The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: "Danny, Champion of The World"?: Notes from the Ballwasher

+11
Shotrock
SmithersJones
GPB
pedro
skiddy
navyblueshorts
beninho
Roller_Coaster
McLaren
puligny
kwinigolfer
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

PGA Tour: "Danny, Champion of The World"?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: "Danny, Champion of The World"?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 13 Apr 2016 - 14:41

First topic message reminder :

1).Well done Danny Willett! Hopefully The Masters will prove to be the first of many Major wins.

2).Anyone blaming the 12th hole water safari for Jordan Spieth's defeat is missing parts of a bigger picture. After his Round 1 66, Spieth reckoned that he got everything he possibly could have out of his round. Perhaps he proved it from Friday to Sunday as his +4 over Rounds 2, 3 & 4 was only 19th best in the field. Willett by contrast went -3, DJ was -2, Westwood and Holmes -1 and the rest even par or worse.

3).Willett ranked 1st or 2nd in both Par-3 and Par-4 scoring, but was only even par on the Par-5's, whereas Spieth was -11 (and Rory -10, Casey -9). Angel Cabrera was +5 on the Par-5's, +8 on the 15th hole alone, a birdie hole for almost everyone else in the field, yet still finished 24th at 6 over par.

4).Other random thoughts from Masters week:
How bad did Arnold Palmer look at the ceremonial opening drive? Thank goodness he didn't try to swing the club. He talks about his damaged shoulder but rumours abound that there's something much more serious chasing him. Sadly can't see any more Champions Dinners for Arnie.

5).Didn't the 350 yard Par-4 3rd hole prove that there's room at Augusta National for something more strategic than the otherwise relentless diet of 450+ yard Par-4's?

6).Billy Payne needs to let CBS TV have course reporters following the golfers. Or CBS needs to insist on it.
And CBS's broadcast crew have an average age of about 60. It was good to hear Dottie Pepper on the broadcast, but surely some younger blood would freshen things up a little/lot?
The magnanimous Green Jackets announced the award of a lifetime membership to Peter Oosterhuis - sure Peter is thrilled, but how cynical can Augusta National get?

7).Olympic stuff:
Paul Casey must have thought a 4th place finish would close the gap between him and Willett in the qualifying race for Team GB. Wrong, so expect to see Casey play a little more often now (starting this week) as it's probable that his only route to Rio is to secure a Top 15 owg ranking - unlikely he'll overhaul Willett & Rose.
And Fiji probably won't be represented with Vijay opting to concentrate on the PGA Tour.

8).Low Amateur was the golfer known to CBS as Bryson Deeee Sham Bo. He's now turned pro and debuts at this week's RBC Heritage.
Also returning to action will be Jason Bohn after apparently having recovered from his Honda heart attack. Good health to him.

9).Harbour Town has undergone some changes. The greens have been laid with TifEagle Bermuda (will that also mean they are firmer, this year anyway?) and tee-boxes, fairways and rough reseeded; a new irrigation system will hopefully improve the course's sustainability for the 51 weeks a year the Tour's circus is not in town.
Weather will have its say again this week, with winds an ever-present unwanted guest and rain expected, especially on Friday.

10).Good to see Matt Fitzpatrick committed for a week beside the seaside.
But this is also an important week for compadre Luke Donald who has a fantastic (for a non-winner anyway) record here. He's accumulated 3x 2nd place finishes and 2 x 3rd's since 2009, so if he's ever going to recapture his form, this will be a friendly place to start.
Two of Lukey's Ryder Cup mates from 2010 and 2012, McDowell (2013 winner here) & Molinari are also playing and both could use a return to form.
Harbour Town is among the shortest courses on the PGA Tour at 7,000+ yds and is probably the most "playable" for amateurs, low and high handicap golfers alike. A gorgeous place.
We've had the streak of "International" winners this spring. Now for a European streak?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: "Danny, Champion of The World"?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: "Danny, Champion of The World"?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 19 Apr 2016 - 18:18

I thought it was only Rumsfeld and his Neo-Con sidekicks who considered Europe "purgatory"?

Are you getting any of the rains that swamped Houston GPB? Little wonder that we haven't heard from robo for a week or so . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: "Danny, Champion of The World"?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: "Danny, Champion of The World"?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Tue 19 Apr 2016 - 18:39

No rain here yet where I live, but suppose to get some later today and tomorrow.  Robo is OK.

Not calling for extraordinary totals of rain.

Speaking of which, I better go out and mow the yard.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 19 Apr 2016 - 18:49

Don't rub it in . . . . . . . . ! Best to robo.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 19 Apr 2016 - 20:15

Hey all... sorry I haven't been around much... and thanks for your concern.   Me and my extended family in the Houston area got through all the storm, rain and flooding issues just fine... no injury or wind or flood damage for any of us.  

Quite the event though... in terms of lightning, rain, flooding and winds.  But we get one of these every 10-20 years... so it's not like we're shocked or entirely put out by what's happening.  Hey flooding sucks for all those who suffered it, and the inconvenience of utility outages, closed roads, businesses, schools and such is a drag for most the rest of us.  But I'd have to say 99%+ of us down here are coping just fine.  Prayers for that other 1% though.

And hey... how about that Danny Willett... huh?   GOOD for him.  Slays me about Jordan. Not that Jordan Spieth lost... but HOW he lost.  Hate to see anybody spit one up like that, but at least I admire him not giving up after his disaster.   But that said.... Danny EARNED his win, it was NO gift.  Yeah, some guy had to have some misfortune for Danny to win, but isn't that how most majors are won?  Bottom line is Danny played his ass off with a helluva final round, and when others crumbled he did NOT... Well played and all credit to him.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 19 Apr 2016 - 20:43

Time to take the family speedboat west on I10 for a few days robo.

No correlation it seems between the tournaments who get the best fields and those who drum up the highest charitable contributions. Just 40 x owgr pts to this wk's champ. Imagine we'll see similar in Dallas tho' sure Spieth will help.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 3:22

Confirmation from Adam Scott will not compete for Australia in the Rio Olympics.
So their team will likely be Day and Leishman unless one of them also declines.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 8:28

I know golf is not "really" an olympic sport. But i find it hard to imagine why someone would turn down the experience especially as it could be a one off. Neymar, Michael Jordan and Messi have all been to the Olympics, but its beneath Adam Scott.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 8:48

If he wants to give himself a potential "I wish I'd done that" moment later in life, so be it. I don't necessarily agree it's the right thing to do, but he obviously has reasons that are big enough for him to forego the opportunity.

On the Olympics, does it mean free to air golf coverage on the BBC (against their probable wishes...)?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 10:06

Not really a surprise. In fact I kinda thought Scott had already said he wouldn't be playing the olympics. He had made a few disparaging remarks about golf in the olympics over the last couple of years.

Who do you think will be the next player to announce that they will be giving in the olympics a miss?

So far VJ and Scott have withdrawn.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 10:49

Scott probably feels it's not a "one off" for him, could probably qualify when the Olympic calendar fits him better - the guys who play are going to be missing tournaments they might, in hindsight, be at; or they'll be knackered.

Terrible schedule for pros who are contending in all the big late-season events.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 10:55

Scott is 35, this could easily be his only chance to play in the olympics.

The more you think about it the more odd it seems it will be to see three pro golfers standing on an Olympic podium!
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by skiddy Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 11:33

Does anybody else just get the impression he doesn't want to play golf for a week without getting paid. I mean if you can only play tournaments you've dreamed of winning as a child then there's not many tournaments you can play. Did he dream of winning the Honda classic or bridgestone invitational?

skiddy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 11:44

He certainly didn't dream of winning Olympic Gold!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 12:11

Skiddy

I doubt he cares about getting paid, and presumably his sponsors would cover expenses for attending the event. As kwini points out it isn't something that is likely to mean anything to a golfer of his generation. It is possible he really doesn't give a toss about competing in the olympics.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 15:21

Jimenez has also said that he will not compete in the Olympics, not there is any chance that he would qualify now that RCB is playing very well

I have no interest in seeing Golf in the Olympics especially in the current format for a few reasons.

I think the golf competition should have been some sort of team event. 

The IOC is 2nd only to FIFA on the corrupt sports organizations.

And most important, I think the Olympics should be reserved for non-mainstream sports.  Sports like Swimming, Track/Field, Skiing, Skating, Gymnastics.

I really don't classify Golf, Tennis, Hockey, Basketball etc. as Olympic Sports.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 16:29

Agree GPB, it should be the pinnacle of your sport not a nice to have/win.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 21 Apr 2016 - 10:19

GPB wrote:

I really don't classify Golf, Tennis, Hockey, Basketball etc. as Olympic Sports.
? the olympics is definitely the biggest world event for hockey, not only as a tournament but an opportunity to showcase the sport at grass roots (probably the raison d'etre of the olympics). I know that I and many friends became aware and started playing after the GB bronze with Sean Curly.

I suppose the same could be said of sailing, rowing, etc
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Apr 2016 - 11:03

Monty,
I think GPB means ice hockey . . . . . . . where nothing usurps Lord Stanley's Cup.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 21 Apr 2016 - 14:42

Is ice hockey in the olympics? Shows how much notice I take...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 21 Apr 2016 - 14:47

It is in the winter olympics.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 21 Apr 2016 - 15:08

Makes sense I spose
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3