The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 25 March

+23
VinceWLB
TJ
tigertattie
neilthom7
cakeordeath
Artful_Dodger
RDW
21st Century Schizoid Man
The Great Aukster
Hazel Sapling
rodders
geoff999rugby
carpet baboon
IanBru
BigGee
Notch
TheMildlyFranticLlama
funnyExiledScot
EST
marty2086
Pete330v2
jimbopip
George Carlin
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 25 March Empty Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 25 March

Post by George Carlin Sun 20 Mar 2016, 6:32 am

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 25 March Glasgo12                 Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 25 March Ulster10
Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby
Friday 25 March 2016
KO 19:35
Scotstoun Stadium

Live on BBC Alba/NI/TG4

Referee: John Lacey (IRFU, 51st competition game)
Assistant Referees: Graeme Wells, Cammy Rudkin (both SRU)
Citing Commissioner: John Montgomery (SRU)
TMO: Neil Paterson (SRU)

A. Head to Head

28 Played 28
13 Wins 14
14 Losses 13
1 Draws 1
518 Points 524

B. Form

12 February 2016
Ulster Rugby 13 - 10 Glasgow Warriors

22 May 2015
Glasgow Warriors 16 - 14 Ulster Rugby

16 May 2015
Glasgow Warriors 32 - 10 Ulster Rugby

C. Teams

Glasgow Warriors 
Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 25 March Stanle10
15. Stuart Hogg
14. Tommy Seymour
13. Mark Bennett
12. Alex Dunbar
11. Sean Lamont
10. Finn Russell
9. Henry Pyrgos

1. Gordon Reid
2. Fraser Brown
3. Sila Puafisi
4. Jonny Gray (Captain)
5. Leone Nakarawa
6. Rob Harley
7. Chris Fusaro
8. Josh Strauss

16. James Malcolm
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Tim Swinson
20. Ryan Wilson
21. Grayson Hart
22. Duncan Weir
23. Taqele Naiyaravoro

Ulster Rugby
Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 25 March Frank-10
15 S Olding
14 C Gilroy
13 L Marshall
12 S McCloskey
11 R Scholes
10 P Jackson
09 R Pienaar

01 C Black
02 R Herring (C)
03 R Lutton
04 A O'Connor
05 F van der Merwe
06 I Henderson
07 C Henry
08 N Williams

16 J Andrew
17 K McCall
18 A Warwick
19 R Diack
20 S Reidy
21 P Marshall
22 S Windsor
23 D Cave

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 8:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 25 March Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 25 March

Post by jimbopip Sun 20 Mar 2016, 5:20 pm

Love the pics, Mr C.

An absolutely must win for the Warriors. If we win then we're level with the Red Hand Gang; lose and we're eight points off the play offs.

Given that there are Irish derbies aplenty and we have three Italian matches (15 points surely?) then a win on Friday and victories over the olive skinned Armani wearers should take all the tension out of the remaining matches against Craggy Island Seconds and the Scarlet Ladies.

If we show the same spirit as we did against the Ladyboys we'll win. Braveheart

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 25 March Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 25 March

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 21 Mar 2016, 12:17 am

Think Gray can take the week off. Swinson, Naka and Peterson are good enough at lock rather than rushing him back and risking something worse. I think something like this

Hogg, Seymour, Bennett, Dunbar, Jones (Hughes if healthy), Weir (Russell if healthy), Pyrgos
Reid, Brown, Fagerson, Peterson, Naka, Harley, Favaro/Fusaro/Blake, Strauss
Malcolm, Yanny (Allan if fit), Puafisi, Swinson, Wilson, Price, Clegg, Bryce

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 21 Mar 2016, 9:23 am

The way we've been playing up to the break I think all you guys need to do is turn up and the points will look after themselves. I hope this won't be the case and Ulster can turn their form around at this crucial part of the season.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 21 Mar 2016, 10:59 am

Hopefully the break will have refreshed Ulster and guys like McCloskey and Jackson getting a full week of training will be a boost too and help bring about a good week

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 23 Mar 2016, 12:22 pm

Jonny Gray and Finn Russell cleared fit to play in this one. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 23 Mar 2016, 1:52 pm

I think we might see a number of the internationals back for this one, due to its importance - and then a phased recovery against some of the Italian teams.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 23 Mar 2016, 2:01 pm

EST wrote:I think we might see a number of the internationals back for this one, due to its importance - and then a phased recovery against some of the Italian teams.

It depends on what they are aiming for, if its to make the playoffs I think Glasgow have a good shot at it if its a home semi they may need to go all out and try and get try bonus points early and then make changes early to see out games

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 23 Mar 2016, 3:28 pm

Agreed - Glasgow should select the best XV for this one, internationals included.

Something like this:

1.Reid 2.Brown 3.Fagerson 4.J Gray 5.Nakarawa 6.Harley 7.Favaro 8.Strauss 9.Pyrgos 10.Russell 11.Hughes 12.Dunbar 13.Bennett 14.Seymour 15.Hogg

16.Jerry Y 17.Malcolm 18.Puafisi 19.Swinson 20.Wilson 21.Price 22.Weir 23.Lamont

If Big T is fit then he can replace Hughes.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed 23 Mar 2016, 3:53 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:If Big T is fit can be bothered then he can replace Hughes.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 23 Mar 2016, 4:03 pm

The possible return of Iain Henderson isn't good news. Absolute beast.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 23 Mar 2016, 4:10 pm

Hopefully we get Trimble and Payne back too, although no problems with McCloskey-Marshall starting this one. But yeah, would be nice to see those guys in the squad.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 23 Mar 2016, 7:20 pm

So Glasgow have signed a Canuck loose head till the end of the season.

Begs the question; is someone injured and he's a temporary replacement OR is someone about to bid us a fond farewell and Toonie's having a look before committing himself to a full contract?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 23 Mar 2016, 9:15 pm

The new Kevin Tkatchuk?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 24 Mar 2016, 6:30 am

jimbopip wrote:So Glasgow have signed a Canuck loose head till the end of the season.

Begs the question; is someone injured and he's a temporary replacement OR is someone about to bid us a fond farewell and Toonie's having a look before committing himself to a full contract?
Yes, I suspect the latter - bye bye Mr Grant.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 24 Mar 2016, 10:43 am

Where would Ryan Grant go? He's only 30 so has a good few years left.

I do hope this trend of farming out SQ players for unheard of NSQ players doesn't last too long.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 24 Mar 2016, 11:55 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Where would Ryan Grant go? He's only 30 so has a good few years left.

I do hope this trend of farming out SQ players for unheard of NSQ players doesn't last too long.

Am not so sure that Grant will go, but he may well be taking a pay cut and it is hard to see that other clubs will be queuing up for him. We will be losing a LH though and my money would be on Jerry Y. I imagine he was only kept on for WC cover, though he never lets us down when he does play.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:00 pm

Sun's out, big guns out:

15. Stuart Hogg
14. Tommy Seymour
13. Mark Bennett
12. Alex Dunbar
11. Sean Lamont
10. Finn Russell
9. Henry Pyrgos

1. Gordon Reid
2. Fraser Brown
3. Sila Puafisi
4. Jonny Gray (Captain)
5. Leone Nakarawa
6. Rob Harley
7. Chris Fusaro
8. Josh Strauss

Replacements

16. James Malcolm
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Tim Swinson
20. Ryan Wilson
21. Grayson Hart
22. Duncan Weir
23. Taqele Naiyaravoro
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:01 pm

Team just out and Toonie has not held back, pretty close to our strongest team I would say. The rest periods can clearly come later against the Italian teams. The injuries that we took last weekend against leinster looked liket they scuppered any chance of any resting this week anyhow!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:03 pm

Yep - that squad is the business and hard to argue with any of it. Ulster are going to need to really show up for this one.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:17 pm

Only one uncapped player in that team, and he (Malcolm) has just signed his first professional contract. Other than that, it's essentially first-choice, and for the first time this season.

I'm keen to see Dunbar and Bennett linking up well. We'll need them at their best if we're to make an utterly improbable jump at the title.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:26 pm

(15-9): S Olding, C Gilroy, L Marshall, S McCloskey, R Scholes, P Jackson, R Pienaar;
(1-8): C Black, R Herring (C), R Lutton, A O'Connor, F van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Henry, N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, K McCall, A Warwick, R Diack, S Reidy, P Marshall, S Windsor, D Cave.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:29 pm

I'm told Rory Scholes is world class.....

In truth that's a pretty decent and hefty Ulster team. My Friday evening viewing is sorted.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:32 pm

The mighty Henderdon is back. Looks like it will be a good Friday night

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 24 Mar 2016, 12:41 pm

No Payne or Best. Ulster get Henderson back at 6.

Fancy Glasgow's front 5 against Ulster's. The back row for Ulster is big and Fusaro is the only one that is not 6'3+, 105kg+ in any of the starters. Depends on the ref whether he is able to get in on the ball often enough to be effective.

Half backs are as good as they get and Ulster's are probably better at the moment. Jackson has been one of the players of the season this year at the 10 spot.

Centres are interesting. On form Glasgow's could have been a Lion's partnership but Dunbar is still getting back and Bennett fell off the boil a bit. Ulster's are in good form and in the Ireland mix. Good contest.

Back 3 is also a close contest. Hogg is probably the best player on the pitch there but Gilroy is a fantastic threat.

Bench probably favour's Glasgow so if the pitch is heavy and the game close at the hour mark, I fancy Glasgow to win. Ulster have a damn good 1st 15 but not convinced by that sub's bench outside of Diack, Marshall and Cave.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:21 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote: . Ulster have a damn good 1st 15 but not convinced by that sub's bench outside of Diack, Marshall and Cave.  

You do Warwick, McCall, Andrew and Reidy a disservice, they are, at least, the equal of the 3 players you mentioned.
The front row are all very good prospects and Reidy has out performed Henry this year.
Diack, as always, flatter to deceive.
Marshall is a headless chicken
Cave has been poor recently

Windsor I'll give you - he really is crap

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:22 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm told Rory Scholes is world class.....

In truth that's a pretty decent and hefty Ulster team. My Friday evening viewing is sorted.

Scholes is very good, and could be a future international. Sorry that we're losing him to Edinburgh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:31 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:(15-9): S Olding, C Gilroy, L Marshall, S McCloskey, R Scholes, P Jackson, R Pienaar;
(1-8): C Black, R Herring (C), R Lutton, A O'Connor, F van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Henry, N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, K McCall, A Warwick, R Diack, S Reidy, P Marshall, S Windsor, D Cave.

Not our strongest. Thought Ludik might have returned. Disappointed he hasn't. On paper, we have a very strong back row, but Henry hasn't been at his best (Reidy has been the stand out), and don't know what we will get from Henderson with it being his first game after injury. Hopefully he is in ripping up trees form.

Very happy with Marshall and McCloskey at centre, and hopefully Pienaar is in top form. He was a bit jaded, as were a few of the team, after a virus, and after a long run of games.

We could win it, but will have to be in top form. Think Glasgow will edge it.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:32 pm

IanBru wrote:
I'm keen to see Dunbar and Bennett linking up well. We'll need them at their best if we're to make an utterly improbable jump at the title.
warning mad

Wash your mouth out young Bru. We can, and will, go unbeaten from now till the end of the season. I'm already planning the trip to Luvvieville.
My two areas of concern this evening are; the Ulster back row looks big and "tasty",and if Dunbar or angel get a knock we may well see the Shlong at 13 with Tacky outside him. picard Actually if they both have to go off we could have Meatball-Shlong in the centres. Shocked

Big Bad Bob Harley and Bluto should take care of the Ulster back row. Fozzie's effectiveness will be in direct correlation to Clownshoes tenuous grip on reality.

I predict a very tight game, which may well be decided by Clownshoes catching a glimpse of Big Al on the touchline and yellow carding the three Warriors nearest to him. "Just to be sure."

p.s. are you heading up for the game, Ian. I'm taking the young one for his first visit to a proper rugby ground. Neither the Library nor Twickers really count in my opinion.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 24 Mar 2016, 1:49 pm

Ulster have become our new Leinster over the years in terms of being the opposition that I'm most worried about facing.

That hasn't changed for this game and despite protestations of poor form from the Ravenhill Nutella Crepe Brigade, I don't buy that for a moment and we'll have to playing well to win this.

And with young Bru's stones mortgaged to the hilt on the kitchen table, I think that we have enough to take it: 18 internationalists returning will bring a tight band of brothers and that Glasgow bench is sopping wet with heavy impact. Er, matron.

For some reason, I think that if we do win it we will get our four tries in the process. Watch for Big Tacky coming on with 20 to go to do his hulk smash thingy.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 24 Mar 2016, 2:01 pm

"Ravenhill Nutella Crepe Brigade"
It's a superfood George, makes man out of mice Smile

Whilst I like the look of that Ulster selection I'm afraid that the stuck record that is our dreadful form will still be with us and no matter who returns to the match day squad, we'll still fail to get a point.
However, hopefully the break will have rejuvenated our players and have them well prepared for this mammoth task. Our key players must perform if we've to stand a chance and there's a lot of key players.
Also, imagine being any Glasgow player receiving the ball and being faced with Bick Nick, Hendo and Alan O'Connor. I did a bit of wee just thinking about it Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 24 Mar 2016, 2:29 pm

George Carlin wrote:
That hasn't changed for this game and despite protestations of poor form from the Ravenhill Nutella Crepe Brigade, I don't buy that for a moment and we'll have to playing well to win this.

Leaving aside I'd rather eat sawdust than Nutella we have been truly crap since the turn of the year - as bad as I have seen since McLoughlin took over.
The only teams we have played any rugby against are the 3 worst teams in top flight European rugby - Zebre, Onnoyax (sp?), Treviso against everyone else it has been totally unacceptable.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 24 Mar 2016, 3:10 pm

Glasgow definitely looking stronger on paper than Ulster.

On the upside our guys should be fresher and a bit better prepared with a lot of the Glasgow lads involved in the 6N over the last couple of weekends.

Definitely a must win game for both sides but fancy Glasgow here to nick the win unfortunately as they seemed to have turned a corner mentally over the last couple of rounds whereas Ulster have looked fragile.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 24 Mar 2016, 4:43 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote: . Ulster have a damn good 1st 15 but not convinced by that sub's bench outside of Diack, Marshall and Cave.  

You do Warwick, McCall, Andrew and Reidy a disservice, they are, at least, the equal of the 3 players you mentioned.
The front row are all very good prospects and Reidy has out performed Henry this year.

I do not remember much of Reidy. Don't watch much of Ulster except against the Scots clubs or the occasional Irish derby. Unless they are a beast who has come through or played a fair few games over the past 3-4 years they have not stuck. I do remember the name Warwick and McCall but thought they were among the players that got beaten by Edinburgh's 3rd choice props? Andrew never heard of.

Diack is okay at back row from what I have seen and underpowered for the 2nd row if that is where he comes on (I expect Henderson to be the player who moves into 2nd if he plays 80). Marshall I thought had improved a bit if Jackson was at 10. With Windsor I can see why he would be a headless chicken. I have barely seen Windsor play and remember him having a mare on a couple of occasions. Cave may have dipped in form but is a solid centre.

Surprised you did not bench a wing or FB though. Olding could slot into the centres and Scholes to FB if needed in that situation. Who is your wing cover? P Marshall?

As for looking fragile, they need no inspiration here. Glasgow knocked them out last year at the last minute when the final was played at home and beat them with a bonus point the week before. Players were jaded through illness and fatigue the last few games. Ulster have had a couple of weeks for this. If they can't get up for this, something is definitely off in Belfast.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 24 Mar 2016, 6:18 pm

Since Les Kiss assumed control of the reins at Ulster the team has undergone a lot of changes. Players now have to do a lot more thinking on their feet and some of them are struggling with that concept. Kiss is trying to introduce an offloading game which has affected the defensive structures in particular because when the ball is turned over there are gaps everywhere.

It's a pity for Nick Williams who is doing his best to get Ulster into the playoffs but if he's shut down Ulster have no go forward ball. Henderson on his comeback can't be expected to suddenly run through a solid Glasgow defence. McCloskey will also be rusty and maybe a tad deflated.

Given recent form it's hard to see past a 5 point win for the Scots.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 25 Mar 2016, 7:18 am

Independent has Ulster winning this one.

Just a few words on Paddy Jackson - to get 100 caps for your province at only 24 years of age is a great accomplishment.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 25 Mar 2016, 8:31 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:

I do not remember much of Reidy. Don't watch much of Ulster except against the Scots clubs or the occasional Irish derby. Unless they are a beast who has come through or played a fair few games over the past 3-4 years they have not stuck. I do remember the name Warwick and McCall but thought they were among the players that got beaten by Edinburgh's 3rd choice props? Andrew never heard of.

Diack is okay at back row from what I have seen and underpowered for the 2nd row if that is where he comes on (I expect Henderson to be the player who moves into 2nd if he plays 80). Marshall I thought had improved a bit if Jackson was at 10. With Windsor I can see why he would be a headless chicken. I have barely seen Windsor play and remember him having a mare on a couple of occasions. Cave may have dipped in form but is a solid centre.

You are proving my point - the three players you suggest as strong are the three familiar faces to you.

Reidy has been better at the breakdown than Henry this year and provided genuine link play as all good 7's do.
Neither of the props played against Edinburgh in that defeat. McCall is an excellent prospect at LH and Warwick isn't bad either and has that rare quality the ability to play both sides.
Andrew is a very good up and coming hooker.
I'd take any of these four over any of the three you mentioned any day.

Diack never break the gain line - for all his efforts, and qualities at the line out,  that simply isn't good enough for a back rower.
Marshall redefined the phrase 'headless chicken'. For someone over 30 his lack of common sense and maturity is quite appalling.
Cave is our 5th choice centre - solid yes. Trouble is the other 4 are all much better than solid.
Windsor isn't headless he is just crap.

Give me the 4 players on the rise over the 3 on the skids anyday

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 25 Mar 2016, 9:09 am

George Carlin wrote:Independent has Ulster winning this one.

Just a few words on Paddy Jackson - to get 100 caps for your province at only 24 years of age is a great accomplishment.

If he played for Leinster he'd probably have a 50 for Ireland to add to that too angel
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 25 Mar 2016, 9:17 am

rodders wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Independent has Ulster winning this one.

If he played for Leinster he'd probably have a 50 for Ireland to add to that too angel
I would have supported that. I've never seen Paddy 'go all Kate Winslet' when getting doinked on the head.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 25 Mar 2016, 12:35 pm

Lovely day here - although wind getting somewhat blustery. Should be a dry track if uneven. Who wants it most ? We need it most and Toonie is goin "baws oot' for this one. A win for us and we are back in the mix. Dream result would be 5 for us and zip for them to state the bleedin' obvious ! Any motivation can be found watching last weeks sterling backs to the wall effort as all places are up for grabs - see Finn's piece in today's National

WHATEVER IT TAKES

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 25 Mar 2016, 7:31 pm

Mon Glasgow!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 25 Mar 2016, 7:38 pm

Not a good start from Glasgow!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Mar 2016, 7:39 pm

Hog carded in less than 2 minutes.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 25 Mar 2016, 7:39 pm

First blow of the ref's whistle and a yellow card??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Mar 2016, 7:40 pm

Think it's where the offence took place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Mar 2016, 7:41 pm

yaaaaayyyyyyy !!!!!!!!! Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 25 Mar 2016, 7:42 pm

I just turned this on. 2 minutes in and we were yellow carded??? WTF??
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Mar 2016, 7:45 pm

Henderson looking great so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 25 Mar 2016, 7:47 pm

Glasgow's tackling has been terrible

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 25 Mar 2016, 7:51 pm

Gilroy on fire.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next