The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys

+37
GLove39
Anglobraveheart
bsando
poddy89
reallybored
NeilyBroon
lostinwales
PhilBB
Manky-Flanker
Prothero
R!skysports
SRN
TJ
Tattie Scones RRN
VinceWLB
Nematode
BigGee
EST
Eejit
RuggerRadge2611
Majestic83
Hazel Sapling
MacKnocked-on
nickj
des
TheMildlyFranticLlama
EWT Spoons
IanBru
cakeordeath
jimbopip
highland_scot
21st Century Schizoid Man
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
RDW
A Simply Mesmeric Try
41 posters

Page 15 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 15 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 21 Apr - 13:03

First topic message reminder :

A Brief History of Time-Wasting
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 15 BHO-Astronauts-Animals-in-space-00012087782635

https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
https://www.606v2.com/t56913-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo
https://www.606v2.com/t57946-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vii
https://www.606v2.com/t58659-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-viii
https://www.606v2.com/t59409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ix
https://www.606v2.com/t60764-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-x-rated
https://www.606v2.com/t61904-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-xi-the-undiscovered-country

Edinburgh
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 15 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRwKYyik1ZsD3_NYcbnfefbOA7hTaw1Oo_88AYpdNDsajawQmV
1872 Champions

Edinburgh's Fixtures & Results (click to show):

Glasgow
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 15 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnVncYalRPIL7Z-Ia2Em4LrCX8uZulmt1PKHCS4z5p5kPxIEYs
1872 Runners-up

Glasgow Warrior's Fixtures & Results (click to show):

Ladies and Gents, Girls and Boys, it's season finale!

Guinness PRO12 Play Offs
Fri 20 May 19:45 - Semi Final
Leinster Rugby 30 - 18   Ulster Rugby - RDS Arena 19,100

Sat 21 May 18:30 - Semi Final
Connacht Rugby  16 - 11   Glasgow Warriors - Galway Sportsground 7,800

Sat 28 May 17:30 - Grand Final
Leinster Rugby  10 - 20  Connacht Rugby  - BT Murrayfield - 34,550

Cinderella story or what?! Congrats to the Galway posse who were the form team of the season!

Last edited by A Simply Mesmeric Try on Wed 1 Jun - 20:08; edited 11 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated scores from finals)
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 15 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 15 Jul - 11:56

As long as he is behind Bradbury in playing time, it is a good signing. Is there a risk of losing him over the international window though?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 15 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys

Post by RDW Fri 15 Jul - 12:00

From a position needing filled point of view it certainly makes sense but I'm wondering about the quality of the player we're signing - he only made 5 appearances for Sale last season, 2 of which were off the bench. The only games he started were the Challenge Cup games, which suggests he was very much squad cover at Sale.

He did score 2 tries in those 5 appearances so he's got a better strike rate than Maitland! Run

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 Jul - 12:34

RDW_Scotland wrote:It's not about a sense of injustice and I don't mean to just focus on him, but it really sends the wrong message to young up and coming Scottish players, and those club players who are grafting week in week out and getting nowhere with Scotland - a random Kiwi is brought over and gets a Scotland cap having hardly played any pro rugby, then buggers off again when things don't work out.

In what Universe is that a good way of doing things? I'm waiting on someone to come on and say 'that's pro rugby, get over it' but I just don't understand how people can be happy with a situation like this.

Scotland really have handed out far too many cheap caps over the last few years, especially compared to most other top 8 nations.  This is of course mainly down to a lack of strength in depth, but no one could claim that you really have to earn a Scotland cap. International rugby is meant to be for the best of the best yet we seem to give away caps as if they are on special offer in a discount store.

Of course it is no surprise to see you disparage the achievements of an Edinburgh player but as always you are being way overly harsh - Roddy Grant is probably one of the best players never to be capped by Scotland, having been a very consistent top level performer and put in many MOTM performances in his time.

Completely agree. Scotland caps need to be harder won. I actually thought Blake was a decent prospect, and a better player than Fusaro. It was really the arrival of Hardie that scuppered him along with the return to favour of John Barclay, and Watson probably has the edge on him as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 Jul - 12:35

The new signing looks pretty average, but Manu never seems to be fit so I understand the need for cover.

As Hazel says, I hope this doesn't cost Bradbury exposure.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 15 Jul - 12:51

Edinburgh Rugby today confirmed the signing of Tongan international back row Viliami Fihaki on a two-year contract.

The 29-year-old back row joins from Sale Sharks and is looking forward to his new challenge north of the border and what he can bring to the black and red jersey.

He said: “I’m mainly a number 8 but I can play on the blindside too. I think my physicality will help the club, especially carrying the ball into contact.”

Prior to his time with Sale, Fihaki played with New Zealand provincial side North Harbour for over four years in the ITM Cup.

He made his international debut for Tonga against Japan in May 2013, and now has eight Test caps for his country with two tries to his credit.

Through his involvement with previous clubs and his country, Fihaki is familiar with a number of his new team-mates.

“I’ve played against a few of the squad – Nasi Manu back in New Zealand and Will Helu in the Premiership, though I’ve also played with him in the Tongan team.

“Of course I’ve played alongside Fowlesy [Nathan Fowles] at Sale and also with Phil Burleigh in a Chiefs development side.

“The move will be a great adventure for me and my family and I’m looking forward to getting involved.”

Edinburgh Rugby head coach Alan Solomons said: "We are delighted that Vili has signed for the club.

“He is a big, powerful ball carrier with international experience.

“I have no doubt that he will add huge value to the team and look forward to working with him."

I suppose if we're talking about squad cover here then we're only really going to be able to sign someone who has already been squad cover somewhere else!

This is the big 8/6 we've been asking for so let's see what he can do.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 15 Jul - 12:55

Blake going is a bit strange, more so in the timing of it.

I suspect that he has made the call himself and decided that he was not going to get enough game time in 15s to make it worth his while staying. Glasgow I imagine, were happy to keep him on the books as a back up and send him off to play 7s the rest of the time.

I don't think we will ever know how good a player he is/could have been.

VC clearly rated him, but Toonie maybe less so. I would have him above Fusaro and behind Favaro in the current Glasgow OS queue aqnd he maybe is a better link player than both of them, something that would have really blended in the Glasgow style.

Still, life goes on and it does certainly open up the door for Matt Smith. Maybe he will have benefitted from his time over here, establish himself in super rugby and we will then see him again in a Scotland shirt. Going back to NZ certainly did not do Piers Francis any harm!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 15 Jul - 13:57

BigGee wrote:Blake going is a bit strange, more so in the timing of it.

Still, life goes on and it does certainly open up the door for Matt Smith. Maybe he will have benefitted from his time over here, establish himself in super rugby and we will then see him again in a Scotland shirt. Going back to NZ certainly did not do Piers Francis any harm!

Leaving the Knitwear Catalogue Models Cheese And Wine Tasting Society to return to a career as a rugby player would only benefit Piers Francis; leaving the best club in the Pro 12 to go back to the club he started at may not be a giant leap forward for young Shuggie.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 15 Jul - 15:06

jimbopip wrote:
BigGee wrote:Blake going is a bit strange, more so in the timing of it.

Leaving the Knitwear Catalogue Models Cheese And Wine Tasting Society to return to a career as a rugby player would only benefit Piers Francis; leaving the best club in the Pro 12 to go back to the club he started at may not be a giant leap forward for young Shuggie.

You mean the 4th best club in the Pro12, and 1872 Cup runners-up surely??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 15 Jul - 15:19

So apparently Hugh Blake is only away on Loan until the end of October!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 15 Jul - 15:38

RDW_Scotland wrote:So apparently Hugh Blake is only away on Loan until the end of October!

WTF?

This is just strange. The only way it makes sense is if Glasgow think Fusaro and Favaro will get themselves injured by that point so let him build his 15s shape with game time in the ITM and have a couple of months at home with the family (along with letting the NZRU pay for it).

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 15 Jul - 15:39

Without being too cynical, when is his contract up?

I've re-read the article and neither BoP nor Blake mention a loan period. I think, and I'm making a wild supposition here, that Jamesie Cotter was desperate to see him in a Scotland jersey and "persuaded" the bean counters at HQ to finance the deal (all or the lions share) in the short term with whichever club he ended up at making up the shortfall to begin with and then taking over, say in October 2016.

Again, wild supposition no.2, the Luvvies didn't want him because he would give Hamish Watson an identity crisis (and vice versa) and Toonie decided to show the bumpties that signing players for Glasgow was best left to the coaching and management staff at Glasgow Warriors.
So,come October 1st there's no-one willing to pay his wages. The loan period back in NZ  gives him time to find a club or for the SRU to decide if it wants to keep him on the payroll.

Definitely not Scottish Rugby's finest moment, nor, sadly, their worst.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 15 Jul - 15:43

The fact that there is no "and we will welcome him back at the club after October" statement may tell us all we need to know...

Then again he could come back to provide cover in the Ais with Fuvaro away with Italy.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 15 Jul - 15:47

RDW_Scotland wrote:The fact that there is no "and we will welcome him back at the club after October" statement may tell us all we need to know...

Then again he could come back to provide cover in the Ais with Fuvaro away with Italy.

clap if you meant it.

warning if you didn't.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 15 Jul - 17:33

Maybe he just wants to get himself back up to speed playing 15s again after a year away with the sevens.

I did think this was a bit odd as if they were going to have binned him, then surely it would have happened at the end of the season with all the other departees.

I think he does have a future at Glasgow if he wants one.

Favaro will always get injured the way he plays and it ill surely limit his career at the end f the day.

Fusaro is limited as a player, not least by his size and he also seems to gtknocked about a bit and come off worse.

Matt Smith is all potential at the moment and will no doubt take a few years to really hit his straps at full pro level.

Blake is a skilful ball playing back row, who did not disgrace himself when he tuned out in the centre a few times. He probably has a skill set that the others do not, which is what attracted him to VC in the first place. He could be he linking payer that we so really need and could rally suite the Glasgow style.

He is a bit of an enigma still as we have not really seen so much of him yet, outwith the sevens. I would still quite like to see a bit more and do hope he does come back in October.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Fri 15 Jul - 20:55

I think he's gone back top play 15's at a high level and see the family. He's been a constant in our 7s for the past year, so he's not been out of work, but may be rusty in the 15s area of expertise.

If you look at past SRU shall we say "c0ck-ups" of this nature, as far as I know, none have been a short loan. They're always a blunt statement of "Soandso has left the club and/or mutually agreed to terminate their contract [and has returned to the land of free flowing rugby where their career might well improve]".

This is nothing of the sort. So I expect him to be back playing in Scotland, or Europe before too long. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays down there for longer, even a year or two, before returning.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sat 16 Jul - 12:18

Blake is only 23, far too young to be throwing in the towel on his Scotland career. Townsend should have been playing him instead of Fusaro, in my opinion he's a player of far greater potential. For all his positives as a coach sometimes I think he lets himself down by not giving certain players a chance.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Senlac Sat 16 Jul - 18:13

Just watched Stormers vs Kings. Kings were poor, but Huw Jones looked very good indeed, scoring 4 tries and having a 5th chalked off for an earlier infringement.

Will be very interesting to see whether he is brought over to Scotland or not. He would suit Glasgow's style very well indeed.
Senlac
Senlac

Back to top Go down

Post by Prothero Sat 16 Jul - 21:49

Blake is a good prospect but i feel Fusaro is being poorly represented here. He played very well last year going head to head with Hardie amounst others, he accepted the challenge to his position from fuvaro and rose to the challenge. He is one of the guys who carry the warrior's ethos and culture.

Toonie obviously wants his 7 to have niggling physicality, fusaro isn't huge but he does his job well and often unnoticed. Blake strikes me as a guy who might pull something spectacular out the hat for you occasionally but isn't as abrasive or committed in the break down. (that's based on watching Blake only twice if im being honest). A good Rugby team needs guys like Fusaro who don't particularly get the plaudits from the fans but provide the oil and lubrication that allows the gears of the team to move forward through sheer sweat, effort and commitment.

That being said I do hope Blake comes back and maybe gets a slot at a English premier team, We are really not in the position to be jettisoning 23 year old talent's.

Prothero

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 17 Jul - 9:46

Senlac wrote:Just watched Stormers vs Kings.  Kings were poor, but Huw Jones looked very good indeed, scoring 4 tries and having a 5th chalked off for an earlier infringement.

Will be very interesting to see whether he is brought over to Scotland or not.  He would suit Glasgow's style very well indeed.

Highlights here

https://youtu.be/5s8PmSmqsVY

Cracking first try!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Sun 17 Jul - 20:57

Anyone else notice that Lee Jones and Joseva Nayacavou have been playing for GB 7s? That makes 7 Scots in contention.  Very Happy

(Teams for Europe Grand Prix 7s - Gdynia, Poland. Royals won the event 26 -14 against Lions)
GB Royals          
Tom Bowen
Alex Davis          
Jamie Farndale
Alex Gray          
Charlie Hayter
Warwick Lahmert            
Ollie Lindsay-Hague      
Ruaridh McConnochie  
Joseva Nayacavou
Scott Riddell

James Rodwell
Luke Treharne (c)

GB Lions
Mark Bennett
Phil Burgess      
Cameron Cowell (England Sevens)
Sam Cross          
James Davies    
Richard de Carpentier  
Lee Jones          
Gavin Lowe      
Tom Mitchell (c)              
Dan Norton      
Mark Robertson        
Morgan Williams (Ospreys Rugby)
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Mon 18 Jul - 6:27

Also, on his return to Super Rugby action for the Stormers, Huw Jones scored 4 tries against the Kings!
Quote "The star of the show was Scotland International Huw Jones." - You don't hear remarks about Scots often often in Super Rugby commentary. Nice to get some exposure.

Highlights below.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 18 Jul - 9:20

Jones took his tries well working off the threat of De Allende. Admittedly the Kings are the Newport Gwent Dragons of Super Rugby but 4 tries is a good return. He has only played 8 games this season (at an average of 26 minutes) with 1 start of 80 minutes accounting for almost half his playing time. If he wants to kick on as an international for the 6 nations, he needs more playing time.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/super-rugby/player?playerid=9766

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Mon 18 Jul - 17:41

Hazel Sapling wrote:Jones took his tries well working off the threat of De Allende. Admittedly the Kings are the Newport Gwent Dragons of Super Rugby but 4 tries is a good return. He has only played 8 games this season (at an average of 26 minutes) with 1 start of 80 minutes accounting for almost half his playing time. If he wants to kick on as an international for the 6 nations, he needs more playing time.

We won't be seeing Jones for the 6 Nations unless he moves to Europe, surely?!
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jul - 18:19

Piers Francis made Super Rugby team of the week! Shocked

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 18 Jul - 19:02

RDW_Scotland wrote:Piers Francis made Super Rugby team of the week! Shocked
Edinburgh is cryptonite to a player's talent and to move from Edinburgh is to save one's career. 

Discuss.  Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 15 1347041234
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 18 Jul - 23:25

Piers Francis has been on fire in super rugby this season. In line to be named blues player of the season.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 19 Jul - 7:26

A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:Jones took his tries well working off the threat of De Allende. Admittedly the Kings are the Newport Gwent Dragons of Super Rugby but 4 tries is a good return. He has only played 8 games this season (at an average of 26 minutes) with 1 start of 80 minutes accounting for almost half his playing time. If he wants to kick on as an international for the 6 nations, he needs more playing time.

I have a sneaky feeling that before he opted to wear the Scotland jersey he would have had quite a detailed conversation with representatives of the SRU about what he would be expected to do in order to continue playing for Scotland. I mean, it is possible that he was capped because he was close by and we couldn't afford to fly anyone else out. It is also possible that he is aware that he has disqualified himself from playing for any other country but has no intention of moving back to Europe; he just wanted to see what it felt like playing for Scotland.

I know that many, many historical precedents will say otherwise BUT I can't help feeling that the SRU have, must have, explained that the first cap should be followed by a relocation to the northern hemisphere and a commitment on both sides to develop him as a Scotland player.

What else could Rab C Johnson possibly have said to him?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 19 Jul - 9:30

jimbopip wrote:

I have a sneaky feeling that before he opted to wear the Scotland jersey he would have had quite a detailed conversation with representatives of the SRU about what he would be expected to do in order to continue playing for Scotland. I mean, it is possible that he was capped because he was close by and we couldn't afford to fly anyone else out. It is also possible that he is aware that he has disqualified himself from playing for any other country but has no intention of moving back to Europe; he just wanted to see what it felt like playing for Scotland.

I know that many, many historical precedents will say otherwise BUT I can't help feeling that the SRU have, must have, explained that the first cap should be followed by a relocation to the northern hemisphere and a commitment on both sides to develop him as a Scotland player.

Maybe he's still trying to work out what Johnson actually said to him meant?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jul - 10:07

Mark Robertson and Mark Bennett the only Scottish player in the Team GB 7s squad picard

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 19 Jul - 10:19

RDW_Scotland wrote:Mark Robertson and Mark Bennett the only Scottish player in the Team GB 7s squad picard

Is that just to get us ready for the Lions' tour disappointment?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 19 Jul - 12:24

The problem with the Huw Jones situation is Glasgow already have enough centres unless they talk about moving Horne more into the 10 role or Vernon makes the trip over to Edinburgh. Edinburgh are the wrong style of play for a quick skillful 13. It is tough to see where he fits at a Scots club.

As for the 7s, maybe another Scot could have proved deserving but 2 in 12 is not bad especially if 1 or both play significant roles..

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jul - 12:42

Hazel Sapling wrote: Edinburgh are the wrong style of play for a quick skillful 13. It is tough to see where he fits at a Scots club.

I know what you mean but to be fair that's what we've already got at Edinburgh with Michael Allan!

We've got enough depth but we really could do with start quality at 13, and although Jones isn't there yet he looks a lot more promising than Chris Dean has shown to be so far. Dean just looks too slow to be a top class 13 - he's solid enough defencively but was fairly average in an attacking sense last season. Not helped by playing in that Edinburgh backline granted...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 19 Jul - 13:12

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote: Edinburgh are the wrong style of play for a quick skillful 13. It is tough to see where he fits at a Scots club.

I know what you mean but to be fair that's what we've already got at Edinburgh with Michael Allan!

We've got enough depth but we really could do with start quality at 13, and although Jones isn't there yet he looks a lot more promising than Chris Dean has shown to be so far. Dean just looks too slow to be a top class 13 - he's solid enough defencively but was fairly average in an attacking sense last season. Not helped by playing in that Edinburgh backline granted...

Problem is I see AS going with Burleigh-Rausolea (or whatever the spelling is) as he liked to have a big 13 (look at what happened to Scott). I have a real lack of faith in AS at the moment to build an attacking backline. Would make a great forwards coach.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 20 Jul - 5:36

Hazel Sapling wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Problem is I see AS going with Burleigh-Rausolea (or whatever the spelling is) as he liked to have a big 13 (look at what happened to Scott). I have a real lack of faith in AS at the moment to build an attacking backline. Would make a great forwards coach.
Yes. Good job he is a spritely young thing with time to learn.  Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 21 Jul - 10:22

lostinwales wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

Maybe he's still trying to work out what Johnson actually said to him meant?
I'm just guessing here, but it was probably something along the lines of "A nod's as good as a wink to a bloke with soap in his eyes, it ain't over 'til the fat lady's called a taxi and tells you 'It's not you, it's me', and a rolling stone gathers no moss but might be a useful option at centre."

To which young Huge Ones would have responded, "So is de Allende moving to Glasgow or not?"
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 21 Jul - 12:48

What did you say, Bru?
Glasgow are signing Allende?
Salvador or Isabel?
I suppose it depends on whether Toonie feels we need an forward looking, tactically minded left-winger or someone with good ball handling skills (allegedly). Don't tell Schiz but the last time Toonie tried to sign her the deal fell through when she insisted that they stop selling beer in The Scout Hut and rename it The House Of Spirits.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Jul - 12:56

Apparently Vern Cotter is interviewing for the Lions job!

With the 2017 Lions series now under one year away, the search for the coach who will lead the tour has been narrowed down to three candidates.

After months of speculation, this evening tour manager, John Spencer, confirmed that Warren Gatland, Joe Schmidt and Vern Cotter will all be interviewed for the position of head coach.

Spencer revealed the news in The Rugby Paper, and confirmed that Eddie Jones would have been in the running for the job, had he not stated his desire to take charge of England’s tour of Argentina.

Although Spencer did not say when the interviews would take place, he did state that an appointment would be made in September.

Gatland remains the favourite to reprise the role, but Schmidt should not be discounted as an alternative.

Indeed, not only has the Irish coach remained coy on his future, but he previously worked with Cotter at Clermont, raising the prospect of the duo once again linking up as the potential coaching team.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 22 Jul - 13:04

May help pad the CV. If it does not effect Scotland's portion of the Lions money, I want the bare minimum of Scots involvement. Big series against Australia and a couple of wins there may start changing perception of Scotlands place in the world order.

In other news, Huw Jones is starting for the Stormers in the Super Rugby playoffs. Hopefully he can demonstrate how criminally underused he has been this season.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Jul - 13:23

It's OK - if Cotter buggers off to the Lions for a year we've got Scott Johnson to step up and take charge...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Senlac Fri 22 Jul - 14:42

Hazel Sapling wrote:May help pad the CV. If it does not effect Scotland's portion of the Lions money, I want the bare minimum of Scots involvement. Big series against Australia and a couple of wins there may start changing perception of Scotlands place in the world order.

In other news, Huw Jones is starting for the Stormers in the Super Rugby playoffs. Hopefully he can demonstrate how criminally underused he has been this season.

This! I'm still annoyed that we missed a golden opportunity to beat the Springboks on their home turf back in 2013 because our 4 best players were carrying water bottles in Australia. And I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have lost our unbeaten record against Samoa during the same series either if we'd had them available.

I really don't understand why so many people seem to put so much stock by being "a Lion". Especially when that includes simply being invited on tour to make up the squad quota with no prospect of playing.

I mean, some people on these boards still seriously refer to Ryan Grant as being "a Lion" as if it were something to be proud of. Surely being grudgingly called up as 4th choice last resort only after injury to a retired ex-coke-head, and not even being trusted with a token 2-minute cap off the bench despite playing in a position where most players* have to be hooked after 60 mins isn't that much of an achievement?

We're heading in the right direction just now, I really hope we don't spoil it by losing our coach and best players on a pointless vanity tour.

*Unless your name is WP Nel and your coach is Alan Solomons, of course.
Senlac
Senlac

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 22 Jul - 15:48

RDW_Scotland wrote:It's OK - if Cotter buggers off to the Lions for a year we've got Scott Johnson to step up and take charge...
Toonie is the obvious stand-in, and it would probably fit if he's due to leave Glasgow next summer, but I wonder how Toulon, Saracens or Waikato would react to losing their coach for the summer preceding their first season? Wink

Other than Toonie, who in the Scottish Rugby fold would we be happy with for the summer? Matt Taylor would probably do a decent job, and even Alan Solomons might... no, there's a limit to how far I can joke.

Jason O'Halloran would be good as well, with the added bonus that any player who forgot his glasses would just assume Stern Vern was still there.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Jul - 16:23

If Cotter did go to the Lions in some capacity I suspect we'd stick with the same coaching team and, like it or not, Johnson would probably be the main main for the tour.  Can't see Townsend being brought in just for a summer tour.

If Cotter is head coach (which is probably only a remote chance) then we'd need someone for the AIs, 6N and summer tour - that may be Johnson again supported by the current coaching staff.

Johnson is still involved with the Scotland team - you always see him on the cameras in the changing rooms and while the team are warming up etc - so he still ha some sort of influence over things. Somehow!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 25 Jul - 8:48

Tumbleweed

Anyone got any good chat??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 25 Jul - 10:07

Watched the Stormers game until the point of no return vs the Chiefs at 46 minutes played, 39-14 to Chiefs. Jones made a couple of good support lines in the rather limited amount of touches he got (even though Stormers had the majority of possession they played a lot through the forwards). On the last try I watched he came flying out the line, ball moved past him quickly and McKenzie got a run in without being touched.

Hard to say anything other than he did not have a good game, but no Stormer stood out well (except maybe Koch who got both tries tempered by not dominating in the scrum)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 25 Jul - 10:15

I went to see Star Trek on Friday - quite exciting, but not as good as the previous two, and not in the same league as The Wrath of Khan. Also, Simon Pegg is great as Scotty, but if I hear him say 'lassie' one more freaking time...

I've come in to work to find that the cleaners knocked over all the tea on Friday night, and in putting them back, mixed the green tea bags with the Yorkshire breakfast tea, and the bags are practically indistinguishable. As a non-tea-drinker, and with my desk facing the kettle, it's going to be pure comedy gold for the next week or so.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 25 Jul - 10:21

IanBru wrote:I've come in to work to find that the cleaners knocked over all the tea on Friday night, and in putting them back, mixed the green tea bags with the Yorkshire breakfast tea, and the bags are practically indistinguishable.

Shocked

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XII - Twelve Monkeys - Page 15 164a5172be5d2b0427a29955494468dca1e71cce566cc7b3cd6a0ca0cf1a34be

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 25 Jul - 10:30

It reminds me of the best joke I know:

Why did Karl Marx only drink green tea?
Because proper tea is theft.

I know, that's literally the best I've got. Cool
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon 25 Jul - 11:17

Well to return to a common theme on these threads, I joined the ranks of the recently engaged a couple of weeks ago, popping the question at the Fairy pools on Skye.

Thankfully my fiancée has no interest in attending wedding fairs, so I may escape that particular horror!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 25 Jul - 11:30

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:Well to return to a common theme on these threads, I joined the ranks of the recently engaged a couple of weeks ago, popping the question at the Fairy pools on Skye.

Thankfully my fiancée has no interest in attending wedding fairs, so I may escape that particular horror!

Congratulations! Hug

And good job on the wedding fairs - they are far worse than you can ever imagine!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 25 Jul - 11:53

London Scottish and Scottish Rugby are pleased to confirm the first group of players to team up with the Exiles as part of our performance partnership.

The five players - whom arrived and started training earlier this week - are among Scotland's brightest young prospects, with hooker Cameron Fenton accompanying back-row Ally Miller, scrum-half Hugh Fraser, centre Tom Galbraith and wing Ben Robbins after their involvement at the World Rugby U20 Championship.

Fenton, who came through the ranks with Bell Baxter High School and Howe of Fife, before spending his final year at Strathallan School, has been part of the Glasgow Warriors squad for two seasons, and recorded his Guinness PRO12 debut against Munster in February with a memorable victory.

Fenton has represented Caledonia U16, U17 and U18 and has played for Scotland at under-17, U18 and U20 level.

He said: "There is a great bunch of boys down here, and the partnership is brilliant for young players to get the chance to play in a league such as the Greene King IPA Championship.

"I'm looking forward to getting on to the pitch."

Miller was part of the Scotland U20 squad that recorded the team's highest ever finish at the World Rugby Under-20 Championship (8th) in 2015 and 2016.

The back-row also captained Edinburgh's Under 20 side, and the George Watson's College Scottish Schools Cup winning sides of 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Miller is looking forward to a new challenge at the Athletic Ground.

"Most of the guys from Scotland age groups have worked with Sean Lineen [Head of International Age-Grade Rugby and Director of Rugby at London Scottish] before; it's good to have some familiar faces around.

"Hopefully we can add to what is a great squad at Scottish this season."

Fraser joined the BT Sport Academy in 2014, having started out at Teddington, Esher and London Irish.

He represented Scotland at under-16, U17, U18 and U19 and made his Scotland under-20 debut in the 24-6 win over England, in the opening game of the 2016 Six Nations Championship.

Consistent performances in the summer earned him a place the World Rugby Under-20 Championship 'Dream Team', for playing his part in Scotland's record equaling finish.

Fraser said: "I've seen a few Championship matches and it will be a great test for us. The pre-season matches against Blackheath and Saracens can't come soon enough."

A product of Kelso RFC and Perthshire Colts, Galbraith broadened his rugby experience in New Zealand in the summer of 2014, where he played for Upper Clutha RFC in the Otago region.

He made his first start for Scotland under-20 in the final game of the 2015 Six Nations - a 17-10 defeat of Ireland at Netherdale - and went on to appear in four of his side's five games in the World Rugby Under-20 Championship in Italy that year.

He featured in every Scotland under-20 game in 2016, and captained the side against Ireland in the Six Nations.

Galbraith admitted he is looking forward to a full season in another new environment."

"The first few days have been great. Being part of the squad is an exciting opportunity that we're keen to grasp with both hands."

Robbins' searing pace earned him under-17 British Championship success at 400m and saw him race to New Year Sprint glory in 2013, before he hung up his running spikes to commit to the BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy in the summer of 2014.

He scored his first Scotland under-20 try against Italy, when he came on as a second-half substitute in the 2015 Six Nations Championship clash at Netherdale, and subsequently added to his international tally with his side's sole try in the game against England in Darlington.

He also spent time as a professional youth footballer with Livingston FC, before turning his full-time attention to rugby.

Robbins is hoping that the squad can excite the Athletic Ground supporters.

"I'm ready to go so hopefully we can make a difference to the team and make it an exciting season for everyone involved."

Head Coach Peter Richards has been impressed by their influence already, after less than a week of training.

"The guys have been brilliant and all look like great prospects, so we are excited to have them with us for the 2016/17 season.

"There is great competition among the group for places in our match-day squad, so the addition of these players can only add to what is a very promising year ahead for London Scottish."

The Performance Partnership

Earlier this year Scottish Rugby and London Scottish announced a new partnership to support the development of a joint performance programme.

The agreement, which is resource focused, will see regular coaching, playing and high performance support provided by Scottish Rugby to the club.

It will provide a further professional rugby environment for identified players and coaches, as well as benefitting their personal and professional development.

Selected pro-team, BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy and Scottish age-grade players will be based at the Richmond Athletic Ground and available to London Scottish for English Championship and B&I Cup fixtures.

Scottish Rugby's Head of International Age-Grade Rugby, Sean Lineen, has taken up the role of Director of Rugby on a part-time basis to lead the on-field direction of the performance programme and support current London Scottish Head Coach, Peter Richards.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next