The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European rugby, the interest just isn't there

+56
englishborn
eirebilly
KiaRose
Dubbelyew L Overate
GunsGerms
doctor_grey
FecklessRogue
David-Douglas
Kingshu
yappysnap
TJ
king_carlos
Intotouch
broadlandboy
R!skysports
profitius
True Raven
XR
TightHEAD
carpet baboon
thebandwagonsociety
asoreleftshoulder
Exiledinborders
Cyril
Sin é
PenfroPete
mikey_dragon
rodders
munkian
Pot Hale
quinsforever
VinceWLB
Fanster
Notch
HammerofThunor
Don Alfonso
Recwatcher16
Luckless Pedestrian
beshocked
SecretFly
The Great Aukster
Rugby Fan
sad_gimp
MarcusHalberstram
LeinsterFan4life
bedfordwelsh
PhilBB
No9
lostinwales
Hazel Sapling
No 7&1/2
Jimpy
LondonTiger
nathan
marty2086
LordDowlais
60 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

European rugby, the interest just isn't there - Page 10 Empty European rugby, the interest just isn't there

Post by LordDowlais Tue 26 Apr 2016, 1:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know I will get a bashing off some quarters on here, but sorry it has to be said, looking at the crowds for the two semi-finals on the weekend, it would seem the interest is not there. The aggregate figure for the two games was a paltry 38,968 people, there was more people than that for the Cardiff Blues V Leicester semi final a few years ago 44,212 turned up that day.

This proves that the greedy club owners have ruined a once prestigious competition, admired by thousands and getting better year on year. Where are all these new massive sponsorship deals ? Where is all this money we are supposed to be swimming in ? 

All I saw on the weekend was empty seats, the future of the European club competition for me looks bleak, dwindling crowds, the same teams ALL the time in the knockout stages, lack of interest, the French already consider their own league a priority, for me something drastic needs to be done as it would seem the writing is on the wall for one of our favourite club competitions, it's sad, as it's been well and truly ruined by the greedy club owners.

Take a read of some of these, you might find them interesting:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2016/04/25/empty-seats-as-saracens-and-racing-92-won-through-must-be-a-wake/
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/much-better-europe-champions-cup-11238143

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

European rugby, the interest just isn't there - Page 10 Empty Re: European rugby, the interest just isn't there

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 11:45 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:And what about the people who didn't have sky but have BT? Could say splitting coverage is actually better overall.

Have you seen how many watch BT? Even the most popular sports competition in Europe can't draw the audiences to it

So you still have the core audience of sky members and the additional (pitiful) audience of BT. Extra it still is.

Who said the BT ones are extra? And when half the games are on BT where do the sky viewers watch?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

European rugby, the interest just isn't there - Page 10 Empty Re: European rugby, the interest just isn't there

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 11:48 am

Some people I'm absolutely sure have BT and don't have Sky, I'm sure you'd accept that. As for the sky watchers, they either don't or they go to a pub etc. Same as people have had to do with football for years. I mean a similar argument could be made about the Heineken Cup, why put it on Sky as it stops people without sky watching.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 29 Apr 2016, 11:50 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:That's about biulding the brand rather than about maintaining interest though.

Without a brand you will not get interest. Marty is right, it is going clean over your head. 

Look, it does not matter to people like us, we love rugby, we will go looking for it. But people who are here nor there with rugby will not, they need it thrust upon them, they need to be made to think, what is all this European rugby I am seeing all the time when these companies are advertising. 

We need people to be made aware. A good sponsor will do all that for you, as they will be peddling their own wares at the same time.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 29 Apr 2016, 11:52 am

LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:That's about biulding the brand rather than about maintaining interest though.

Without a brand you will not get interest. Marty is right, it is going clean over your head. 

Look, it does not matter to people like us, we love rugby, we will go looking for it. But people who are here nor there with rugby will not, they need it thrust upon them, they need to be made to think, what is all this European rugby I am seeing all the time when these companies are advertising. 

We need people to be made aware. A good sponsor will do all that for you, as they will be peddling their own wares at the same time.

No need for these assertions, Lord. We're all friends here - just on the different sides of an argument.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 11:53 am

Something doesn't necessarily go over my head just because I don't agree with you! I don't think there's dwindling crowds in this years semis due to the sponsor.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 11:54 am

Cheers fly, I may be a stubborn git but I understand the arguments!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 12:02 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Some people I'm absolutely sure have BT and don't have Sky, I'm sure you'd accept that. As for the sky watchers, they either don't or they go to a pub etc. Same as people have had to do with football for years. I mean a similar argument could be made about the Heineken Cup, why put it on Sky as it stops people without sky watching.

Given the low numbers for BT they are few and far between, Sky has a bigger reach and even more so next year when they start showing some sport for free. Watching sport in a pub isn't for everyone, especially on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

You think the lower numbers don't matter and screw those who aren't interested but the problem is it makes the competition less valuable to sponsors and broadcasters, meaning they will want to spend less money on it. Less money spent by them is less money for those taking part, if it gets to the point were it is no longer a financial draw for teams why should they want to take part? What will draw the big names from the SH to play?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 29 Apr 2016, 12:11 pm

I'm sure exactly the same comments were made about the move to Sky way back when.

I've already said my preference would be to scrap it anyway. Perhaps it would be better for world rugby if the SH weren't drawn to play in it (of course they really move for the money for it wouldn't make a difference)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 12:14 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:I'm sure exactly the same comments were made about the move to Sky way back when.

I've already said my preference would be to scrap it anyway.  Perhaps it would be better for world rugby if the SH weren't drawn to play in it (of course they really move for the money for it wouldn't make a difference)

There was the issue with Sky and there is a debate over the Pro 12 and Sky but theres an ever bigger issue with two subscriptions services over one.

There are plenty drawn to play in Europe by a different culture and the chance to compete in a strong competition

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 29 Apr 2016, 12:57 pm

i agree that 2 broadcasters is bad. neither wants to pour in more advertising money if the benefit will be diluted. thats why promotion is far lower than when sky had control. its also far lower than BT's promotion of the AP which they control. and AP seems quite popular and thriving currently.

however, the name of the sponsor has no bearing on the success of the tournament. has everyone forgotten that in France they are not allowed to use the work heineken as alcohol companies cant advertise? they called it the H-Cup there and seemed to have no problem loving the competition.

once they pull in a sponsor who can use UK, Ire AND French markets i suspect there will be a big bump in money.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:01 pm

SKY made the HC what it was, just like they made the Ryder Cup into one of the biggest sporting events in the world. Nobody promotes a sporting event like SKY. I'm saying this as someone who doesn't have Sky sports anymore.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:02 pm

marty2086 wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Some people I'm absolutely sure have BT and don't have Sky, I'm sure you'd accept that. As for the sky watchers, they either don't or they go to a pub etc. Same as people have had to do with football for years. I mean a similar argument could be made about the Heineken Cup, why put it on Sky as it stops people without sky watching.

Given the low numbers for BT they are few and far between, Sky has a bigger reach and even more so next year when they start showing some sport for free. Watching sport in a pub isn't for everyone, especially on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

You think the lower numbers don't matter and screw those who aren't interested but the problem is it makes the competition less valuable to sponsors and broadcasters, meaning they will want to spend less money on it. Less money spent by them is less money for those taking part, if it gets to the point were it is no longer a financial draw for teams why should they want to take part? What will draw the big names from the SH to play?

Since a lot of popular sport is on BT now, including ALL the AP rugby, their audience is huge. In fact, its growing and will soon eclipse Sky in terms of viewing numbers for Premiership football alone. I have both Sky & BT Sports and I probably watch more BT than Sky. Sky does have a bigger reach, that is true, but in terms of UK interest, its behind BT for sure.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:08 pm

lets see whether they bring in a big name sponsor for the 16-17 euro cup. i bet they are working hard on it.

it wont be an alcohol company i suspect.

or maybe EU exit is stopping anyone from making this investment for now... Whistle

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:08 pm

EU exit

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm

thats hilarious. when i type in Br exit as one world. the site changes it to EU exit

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:10 pm

EU exit?

Yes please!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:13 pm

you too can have a referendum fly...lol

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:16 pm

I wish, quins.

But of course I feel the majority of my fellow countrymen have a much nicer opinion of the folks in Brussels than I.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:23 pm

Jimpy wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Since a lot of popular sport is on BT now, including ALL the AP rugby, their audience is huge. In fact, its growing and will soon eclipse Sky in terms of viewing numbers for Premiership football alone. I have both Sky & BT Sports and I probably watch more BT than Sky. Sky does have a bigger reach, that is true, but in terms of UK interest, its behind BT for sure.

So you are basing that on nothing more than the fact that you watch more BT than Sky? Erm

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:29 pm

I much prefer BT to sky....
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:31 pm

BT are clearly viewed as co-pantomime villains alongside PRL, responsible for bringing about the death of the good old Heineken Cup.

objectively though, the match coverage at BT is a big improvement.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:32 pm

quinsforever wrote:BT are clearly viewed as co-pantomime villains alongside PRL, responsible for bringing about the death of the good old Heineken Cup.

picard

Or maybe Sky bring in twice the viewers BT do

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:33 pm

And BBC would bring more still.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:35 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:And BBC would bring more still.

And?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:36 pm

quinsforever wrote:BT are clearly viewed as co-pantomime villains alongside PRL, responsible for bringing about the death of the good old Heineken Cup.

To say Craig Doyle is an improvement on anything is... well it's closing on being criminal....
Do not repeat such a claim or you have a visit from the police.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:37 pm

BBC coverage is awful. Inverdale makes my skin crawl.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:38 pm

This is like watching a horse race.  BT ahead by a bridle at the moment but SKY hanging in there with a heavy jokey (jockey even!) holding him back.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:40 pm

Just saying if the point is getting the most viewers, give the games to the BBC.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:40 pm

if barnes and inverdale work together we could probably kill rugby as a sport altogether...lol

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:41 pm

Still prefer Doyle to Barnes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:42 pm

Throw in Austin Healey.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:42 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Just saying if the point is getting the most viewers, give the games to the BBC.

Sure why not just let people into the games for free too Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:42 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Just saying if the point is getting the most viewers, give the games to the BBC.

They'd have to be given them because they certainly couldn't afford them in todays up-up-and-away inflated prices for sports delivery

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:43 pm

munkian wrote:Still prefer Doyle to Barnes

Should be allowed to do bets on whose name Barnes will get wrong, its every game

Along with which story from his playing days he will tell

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:45 pm

Barnes at least knows what he's talking about...Doyle is just a curtain dressing fan off the street, speaking what his autocue wants him to say. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:48 pm

marty2086 wrote:

So sell it to BT for more money and less viewers.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:49 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Barnes at least knows what he's talking about...Doyle is just a curtain dressing fan off the street, speaking what his autocue wants him to say. Wink

How many times a game do you hear Barnes declare a decision wrong then turn around and say it was right?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:50 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

So sell it to BT for more money and less viewers.

Yeah because its that easy

Why do you think UEFA want to end their contract with BT?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:53 pm

So Sky is the baby bears bed for you then. Not too few viewers, just enough money.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:57 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:So Sky is the baby bears bed for you then. Not too few viewers, just enough money.

Its a balancing act, the number of viewers affects the sponsorship as the les eyes there are on the product the less value it has

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 29 Apr 2016, 1:59 pm

marty2086 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

How many times a game do you hear Barnes declare a decision wrong then turn around and say it was right?

As many times as any of the rest of them?  

Maybe he's just being honest in not keeping to an opinion just because he uttered it a few moments ago.  If he sees it again and reads it differently???.... he can change his mind.  

It's the stamp-of-authority guys you gotta watch out for - the tut tutters - "oh I think the ref got that wrong" - proof that he didn't appears - "Yeah, well that's only five angles.... didn't we see that first angle that hasn't been put up there that distinctly shows???.... like, I know I saw an angle that would call that judgement wrong."

Anyway, we all make mistakes.  Barnes - a degree of passion.  Doyle - "where's me foundation? I think me nose was too shiny in that last take." Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 2:03 pm

I don't mind Doyle, I think he asks decent questions and challenges the pundits at times when they offer their opinion which is better than some who just nod their head in agreement regardless of what was said

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 29 Apr 2016, 2:11 pm

marty2086 wrote:I don't mind Doyle, I think he asks decent questions and challenges the pundits at times when they offer their opinion which is better than some who just nod their head in agreement regardless of what was said

Well it's just individual tastes. I'm of course over-doing the descriptions of him for effect Wink But I've never warmed to Doyle in any of his guises. There is just something..... he just doesn't have it for me.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 29 Apr 2016, 2:23 pm

What extra money has BT put into the comp?

If Pro12 is only getting what it did previously, where has the extra money gone, and how much?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 29 Apr 2016, 2:25 pm

english clubs and french clubs are getting more money

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 29 Apr 2016, 2:26 pm

but still less than pro12. but the gaps a lot narrower than it was

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 29 Apr 2016, 2:27 pm

Pot Hale wrote:What extra money has BT put into the comp?

If Pro12 is only getting what it did previously, where has the extra money gone, and how much?

*touching our noses*
Now, now! Let's not be poking into the private affairs of others.....
....after all, we didn't pry into your little show over there in the Pro12 land now............... did we?.................................

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 29 Apr 2016, 2:35 pm

quinsforever wrote:but still less than pro12. but the gaps a lot narrower than it was

Well the amount of money is decreasing for the Irish teams, according to their annual accounts.

How do you know that English & French clubs got more? How much is more since you say it is less than PRO12?

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 29 Apr 2016, 2:41 pm

SecretFly wrote:
marty2086 wrote:I don't mind Doyle, I think he asks decent questions and challenges the pundits at times when they offer their opinion which is better than some who just nod their head in agreement regardless of what was said

Well it's just individual tastes.  I'm of course over-doing the descriptions of him for effect Wink  But I've never warmed to Doyle in any of his guises.  There is just something..... he just doesn't have it for me.

Maybe just trying hard to suppress something there kiss Hug

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 29 Apr 2016, 2:43 pm

quinsforever wrote:english clubs and french clubs are getting more money

I'd love to know what the breakdown between the games for the Aviva Premiership and HCup that BT splashed the cash on.

I'd say it was significant because they were very willing to spend considerable sums of money on the sponsorship in Scotland and Wales - i.e., 6 new sponsorships of PRO12 teams and that was just after they declined to tender for the PRO12 media rights Whistle
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next