The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marler Banned

+34
Luckless Pedestrian
doctor_grey
exile jack
cakeordeath
Jimpy
nlpnlp
Cyril
HammerofThunor
munkian
mikey_dragon
beshocked
No 7&1/2
ScarletSpiderman
Cardiff Dave
quinsforever
SecretFly
The Great Aukster
PenfroPete
Knowsit17
majesticimperialman
lostinwales
sad_gimp
Scottrf
TightHEAD
offload
SimonofSurrey
nathan
rainbow-warrior
Marshes
Notch
IanBru
RiscaGame
Barney McGrew did it
Allty
38 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Marler Banned Empty Marler Banned

Post by Allty Tue 05 Apr 2016, 9:49 pm

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/35967459

Allty

Back to top Go down

Marler Banned Empty Re: Marler Banned

Post by Barney McGrew did it Tue 05 Apr 2016, 9:52 pm

Who did what now?
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 05 Apr 2016, 10:04 pm

Been thinking all day, I hope somebody does a new Marler thread. I'll sleep well tonight.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 05 Apr 2016, 10:11 pm

This is the first and only time I'll talk about Joe Marler. Here's what I think, in condensed form:

I don't think Joe Marler is any more of a racist than you or me. What he said is demonstrably racist. Gypsies and travellers are a distinct ethnic group, with heritage, traditions, and culture, which Joe Marler sought to mock. It doesn't matter if Samson Lee wasn't offended - Marler is a professional sportsman playing for his country against another country. What he says and does reflects on those he represents.

It has been said umpteen times that 'these things get said all the time', and 'it's just banter'. I think that's our problem - we are so busy telling ourselves that we're not racist because we 'have friends who are black', that we ignore the myriad things we do that still are racist.

So while I agree with the level of punishment Joe Marler has received, I won't castigate him. If we're honest, a lot of us are just as racist as he is - he just got caught.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 05 Apr 2016, 10:14 pm

Fair decision, and a punishment that fits the crime. Not disproportionate but not a whitewash either. Only frustrating thing is if the Six Nations committee had imposed this kind of sanction to begin with we would have all been spared weeks of this dragging on...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 05 Apr 2016, 11:04 pm

He'd only have got banned for one England game too, most likely. Really if World Rugby find that Six Nations blokeys should've taken action, they should fine them instead of Marler for incompetence.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Wed 06 Apr 2016, 12:28 am

Cool, now that is settled, on we go to await the next overblown drama!

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Wed 06 Apr 2016, 12:30 am

IanBru wrote:This is the first and only time I'll talk about Joe Marler. Here's what I think, in condensed form:

I don't think Joe Marler is any more of a racist than you or me. What he said is demonstrably racist. Gypsies and travellers are a distinct ethnic group, with heritage, traditions, and culture, which Joe Marler sought to mock. It doesn't matter if Samson Lee wasn't offended - Marler is a professional sportsman playing for his country against another country. What he says and does reflects on those he represents.

It has been said umpteen times that 'these things get said all the time', and 'it's just banter'. I think that's our problem - we are so busy telling ourselves that we're not racist because we 'have friends who are black', that we ignore the myriad things we do that still are racist.

So while I agree with the level of punishment Joe Marler has received, I won't castigate him. If we're honest, a lot of us are just as racist as he is - he just got caught.

clap
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 06 Apr 2016, 8:17 am

Marler got what he deserved as there is no debate that what he said was wrong. But i also feel sorry for him because the whole process was a mess.

Firstly the 6 Nations should of imposed a ban, secondly there was no reason this hearing from world rugby should taken place this late. It should of been done the week after at the most.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 06 Apr 2016, 8:24 am

nathan wrote:Marler got what he deserved as there is no debate that what he said was wrong. But i also feel sorry for him because the whole process was a mess.

Firstly the 6 Nations should of imposed a ban, secondly there was no reason this hearing from world rugby should taken place this late. It should of been done the week after at the most.

Yep...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 06 Apr 2016, 8:38 am

At last: a sensible outcome and we can all finally move on. The pity is that by this issue having being dragged out in this way:
1/ Marler risks being viewed not as someone who said a bang out of order thing in the heat of the moment - which he acknowledges - but as the kind of person/offender he isn't;
2/ the punishment did not hit him when and where it really should, and where it would have hurt him most - ie being banned from the GS decider in Paris; and
3/ as a result, the punishment will not match the crime - either he will miss two club games when his club has nothing to do with it, or he will miss two England games on the Oz Tour.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 06 Apr 2016, 8:45 am

This mistake from Marler has become a farce. It's what happens when people who lack judgment end up in positions of authority. 6N's Rugby were slow and wrong and lacked the competence to deal with this swiftly and appropriately. Had they done so - we all would have forgotten about this by now.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 06 Apr 2016, 9:20 am

He should refuse to pay the fine as the Six nations panel cleared him of any wrong doing. Take them to court Joe.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 06 Apr 2016, 9:43 am

TightHEAD wrote:He should refuse to pay the fine as the Six nations panel cleared him of any wrong doing. Take them to court Joe.
No they didn't.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Apr 2016, 4:31 am

Is it ok to kick a player in the head when he's on the ground? Marler is a lunatic.

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Sat 23 Apr 2016, 9:04 am

It was just a bit of niggle, no way in a million years anyone was going to get injured. Stupid and EJ should drop him for the summer tour, but anyone pretending he 'kicked someone in the head' needs to get a grip, it was a little tap on the shin.

He had a great game, shame he has this daft streak, he'll be a better player if he sorts it out.

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Apr 2016, 9:07 am

Yeah of course it would have done nothing but tickle the player on the ground. That's not really the point.

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 23 Apr 2016, 10:30 am

ebop wrote:Yeah of course it would have done nothing but tickle the player on the ground. That's not really the point.

The point being to find the witch and burn him of course

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 23 Apr 2016, 10:55 am

Marler is sure under the spot light lately.

He has been find, he has been banned ( paid his debt ) and now should be able to get on with it and not keep being punished all the time.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Apr 2016, 11:38 am

lostinwales wrote:
ebop wrote:Yeah of course it would have done nothing but tickle the player on the ground. That's not really the point.

Not at all, burning him at the stake would be excessive. Just give him another spell on the sideline for kicking a player in the head.

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 23 Apr 2016, 12:42 pm

lostinwales wrote:

I wouldn't say a few extra posts on the man constitutes a witch hunt. It's not like an entirely separate thread has been started over the latest incident (please nobody get any ideas!)

All I'll say about Marler is that the more controversial or borderline incidents he gets caught up in the more he'll risk suffering from future scrutiny i.e. Dylan Hartley. Many people would eventually come to think it's more than mere coincidence if he's prominently and repeatedly involved in off-the-ball situations.

Not trying to demonise Marler in any way or compare his disciplinary record to Hartley's at this point. Just think those are the risks in the extreme and if he gets cited in his first game back (remains to be seen) it doesn't exactly reflect beautifully.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sat 23 Apr 2016, 12:55 pm

Various clips (some blydi adverts Sorry )

http://www.worldrugbyvids.com/index.php/2016/04/22/joe-marler-kicks-heguy-in-face/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/79255381/england-prop-joe-marlers-return-from-suspension-marred-by-apparent-head-kick

http://sport.bt.com/video/madness-marler-kicks-grenoble-hooker-in-the-head-91364053618364
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 23 Apr 2016, 1:39 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Marler is sure under the spot light lately.

He has been find, he has been banned ( paid his debt ) and now should be able to get on with it and not keep being punished all the time.

I should've just stopped reading when you decided to spell fined like that, or maybe when you did your unnecessary brackets thing again . So you think just because he has been fined and banned for one thing, he should have carte blanche for the rest of his career? I am sure you don't, but it's hard to decipher quite what you mean.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 23 Apr 2016, 5:35 pm

RiscaGame wrote:

I should've just stopped reading when you decided to spell fined like that, or maybe when you did your unnecessary brackets thing again . So you think just because he has been fined and banned for one thing, he should have carte blanche for the rest of his career? I am sure you don't, but it's hard to decipher quite what you mean.

NO. I do not. What i am saying is this story is done with.

If he does something else, then ok go on about it.

But the thing with Samson Lee is done with and over. stop going on about it.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 23 Apr 2016, 5:43 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:

NO. I do not. What i am saying is this story is done with.

If he does something else, then ok go on about it.

But the thing with Samson Lee is done with and over. stop going on about it.

Ironically you're the only one still talking about Lee. Other recent comments were about Marler shinning a downed Grenoble player in the face in his first game back.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 24 Apr 2016, 10:34 am

Marler can't deliberately kick someone in the head and not get a ban. While there was never going to be major damage physical inflicted, it is exactly the sort of 'off the ball' wind up incident that the game could do without.

The Citing commission have to take into account a player's disciplinary record because they are there to adjudicate on... er... discipline. Having just been banned Marler shows he hasn't learned any disciplinary lessons, so he can expect the tariff to keep rising until he does.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 24 Apr 2016, 3:39 pm

If a lad screws up three times he should be let just get on with it.  A guy who screws up too many times in quick succession is obviously un-trainable, feral, and beyond the pale.  Such a player should be exempt from rules.  Let the man play his game.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 24 Apr 2016, 6:39 pm

yes he shouldnt have done it but if mcintyre's full blooded kick on itoje only merits a yellow than there is no way this is worse.

consistency people.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 24 Apr 2016, 9:27 pm

Thought the Farrell "tackle" deserved a straight red imo and the Marler nudge was quite amusing. Even the Grenoble bloke laughed.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 24 Apr 2016, 10:55 pm

O'Shea has said it wasn't a boot but a shin, and shouldn't be cited as in his opinion it wasn't worthy of a red. So that is the end of it, surely?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 24 Apr 2016, 11:19 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:O'Shea has said it wasn't a boot but a shin, and shouldn't be cited as in his opinion it wasn't worthy of a red.  So that is the end of it, surely?

Dunno but the bloke he shinned ever so slightly is a Frenchman, so it's probably ok as nobody will make fuss.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 24 Apr 2016, 11:41 pm

quinsforever wrote:yes he shouldnt have done it but if mcintyre's full blooded kick on itoje only merits a yellow than there is no way this is worse.

consistency people.

McIntyre should have seen red, despite the provocation from Itoje (who should have seen yellow).

Both acts were intentional and ill disciplined and therefore need to be judged.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 25 Apr 2016, 8:31 am

Bit torn on this, neither was a full blooded kick a yellow for each was probably the answer for me.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 25 Apr 2016, 9:35 am

Cardiff Dave Robson was falling down. Deserved YC for Farrell but no more.

The Great Aukster yellow for holding onto someone's foot - bonkers....

Thought Poite made the correct call then - would have been penalty against Itoje for holding on but then Mcinityre kicks him - YC for Mcintyre. I see it as Mcintyre getting his deserved comeuppance anyhow as Mcintyre got away with taking out Goode.

If Mcintyre kept his cool then Itoje would have been punished.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 25 Apr 2016, 9:38 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2016/04/24/ban-could-see-joe-marler-miss-england-tour/

"Joe Marler is to discover on Monday if he is to be cited "

"Wasps prop Simon McIntyre is also likely to be cited for an incident involved Saracens lock Maro Itoje, during which he received a yellow card for kicking out at the England player at the back of a ruck."
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 25 Apr 2016, 9:44 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:O'Shea has said it wasn't a boot but a shin, and shouldn't be cited as in his opinion it wasn't worthy of a red.  So that is the end of it, surely?

Dunno but the bloke he shinned ever so slightly is a Frenchman, so it's probably ok as nobody will make fuss.

I can't believe you would take that attitude just because he was French. That is what is wrong with this sport. People can go around saying it is acceptable to kick someone based on the country they are from/play in. If Marler had kicked an Englishman there would have been an uproar calling for him to be banned for months etc etc Run
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 25 Apr 2016, 1:24 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

I can't believe you would take that attitude just because he was French.  That is what is wrong with this sport.  People can go around saying it is acceptable to kick someone based on the country they are from/play in.  If Marler had kicked an Englishman there would have been an uproar calling for him to be banned for months etc etc Run

Where-as if Marler had kicked a Wales player, they would all want the Wales player banned Erm.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 25 Apr 2016, 1:33 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

I can't believe you would take that attitude just because he was French.  That is what is wrong with this sport.  People can go around saying it is acceptable to kick someone based on the country they are from/play in.  If Marler had kicked an Englishman there would have been an uproar calling for him to be banned for months etc etc Run

Where-as if Marler had kicked a Wales player, they would all want the Wales player banned Erm.

People do get very upset about headbutts you know!

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 25 Apr 2016, 1:36 pm

They also get upset about players jumping in mid-air and proceeding to dive head first into the ground (see the aftermath of Russell's illegal challenge on Biggar, 2015).

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:19 pm

Well, Marler's been cited, along with Farrell.

Hope he misses the summer tour and gets the message before he ends up costing us a game or injuring someone.

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:21 pm

Wasps prop Simon McIntyre has also been cited for allegedly kicking Sarries lock Maro Itoje.
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:34 pm

mid_gen wrote:Well, Marler's been cited, along with Farrell.

Hope he misses the summer tour and gets the message before he ends up costing us a game or injuring someone.

mid gen who? Marler or Farrell? Think both are a liability, need to sort themselves out.

Farrell has got away with poor discipline before, looks like that's not going to happen anymore.

Good.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:36 pm

Marler. I'm a Quins fan and think he's a great player but he doesn't seem to be getting the message. Decent length ban and losing the England shirt would do him some good you hope.

He's proved his quality as a player anyway, won't hurt to let some other players have a run in the shirt.

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 25 Apr 2016, 9:07 pm

beshocked wrote:Cardiff Dave Robson was falling down. Deserved YC for Farrell but no more.

Yeah, but it seems Farrell didn't notice and was already charging in with his head down and not looking from a fair few yards away. Reckless and dangerous for me. The end result sort of proves it really I would've thought.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 25 Apr 2016, 9:24 pm

The Shinning starring Joe Marler.
Wonder what the ending will be this time around.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 25 Apr 2016, 9:26 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

It's ok to kick a Turk though mun, don't forget.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 25 Apr 2016, 11:03 pm

What the hell would an Italian coach know about any of this? Ten years behind the rest of us.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 25 Apr 2016, 11:22 pm

beshocked wrote:The Great Aukster yellow for holding onto someone's foot - bonkers....

Thought Poite made the correct call then - would have been penalty against Itoje for holding on but then Mcinityre kicks him - YC for Mcintyre. I see it as Mcintyre getting his deserved comeuppance anyhow as Mcintyre got away with taking out Goode.

What's bonkers is that Itoje can risk a penalty if an official happens to catch him, but gain the reward of getting an opponent sent off if they react - as McIntyre did. Punishing only the player who retaliates and letting the instigator off scot free sends the message that cheating works.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 26 Apr 2016, 8:24 am

The Great Aukster wrote:
beshocked wrote:The Great Aukster yellow for holding onto someone's foot - bonkers....

What's bonkers is that Itoje can risk a penalty if an official happens to catch him, but gain the reward of getting an opponent sent off if they react - as McIntyre did. Punishing only the player who retaliates and letting the instigator off scot free sends the message that cheating works.

Agreed - it was a very cynical professional foul.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 26 Apr 2016, 9:10 am

The great aukster the "cheating" as you call it only worked because Mcintyre reacted. Mcintyre should have kept his cool.

If he did I expect it would have been a Wasps penalty.

Not sure the instigator got off scot free, he got kicked in the head.

I got to say I haven't seen Irish fans complaining when Scottish player got a decisive YC in the 6 nations after Sexton was cheating and milked the incident.

Itoje didn't react to the boot, he doesn't lose his cool. If he did I expect he would have been YCed.

Compare Farrell and Ashton's attitude to Itoje's.

It was simply an incident when player X did something that should be penalised but player Y did something worse which made the initial offense be trivial in comparison.

Holding someone's foot isn't comparable to kicking someone in the head.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next