The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any News on the Marler case yet?

+23
yappysnap
JDizzle
Mad for Chelsea
TJ
Steffan
quinsforever
Scottrf
HammerofThunor
exile jack
PenfroPete
No 7&1/2
Poorfour
Allty
pheonix
RDSguru
Cardiff Dave
BigTrevsbigmac
nlpnlp
LondonTiger
RiscaGame
Shifty
Hoonercat
majesticimperialman
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Any News on the Marler case yet? - Page 2 Empty Any News on the Marler case yet?

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 05 Apr 2016, 5:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Is it today that Joe Marler faces World Rugby.

Any news yet on what his punishment is/ will be?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Any News on the Marler case yet? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any News on the Marler case yet?

Post by milkyboy Wed 06 Apr 2016, 8:04 am

nlpnlp wrote:I had to laugh at this.  Welsh boxer Billy Joe Saunders said in response to the gypsy boy comment “Now other people might think twice about using the term in an offensive way. There is no room for any racism is sport; especially at the standard that he is playing. I was talking about it on the phone to my friend Tyson Fury last night and we are both disgusted by it.”

Presumably this is the same Tyson Fury who said all gays should be killed, ‘a woman’s best place is in the kitchen and on her back’ and threatened to have reporter Oliver Holt beaten up for accurately reporting his homophobic and sexist rants.

That would have been an interesting phone conversation to have overhead... If you saw any of Saunders, and his team's, ranting homophobia in the run up to the Eubank fight, he's hardly the gold standard for upholding 21st century morality,

Guess you get to choose what discrimination you want to be offended by.

Looks like they finally got the marler punishment about right, even if getting there was a road trip Chevy chase would be proud of.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Any News on the Marler case yet? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any News on the Marler case yet?

Post by Gooseberry Wed 06 Apr 2016, 8:31 am

yappysnap wrote:And that took SIX HOURS to work out? What the Frak people?

I guess they probably had to spend a few hours googling gypsies, then googling caravans, then a stiff drink after all that horrible business. Then lunch...

Actually 6 hours seems pretty quick!

Hey this site still hasnt permanently banned Jimpy after several years of his crap.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Wed 06 Apr 2016, 8:32 am

Do we know who reported it to the media?

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Wed 06 Apr 2016, 8:34 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Nobody. It hit the media afterwards.

Do we know who reported it to the media?

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 06 Apr 2016, 8:43 am

Could have been picked up by anytone watching at the time to be fair, may have been a viewer, producer etc.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 06 Apr 2016, 9:06 am

Didn't the spokesperson for the gypsy and traveller community she had complained to world rugby?

She was pretty vocal on Twitter.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 06 Apr 2016, 9:56 am

Poorfour wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
JDizzle wrote:I did read that 20k was 1/5 of his total fee for the 6N? If so, it's effectively one match fee. Fair enough to me. If that figure is incorrect, a bit over the top. Agree with the rest though, this is a fair enough punishment.
Yep. £15k per match, plus a bonus for anyone involved in 5 wins, to take it to £115k for the 6N. Quite incredible in comparison to their salaries.

A player who plays a full international schedule will roughly double their club salary, maybe a bit more with win bonuses. The fine actually seems pretty well judged to me - in effect it's the France game and his 6N bonus.

I'd probably have been OK about the ban as well, if it wasn't for Pocock's 2 weeks on the same day. We're used to seeing the entry level ban halved for good character and remorse, but I think Marler's actions went beyond the usual - apologising in the middle of the match is not something you often see - and to end up with the same ban as someone who did something truly dangerous just seems wrong.

That said, it's probably more that Pocock's ban is ridiculously short for the offence rather than that Marler's is too
long.

At least it's over.

Ah yes, but no one was offended by a player nearly being choked out live on to.

So World Rugby can get back to their sherry in peace

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 06 Apr 2016, 10:11 am

yappysnap wrote:
Poorfour wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
JDizzle wrote:I did read that 20k was 1/5 of his total fee for the 6N? If so, it's effectively one match fee. Fair enough to me. If that figure is incorrect, a bit over the top. Agree with the rest though, this is a fair enough punishment.
Yep. £15k per match, plus a bonus for anyone involved in 5 wins, to take it to £115k for the 6N. Quite incredible in comparison to their salaries.

A player who plays a full international schedule will roughly double their club salary, maybe a bit more with win bonuses. The fine actually seems pretty well judged to me - in effect it's the France game and his 6N bonus.

I'd probably have been OK about the ban as well, if it wasn't for Pocock's 2 weeks on the same day. We're used to seeing the entry level ban halved for good character and remorse, but I think Marler's actions went beyond the usual - apologising in the middle of the match is not something you often see - and to end up with the same ban as someone who did something truly dangerous just seems wrong.

That said, it's probably more that Pocock's ban is ridiculously short for the offence rather than that Marler's is too
long.

At least it's over.

Ah yes, but no one was offended by a player nearly being choked out live on to.

So World Rugby can get back to their sherry in peace

Judging by some of the hyperbole on here Id disgaree that noone was offedned by Pocock.

Then again a lot of people were mortally offended by England scoring a try.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2