016, 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

World Rugby wants Marler explanation - Page 6 Empty Re: World Rugby wants Marler explanation

Post by Guest Fri 18 Mar 2016, 4:26 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
wolfball wrote:I am a free speech absolutist and in that context all speach should be protected, even insulting, racist disgusting speach. I realise that is not the law in the UK or most of Europe but it is one of the few legal things the US gets right. Having said that, the free speech should only protected in terms of the government. Ie you cannot be arrested for saying someone is 'insert racist epithet'. A private organization is a different matter and can create whatever rules regarding acceptable speech like. They can say sheep shagger is racist against certain people or really make their own very precise (or general) rules on acceptable speech. And that is what the IRB should do. I think that the term in question is racist. But that the existence of a UK law concerning that term does more harm than good. And that IRB is quite capable of drawing up a charter (as most sports do) on acceptable speech.

Thank god we don't have the same outdated laws over here as they do in the US. Why on earth would anyone want freedom of speech to be extended to incitement of hatred and racism is beyond me.

Do you really want to live in a country where organisations like the KKK or Westboro Baptist Church are allowed to spread?

Not to mention kardashiens.

Wait, you know who they are but you don't know Suarez and Evra??

Have Suarez and Evra got their own TV channel that runs about 25 hours a day as well?

Well yes, in a way they have (or had): both Man Utd and Liverpool FC have their own 24 hour TV Channels on Sky TV! Although they don't play for these teams anymore. But they did at the time.

Back to top Go down

World Rugby wants Marler explanation - Page 6 Empty Re: World Rugby wants Marler explanation

Post by lostinwales Fri 18 Mar 2016, 4:39 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Wasn't one of ten commandments relating to banning free speech? Certainly blasphemy/heresy is an nice old example of it.

I think one of the problems with blocking free speech is that it drives things underground. There it cannot be countered with logic and reason.  The true context cannot be applied and people are subverted.  If it was out in the open it would be harder to do that. Clamping down can also lead to the view a group are being suppressed and therefore must have a valid opinion (great logic there).

So I would be more for legislation being removed and private bodies acting on it. So, employers could have policies on it, sporting bodies, etc, which is unrelated to the law as Wolfball said.

I would say, just because you have free speech doesn't mean you can't get done for conspiracy to commit a crime if you planning illegal acts....right?

You also have the question of who decides what is legitimate free speech and what isn't? Its a complicated problem

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 18 Mar 2016, 4:41 pm

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 18 Mar 2016, 5:15 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Wasn't one of ten commandments relating to banning free speech? Certainly blasphemy/heresy is an nice old example of it.

I think one of the problems with blocking free speech is that it drives things underground. There it cannot be countered with logic and reason.  The true context cannot be applied and people are subverted.  If it was out in the open it would be harder to do that. Clamping down can also lead to the view a group are being suppressed and therefore must have a valid opinion (great logic there).

So I would be more for legislation being removed and private bodies acting on it. So, employers could have policies on it, sporting bodies, etc, which is unrelated to the law as Wolfball said.

I would say, just because you have free speech doesn't mean you can't get done for conspiracy to commit a crime if you planning illegal acts....right?
Not sure if it was one of the 10 commandments or one of the 15:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXeTsWGPT0w

It is not that long ago in some western countries a person could get done in for have some fun with religion like this. This little clip is a perfect example of freedom of speech.
Unfortunately, this level of reason does not apply equally in all cultures. Shows how precious and valuable our highly imperfect system actually is.......

Maybe Marler shold etch in his head 'I am a douche' and we can move on.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 18 Mar 2016, 5:19 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Maybe Marler shold etch in his head 'I am a douche' and we can move on.

His hairdo does that by itself. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 19 Mar 2016, 12:46 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Maybe Marler shold etch in his head 'I am a douche' and we can move on.

His hairdo does that by itself. Wink
There is truth. And there is truth. You speak the ultimate truth!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 19 Mar 2016, 1:00 am

Marler's haircut is pretty normal these days. Maybe that's the problem.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 19 Mar 2016, 7:26 am

I always called it a 'ping me' haircut.
First time I saw him visit Kingsholm sporting an orange mohawk, ref duly showed him a yellow card. The Kingsholm crowd showed him their characteristic sympathy as he left the field.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 19 Mar 2016, 8:41 am

I do not understand what explanation the World Rugby wants?

And can some one tell me how calling some one, who is a (BOY ) who  was born into a Gypsie Family, Gypsie boy could be seen as offensive?

I really do not know what all the fuss as been about.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 19 Mar 2016, 9:13 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Certainly, that seemed to be a bit of a problem with FIFA.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 19 Mar 2016, 10:01 am

Under normally and widely accepted definitions this was a racist comment. google for it if you don't understand. However not a very serious offense in the grand scheme of things. Its also clearly against the rules of the game. The decision to clear Marler was more than odd I thought so I am not surprised world rugby wants an explanation.

I don't think a long suspension is needed if any. Something like the equivalent of a suspended sentence would have been about right.

Letting him off sends the wrong signals IMO - but neither does he need to be hung drawn and quartered

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 19 Mar 2016, 10:13 am

TJ wrote:Letting him off sends the wrong signals IMO - but neither does he need to be hung drawn and quartered

Agree with that.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Sat 19 Mar 2016, 12:01 pm

TJ wrote:Under normally and widely accepted definitions this was a racist comment.  google for it if you don't understand.  However not a very serious offense in the grand scheme of things.  Its also clearly against the rules of the game.  The decision to clear Marler was more than odd I thought so I am not surprised world rugby wants an explanation.

I don't think a long suspension is needed if any.  Something like the equivalent of a suspended sentence would have been about right.

Letting him off sends the wrong signals IMO - but neither does he need to be hung drawn and quartered

Probably my view entirely, a sensible head would be much needed in the media, and both Wales and English camps.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 19 Mar 2016, 2:16 pm

Probably my view entirely, a sensible head would be much needed in the media, and both Wales and English camps.[/quote]

The highlighted text would appear to be something in very short supply, as being reasonable and / or sensible does not sell advertising space and the BBC seems to be staffed entirely by journos who apprenticed at The Sun
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6