The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rome Masters 2016

+31
sportslover
temporary21
Mad for Chelsea
Nadal-Rocks9
Fuuk-a-d0g-Temp
Temp-suucks-d1ick
Josiah Maiestas
Jermaine2015
Belovedluckyboy
socal1976
Henman Bill
slashermcguirk
erictheblueuk
CaledonianCraig
It Must Be Love
Haddie-nuff
HM Murdock
barrystar
kingraf
JuliusHMarx
Jahu
LuvSports!
bogbrush
monty junior
sirfredperry
banbrotam
lydian
TRuffin
summerblues
Born Slippy
laverfan
35 posters

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Rome Masters 2016 - Page 4 Empty Rome Masters 2016

Post by laverfan Sat 07 May 2016, 3:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

What a draw!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/scores/current/rome/416/draws

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Rome Masters 2016 - Page 4 Empty Re: Rome Masters 2016

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 6:12 pm

lydian wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Somewhere lydian is telling kids to give up on the Nadal FH and embrace the Murray FH.
Never!!!

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 13 May 2016, 6:13 pm

That was a great match, shame about the 4-5 set points that Nadal couldn't take but he didn't do much wrong though.
There was hardly anything between them today...Nadal can take a lot of heart from this.

The key today for Nadal was not running around his BH anymore, he's hitting through it more and this is important for the future so he doesn't create huge gaps like he used to do. RG should be interesting...and I imagine Nadal will be fired up for it too.

Agree in that I don't like Djokovic's celebrations after key points, there is a hint of arrogance creeping in.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 6:13 pm

lydian wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Somewhere lydian is telling kids to give up on the Nadal FH and embrace the Murray FH.
Never!!!
Some people claim Murray lacks strength behind the forehand.
Others claim Murray lacks strength behind the forehead.
And they both may be right.

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 13 May 2016, 6:14 pm

Haha Nore...like it.
Plenty of strength in the forearm though.
Please don't use any more words with "fore..." in though!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 13 May 2016, 6:16 pm

Also, would have been very interesting to see a 3rd set today...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 6:17 pm

lydian wrote:Haha Nore...like it.
I won't mention the ball toss neither - I'll be on my best behaviour Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 13 May 2016, 6:37 pm

Lydian. Djoko, praps not to everyone's taste, has a lot to be arrogant about. Sounds like a cracking match but not sure if Rafa can really take much from it, as it's another straight-sets defeat, the seventh in a row, although it's possible he was hindered by injury.
The big problem over the last few months for Rafa has not so much been Djoko but Stan, in that The Man's RG 2015 points have stayed up there, thus pushing Rafa down to number five and leading to possible q-final match ups with Djoko.
Can't see Stan winning RG this year or even going deep so at least Rafa will get back into the top four.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 13 May 2016, 6:45 pm

Well that was a tremendous match for Novak and Nadal. Nadal is back to where he is a real top threat at RG. I don't know about the positivity patrol on here. I think it is pretty amusing these tennis fans who didn't even mention that remarkable set point that will be shown on every highlight reel on all the sportscasts; but as usual the positivity police missed it. Quite frankly one of the best points I have ever seen on set point with ridiculous play that ended with both guys cutting at thrusting at net. Maybe one of the positivity guys could have managed a "nice point" in there along with all their usual moaning and running down the game.

Incredible baseline tennis play, I still believe nothing compares to the levels of baseline play we saw from the two throughout their epic back forth rivalry in 2011-2013, but this was top notch stuff two greatest baseliners of all time playing you would think some people could appreciate it.  

PS I love the positivity brigade knocking Novak for being arrogant. The more Novak wins I predict the more robotic he gets, the more arrogant he gets, the more suspicious of doping he gets, etc. just plug in. The guy spent so much time with the kids after the match, he hugged a couple of young fans and gave them a racquet the kid looked like he won the title he was so overjoyed. The guy is probably on the lower end of the spectrum for tennis greats past and present as far as arrogance goes.

If you didn't like the shots and talents of these two players today and can't find anything nice to say, I really do suggest you may need to take up cribbage or become a furry or something and give up on watching tennis.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 13 May 2016, 6:51 pm

I think one thing people are losing perspective on is that this is Nadal's favorite surface and he has been playing well, Novak was crap in the first set. Nadal somehow losing that first set when he is playing really great with surface and wind in his favor if anything shows the gulf that still exists. Yes it is narrower because Nadal is playing very well, clearly he is the second most in form guy this clay court season. If the shoe was on the other foot and Nadal started as bad as Djokovic and Djokovic started as hot as Nadal that first set would have been 6-1 or 6-2 Novak. When Nadal is playing well and on his favorite surface and Djokovic is misfiring he still couldn't go up double break to make it safe.

Novak knows he will get more opportunities on Nadal's serve than Nadal will have on his, even on his worst day and for the first half our or so he was awful, and Nadal was playing well. If anything while their is a positive that Nadal is close at this stage it is worrying he still wasn't able to turn a set with all these things going in his favor.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 13 May 2016, 6:53 pm

lydian wrote:Haha Nore...like it.

That would be malice aforethought.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 13 May 2016, 6:55 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote: There is a smug defiant demeanour about Djokovic. Makes me want to punch that blockhead! 
lydian wrote:Agree in that I don't like Djokovic's celebrations after key points, there is a hint of arrogance creeping in.
Good. The more animated the better as far as I'm concerned.

He never has the support of the crowd, so the best response is to keep on beating their favourites and keep on loving that he is able to do so.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 13 May 2016, 7:01 pm

Djokovic is on another level to him. He will bury him again at RG if they end up meeting, whether in final or before.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 13 May 2016, 7:18 pm

HM Murdock wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote: There is a smug defiant demeanour about Djokovic. Makes me want to punch that blockhead! 
lydian wrote:Agree in that I don't like Djokovic's celebrations after key points, there is a hint of arrogance creeping in.

He never has the support of the crowd, so the best response is to keep on beating their favourites and keep on loving that he is able to do so.
Yeah like these guys who have never given him a fair shake liked him when he was supposedly less arrogant you know when he was losing to Roger and Rafa. Novak is not a villain but a lot of people will find reasons to vilify him despite what is his general exemplary conduct. In their eyes he will always be the usurper.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 7:22 pm

HM Murdock wrote:

I was actually jesting, but there was a point in the second when he broke back and there was a raise of the fist and a like a wry aknowlegement  that he had him and I was thinking if I was the other side of the net, that would've put the wind in my sails.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 7:28 pm

The exceptional player will do just enough to win, with the knowledge they have a few more gears to access.  This is needed to physically and mentally survive a tournament, this is needed to physically and mentally survive a full season, this is needed to maximise the remaining years left in ones elite level athletic career.

The problem with Nadal in the past is that he always seemed to have one level - which was set at maximum.  Minor tournaments and major tournaments - he always seemed to play at full intensity.  It seemed like madness as many were predicting he would wear out his body early ... and he has.  It was admirable to watch but it seemed a little foolhardy.  One gets the impression he could have had a better career on the grass and hardcourts if he had just managed his effort better.  That said he has achieved a tremendous amount in his career and has demonstrated he was the best clay court tennis player the world has yet to see.  That said Djokovic built up a hard court game that was just better than Nadal.

Last edited by Nore Staat on Fri 13 May 2016, 7:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 13 May 2016, 7:33 pm

I've said it before, and I've been wrong before, but I'm leaning towards a Djokovic win at RG.

The matchup tends to go with the form, and the form is pointing to a Djokovic win.

Monte Carlo: Thiem and Wawrinka in straights, but Nadal took 3 sets to beat both Murray and Monfils. Djokovic lost early, but probably didn't mind after having played a lot of matches earlier in the season and not wanting to burn out before the FO, he arguably needed an early round defeat in one tournament otherwise he might have had to skip Madrid again anyway.

Yes Rafa won Barcelona, but only beating Granollers, Montanes, Fognini, Kohlschrieber and Nishikori.

Madrid - Rafa loses to Murray, Djokovic wins tournament.

Rome - Djokovic beats Nadal.

So Djokovic will go into the FO with 3 or 4 masters this season, and a slam vs Rafa with 1 masters.

I make that 7 wins in a row in the head to head as well.

Rafa is better than last year, but not back to best.

There are a couple of doubts for Novak though. Firstly, mental demons at Paris, and secondly the slower surface than some other clay tournaments making it easier for Rafa (his one win in the last 10 was at RG 2014).

That's why, if they play, I think it will be competitive, more so than last year, and if it's very close, e.g. 5-5 in the 5th set, Rafa definitely has a chance. However I can see them playing, perhaps in the final this year, and Djokovic winning in a tight 4th set or a not so tight 5th.

One crumb of comfort is going to be that Novak's dominance, and streaks of victories over Rafa, have always been at best of 3 level, at masters. At slams it's never happened. Nadal is losing the H2H 23-26 but it's slams it's 9-4 in his favour. From the start of 2011 onwards it's 4-4 in slams and probably very heavily in Djokovic's favour in the masters.

Rafa managed to beat Novak at RG in 2013 and 2014 despite Novak winning a clay masters with a direct win against Rafa in each of those seasons, just like this year. Still, I don't think these signs are quite enough this time.

Murray is definitely in there, but I think he is only 3rd favourite and I can't believe he'll really do it.

Nishikori and others (Thiem?) have to be in the mix, but this year at least I can't see them beating Djokovic in a best of 5.

Or Rafa. Rafa seems to be playing well enough not to lose to anyone else but Novak. Let's hope they are drawn on opposite sides this time.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 13 May 2016, 7:35 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
HM Murdock wrote:

I was actually jesting, but there was a point in the second when he broke back and there was a raise of the fist and a like a wry aknowlegement  that he had him and I was thinking if I was the other side of the net, that would've put the wind in my sails.
Yeah, I know you are not anti-Novak, so I assumed you were half-joking.

But if someone neutral toward Novak can get a bit irked by him being cocky, imagine the effect it has on some of the more partisan crowd!

For the record, I have no problem at all with a crowd supporting Novak's opponent. You pay your money, you make your choice! But I'm really pleased that Novak appears to be less needy these days and isn't pandering to crowds.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 13 May 2016, 7:40 pm

Socal, Novak played fine in the first set, stop trying to elevate him to godlike status. It was a cracking match and kudos to both of them for playing what felt like the final today.
I'm not trying to "vilify" the guy (you do go OTT at times...), so stop telling us all what we're trying to do with our comments. It's more personal opinion on the way he celebrates at times but it doesn't detract from what was a great performance. I'm very happy to hold up my hands and say he's playing a level that's hard to compete with right now. But Nadal was much better today than previous few matches, enough to put a ? in Djokovic's mind I reckon for RG rather than simply assuming the W.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 13 May 2016, 7:45 pm

Nore, I can't really agree with that post because you're alluding that Novak plays with several gears in check (trust me he had to be in top gear today...as was Nadal...maybe not at full speed in that gear but I don't believe both guys can bring much more to a court).
Also, Nadal only knows one way of playing - full intensity. And it's made him one of the best players in the history of the game. That makes him truly exceptional. Nadals way is not to leave anything in the locker room. He plays at his best effort level every match...because to leave gears spare is a risky strategy.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 13 May 2016, 7:48 pm

Henman Bill wrote:I've said it before, and I've been wrong before, but I'm leaning towards a Djokovic win at RG.

The matchup tends to go with the form, and the form is pointing to a Djokovic win.

Monte Carlo: Thiem and Wawrinka in straights, but Nadal took 3 sets to beat both Murray and Monfils. Djokovic lost early, but probably didn't mind after having played a lot of matches earlier in the season and not wanting to burn out before the FO, he arguably needed an early round defeat in one tournament otherwise he might have had to skip Madrid again anyway.

Yes Rafa won Barcelona, but only beating Granollers, Montanes, Fognini, Kohlschrieber and Nishikori.

Madrid - Rafa loses to Murray, Djokovic wins tournament.

Rome - Djokovic beats Nadal.

So Djokovic will go into the FO with 3 or 4 masters this season, and a slam vs Rafa with 1 masters.

I make that 7 wins in a row in the head to head as well.

Rafa is better than last year, but not back to best.

There are a couple of doubts for Novak though. Firstly, mental demons at Paris, and secondly the slower surface than some other clay tournaments making it easier for Rafa (his one win in the last 10 was at RG 2014).

That's why, if they play, I think it will be competitive, more so than last year, and if it's very close, e.g. 5-5 in the 5th set, Rafa definitely has a chance. However I can see them playing, perhaps in the final this year, and Djokovic winning in a tight 4th set or a not so tight 5th.

One crumb of comfort is going to be that Novak's dominance, and streaks of victories over Rafa, have always been at best of 3 level, at masters. At slams it's never happened. Nadal is losing the H2H 23-26 but it's slams it's 9-4 in his favour. From the start of 2011 onwards it's 4-4 in slams and probably very heavily in Djokovic's favour in the masters.

Rafa managed to beat Novak at RG in 2013 and 2014 despite Novak winning a clay masters with a direct win against Rafa in each of those seasons, just like this year. Still, I don't think these signs are quite enough this time.

Murray is definitely in there, but I think he is only 3rd favourite and I can't believe he'll really do it.

Nishikori and others (Thiem?) have to be in the mix, but this year at least I can't see them beating Djokovic in a best of 5.

Or Rafa. Rafa seems to be playing well enough not to lose to anyone else but Novak. Let's hope they are drawn on opposite sides this time.
Knowing the FO look for Novak to play Rafa in the quarters in the last match of the day and then to be first up in the next round. That is basically how they roll they have to save the cupcakes for Roger. 

I think wawrinka can still get hot to him he knows he is the guy who can peak and take out the top guys he just can't do it as easily as the top guys can week in and week out. I think kei, thiem, goffin, Rafa, Stan, and Andy are players that if Novak isn't firing against that can beat him at RG. Thiem is a real threat he has huge weight of shot in all areas of the game and can move incredibly well.

I do think it was important for Novak to blunt Nadal's confidence and maintain his own voodoo of everyone else. Even against the six guys I listed that on their day can take Novak out on clay, I still believe Novak to be at worst a two to one favorite against any of them if he is playing his usual level.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 13 May 2016, 7:48 pm

All fair enough HB, but don't forget that either play could get knocked out before meeting each other...eg like Fed avoiding Rafa at RG09.
If Nadal is 5th seed then they could meet in quarters also.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 7:51 pm

HM Murdock wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
HM Murdock wrote:

Yeah, I know you are not anti-Novak, so I assumed you were half-joking.

But if someone neutral toward Novak can get a bit irked by him being cocky, imagine the effect it has on some of the more partisan crowd!

For the record, I have no problem at all with a crowd supporting Novak's opponent. You pay your money, you make your choice! But I'm really pleased that Novak appears to be less needy these days and isn't pandering to crowds.

There was a defiance in that gesture. Like he had silenced the crowd and had Nadal for the taking. I admire the confidence of being able to do that at such a crucial point in the set and go and take it. I have to say if I was faced with that I know a rocket would be up my rear wanting knock that smirk of his face!

I would imagine partisan fans would be chomping at the bit. However, I was with Novak when he done it because I was like "he's right you know. He's got him"

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 13 May 2016, 7:54 pm

Novak needs to stop playing the plucky baby face... The fans have rejected it. They should just turn him heel already, giving him some arrogant celebrations is a nice start.

In seriousness they was clearly enough here to give both guys some real confidence. RG is bubbling nicely to the boil, so long as I jury doesn't affect it. I want to see these two spar again,,, quite a feat given they've played 50 times

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 7:57 pm

I have one word to describe Djokovic - elastic. You stretch him and he becomes more difficult to beat.

His key advantage on the hardcourts IMO is his movement - in particular the way he slides on the surface on the edge of his trainers. Once that goes - the rest will go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 8:01 pm

A philosophical thought on arrogance.

If you beat someone with arrogance that will spur the beaten opponent to work at his/her shortcomings and try harder the next time.
But if you lose to someone arrogantly - what then?
That is why I always lose arrogantly.

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 13 May 2016, 8:02 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:There was a defiance in that gesture. Like he had silenced the crowd and had Nadal for the taking. I admire the confidence of being able to do that at such a crucial point in the set and go and take it.
IMO, this is something else that has developed under Becker's coaching. He plays to silence the crowd rather than win them over.

It's not a huge change in practice but it's a big change in mindset.

In response to people's comments assessing Novak's RG chances, take it from me: predicting Novak's RG from the rest of Novak's clay season is a fool's errand!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 8:06 pm

HM Murdock wrote:... In response to people's comments assessing Novak's RG chances, take it from me: predicting Novak's RG from the rest of Novak's clay season is a fool's errand!
True ... but it is better to give a fool an errand, than to leave them to their own devices.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 13 May 2016, 9:13 pm

Djoke ain't wining the RG this year, as usual by the time RG gets into second week, Djoko is tired from clay wins of unimportant tournaments like MC, Madrid, Rome, and is prone to being blown out of the court by a big hitter.

Wake up Thiem!! btw shook his hand last summer at a shopping center in Graz, very simple guy, goes shopping with his mom thumbsup
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 9:19 pm

Big hold for Thiem there. C'mon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 9:25 pm

Nishi calling an MTO. Someone put a giant band aid on him!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 13 May 2016, 9:27 pm

I hate it when a young gun beats any of the top 4-5 and next match melts totally.

Too carried away I guess after you beat a top one.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 13 May 2016, 9:32 pm

lydian wrote:Socal, Novak played fine in the first set, stop trying to elevate him to godlike status. It was a cracking match and kudos to both of them for playing what felt like the final today.
I'm not trying to "vilify" the guy (you do go OTT at times...), so stop telling us all what we're trying to do with our comments. It's more personal opinion on the way he celebrates at times but it doesn't detract from what was a great performance. I'm very happy to hold up my hands and say he's playing a level that's hard to compete with right now. But Nadal was much better today than previous few matches, enough to put a ? in Djokovic's mind I reckon for RG rather than simply assuming the W.
Not over the top at all just proves my point that even great shots or matches just fail to excite those determined to talk him down and the tour as a whole. You can bet your bottom dollar that many of those complaining today would go nuts if fed won a set with a set point like that. But if Novak does it doesn't even register a nice shot from any of the whoa is tennis crowd. Who said he is a god, none of my comments would be deemed over the top in analyzing the world number 1. I just don't see relentless negativity and cynicism as being the same thing as intelligent commentary. If fed played that set point the whoa is tennis crowd would be fighting over themselves creaming their shorts. It's just one of many reasons I am starting to not take them seriously

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 9:35 pm

Thiem really looking to be the aggressor and shorten the points.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 9:43 pm

Thiem gets broken. Shame he has such a slow serve.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 May 2016, 9:51 pm

Nishi beats Thiem in 2. Pity. Thiem not the finished article. Get some more mph on that serve and he'll be a handful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 13 May 2016, 10:03 pm

It would be utterly boring if Novak hammered Kneedal today 6-2 6-3. Boris has told him not to humiliate his biggest all time rival and make it look like it's close.

Another slamless RG is coming for the moonballer.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 14 May 2016, 2:05 am

The Djokovic-Nadal match was pretty good. Some exhausting lung-busters as well. Djokovic looks good as of now to complete the Career Slam, and perhaps a CYGS dream is still alive.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 14 May 2016, 2:07 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:It would be utterly boring if Novak hammered Kneedal today 6-2 6-3. Boris has told him not to humiliate his biggest all time rival and make it look like it's close.

Another slamless RG is coming for the moonballer.
Classic wummery, I love it JM. Even like the use of moonballer and kneedal; good show.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 14 May 2016, 2:14 am

I really love thiem' driven kick serve, it's a 3/4 velocity ball with heavy action and a little less margin than the traditional kick second serve. Something between a flatter first serve and the big nasty shaped kick serve. I would rarely flat it out on my serve that often if I had a good kick slice, a driven kick, or big kicker like thiem I would use the flat and the traditional slice less often. He still needs those ace serves to get better but the various kick serves give him a lot of variety in itself.

His volleying is atrocious for a guy with a one hander. Also needs to improve that

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 14 May 2016, 2:34 am

Let us not forget Pouille, the LL, and a new face.

Thiem has improved, and is shaping up well. Next year will be a lot better. Kyrgios is doing well. Good to see Zverev. Young blood is breaking through. Glad to see it.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 14 May 2016, 7:03 am

socal1976 wrote:
lydian wrote:Socal, Novak played fine in the first set, stop trying to elevate him to godlike status. It was a cracking match and kudos to both of them for playing what felt like the final today.
Not over the top at all just proves my point that even great shots or matches just fail to excite those determined to talk him down and the tour as a whole. You can bet your bottom dollar that many of those complaining today would go nuts if fed won a set with a set point like that. But if Novak does it doesn't even register a nice shot from any of the whoa is tennis crowd. Who said he is a god, none of my comments would be deemed over the top in analyzing the world number 1. I just don't see relentless negativity and cynicism as being the same thing as intelligent commentary. If fed played that set point the whoa is tennis crowd would be fighting over themselves creaming their shorts. It's just one of many reasons I am starting to not take them seriously

OMG is there no end to it....please tell me this is a wind up. Erm

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 May 2016, 7:15 am

Don't see why there is this aspiration for Novak to get the same adulation as Federer. Simply not going to happen and by pointing it out at every turn is going to make it less happen. A fan of any player could say the exact same thing about a shot made by their favourite player isn't rewarded with Federeresq fawning.

HM has the right approach in not a care in the world for what the crowd or posters think of Djokovic and supports the anti-establishment approach.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 May 2016, 7:43 am

In general people respond differently to what they perceive to be an artiste and what they perceive to be a machine / an industrial unit of high productivity, n'est-ce pas? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 14 May 2016, 7:55 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

OMG is there no end to it....please tell me this is a wind up. Erm

I don't know are you trying to wind me up with your post because its kind of working to the extent that I haven't developed a tolerance over the years.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 May 2016, 8:07 am

What attracts me to tennis as a spectator sport is the drama.  Each tennis match is potentially a drama, a battle of wills, a battle of techniques, a battle of physical strength and endurance, a tactical battle, a strategic battle (part of an ongoing H2H struggle), a battle of skill, a battle of styles, and so forth.

Last edited by Nore Staat on Sat 14 May 2016, 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 14 May 2016, 8:07 am

Yes I think we can all vouch for that

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 14 May 2016, 8:39 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:Don't see why there is this aspiration for Novak to get the same adulation as Federer. Simply not going to happen and by pointing it out at every turn is going to make it less happen. A fan of any player could say the exact same thing about a shot made by their favourite player isn't rewarded with Federeresq fawning.

HM has the right approach in not a care in the world for what the crowd or posters think of Djokovic and supports the anti-establishment approach.
Well I don't really care if you guys grotesquely fawn over a great Djokovic shot like this and other forums do for fed shots. If the fawning of others influenced my decision of who I support why should I not just become a Roger fan instead of Djokovic of all people? I just like to point out the hypocrisy of many on this site who feel that crapping on the modern tour and the world number relentlessly because of the lack of excitement are full of it. I mean two and a half hours of that match and no one at some point in the match thread stopped to compliment a point or a shot, I mean they can't break their never ending campaign of announcing to everyone how bored they are uninspiring everything is as they are STILL watching and still commenting. I mean not a single atta boy for either player throughout a great match by probably the two greatest baseliners ever.

I mean pseudo critiques like my favorite the players are "too fit" or your favorite "I wish star players would have
 shorter careers like the old days". This example is just a useful exercise to show  how silly and hypocritical the whoa is tennis brigade truly is. I am convinced that on match point for the calendar slam Djokovic drops his racquet and does a bicycle kick volley of 135 mile an hour serve right on the line for a winner you and the rest of positivity police will still find away to be bored and to tell everyone about it. Just recently I had an epiphany as to why these formulaic complaints were so popular. I figured it out, if you have nothing new, original, or informative to say then simply being cynical and negative gives the critic the appearance of being discerning, when in actuality said critic just doesn't have anything to say and this is just their way of getting affirmation from the rest of the moaner brigade. Same as when Hollywood does the same damn superman movie 53 times, they have nothing to say and no ideas so they'll just trot out their tired formulas to gain the affirmation of the group.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 14 May 2016, 8:57 am

Yep that's what draws us fans in.
Thiem is good - and always known as a prospect - but he's nowhere near the 2nd coming of Fed, Nad etc. For example, I think Goffin is more talented. We're still waiting for the next future tier 1 player to arrive.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 14 May 2016, 8:58 am

Give it a rest socal...stop trying to label and pigeon hole everyone into for or against. Your modus operandi seems to be divide and conquer. Lighten up.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 14 May 2016, 9:06 am

lydian wrote:Give it a rest socal...stop trying to label and pigeon hole everyone into for or against. Your modus operandi seems to be divide and conquer. Lighten up.

clap Very Happy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next