The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PRO12 Play Off 1: Leinster v Ulster, 20 May

+23
profitius
eirebilly
Don Alfonso
the-goon
rapidsnowman
clivemcl
Engine#4
marty2086
rodders
Rory_Gallagher
Kingshu
Hazel Sapling
Senlac
thebandwagonsociety
Pete330v2
Notch
Pot Hale
SecretFly
The Great Aukster
St John The Enforcer
asoreleftshoulder
LondonTiger
George Carlin
27 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PRO12 Play Off 1: Leinster v Ulster, 20 May Empty PRO12 Play Off 1: Leinster v Ulster, 20 May

Post by George Carlin Sun 08 May 2016, 7:30 am

PRO12 Play Off 1: Leinster v Ulster, 20 May Leinst11            PRO12 Play Off 1: Leinster v Ulster, 20 May Ulster13
Leinster Rugby v Ulster Rugby
Friday 20 May 2016
KO: 19:45
RDS Arena, Dublin

Referee: Ian Davies (WRU, 48th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Ben Whitehouse, Sean Brickell (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: John Cole (IRFU)
TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)

Live on Sky Sports/TG4 and BBC Sport NI

A. Head to Head

30 Played 30
22 Wins 6
6 Losses 22
2 Draws 2
614 Points 439

B. Form

Ulster Rugby 30 - 6 Leinster Rugby
30th April 2016

Leinster Rugby 8 - 3 Ulster Rugby
27th November 2015

Ulster Rugby 26 - 10 Leinster Rugby
24th April 2015

Leinster Rugby 24 - 11 Ulster Rugby
3rd January 2015

C. Teams

Leinster Rugby 
PRO12 Play Off 1: Leinster v Ulster, 20 May Leo-cu10
I Nacewa (c); D Kearney, G Ringrose, B Te'o, L Fitzgerald; J Sexton, E Reddan J McGrath, R Strauss, M Ross, D Toner, M Kearney, R Ruddock, J Murphy, J Heaslip.

Replacements: S Cronin, P Dooley, T Furlong, R Molony, J Conan, L McGrath, I Madigan, Z Kirchner.

Ulster Rugby
PRO12 Play Off 1: Leinster v Ulster, 20 May Neildo10
J Payne; A Trimble, L Marshall, S McCloskey, C Gilroy; P Jackson, R Pienaar; C Black, R Best (c), R Lutton, P Browne, F van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Henry, S Reidy.

Replacements: R Herring, K McCall, A Warwick, R Diack, R Wilson, P Marshall, S Olding, D Cave.

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 20 May 2016, 8:06 pm; edited 6 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

PRO12 Play Off 1: Leinster v Ulster, 20 May Empty Re: PRO12 Play Off 1: Leinster v Ulster, 20 May

Post by LondonTiger Sun 08 May 2016, 8:38 am

Wow, that is a pretty one-sided head to head record. What does it cover?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

PRO12 Play Off 1: Leinster v Ulster, 20 May Empty Re: PRO12 Play Off 1: Leinster v Ulster, 20 May

Post by George Carlin Sun 08 May 2016, 9:22 am

LondonTiger wrote:Wow, that is a pretty one-sided head to head record. What does it cover?
All professional franchise meetings between these two sides (in their historical and currently recognisable forms) in the celtic league.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 08 May 2016, 9:43 am

George Carlin wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Wow, that is a pretty one-sided head to head record. What does it cover?
All professional franchise meetings between these two sides (in their historical and currently recognisable forms) in the celtic league.

OK, thanks. Any idea how many times Ulster have won in Dublin?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 08 May 2016, 3:12 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

OK, thanks. Any idea how many times Ulster have won in Dublin?
I don't, but I'm sure a lot of my paddy brethren will either know the answer or confidently invent some vaguely plausible statistic on the spot.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 08 May 2016, 6:50 pm

I think it might be one win in Dublin for Ulster not 100% sure on that.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by St John The Enforcer Sun 08 May 2016, 7:09 pm

Both draws were in Ravenhil 06 and 07 I was at both.

The only Ulster win in Dublin this millennium was in a league game in March 2013. 2 months before we beat them in the final.

St John The Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by St John The Enforcer Sun 08 May 2016, 7:11 pm

In fact it was the only win anywhere outside ravenhill this millennium.

Also no away team has ever won a semi final in the pro 12.

This might be the year.

St John The Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 08 May 2016, 8:18 pm

St John The Enforcer wrote:In fact it was the only win anywhere outside ravenhill this millennium.

This might be the year.
I think that this is the year in which it happens in both semi finals...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 08 May 2016, 8:21 pm

I don't

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 08 May 2016, 8:29 pm

George Carlin wrote:
St John The Enforcer wrote:In fact it was the only win anywhere outside ravenhill this millennium.

This might be the year.
I think that this is the year in which it happens in both semi finals...

Oh so yis all just want to throw tradition out the doorway, just like that!? Have you all no respect for keeping things running smoothly without too many upsets?
We've already had the European revolution. Time now for us to settle back into less reactionary times. Time to just accept that Leinster and Connacht home wins are good for the gyme....Cool

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 08 May 2016, 8:31 pm

Ulster are on a roll.
Leinster are a pancake.

Yet somehow, somehow, Leinster managed to top the regular season league.

I'm kinda hoping that Ulster win through because we need a new potential winner in the final.

Hopefully, Connacht can do the business as well, just because a team that has previously finished in 7,10, 8, 8, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 spots deserves to win glory.

Interestingly, 10 years ago, in the 2005-2006 season, Connacht finished 10th out of 11th in the table.   They finished on equal points but one more win than the bottom club - Glasgow.

How times have changed.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 08 May 2016, 9:03 pm

Connacht would be good...for the 'Leicester' story angle.  Plus, I think this might be the closest they come over the next few seasons.  That's not to say I see them going backwards, but there is a lot of talent in this Pro12 (despite the constant complaints) and it's a tough thing to actually win.  So Connacht should really go for this hard.

Glasgow have the recent pedigree and simply have that attitude of Leinster and Munster in their prime - natural born winners.  They have a calm and knowing inner confidence that would suggest they are still favourites for this thing.

Ulster are hitting a rich vein of bloodymindedness right at the right time of the year.  Jackson is as mad as F**K and it looks like he ain't takin' it no more!!!  mad Wink  
He's out to prove a point and he needs more heads on sticks to prove it.... Leinster lads gulping 'cause they knows it's some of them he's sizing up for the chop!

Leinster - playing shyte and still sitting on top!!Shocked Shocked  
Had it been like the old way of first-past-the-post, they'd already be crowned Kings.  They're finding it harder to forget what they once were than Munster, which of course makes them a horse some people will still put money on.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 08 May 2016, 11:04 pm

I believe we can do this, but we have to go out and attack them- no showing them too much respect, no sitting back or kicking the ball away. We run at them and go out to score tries. Our strength is our back line and we want to play 80 minutes with real width and pace at a high-tempo. It's Leinster who'll be relying on slowing the game down and making it scrappy.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 08 May 2016, 11:21 pm

Notch wrote:I believe we can do this, but we have to go out and attack them- no showing them too much respect, no sitting back or kicking the ball away. We run at them and go out to score tries. Our strength is our back line and we want to play 80 minutes with real width and pace at a high-tempo. It's Leinster who'll be relying on slowing the game down and making it scrappy.

Leinster on the other hand will probably go out and defend against Ulster, not showing them any respect by sitting back and kicking the ball.  They will run at Ulster and will definitely try to score tries as they have done in other games.   Their strength is in their players, somewhere, but they'll play for the same amount of time as Ulster will with extra length and depth but no width at a slo-quick-slo medium kind of a pace that will confuse Ulster no end and win the match.  I think.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 09 May 2016, 1:44 pm

Leinster, you are going down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 May 2016, 1:46 pm

They've got three legs in the grave already. Congrats Pete.... it'll be a walkover Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2016, 2:00 pm

I believe Ulster will be the first team to win an away final, and pull the Plug on Leinsters hopes of winning ugly against this handsome Ulster side.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 10 May 2016, 11:37 am

Seems a clear cut win for Ulster. Leinster may as well not turn up. Won the most games in the regular season, lost the least. Conceded 290 points in 22 games. Also scoring on average 1.4 points less than the handsome free running Ulster over the season as well.

Has to be Ulster 8-10 point favourites.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2016, 11:59 am

I was poking fun at Cullen Wink

Indeed, Leinster are a super side. The stats prove it Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 May 2016, 12:25 pm

The meeting of Darth and Luke...it's going to be a blockbuster.... partially filmed in Ireland too!!! Yahoo Yahoo --- with only D4 as the foreign bit.

Sexton: I am your father.
Jackson: No. No! That's not true! That's impossible
Sexton: Search your feelings; you know it to be true!
Jackson: NOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOO!!!

Ignite those sabers!!! Battle commences.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 10 May 2016, 12:49 pm

Nah, it's more like PJ playing Kylo Ren while Sexton is playing Han Solo.

Kind of close as well to the actors playing them. PJ is the up and coming next generation for the franchise. Sexton is a legend and was in some of the biggest displays, unfortunately those displays all happened years ago!

It's a sad scene but one that needs to happen for everybody to move on.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 May 2016, 12:56 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Nah, it's more like PJ playing Kylo Ren while Sexton is playing Han Solo.

Kind of close as well to the actors playing them.  PJ is the up and coming next generation for the franchise.  Sexton is a legend and was in some of the biggest displays, unfortunately those displays all happened years ago!

Oh God...please bandwagon.............. don't. Don't mention Kylo Ren in the same discussion as Darth Vader and Luke.

That sucker is nothing but a Disney Prince with a Darth Vader complex...unnecessary breath mask and all... Laugh

Kylo Ren ain't even in the same Universe as Darth...... cue the Disney song and dance routine:

"I don't want to be bad.....
But if only I didn't have such a sexy dad...
The mirror on the wall said there could only be one...
Does my hair look good in the Sun.......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 10 May 2016, 1:41 pm

SecretFly wrote:
thebandwagonsociety wrote:Nah, it's more like PJ playing Kylo Ren while Sexton is playing Han Solo.

Kind of close as well to the actors playing them.  PJ is the up and coming next generation for the franchise.  Sexton is a legend and was in some of the biggest displays, unfortunately those displays all happened years ago!

Oh God...please bandwagon.............. don't.  Don't mention Kylo Ren in the same discussion as Darth Vader and Luke.

That sucker is nothing but a Disney Prince with a Darth Vader complex...unnecessary breath mask and all... Laugh

Kylo Ren ain't even in the same Universe as Darth......  cue the Disney song and dance routine:

"I don't want to be bad.....
But if only I didn't have such a sexy dad...
The mirror on the wall said there could only be one...
Does my hair look good in the Sun.......

Can someone get a doctor to check Fly's meds? I think he might have finally lost it

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 May 2016, 2:02 pm

Spoken like a true hidden believer in the dastardliness of Kylo Ren.

Sad times for Star Wars fans of yesteryear..... Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 10 May 2016, 9:18 pm

Munchkin wrote:I believe Ulster will be the first team to win an away final, and pull the Plug on Leinsters hopes of winning ugly against this handsome Ulster side.

Leinster have already won an "away" final!

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 10 May 2016, 9:48 pm

SecretFly wrote:Spoken like a true hidden believer in the dastardliness of Kylo Ren.

Sad times for Star Wars fans of yesteryear..... Wink

I think Kylo Ren was interesting because he was this kid who was trying to hard to be something, to live up to something. That was actually one of the things that was interesting and original about the new Star Wars, I quite liked that part.

As of this game, we're not favourites. We still can be beaten up front by a good pack. But Leinster have been consistent without ever looking like they've got past third gear. Consistent enough to win the league, but that form is not going to be enough to win the playoffs. They can win them, but they need to hit fourth or fifth... Because while Glasgow and Ulster had periods of very poor form in the league stage and dropped points, they've also shown really good form and high quality performances that would worry Leinster if they can't get past 60% of what they are capable of. They're always the most disrupted by international rugby and they've hit their straps at this time of year before so I'm certainly not going to start writing them off.

For me, Leinster favourites but under big pressure to have their first really good game of the season. Ulster are underdogs but looking confident and finding some rhythm and some good combinations throughout the team.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2016, 11:45 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
Munchkin wrote:I believe Ulster will be the first team to win an away final, and pull the Plug on Leinsters hopes of winning ugly against this handsome Ulster side.

Oh, yes, when they travelled all the way to meet us at our RDS home ground. How could I forget mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Senlac Tue 10 May 2016, 11:57 pm

As a Glasgow fan, all I'm going to say is...Good Luck Leinster!

Take that how you will! Wink
Senlac
Senlac

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 May 2016, 11:59 pm

Munchkin wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:

Oh, yes, when they travelled all the way to meet us at our RDS home ground. How could I forget mad

Spare a thought for poor Kerry, Cork, Meath, Down, Tyrone...etc, they all have to play every damn All Ireland final in Dublin's Home ground.  And the laugh is they'd all kill you for saying doing so leaves them always at a disadvantage....  
Christ, some kids don't have a brain to keep their ears from falling into their throats: "Don't be telling us we shouldn't have the privilege of playing a final in Croke!!!  You absolute f**k Stick!!!!"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 11 May 2016, 12:01 am

Senlac wrote:As a Glasgow fan, all I'm going to say is...Good Luck Leinster!

Take that how you will! Wink

Hmmmm........................ you're in AWE of the Great and Merciless D4 Army of the Immortals?????? And you want the privilege of being beaten into the ground by them????

Is that what you're getting at??? Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 May 2016, 2:18 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:

Spare a thought for poor Kerry, Cork, Meath, Down, Tyrone...etc, they all have to play every damn All Ireland final in Dublin's Home ground.  And the laugh is they'd all kill you for saying doing so leaves them always at a disadvantage....  
Christ, some kids don't have a brain to keep their ears from falling into their throats: "Don't be telling us we shouldn't have the privilege of playing a final in Croke!!!  You absolute f**k Stick!!!!"

Don't think there's much chance of Ulster fans thinking of the RDS as a home from home. More like the Hades in which our hope filled souls have suffered in the fire of abject failure, denying us our Holy Grail, on too many occasions Cry

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 11 May 2016, 2:36 pm

Now now Fly, Dublin's home ground is Parnell Park. Just because the GAA, run by culchies, want generate loads of cash to give to their culchie mates in their culchie clubs, keep moving Dublin out of their home ground isn't the fault of the Dubs.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 11 May 2016, 3:28 pm

No, no, you're right.  It's not the fault of the Dubs, bandwagon.  Their fans detest having to go sit in that damn Hill 16 forty times a year to watch their lads struggle so far from home against the Barbarian Hordes Whistle Cool

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 11 May 2016, 3:43 pm

Surely if Leinster is any Star Wars character, it's Daisy Ridley's one?

It's quite fashionable to pretend that you're indifferent about them but secretly you find them quite attractive, although you wouldn't really want to admit that to anyone.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 11 May 2016, 4:02 pm

George Carlin wrote:Surely if Leinster is any Star Wars character, it's Daisy Ridley's one?

It's quite fashionable to pretend that you're indifferent about them but secretly you find them quite attractive, although you wouldn't really want to admit that to anyone.

Leinster's equivalent would be Luke Skywalker surely. Broken spirit after conquering their demons and trying to rebuild the Leinster of old through their student (in the rugby case taking Henshaw).

Connacht are Daisy Ridley's character wondering how to take the next step

Ulster are the flashy pilot who deliver's spectacular performances but will fall short due to a lack of the force at the end (great backs, pack is not good enough).

Munster are Darth Vader. Their history was as a powerful force and inspired followers but now dead (6th in the Pro 12 and seem to be off the boil)

May have stuffed some square pegs in round holes.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 11 May 2016, 4:29 pm

I'd say Ulster are Princess Leia. Looks great, doesn't really do much. Always seems like she's going to break through and be an important character but... just doesn't happen.

Leinster are the Empire. They use blunt force to batter their enemies into submission and everyone desperately hopes that by the end of the movie the good guys will have beaten the odds and have seen them off.

Connacht are probably most similar to some popular and charismatic characters like Han Solo, Lando Calrissian and Poe Dameron. They add entertainment value and depth to the early and middle stages of the movie but we all know that no matter how brilliant they are, and how much the fans love them, the finale of the story is not going to be about them.

Munster are Chewbacca. Not so much a direct comparison, more to do with not being able to understand the accent and the excessive body hair.

George Hook is Jar Jar Binks.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 11 May 2016, 6:52 pm

Notch wrote:
George Hook is Jar Jar Binks.
Oh. You mean that he's as ugly as an anal wart, has a completely impenetrable accent and everyone who's ever encountered him wishes that he'd never been created? Gosh, well I find myself agreeing with that.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 11 May 2016, 7:09 pm

Bingo GC Smile

Ulster need to be less Carrie Fisher, more Daisy Ridley. Beating the Evil Empire on Friday week would be a good start.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 11 May 2016, 7:12 pm

Look everybody knows Jar Jar was a piece of schidt.  But for me, that other ball of crap gets off too easily.  That Boss Nass hoor!  

Every bit as much a dimwit as Jar Jar and, of course, the Real George Hook (although I actually like Hook's bombast and spittle... but can't stand Boss Nass!)

Now enough of these childish allusions to fantasy movies!  This is a serious rugby site!  What f**king eejit started this rubbish????

...................... Run

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by St John The Enforcer Wed 11 May 2016, 8:51 pm

Hey! Who made us the the evil ones?

Is there a star wars character who can cure cancer while juggling fire?

That was us until 2012

St John The Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 12 May 2016, 9:08 am

St John The Enforcer wrote:Hey! Who made us the the evil ones?

Is there a star wars character who can cure cancer while juggling fire?

That was us until 2012

The empire isn't evil, not if you're looking from their point of view anyway. I'm on the dark side, at least they never got all incesty and their uniforms are much more iconic.

Certain posters on here would compare the whole Pro12 franchise to star wars. A lot of overhyped rubbish that used to have entertainment value but of late looks like a watered down sad cousin of it's former self. I'm not one of them mind you, I think we're damn all like that star wars rubbish Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 May 2016, 3:21 pm

At RDS Arena, 7.45pm Live on Sky Sports/TG4 and BBC Sport NI
Referee: Ian Davies (WRU, 48th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Ben Whitehouse, Sean Brickell (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: John Cole (IRFU)
TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)

Happy with Davies.

More wonderful insights from Costello:

"Ulster No 10 Paddy Jackson cannot produce the same performance away from home and will not be comfortable in the RDS."

" Ulster are not the team they think they are and Leinster are not the team they should be. . . yet" (That would be the one that Ulster fans will be in awe of, according to Costello Very Happy )

CostelloCantHelpHimself.

Great for the spite Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 17 May 2016, 5:15 pm

What a tw@
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 17 May 2016, 5:17 pm

I never knew Costello to be so pro Leinster

You would think that after he made a bit of an eject of himself the last time, he would tone it done a bit.

The above and
"but you can be sure that the Ulster scrum will come second best next week,"

Why isn't there a comment section under his article so we can remind him what he said last time.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 May 2016, 5:33 pm

I haven't decided if he has become more pro Lienster, or just hates Ulster. Either way it's funny.

I noticed they haven't added a comments section below. Costello is the new Paul Rees Very Happy

Last edited by Munchkin on Tue 17 May 2016, 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 17 May 2016, 5:49 pm

"playing up there is no problem, particularly this time of year."
Ulster 30 - 6 Leinster

"Ulster vulnerabilities up front in the set pieces will ensure a lack of possession for their potent backs."
Ulster 30 - 6 Leinster

"the natives will sit back in awe of what Leinster can do."
Ulster 30 - 6 Leinster

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 May 2016, 6:12 pm

All good stuff to pin on the lockers.

Leinster won't be easy. They will raise their game, but I think we can beat them, and be the first team to win an away semi, while reducing Costello to a puddle of tears.

Last edited by Munchkin on Tue 17 May 2016, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 17 May 2016, 6:37 pm

I would love it if we beat them down there, I would love it
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 May 2016, 8:24 pm

I'd say Leinster were bluffing all season. They were setting up this one game. Costello has his deep-throat contacts. I'd say they're going to be absolutely Supernova style Awesome at the weekend!

The Natives will be gobsmacked, and the news will reverberate around the world, where the grim New Zealand press will even be forced to acknowledge Leinster were absolutely "okay"!!!!!

Yahoo Yahoo

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next