The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PRO12 Play Off 2: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors, 21 May

+29
westisbest
toml
TheMildlyFranticLlama
eirebilly
Rory_Gallagher
wolfball
IanBru
cakeordeath
NeilyBroon
TJ
Tattie Scones RRN
highland_scot
VinceWLB
21st Century Schizoid Man
R!skysports
RDW
BigGee
Golden
funnyExiledScot
EST
rodders
Senlac
thebandwagonsociety
Hazel Sapling
Pot Hale
SecretFly
jimbopip
George Carlin
33 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PRO12 Play Off 2: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors, 21 May Empty PRO12 Play Off 2: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors, 21 May

Post by George Carlin Sun May 08, 2016 9:55 am

PRO12 Play Off 2: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors, 21 May Connac13                  PRO12 Play Off 2: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors, 21 May Glasgo15
Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors
Saturday 21 May 2016
KO: 18:30
The Sportsground, Galway

Referee: Marius Mitrea (FIR, 53rd competition game)
Assistant Referees: Nigel Owens (WRU) Stefano Penne (FIR)
Citing Commissioner: Gwyn Bowden (WRU)
TMO: Carlo Damasco (FIR)

Live on Sky Sports/TG4/BBC ALBA and BBC Sport Scotland

A. Head to Head

28 Played 28
8 Wins 17
17 Losses 8
3 Draws 3
508 Points 635

B. Form

7 May 2016
Connacht Rugby 14 - 7 Glasgow Warriors

11 September 2015
Glasgow Warriors 33 - 32 Connacht Rugby

25 April 2015
Connacht Rugby 13 - 31 Glasgow Warriors

26 September 2014
Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht Rugby

C. Teams

Connacht Rugby 
PRO12 Play Off 2: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors, 21 May Pat-la10
T O'Halloran; N Adeolokun, R Henshaw, B Aki, M Healy; AJ MacGinty, K Marmion; R Loughney, T McCartney, F Bealham; U Dillane, A Muldowney; E McKeon, J Heenan, J Muldoon (capt).

Replacements: D Heffernan, JP Cooney, R Ah You, A Browne, S O'Brien, John Cooney, S O'Leary, P Robb

Glasgow Warriors
PRO12 Play Off 2: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors, 21 May Townse10
S Hogg; T Seymour, M Bennett, P Horne, S Lamont; F Russell, H Pyrgos; G Reid, F Brown, Z Fagerson; L Nakarawa, J Gray (capt); R Wilson, S Favaro, J Strauss.

Replacements: P MacArthur, R Grant, D Rae, T Swinson, A Ashe, G Hart, D Weir, T Naiyaravoro

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri May 20, 2016 8:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

PRO12 Play Off 2: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors, 21 May Empty Re: PRO12 Play Off 2: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors, 21 May

Post by jimbopip Sun May 08, 2016 10:31 am

First up clap clap clap to the Craggy Islanders, you can only admire a team that has that kind of spirit and determination.

Secondly, Mr Puafisi now has a nickname: silly Puafisi. Silly Silly Puafisi. picard He had been "involved at the previous ruck, saw the ref signal a penalty to Glasgow and thought he could have a free hit. Silly.

Now, the match stats made very interesting reading; basically Glasgow were miles ahead in every one and nine times out of ten would have won comfortably. The Metres Run (with the ball) was very interesting: Glasgow more than 600, Connacht less than 300. Naka made 76 metres and Bennett 61. Schlong 4 and Harley 0. Yes, that's 4 metres combined by a winger and a flanker in a side which totally dominated possession and territory.

We know that it will be, pretty much same again from Connacht in terms of a rush defence trying to knock Glasgow back in the midfield and stop them building momentum; the question is what does Toonie do?

The obvious answer might be to play a kicking 10 and play in their half. This doesn't really play to our strengths, especially if Dunbar is not there to win turnovers.

PLAN B however. idea

Play Oscar Peterson alongside Jonny, thus giving us a bit more grunt when we pick and drive. Move Naka to six, have him running at slightly wider channels. Put Bluto to 7 and bring Arthur Ashe in at 8. This would give us a very beefy back 5 in the pack. Let those three in the back row smash the ball up after Gray and Peterson had taken the initial pick and go. Tie the Connacht pack in and then hope that our backs exploit the space. On which subject; Schlong could/should have been used taking the ball in the 10'12 channel off first phase and keeping the rush defence tight before spinning it out. I think we might see Big Tacky the invisible defender doing that in the semi.

Can we win? Oh yes.

Can the Craggy Islanders win again? Oh most certainly.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

PRO12 Play Off 2: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors, 21 May Empty Re: PRO12 Play Off 2: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors, 21 May

Post by SecretFly Sun May 08, 2016 12:59 pm

A free hit?

Good idea. Let's start a thread to debate the efficacy of adding a 'Free Hit' into the game that a side can use -only once- if they know they have a penalty coming.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun May 08, 2016 5:33 pm

There's a rumour that Connacht might shift the game to Thomond Park, just over their southern border.  

The demand for tickets has outstripped supply for the last few matches.  A big leap from 7,800 to 25,500 capacity though.  Would Munster fans lend their voices to the attendance?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun May 08, 2016 5:53 pm

Would it even be a wise thing to do? The whole feel of the Connacht Campaign is that they are a small local outfit battling it out heroically against the big boys. I think the players and fans draw on the energy of that 'smallness' at their home ground. Moving at this point might simply play too easily into the hands of the big, bad, experienced and menacing Glasgow boys.

For this season, I think they should just keep chugging along on their rhythm and allow fate to decide how far they get from here. I do think Munster fans would help them fill Thomond though and cheer them on.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun May 08, 2016 6:23 pm

SecretFly wrote:A free hit?

Good idea.  Let's start a thread to debate the efficacy of adding a 'Free Hit' into the game that a side can use -only once- if they know they have a penalty coming.

It's an interesting idea; just imagine if it had been about when Austin Healey was playing. Also, does it have to be one of the opposing side you hit?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun May 08, 2016 8:41 pm

SecretFly wrote:Would it even be a wise thing to do?  The whole feel of the Connacht Campaign is that they are a small local outfit battling it out heroically against the big boys.  I think the players and fans draw on the energy of that 'smallness' at their home ground.  Moving at this point might simply play too easily into the hands of the big, bad, experienced and menacing Glasgow boys.

For this season, I think they should just keep chugging along on their rhythm and allow fate to decide how far they get from here.  I do think Munster fans would help them fill Thomond though and cheer them on.
Agreed.

The moneymen will be fighting with the rugby men on this one.   

Connacht could try and go local and see if the GAA boys would lend a hand if St Jarlath's Park or Pearse stadium were available.    25,000 in each with only one little minor quirk: neither are floodlit, so would be a nice surprise to spring on the visitors - 'sorry lads, we're playing in the dark for this one, did no one call ye? Don't worry, we've put a green luminous stripe on the ball that matches the green luminous stripe on our jerseys. Oh, ye didn't get the telex on that one either?'
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue May 10, 2016 4:14 pm

Are there any stadium size rules for the semi finals? I thought they required 10,000 and Wiki is claiming Connacht is 500 short (not that anyone with common sense in Pro 12 offices would ban them playing at the Sportsground over so little).

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue May 10, 2016 4:31 pm

Well Wiki says the 9,500 seats are generated by extra temporary seating.  I was actually going to say I had a hard time believing the Sportsground (could they please at least find a new name?) had the capacity of 9,500.

But given the temporary seats thing, which adds 2,000, surely they could fit another 500 in anyway?

Also, it does make you think about how silly these rules are on stadium sizes when they have to be aligned with Rightfully Won home advantage.  

How is it okay to have 7,000 or 9,000 all through a season but as soon as you might make some real history by advantage of the home-game rights you've won, you're told you might have to go elsewhere for that 'home advantage'?  It's quite 'Irish' and I hope it's not an Irishman who wrote the actual rule, although it probably was.

Either home advantage is honoured - and sacrifices made on the audience front - or forget the concept at all and just have a suitable location picked out of a hat.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue May 10, 2016 4:55 pm

The advantage is that you are able to choose the venue to host the match. It so happens that clubs choose their own ground most of the time.
For a playoff game, the requirement for stadium size I believe (and I'm open to correction here) comes out of the requirement to provide a certain number of seats to competition organizers and more importantly the visiting side. So if you were to say that the travelling side gets 2,000 tickets (not unreasonable for the knockout game) and organizers use up another 500 (example numbers), then if you chose to host the game in a venue with only 4,000 seats you would be in a minority in your own stadium. So chances are there is an expectation to have to give the home side 75% of the crowd you need to make sure the capacity is 10,000.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue May 10, 2016 5:09 pm

I know...but the complications are that some sides might miss out on that 'home game' advantage that they fairly fought for. Granted too though, less and less of those teams (with not enough capacity) must exist now in Pro12? I wouldn't be up on all capacities but I'd assume 10,000 would be reachable for most at this point?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Senlac Tue May 10, 2016 11:50 pm

Assuming Dunbar is injured for this game, could there be an argument for playing Weir/Russell at 10/12?

General consensus seems to be that Weir's kicking game would have been better suited to the conditions last week, and he is certainly more reliable from the tee.

However I just can't envisage leaving somebody of Russell's quality out of such a crucial match.

He started his pro-career at 12, would allow us to have control at 10 with creativity at 12, a reliable kicker, and more solid defence in the midfield than Horne provides.
Senlac
Senlac

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed May 11, 2016 12:05 am

As a Leinster fan, all I'm going to say is...Good Luck Glasgow!

Take that how you will! Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed May 11, 2016 9:25 am

The two best teams in the league this year, this should probably be the final.

Hopefully will be a cracking game but have to back Connacht here, although am a big fan of what Glasgow are building and how they go about their business too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed May 11, 2016 9:54 am

As last weekend showed, this is sure to be a very close, hard-fought game. The Warriors will definitely be without Puafisi, and probably Dunbar. With the return of Buckley (I think) and the obvious home advantage, I'd say that Connacht are favourites.

Connacht totally nullified the Warriors attack, hammering Glasgow's one out runners behind the gain-line, and scrapping for everything on the floor. Toonie will have to think very carefully about how he sets his team up for the return leg, especially if the weather is what it seems to always be like in Galway.

Firstly we will have to match Connacht's physicality. I would like to see us keep it much tighter around the ruck, and not give the Connacht defence targets to hit. As much as the Warriors free wheeling style is a joy to watch, as our European form has consistently shown, it sometimes needs to be tempered with pragmatism, especially when up against a team who stops us playing - Russell needs to get us playing in the right areas of the pitch. Taking that into account, this would be my team (assuming Dunbar is injured):

Ried
Brown
Fagerson
Gray (c)
Nakarawa
Harley
Favaro
Strauss

Pyrgos
Russell
Seymour
Johnson
Bennett
Lamont
Hogg

Jerry Y
McArthur
Rae (oh dear)
Swinson
Wilson
Price
Horne
Big T

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 am

EST - that team looks about right to me, although I'd probably gamble on Big T ahead of Lamont. A big risk I appreciate - he has a horrible tendency to go walkabout in defence and has a Visser-ish laziness at times, but his attacking game and power on the burst are top notch.

Big test this for Glasgow. Harley and Favaro are going to need to be at their very best to slow down Connacht, who play at an almost Super Rugby level of intensity when they go through the phases.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed May 11, 2016 10:32 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:EST - that team looks about right to me, although I'd probably gamble on Big T ahead of Lamont. A big risk I appreciate - he has a horrible tendency to go walkabout in defence and has a Visser-ish laziness at times, but his attacking game and power on the burst are top notch.

Big test this for Glasgow. Harley and Favaro are going to need to be at their very best to slow down Connacht, who play at an almost Super Rugby level of intensity when they go through the phases.

I debated putting Big T in there, fEs. Do his obvious physical gifts outweigh his Visser-esque defence? I was very close to saying yes, but then I had visions of Connacht peppering his wing with Gary Owen's in the swirling wind and rain, with half of Galway screaming at him. I think he has a part to play in this game, especially in the absence of Dunbar, but once things have broken up a bit.

I know Jimbo is not his biggest fan, but I actually don't think that Glasgow have used the big guy particularly sensibly this season. I have hardly once seen him take a crash ball from Russell in midfield, or used coming in off his wing from a scrum, for example. It might be that Toonie doesn't want to alter his game plan to fit one player, which I suppose is fair enough, but I have found myself watching infuriated as we have this physical monster hardly ever getting the ball.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed May 11, 2016 10:37 am

rodders wrote:The two best teams in the league this year, this should probably be the final.

Hopefully will be a cracking game but have to back Connacht here, although am a big fan of what Glasgow are building and how they go about their business too.

The table tells a different story Rodders..  Whistle

As much as I would love Connacht to win, I think Glasgow will be much improved in the semi.

Anyone have an injury update for Connacht? Will Buckley, White, Ah You, Bealham or JP Cooney (he went off injured as well right?) be back? Thats a lot of players in the front row they might be missing.

Last edited by Golden on Wed May 11, 2016 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed May 11, 2016 10:56 am

The key position for Glasgow in this game is who is going to play 12 and be up against Aki, who is definitely Connacht's key man.

I don't think Johnson is fit and in any case has not played for weeks, so I very much doubt it would be him. That leaves Horne, or moving Russell one out to 12 as our options.

I think we have to trust ourselves and pick Horne there. He is almost always up against a much bigger 12 and that has not held him back so far. What he will need is a good OS to back him up and we have a kamikaze version of that, who will tackle himself into the ground in Favaro. Surely he must start this game.

Otherwise probably very few changes from last time. Bennett will start at 13 and is well overdue to give us a performance. Henry will start at SH, with Price bringing his pace off the bench later on. Lamont played quite well when he came on and Jones dropped a high ball, so Sean gets the nod and I think we should take a punt with Big T on the bench as well.

In the pack, assuming Puifisi is banned, then it will be Fargerson and Rae on the bench. Either Harley or Wilson at BS and I would probably have Ashe on the bench to have some more heavy carrying options available if Strauss starts to tire towards the end.

Do we know when the hearing is for Silo, maybe he will be lucky and only get a week. It was not particularly malicious, just stupid!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed May 11, 2016 10:59 am

The worry with Horne-Bennett is that they are pretty lightweight and will be up against a physical combo from Connacht - the pitch is quite narrow too so they may struggle to find space.

In the last game Connacht stopped Glasgow getting over the gainline - without a good 'big un' in the midfield that becomes more difficult.

With all that in mind, I'd probably go with them anyway as the best combo currently available!

Hopefully Dunbar is OK...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed May 11, 2016 11:08 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:The worry with Horne-Bennett is that they are pretty lightweight and will be up against a physical combo from Connacht - the pitch is quite narrow too so they may struggle to find space.

In the last game Connacht stopped Glasgow getting over the gainline - without a good 'big un' in the midfield that becomes more difficult.

With all that in mind, I'd probably go with them anyway as the best combo currently available!

Hopefully Dunbar is OK...

Where is RV when we need him!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed May 11, 2016 11:09 am

BigGee wrote:The key position for Glasgow in this game is who is going to play 12 and be up against Aki, who is definitely Connacht's key man.

I don't think Johnson is fit and in any case has not played for weeks, so I very much doubt it would be him. That leaves Horne, or moving Russell one out to 12 as our options.

I think we have to trust ourselves and pick Horne there. He is almost always up against a much bigger 12 and that has not held him back so far. What he will need is a good OS to back him up and we have a kamikaze version of that, who will tackle himself into the ground in Favaro. Surely he must start this game.

Otherwise probably very few changes from last time. Bennett will start at 13 and is well overdue to give us a performance. Henry will start at SH, with Price bringing his pace off the bench later on. Lamont played quite well when he came on and Jones dropped a high ball, so Sean gets the nod and I think we should take a punt with Big T on the bench as well.

In the pack, assuming Puifisi is banned, then it will be Fargerson and Rae on the bench. Either Harley or Wilson at BS and I would probably have Ashe on the bench to have some more heavy carrying options available if Strauss starts to tire towards the end.

Do we know when the hearing is for Silo, maybe he will be lucky and only get a week. It was not particularly malicious, just stupid!

You are right BigGee, in the context of this game particularly, Dunbar is going to be a huge loss. In my eyes, the problem of playing Russell, Horne and Bennett together, agains the likes of Aki and Henshaw, is obvious. They are all willing defenders, but won't be able to make dominant tackles against the Connacht midfield. If thats the team selected, I can see Aki and Henshaw being too influential. We saw it last weekend on more than one occasion, most obviously for Connacht's first score. It is a dilemma though, if Johnson is injured then there really isn't much option.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed May 11, 2016 11:12 am

On a more serious note, this does possibly show that we have not really developed our centre combos quite as well as we should have and look particularly light at 12. It is probably an area that does need to be strengthened. Maybe the rumours of Huw Jones coming over from South Africa are true.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed May 11, 2016 11:15 am

Glasgow could definitely do with another big lad at 12. That's what James Downey was supposed to be I suppose.

I can think of someone currently available...

PRO12 Play Off 2: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors, 21 May 11008895

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed May 11, 2016 11:16 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Glasgow could definitely do with another big lad at 12. That's what James Downey was supposed to be I suppose.

Don't even joke about that, RDW.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed May 11, 2016 11:18 am

Is a straight red not an automatic ban? Or does it depend on the citing commissioner?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed May 11, 2016 11:19 am

EST wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Glasgow could definitely do with another big lad at 12. That's what James Downey was supposed to be I suppose.

Don't even joke about that, RDW.  

My bad, I'm sorry.

A sensible suggestion this time - this guy is an All Black!

PRO12 Play Off 2: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors, 21 May BenAtigarugbyplayer

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed May 11, 2016 11:21 am

Ok, so the picture won't display on my screen - but my guess is the pie man himself, a man who has literally and metaphorically been dining out on his one AB cap - Mr. Ben Atiga?

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed May 11, 2016 11:22 am

EST wrote:Ok, so the picture won't display on my screen - but my guess is the pie man himself, a man who has literally and metaphorically been dining out on his one AB cap - Mr. Ben Atiga?

Whistle

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed May 11, 2016 11:41 am

Golden wrote:Is a straight red not an automatic ban? Or does it depend on the citing commissioner?

Not necessarily. they could say it was a bad call and overturn it, not that I think that is likely.

He is not going to get a massive ban for this, as it was at the lower end of the scale. It may depend on his previous as well, he has been pretty clean since coming up north, so he may get some brownie points for that.

Probably best case scenario is a 2 week ban, dropped to 1 week because of remorse and previous good record. On that basis he would play, as we are missing a game this weekend.

More likely is 2 weeks and he will be back for the final if we make it.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed May 11, 2016 11:43 am

I think bans usually take rest weekends into account so even a 1 games ban would rule him out of the semi final.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed May 11, 2016 11:58 am

If the midfield is lightweight and we were struggling to get past the gainline (I did not watch the game), Big T should start. He will provide the kind of carrying to make Connacht take a step back on backs moves to give the creative boys some space. If not him then Hughes (who is a better defender) could do it to a lesser effect.

Also worth bearing in mind that Fagerson is a stronger carrier than Puafisi so Favaro/Fusaro for Wilson costs nothing in that department and gets a real 7 on the pitch. I would rather have Harley or Ashe than Wilson to start depending on what game Toony expects (Harley for the defensive uses/Ashe as an offensive weapon). Wilson is a good bench option.

From the stats last week, Connacht got away with one. Kicking cost us but with Horne on the pitch there is another option to take pressure off Russell. If the weather is good, Glasgow should win. If it is bad, it is a coin flip. If it is bad and Connacht get 2 of their main props back, Connacht should win.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed May 11, 2016 12:22 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I think bans usually take rest weekends into account so even a 1 games ban would rule him out of the semi final.

I am pretty sure bans are in weeks and not matches. This has been discussed before pointing out that it is unfair. A long ban at the end of the season may not even cost you any game time at all.

I am not holding my breath for him playing this game though. Probably missing the semi and being available for the final would be the correct punishment for something that was stupid rather than malicious.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed May 11, 2016 12:35 pm

It may be a total co=incidence, but Fraser Lyle has not been selected for the Paris sevens this weekend, having been a staple of the team all season. Hoyland is going in his place.

Is Toonie having a look at him as a 12 option. He has done it before and been reasonably successful at it. He runs hard and straight from what I remember and is solid defensively

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed May 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Jaysus lads - will everyone calm down?

Dunbar will not be back in time for this. The midfield will be 12 Horne and 13 Bennett. No midfield has run through Aki-Hendshaw all season. That is not the plan. We will do what we always do and unlock it with creativity. We play to our strengths. It won the title last season and is our best bet of making it happen again now.

Wings have to be Tacky and Seymour. This is the game for the big feller. Forget about the defence - he is devastating close to the line and we need him to suck players in and open up that tight midfield. Lee Jones is not the answer in a slug fest in the Galway mud.

Why do people want Poor Faeces back? We don't need him and he has categorically proven himself to be a few sandwiches short of the full Fortnum's hamper.

Sheesh. Believe, as one of my paddy brothers was so fond of telling me.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed May 11, 2016 1:54 pm

I think what all this chat is showing is that Toony got his selection wrong (not for the firs time) for the last game.

The weather forecast was no secret yet he picked a team that wasn't set up to play in those conditions.

There's no point having Lee Jones on the wing if he's playing in a mudbath, and Glasgow desperately needed a decent kicker - that's Weir's main strength!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu May 12, 2016 2:50 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I think what all this chat is showing is that Toony got his selection wrong (not for the firs time) for the last game.

The weather forecast was no secret yet he picked a team that wasn't set up to play in those conditions.

There's no point having Lee Jones on the wing if he's playing in a mudbath, and Glasgow desperately needed a decent kicker - that's Weir's main only non complete weakness strength !

Updated for you

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu May 12, 2016 6:02 pm

Ok.  We'll keep DW and you can continue to battle it out with Zebre, Treviso and the Dragons in the bottom 4.   I mean given a choice who in their right mind would want to play for Edinburgh with that senile old t88t coach.  Please keep him.

There ain't half some utter shoite on here from people who apparently know absolutely feck all about Glasgow Warriors - needless to say mostly Luvvies.   For the avoidance of doubt there was no mud bath in Galway.  The pitch was in excellent nick.   It rained and got steadier in the second half making the ball (you know that oval thing that Edinburgh don't know what to do with ) very slippy.    I appreciate its rather difficult for you to make these assessments of players and conditions when you sit at home watching on the telly but here's a thing.   Try actually going to a rugby match.   If the Luvvies on here jogged down to The Library now and again it might double the crowd and you could learn something.

One more thing enjoy your team going to Siberia and Romania etc in the wee diddy cup. They will find it most invigorating playing rugby in -26 degrees - good for the soul so they say .

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri May 13, 2016 8:50 am

Ah Schizoid, you old romantic!

For what it's worth I didn't blame the selection or the pitch, I just thought Connacht were much better than Glasgow.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri May 13, 2016 1:13 pm

You know I thought this was one of the Schiz's more reasoned thoughtful utterances.

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Ok.  We'll keep DW and you can continue to battle it out with Zebre, Treviso and the Dragons in the bottom 4. Some on here have argued that the league table misrepresents where the Luvvies are. No, you get what you deserve over 22 games; certainly you blew a number of games you could have won, but if you do that regularly you deserve to be down with the dead men.  I mean given a choice who in their right mind would want to play for Edinburgh with that senile old t88t coach.  Please keep him.I don't think you can criticise a man for getting older, however his inability to attain lofty concepts such as : after 487 games on the trot a prop needs a rest, it's not a yellow card offence if a team makes more than three passes in a move, you can have double digit numbers on your back and still be a rugby player.

There ain't half some utter shoite on here from people who apparently know absolutely feck all about Glasgow Warriors - needless to say mostly Luvvies. I tend to think that shoite and drivel is why we come on here.  For the avoidance of doubt there was no mud bath in Galway.  The pitch was in excellent nick.   It rained and got steadier in the second half making the ball (you know that oval thing that Edinburgh don't know what to do with )How could anyone agree with this vile calumny? The Luvvies only do with the ball what their coach tells them, " Give it to the front row; they've got energy to burn. But remember, every third ruck - kick it to the opposition and we'll let them make the mistakes for us." very slippy.    I appreciate its rather difficult for you to make these assessments of players and conditions when you sit at home watching on the telly but here's a thing.   Try actually going to a rugby match.   If the Luvvies on here jogged down to The Library now and again it might double the crowd and you could learn something. That is cruel; they will be at the Library on the 28th supporting us; I hope all the noise and conviviality doesn't upset them too much.

One more thing enjoy your team going to Siberia and Romania etc in the wee diddy cup.  They will find it most invigorating playing rugby in -26 degrees - good for the soul so they say .
Well done, Schiz, you ended with a generous, warm gesture of support and concern for their future well being. The anger management classes are working.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon May 16, 2016 12:42 pm

Alex Dunbar will miss the remainder of the season with a knee injury.

A scan at BMI Ross Hall Hospital revealed that the 26-year-old centre sustained a bone injury in the 13th minute of the club’s final regular GUINNESS PRO12 match against Connacht in Galway.

Dunbar will not require surgery and will now begin a period of rest and recovery with his club’s medical team.

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: "We're disappointed for Alex that his season has been cut short through injury.

"He had been playing very well and played a big role in getting us into the GUINNESS PRO12 Play-Offs.

"We wish him all the best with his rehab and we look forward to him returning to training ahead of the new seaso

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon May 16, 2016 1:50 pm

Massive shame about Dunbar, just as he was getting going again. Horne, Johnson and Bennett can all do a job, but Dunbar is the key member of the group for my money.

Hope he recovers well ahead of next season. If he stays fit then he has a shot at becoming a Lion.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon May 16, 2016 5:45 pm

I seldom do this, lads,but... I think the loss of Alex Dunbar and the continuing absence of Richie V mean that the Tombola may have to concentrate on adding bulk and looking at "going north-south before trying to go east-west"

jimbopip wrote:First up clap clap clap to the Craggy Islanders, you can only admire a team that has that kind of spirit and determination.

Secondly, Mr Puafisi now has a nickname: silly Puafisi. Silly Silly Puafisi. picard He had been "involved at the previous ruck, saw the ref signal a penalty to Glasgow and thought he could have a free hit. Silly.

Now, the match stats made very interesting reading; basically Glasgow were miles ahead in every one and nine times out of ten would have won comfortably. The Metres Run (with the ball) was very interesting: Glasgow more than 600, Connacht less than 300. Naka made 76 metres and Bennett 61. Schlong 4 and Harley 0. Yes, that's 4 metres combined by a winger and a flanker in a side which totally dominated possession and territory.

We know that it will be, pretty much same again from Connacht in terms of a rush defence trying to knock Glasgow back in the midfield and stop them building momentum; the question is what does Toonie do?

The obvious answer might be to play a kicking 10 and play in their half. This doesn't really play to our strengths, especially if Dunbar is not there to win turnovers.

PLAN B however. idea

Play Oscar Peterson alongside Jonny, thus giving us a bit more grunt when we pick and drive. Move Naka to six, have him running at slightly wider channels. Put Bluto to 7 and bring Arthur Ashe in at 8. This would give us a very beefy back 5 in the pack. Let those three in the back row smash the ball up after Gray and Peterson had taken the initial pick and go. Tie the Connacht pack in and then hope that our backs exploit the space. On which subject; Schlong could/should have been used taking the ball in the 10'12 channel off first phase and keeping the rush defence tight before spinning it out. I think we might see Big Tacky the invisible defender doing that in the semi.

Can we win? Oh yes.

Can the Craggy Islanders win again? Oh most certainly.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon May 16, 2016 7:21 pm

Breaking news: @GlasgowWarriors' Sila Puafisi banned until June 12 and will miss @PRO12rugby run-in after red card

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon May 16, 2016 8:32 pm

Another blow for Glasgow. Big game for young Fagerson coming right up.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon May 16, 2016 8:56 pm

Bit harsh, there was no malice in it... You can bet your house if he had been playing in a white shirt during the last 6N he would have got away with it scot-free.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon May 16, 2016 10:30 pm

That does seem a bit harsh, missing the semi and back for the final would have seemed a bit more just. Has he any previous?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon May 16, 2016 11:04 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Breaking news: @GlasgowWarriors' Sila Puafisi banned until June 12 and will miss @PRO12rugby run-in after red card

Just actually watched it

Does seem he was looking at the ball his hands even event down to aim to pick it up

The Irish player also bends down at the same time

Seen a lot worse than than not punished at all

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue May 17, 2016 1:17 am

Riskysports wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Breaking news: @GlasgowWarriors' Sila Puafisi banned until June 12 and will miss @PRO12rugby run-in after red card

Just actually watched it

Does seem he was looking at the ball  his hands even event down to aim to pick it up

It was probably that Sexton was waving his hands around the place and dived on the ground afterwards that sealed Puafisi's fate.    Shame.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue May 17, 2016 6:47 am

Pot Hale wrote:
Riskysports wrote:

Just actually watched it

Does seem he was looking at the ball  his hands even event down to aim to pick it up

It was probably that Sexton was waving his hands around the place and dived on the ground afterwards that sealed Puafisi's fate.    Shame.
I blame Donald Trump for the whole thing, actually.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next