The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prince passes away

+3
JuliusHMarx
Bull
Adam D
7 posters

Go down

Prince passes away Empty Prince passes away

Post by Adam D Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:18 pm

Another day, another 3 celebrity deaths. 

This time it's Prince. 

I really liked Prince and he was the first ever gig I went to. He might have been slightly insane but most musicians are. He made music without compromising to anyone. A sad loss.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Prince passes away Empty Re: Prince passes away

Post by Bull Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:23 pm

R.I.P rose
Another legend, gone to soon! Thoughts with his friends and family at this incredibly difficult time.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:44 pm

F*ck.

I've been a huge Prince fan since the 80s. Saw him live at least 15 times. Got every album, bootlegs etc. Such a huge part of my life the last 30+ years. Absolutely devastated.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:46 pm

I saw him on the "Nude" tour when he was doing his batman stuff. He debuted thieves in the temple. 

One of the best musicians I have ever seen. The way he wailed for about 5 minutes at the end of purple rain was outstanding and something that I will never forget.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:26 pm

Genius is a hugely overused phrase, particularly when someone passes, but in Prince's case it is apt. Brilliant guitarist, fantastic song writer and absolutely ceaseless innovator. Genuinely sad news.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:48 pm

One of the few true icons in music, never rested on his laurels and constantly innovated.

His solo on 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' at a George Harrison tribute concert was sublime, nonchalant genius.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:49 pm

I never knew I could be this upset over someone I didn't know Sad
Just awful. Some many significant memories around his music. I have friends because of Prince. Feeling good? Put some Prince on. Feeling low? Put some Prince on. I can remember buying tickets for concerts, before the internet. I can remember getting LPs on the day they were released. No more. Like part of my life has just died.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:37 pm

When I was at peep school there was a stooge who was a fill in teacher / sports teacher. He was from stoke. Died from a brain haemorrhage shortly after I left. He must have ben 21. He insisted we watched purple rain one Sunday night. That is my memory. Feck prince was good on guitar

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:41 pm

With you Jules old boy. Terribly sad year. My old man is desperately ill now. Makes you wonder if it is worth it

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:03 pm

With you Jules old boy. Terribly sad year. My old man is desperately ill now. Makes you wonder if it is worth it

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:16 am

Hang in their fellas.

Not a fan of Prince by any stretch but appreciate why people will feel his passing. In these days of Swift, Beiber and West, even I'd gladly trade them for the first time I heard "When Doves Cry"

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Hmmmm...so who will gain most from his passing? Well, the record companies will be pretending to mourn and then releasing all that music he was so stubborn with. Someone has just won the Lotto.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:12 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Hang in their fellas.

Not a fan of Prince by any stretch but appreciate why people will feel his passing. In these days of Swift, Beiber and West, even I'd gladly trade them for the first time I heard "When Doves Cry"

Let's not forget though that when Prince was in his prime, the charts were also full of that era's Swifts, Beibers etc. For example; in the year of Purple Rain there was Black Lace with Agadoo!! There was Wham with Wake Me Up Before you Go Go, Shakin' Stevens with A Love worth Waiting For, and Paul McCartney with Pipes of Peace........ Shocked drumroll

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:15 pm

SecretFly wrote:Hmmmm...so who will gain most from his passing?  Well, the record companies will be pretending to mourn and then releasing all that music he was so stubborn with.  Someone has just won the Lotto.

Prince's estate has won the Lotto - by the end he had full control of his music - ownership of his music publishing, copyrights for songwriting, recordings etc. So the record companies shouldn't be able to get too much out of it hopefully, as it won't be up to them what gets released.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:39 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Hmmmm...so who will gain most from his passing?  Well, the record companies will be pretending to mourn and then releasing all that music he was so stubborn with.  Someone has just won the Lotto.

Prince's estate has won the Lotto - by the end he had full control of his music - ownership of his music publishing, copyrights for songwriting, recordings etc. So the record companies shouldn't be able to get too much out of it hopefully, as it won't be up to them what gets released.

Well there is talk that his sister is in line to be the one in control. But whoever it is, they'll be less inclined to be Prince than Prince was (whose stance on HIS work being HIS property was the part I most admired about him). The companies will have an easier time from here on in - regardless of who is in charge. A little nurturing and sweet talking and incentives, and Prince's songs will find their way to areas where he himself would have resisted sending them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down