The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympics or International Cap ?

+6
ScarletSpiderman
beshocked
Rugby Fan
Blueschief
RiscaGame
No9
10 posters

Go down

Olympics or Summer Tour

Olympics or International Cap ? Vote_lcap59%Olympics or International Cap ? Vote_rcap 59% 
[ 10 ]
Olympics or International Cap ? Vote_lcap41%Olympics or International Cap ? Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 17

Olympics or International Cap ? Empty Olympics or International Cap ?

Post by No9 Tue 12 Apr 2016, 6:02 pm

Heard last night that the rule is if you are selected to Tour in the Summer you aren't available to be selected for the Olympics GB 7s side (Austin Healy said in on BT's Rugby magazine show)..

I haven't really been keeping up to date with the Olympics 7s selection, if I'm honest.. But then on Radio Wales I heard that James Davies has been approached to be in the Olympics GB 7s side and with Tuperic now missing the tour to New Zealand, it was rumoured that Davies may have had a call up to the touring squad..

By all means, discuss Davies position, but I was wondering (and hence the poll), pushing the discussion further...

If you can Tour with your national squad or play 7s in the Olympics, BUT NOT BOTH, which would you select...

No9

Back to top Go down

Olympics or International Cap ? Empty Re: Olympics or International Cap ?

Post by RiscaGame Tue 12 Apr 2016, 8:29 pm

Olympics I think. Certainly in Davies' case too. I'm not sure a tour to NZ will benefit him for a debut and it's highly likely he'll get capped regardless.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Tue 12 Apr 2016, 9:01 pm

I'd pick the Olympics too, might not get another chance to. Time is on his side regarding Wales.

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:16 pm

The dilemma is more acute because no-one is guaranteed place in the Rio squad. Players have to play in warm-up tournaments to qualify for the Olympics but, if they don't stand-out, they won't be selected.

There are already three squads of existing sevens players competing for places, so any 15s players are going to need to be demonstrably better

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 13 Apr 2016, 9:27 am

Depends on the ability of the player.

7s.

Someone like Wade or Walker could benefit greatly from showcasing their talents at the Olympics too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:52 am

Cubby has been a very good quality international 7s in the past, and I honestly think he would be a fool to overlook the opportunity to go to the Olympics.  However he has made some odd decisions in the past like turning down playing in the British&Irish Cup because he was a Carmarthen Quins player and he didn't want to play for Llanelli (if the rumours are true), so it is possible he may be Welsh before British or now a XVs player instead of a 7s player.

I guess it all depends on your likelihood to get decent game time on the international tour, and your likelihood of featuring heavily in the 7s.  Also, as I said before whether you see yourself as a national of England, Wales, Scotland, or NI, or if you see yourself as British.

Last edited by ScarletSpiderman on Sat 16 Apr 2016, 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Retracting a claim which was wrong.)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 15 Apr 2016, 7:31 pm

There was a rumour kicking around that Stuart Hogg was asked as well. Scotland could certainly spare him from the summer tour to Japan and to my mind he should take the opportunity if it is on offer. He could be electric for GB sevens.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 15 Apr 2016, 8:15 pm

BigGee wrote:There was a rumour kicking around that Stuart Hogg was asked as well. Scotland could certainly spare him from the summer tour to Japan and to my mind he should take the opportunity if it is on offer. He could be electric for GB sevens.
No doubts - would be a fantastic selection.
Is Phil Vickery going to Rio?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 2:27 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Cubby has been world 7s player of the year in the past
He's certainly good, but he hasn't won that award.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 16 Apr 2016, 9:38 am

Rugby Fan wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Cubby has been world 7s player of the year in the past
He's certainly good, but he hasn't won that award.

I apologies you are right. I was certain he had, but can't find it anywhere. It must have been a player of the tournament, or Welsh player of the year, or something I imagined. Really should check what I say before I post it.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 16 Apr 2016, 10:18 am

Davies is behind Navidi for Wales. Plus he's too small, just like we were told that Cudd was too small.

Cubby is a good player but a little overhyped.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 16 Apr 2016, 10:20 am

If any current international from the XV aside game wants to play in the Olympics then that's their choice but I reckon they then ought to be told ok you have to commit to the 7s circuit for the year following the Olympics.

Let's see how many would really be that keen on winning Olympic gold then.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 16 Apr 2016, 10:43 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:If any current international from the XV aside game wants to play in the Olympics then that's their choice but I reckon they then ought to be told ok you have to commit to the 7s circuit for the year following the Olympics.

Let's see how many would really be that keen on winning Olympic gold then.

If they were going to be asked to commit for a year, then surely the year before the games would have been the time. There won't be many, if any coming over from XVs. I would not have a problem with the odd marque player like Hogg though. He is stepped in sevens history coming from the borders and would bring some stardust. If players are going to come over, then they need to add something to the squad and not be there for the sake of it.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down