The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What an absolutely pathetic end to the Welsh regional season

+34
XR
Recwatcher16
munkian
Shifty
eirebilly
Stone Motif
PhilBB
Cardiff Dave
Allty
Steffan
RDW
LeinsterFan4life
Breadvan
St John The Enforcer
wayne
profitius
Kingshu
George Carlin
mikey_dragon
exile jack
Luckless Pedestrian
Knowsit17
marty2086
ScarletSpiderman
Golden
True Raven
BamBam
Pot Hale
SecretFly
offload
VinceWLB
RiscaGame
yappysnap
LordDowlais
38 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

What an absolutely pathetic end to the Welsh regional season Empty What an absolutely pathetic end to the Welsh regional season

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 May 2016, 8:24 am

Well, the title says it all really. What a pathetic, embarrassing finish to the PRO12 it was for the Welsh regions. I am livid, as a Welsh rugby fan I am bouncing, and it just goes to show how right I am when I talk about the attitudes towards the game that the regions take. What does it matter to the regions that they got beaten on the weekend ? Nothing, that's what, they do not have to worry.

Ospreys knew what they needed to do and the were shamed in their own back yard. If I were a paying customer on Saturday I would have been demanding my money back. Scarlets were the same, they just gave up in the second half, and the less said about Dragons the better. Where was the pride ? 

I live in hope that next season will be better, Welsh domestic rugby is in a dark place at the moment, how any fans of the regions can come on here and defend their teams showing over this season is beyond me. No doubt I will get attacked from every quarter on here by the likes of Risca, Stone motif, mikey dragon, PhillBB, Scarletspiderman, but how can they argue ? It's no wonder that the amount of fans going to watch our regions are not as good as elsewhere, it's because of the crap being served up infront of them week in week out, who would want to keep paying for it ?

But what does it matter, the regions will still get the same funding next year, they will still get the same money from Europe, nothing will change for them, so why should they change ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

What an absolutely pathetic end to the Welsh regional season Empty Re: What an absolutely pathetic end to the Welsh regional season

Post by yappysnap Mon 09 May 2016, 8:48 am

I imagine it's probably all PRLs fault.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

What an absolutely pathetic end to the Welsh regional season Empty Re: What an absolutely pathetic end to the Welsh regional season

Post by RiscaGame Mon 09 May 2016, 8:57 am

Eat, sleep, regurgitate, repeat. If it doesn't matter as you say at the end, why have you written this rant?

Who defends their teams?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 May 2016, 9:06 am

Ah, good old Risca, the first to come on here and have a go at me, just as I predicted. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 09 May 2016, 9:20 am

Look at the positive Blues 2nd half of the season has been quite remarkable and is very encouraging for next season.

Scarlets collapse towards the end has been a strange one though and you would think Ospreys can only get better from here.

By the way, weren't you saying teams from the Welsh premiership would beat Zebre (who have 15 Italian Internationalists)? An apology to Zebre fans would be in order.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 May 2016, 9:22 am

VinceWLB wrote:An apology to Zebre fans would be in order.

yes I should apologise to the Zebre fans. Are there any on here ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 09 May 2016, 9:26 am

LordDowlais wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:An apology to Zebre fans would be in order.

yes I should apologise to the Zebre fans. Are there any on here ?

Maybe who knows, on the facebook pro12 page there are Treviso and Zebre fans.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 May 2016, 9:28 am

VinceWLB wrote:Maybe who knows, on the facebook pro12 page there are Treviso and Zebre fans.

I do not go on facebook, twitter, instant gram, snapped chat or any other social media. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 09 May 2016, 9:40 am

Nothing new - the regional product has been dire for years and getting worse. I gave my Dragons season ticket away and prefer to go to the rec now (which is saying something after the season they've had). I will always support Wales but I've had it with domestic rugby. Anyone who thinks the regions produce a decent rugby product is brain dead.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 09 May 2016, 9:47 am

LordDowlais wrote:Ah, good old Risca, the first to come on here and have a go at me, just as I predicted. Rolling Eyes

Answer the question. Who defends their teams? What people like me speak up about is when you post unsubstantiated guff like your Zebre post the other day, heads in the sand or things like things won't change.

You are unable to deal with context Dowellais. You would say Dragons result was bad on the weekend, but you will refuse to acknowledge things like the six changes we made in our pack and you clearly disrespect Zebre anyway with your ignorant Welsh Prem comment.

The showing over the season has been poor from NGD, but what more can they do other than sacking their DOR? Do you acknowledge things like that? No you don't. Try seeing the world differently from "I am right" and acknowledge that things aren't always as black and white as you seem to think.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 May 2016, 9:52 am

Bastardo Lord!!!

Abbiamo distrutto i tuoi ragazzi!!!! We a make-a you look-a like-a dee sheet!!!

We no accept dees a de apologia!!!! We come strongere even next seasono, you Beetch!

Viva Zebre!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 09 May 2016, 10:08 am

I thought Cardiff gave it their all on Saturday and it showed in win my through against Edinburgh.  

Dragons coach has paid the price for poor performance in the league although they progressed well in the Challenge Cup - further than Connacht.  

Scarlets had a good season overall and had their Euro spot confirmed by previous round.  One win was the difference between them getting a playoff spot.  

Ospreys are probably the team has fallen the most this season. But it's just this season.  They will bounce back.  

And it could make the Challenge Cup more lively next season with 3 Welsh teams in it. 

I might be wrong but I think Welsh attendances have improved this season, and Welsh teams are the ones that most home fans of other teams turn up for.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 09 May 2016, 10:09 am

SecretFly wrote:Bastardo Lord!!!

Abbiamo distrutto i tuoi ragazzi!!!!  We a make-a you look-a like-a dee sheet!!!

We no accept dees a de apologia!!!!  We come strongere even next seasono, you Beetch!  

Viva Zebre!

Great to see we have some Canadian fans on here too. Welcome.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 May 2016, 10:11 am

offload wrote:Nothing new - the regional product has been dire for years and getting worse.

This.100%. clap clap

RiscaGame wrote:Answer the question. Who defends their teams?

PhillBB, Cardif Dave, TrueRaven to name a few. If I here how better Cardiff Blues are doing under Danny Wilson this season I will explode, yep they are doing so much better, they have finished one place higher in the league.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 09 May 2016, 10:13 am

Abbiamo distrutto i tuoi ragazzi!!!!  We a make-a you look-a like-a dee sheet!!!

We no accept dees a de apologia!!!!  We come strongere even next seasono, you Beetch!  

Viva Zebre!

Laugh Laugh Laugh

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Mon 09 May 2016, 10:23 am

offload wrote:Nothing new - the regional product has been dire for years and getting worse.  I gave my Dragons season ticket away and prefer to go to the rec now (which is saying something after the season they've had).  I will always support Wales but I've had it with domestic rugby.  Anyone who thinks the regions produce a decent rugby product is brain dead.

Spoken like a true fairweather fan

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 09 May 2016, 10:25 am

No link to Wales online? Shocked Theres a first.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 09 May 2016, 10:48 am

LordDowlais wrote:I live in hope that next season will be better, Welsh domestic rugby is in a dark place at the moment, how any fans of the regions can come on here and defend their teams showing over this season is beyond me. No doubt I will get attacked from every quarter on here by the likes of Risca, Stone motif, mikey dragon, PhillBB, Scarletspiderman, but how can they argue ? It's no wonder that the amount of fans going to watch our regions are not as good as elsewhere, it's because of the crap being served up infront of them week in week out, who would want to keep paying for it ?

I guess a proper fan would be the sort that pay to turn up and watch it. The regions are going to be far worse if people like us lot didn't go religiously, as they would have even less cash to invest in players, and coaches.

Next season I think people will really have to watch out for the Blues and Ospreys. The Blues seemed to have turned a real corner since new year, and that makes some sense as it tends to take time for a new coaches methods and systems to sink in. And the Ospreys will have the pressure off in Europe next season, and will be able to rest up players when playing against the likes of Calvisano or Stade Bucharest. Also that will give those who only look at the results something to cheer about, as the Ospreys and Blues will most likely end up in the Semi-Finals if not the final. The Dragons will have a new setup for next season, so I expect them to take a while to bed in, but probably be the typical Dragons and give some really valiant performances that come up just short of the mark.

ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 09 May 2016, 11:01 am

True Raven wrote:
offload wrote:Nothing new - the regional product has been dire for years and getting worse.  I gave my Dragons season ticket away and prefer to go to the rec now (which is saying something after the season they've had).  I will always support Wales but I've had it with domestic rugby.  Anyone who thinks the regions produce a decent rugby product is brain dead.

Indeed.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 09 May 2016, 11:02 am

True Raven wrote:

Nonsense. I've given thousands of my hard earned to domestic Welsh rugby for decades, but no more. The WRU and Regions between them have managed to create an awful product lacking, skill, intensity and ambition. The lack of coaching and management quality in the domestic game is a scandal. You can continue to waste your money every week watching shoite - but that doesn't make you smart. I must have had 10 season tickets at the Dragons which is quite something considering in the old world I wouldn't have been seen dead supporting Newport. I got behind regional rugby because I could see no professional future from the club structure, it simply has not delivered an acceptable standard.
It pains me to say it, but every single game in the Aviva produces better quality than the Pro 12 can throw up.

So carry on pi**ing your money away on rubbish and enjoy your "true fan" status. thumbsup
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 09 May 2016, 11:04 am

LordDowlais wrote:
offload wrote:Nothing new - the regional product has been dire for years and getting worse.

This.100%. clap clap

RiscaGame wrote:Answer the question. Who defends their teams?

PhillBB, Cardif Dave, TrueRaven to name a few. If I here how better Cardiff Blues are doing under Danny Wilson this season I will explode, yep they are doing so much better, they have finished one place higher in the league.

Maybe they are just stagnant and everyone else has gotten better, Scarlets missed out on the playoffs on try bonus points with Ulsters 8 to their 2 being the difference. That'll be a learning experience for them going forward

Ospreys have struggled to have a first choice 15 all season and have been hit harder than most, I don't think anyone believes that this season is anything more than a blip

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 May 2016, 11:05 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Next season I think people will really have to watch out for the Blues and Ospreys.  The Blues seemed to have turned a real corner since new year, and that makes some sense as it tends to take time for a new coaches methods and systems to sink in.  And the Ospreys will have the pressure off in Europe next season, and will be able to rest up players when playing against the likes of Calvisano or Stade Bucharest.  Also that will give those who only look at the results something to cheer about, as the Ospreys and Blues will most likely end up in the Semi-Finals if not the final.  The Dragons will have a new setup for next season, so I expect them to take a while to bed in, but probably be the typical Dragons and give some really valiant performances that come up just short of the mark.

So is that how it's going to be from here on in?

The top six of one year have to fight on two heavy duty fronts the following year and so a new top six emerges as a result in Pro12...who obviously then get to become also-rans again the following year given that they'll be the ones fighting on the two heavy duty fronts?

The Zebedee Pro12...and we all know how crazy that M*t**rf**ker was! - well us older guys do anyway... Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Mon 09 May 2016, 11:07 am

offload wrote:
True Raven wrote:

Nonsense. I've given thousands of my hard earned to domestic Welsh rugby for decades, but no more. The WRU and Regions between them have managed to create an awful product lacking, skill, intensity and ambition. The lack of coaching and management quality in the domestic game is a scandal. You can continue to waste your money every week watching shoite - but that doesn't make you smart. I must have had 10 season tickets at the Dragons which is quite something considering in the old world I wouldn't have been seen dead supporting Newport. I got behind regional rugby because I could see no professional future from the club structure, it simply has not delivered an acceptable standard.
It pains me to say it, but every single game in the Aviva produces better quality than the Pro 12 can throw up.

So carry on pi**ing your money away on rubbish and enjoy your "true fan" status. thumbsup

The ospreys have the most league titles (along with Leinster), how is that not an acceptable standard??

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 May 2016, 11:12 am

offload wrote:  

Perhaps true....and some wonderful increases in athletic ability shown throughout the AP in a few short years too! Duracel men for a fact, them boys.... at Tempo..... Nice.

But listen to the sounds already coming from there about the demands that players feel they are under...and the fears of burnout and being pushed too hard (Corbisiero, Brown). Not all players are happy to have to 'perform' at the highest levels each and every week in a brutal sport to keep their big pay-masters, owners, sponsors and broadcasters happy that the product is selling well.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 09 May 2016, 11:13 am

True Raven wrote:
offload wrote:
True Raven wrote:

Nonsense.  I've given thousands of my hard earned to domestic Welsh rugby for decades, but no more.  The WRU and Regions between them have managed to create an awful product lacking, skill, intensity and ambition.  The lack of coaching and management quality in the domestic game is a scandal. You can continue to waste your money every week watching shoite - but that doesn't make you smart.  I must have had 10 season tickets at the Dragons which is quite something considering in the old world I wouldn't have been seen dead supporting Newport.  I got behind regional rugby because I could see no professional future from the club structure, it simply has not delivered an acceptable standard.  

So carry on pi**ing your money away on rubbish and enjoy your "true fan" status.  thumbsup

The ospreys have the most league titles (along with Leinster), how is that not an acceptable standard??

It staggers me how content some people are with mediocrity. The **** that floats to the top of a bucket of **** is still in a bucket of ****.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 09 May 2016, 11:16 am

SecretFly wrote:
offload wrote:  

Perhaps true....and some wonderful increases in athletic ability shown throughout the AP in a few short years too!  Duracel men for a fact, them boys.... at Tempo..... Nice.

But listen to the sounds already coming from there about the demands that players feel they are under...and the fears of burnout and being pushed too hard (Corbisiero, Brown).  Not all players are happy to have to 'perform' at the highest levels each and every week in a brutal sport to keep their big pay-masters, owners, sponsors and broadcasters happy that the product is selling well.

I think you raise an interesting point Fly - what is an acceptable price to consistent quality?
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 09 May 2016, 11:18 am

I'd say this thread is two to three years late. Welsh regional rugby has been in a truly shocking condition for a long time now. We're currently competing with the Italians as the cannon fodder of European club rugby. The fitness, the communication, the coaching, the culture... I can't think of any aspect of the regions that isn't in a toxic state.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 09 May 2016, 11:22 am

LordDowlais wrote:If I here (sic) how better Cardiff Blues are doing under Danny Wilson this season I will explode

If we're not allowed to mention one of the few positives to have come from this season, then what is the point of this thread?

The Blues' improvement shows what can be done if you have the right man at the helm. All four regions have talented young players; what they need is the right coaches to bring them on and shape them into dangerous teams. That's where the regions need to start.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 May 2016, 11:22 am

Oh I don't know Knowsit... I think the fitness of the Welsh International players that turn up in New Zealand will be fine if not impressive. And perhaps that's the real answer there looking people in the eye but few want to admit it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 09 May 2016, 11:23 am

Knowsit17 wrote:I'd say this thread is two to three years late. Welsh regional rugby has been in a truly shocking condition for a long time now. We're currently competing with the Italians as the cannon fodder of European club rugby. The fitness, the communication, the coaching, the culture... I can't think of any aspect of the regions that isn't in a toxic state.

Unfortunately I agree. I'm no longer prepared to pay to watch rubbish week in week out. That's my choice, others can make their own.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by exile jack Mon 09 May 2016, 11:32 am

LordDowlais wrote:Well, the title says it all really. What a pathetic, embarrassing finish to the PRO12 it was for the Welsh regions. I am livid, as a Welsh rugby fan I am bouncing, and it just goes to show how right I am when I talk about the attitudes towards the game that the regions take. What does it matter to the regions that they got beaten on the weekend ? Nothing, that's what, they do not have to worry.

Ospreys knew what they needed to do and the were shamed in their own back yard. If I were a paying customer on Saturday I would have been demanding my money back. Scarlets were the same, they just gave up in the second half, and the less said about Dragons the better. Where was the pride ? 

I live in hope that next season will be better, Welsh domestic rugby is in a dark place at the moment, how any fans of the regions can come on here and defend their teams showing over this season is beyond me. No doubt I will get attacked from every quarter on here by the likes of Risca, Stone motif, mikey dragon, PhillBB, Scarletspiderman, but how can they argue ? It's no wonder that the amount of fans going to watch our regions are not as good as elsewhere, it's because of the crap being served up infront of them week in week out, who would want to keep paying for it ?

But what does it matter, the regions will still get the same funding next year, they will still get the same money from Europe, nothing will change for them, so why should they change ?

I didn't feel that the O's were shamed on Saturday.They lost to a better coached team who were more accurate,won the contact area and made far fewer team and individual mistakes,and who had a much less depleted team than the O's.Even with Mitrea's odd approach to multiple offences by Ulster the game was close until Webb's box kick brainfart led to Trimble's try.HOWEVER,taking the season as a whole the O's record against the Irish teams and Glasgow reads W1,D1,L8.That is just not acceptable.When you add to that the very poor away performances at Ulster and Edinburgh,the games that should have been won against Connacht(home and away),Munster(home),Llanelli(home) and Leinster(away) the picture becomes even bleaker.Finally,apparently glorious defeats at Clermont and UBB and an abject performance against Exeter are explained away as some form of creditable performance against Europe's elite.Absolutely and totally a load of testicles.

Something doesn't feel right down in Ospreylia.They've got world class players,actual and potential,who at least match their English,Irish and Scottish counterparts at International level but NOT apparently at Pro12 level.For next season(can't wait) I hope there is a radical review of coaching at the O's,Biggar and Webb stop believing their own publicity,box-kicking and missed passes are banned,someone shows Lydiate how to carry a ball into contact without losing it and Tandy receives instruction on not picking players out of position time and time again.Finally,no member of the O's coaching team is allowed to mention future success as an antidote to past and recent failure.Fewer injuries and players playing with injuries would be welcome as would a proper microphone for the reporters at the O's press conferences.Finally,i hope the newly appointed EPD at the WRU assists skills development at all the Regions.Farewell 2015/16 and roll-on 2016/17.

exile jack

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Mon 09 May 2016, 11:34 am

offload wrote:
True Raven wrote:
offload wrote:
True Raven wrote:

Nonsense.  I've given thousands of my hard earned to domestic Welsh rugby for decades, but no more.  The WRU and Regions between them have managed to create an awful product lacking, skill, intensity and ambition.  The lack of coaching and management quality in the domestic game is a scandal. You can continue to waste your money every week watching shoite - but that doesn't make you smart.  I must have had 10 season tickets at the Dragons which is quite something considering in the old world I wouldn't have been seen dead supporting Newport.  I got behind regional rugby because I could see no professional future from the club structure, it simply has not delivered an acceptable standard.  

So carry on pi**ing your money away on rubbish and enjoy your "true fan" status.  thumbsup

It staggers me how content some people are with mediocrity.  The **** that floats to the top of a bucket of **** is still in a bucket of ****.

and it staggers me how some people live in a fantasy world and pretend that the regions are on an even financial basis with the rest of Europe

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 09 May 2016, 11:40 am

True Raven wrote:
offload wrote:
True Raven wrote:
offload wrote:
True Raven wrote:

It staggers me how content some people are with mediocrity.  The **** that floats to the top of a bucket of **** is still in a bucket of ****.

and it staggers me how some people live in a fantasy world and pretend that the regions are on an even financial basis with the rest of Europe

Sorry, I forgot. It's all down to money. picard
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 09 May 2016, 11:46 am

RiscaGame wrote:Eat, sleep, regurgitate, repeat. If it doesn't matter as you say at the end, why have you written this rant?

Who defends their teams?

Probably what I would have said. I was waiting for his angry rant, and I see you have your usual response from him.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2016, 11:52 am

The reaction to only one Region making the top 6 was predictable, but things aren't as bad as the final table would suggest.

It has been an incredibly close fight for those top 6 places, with the 8th placed team still able to qualify on the last day. Scarlets had already qualified, just missing out on 4th, with an injury ravaged Ospreys fighting a strong Ulster side for that 6th spot. There really hasn't been much in it, with Ulster only being secure in their 21st game, and Munster just squeezing in on their last.

Cardiff are getting stronger, and will be one to watch next season. Ospreys rallied at the end, but their very poor start to the season gave them an almost impossible task. They came very close. They will rebuild from next season, and will be challenging for top 6, if not top 4, along with Scarlets and Cardiff.

I've long felt that the missing ingredient for the Regions has been a strong coaching ticket, as I've no doubt they have the talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 May 2016, 11:58 am

Fair play, Munch Wink

But I think I must attempt to fore-think a quote from your fellow Ulsterman here to bring balance to your fairplay comments. There dost be too much fairplayism with Ulster players and fans recently...and it dost unnerve me.

SO.... one Rodders would have simply stated: "Yes, Lord, the Regions were total crap this season."

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 09 May 2016, 11:59 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:If I here (sic) how better Cardiff Blues are doing under Danny Wilson this season I will explode

If we're not allowed to mention one of the few positives to have come from this season, then what is the point of this thread?

The Blues' improvement shows what can be done if you have the right man at the helm. All four regions have talented young players; what they need is the right coaches to bring them on and shape them into  dangerous teams. That's where the regions need to start.

Yes exactly. It's a good start towards rebuilding, but if we'd want to go above and beyond I think we need more investment to bring in more players and more coaches. I don't see how ill-informed rants like this OP help though, it doesn't add much value to this forum either.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Mon 09 May 2016, 12:01 pm

exile jack wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Well, the title says it all really. What a pathetic, embarrassing finish to the PRO12 it was for the Welsh regions. I am livid, as a Welsh rugby fan I am bouncing, and it just goes to show how right I am when I talk about the attitudes towards the game that the regions take. What does it matter to the regions that they got beaten on the weekend ? Nothing, that's what, they do not have to worry.

I didn't feel that the O's were shamed on Saturday.They lost to a better coached team who were more accurate,won the contact area and made far fewer team and individual mistakes,and who had a much less depleted team than the O's.Even with Mitrea's odd approach to multiple offences by Ulster the game was close until Webb's box kick brainfart led to Trimble's try.HOWEVER,taking the season as a whole the O's record against the Irish teams and Glasgow reads W1,D1,L8.That is just not acceptable.When you add to that the very poor away performances at Ulster and Edinburgh,the games that should have been won against Connacht(home and away),Munster(home),Llanelli(home) and Leinster(away) the picture becomes even bleaker.Finally,apparently glorious defeats at Clermont and UBB and an abject performance against Exeter are explained away as some form of creditable performance against Europe's elite.Absolutely and totally a load of testicles.

Something doesn't feel right down in Ospreylia.They've got world class players,actual and potential,who at least match their English,Irish and Scottish counterparts at International level but NOT apparently at Pro12 level.For next season(can't wait) I hope there is a radical review of coaching at the O's,Biggar and Webb stop believing their own publicity,box-kicking and missed passes are banned,someone shows Lydiate how to carry a ball into contact without losing it and Tandy receives instruction on not picking players out of position time and time again.Finally,no member of the O's coaching team is allowed to mention future success as an antidote to past and recent failure.Fewer injuries and players playing with injuries would be welcome as would a proper microphone for the reporters at the O's press conferences.Finally,i hope the newly appointed EPD at the WRU assists skills development at all the Regions.Farewell 2015/16 and roll-on 2016/17.

Those 'world class' players though were not available for the games in bold and our financial constraints mean we had to rely on youngsters to cover for them. We had underhill who was in his first professional season covering tipuric. The previous season, however, we were a knock on from reaching the Pro12 final. No doubt that next season without a world cup interrupting the season and a full pre season for our boys, we'll be back competing for the playoff spots

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 09 May 2016, 12:02 pm

exile jack wrote:I didn't feel that the O's were shamed on Saturday.They lost to a better coached team who were more accurate,won the contact area and made far fewer team and individual mistakes,and who had a much less depleted team than the O's.Even with Mitrea's odd approach to multiple offences by Ulster the game was close until Webb's box kick brainfart led to Trimble's try.HOWEVER,taking the season as a whole the O's record against the Irish teams and Glasgow reads W1,D1,L8.That is just not acceptable.When you add to that the very poor away performances at Ulster and Edinburgh,the games that should have been won against Connacht(home and away),Munster(home),Llanelli(home) and Leinster(away) the picture becomes even bleaker.Finally,apparently glorious defeats at Clermont and UBB and an abject performance against Exeter are explained away as some form of creditable performance against Europe's elite.Absolutely and totally a load of testicles.

I'm glad I've seen this come from the mind of an Ospreys fan. I've gone on record saying something similar, only to be lambasted. I think Ospreys will do better next season, and they're a good bet for winning that challenge cup.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 09 May 2016, 12:05 pm

Munchkin wrote:The reaction to only one Region making the top 6 was predictable, but things aren't as bad as the final table would suggest.

It has been an incredibly close fight for those top 6 places, with the 8th placed team still able to qualify on the last day. Scarlets had already qualified, just missing out on 4th, with an injury ravaged Ospreys fighting a strong Ulster side for that 6th spot. There really hasn't been much in it, with Ulster only being secure in their 21st game, and Munster just squeezing in on their last.

Cardiff are getting stronger, and will be one to watch next season. Ospreys rallied at the end, but their very poor start to the season gave them an almost impossible task. They came very close. They will rebuild from next season, and will be challenging for top 6, if not top 4, along with Scarlets and Cardiff.

I've long felt that the missing ingredient for the Regions has been a strong coaching ticket, as I've no doubt they have the talent.

Those are things are to take into consideration, but it's still not an acceptable return for us tbh. The Irish teams performed well as expected. It's not a one off for them like you seem to suggest, I've seen them up their game multiple times in the European competition as well as weekends like the one just gone. I expect an improvement from the Welsh and Irish teams next season.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2016, 12:06 pm

SecretFly wrote:Fair play, Munch Wink

But I think I must attempt to fore-think a quote from your fellow Ulsterman here to bring balance to your fairplay comments.  There dost be too much fairplayism with Ulster players and fans recently...and it dost unnerve me.

SO.... one Rodders would have simply stated:  "Yes, Lord, the Regions were total crap this season."

Laugh

Well we did win the fairplay league angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2016, 12:29 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Munchkin wrote:The reaction to only one Region making the top 6 was predictable, but things aren't as bad as the final table would suggest.

Those are things are to take into consideration, but it's still not an acceptable return for us tbh. The Irish teams performed well as expected. It's not a one off for them like you seem to suggest, I've seen them up their game multiple times in the European competition as well as weekends like the one just gone. I expect an improvement from the Welsh and Irish teams next season.

With the exception of Connacht, I don't think the Irish sides have played well. It's been a tough year for PRO12 with it being a RWC year, and sides are still trying to adjust to having to fight that bit harder for a top 6 place.
The Irish and Welsh sides will improve next season. Cardiff are already improving, as are Ulster, although there are areas that still need to be addressed if we are to be real contenders in the Euro.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 09 May 2016, 12:30 pm

offload wrote:  It pains me to say it, but every single game in the Aviva produces better quality than the Pro 12 can throw up.  

So you have watched every single AP and Pro 12 and every single AP is better?

What a ridiculous statement, different people have different tastes and results colour opinion. I've watched quite a few AP games that have been dire, the LI and Worcester game the other week was pretty poor with flashes of excitement towards the end but ultimately was a poor quality game

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 09 May 2016, 12:38 pm

marty2086 wrote:
offload wrote:  It pains me to say it, but every single game in the Aviva produces better quality than the Pro 12 can throw up.  

So you have watched every single AP and Pro 12 and every single AP is better?

What a ridiculous statement, different people have different tastes and results colour opinion. I've watched quite a few AP games that have been dire, the LI and Worcester game the other week was pretty poor with flashes of excitement towards the end but ultimately was a poor quality game

Perhaps you've taken me a wee bit literally.
No doubt the Pro 12 is just about to take off...... again. Hug None so blind that will not see.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 May 2016, 12:42 pm

mikey_dragon wrote: I expect an improvement from the Welsh and Irish teams next season.

I think this is quite an important point.  I think if we're going to talk strictly 'club' rugby and strictly Regional, then I would still feel the need to say I don't think the happy balance between WRU overlords and Regions is still there yet.  But the publicity was that with Lewis gone, and Regions working through their central contract issue, that now was going to be a time of stability and growth and solidification with Regions.  
But to me I still see Gatland having a big 'unseen' whip right through the Pro12.  I sense he has a big role in the tempo of the Regional teams.  Like I say, I wonder how uncompetitive the Welsh players will look when they tour?  We'll see - I'll expect them to be super-slick with lots of gas in the tank and I believe they'll give the All Blacks some nervous moments.

I still feel there is resentment flushing through the Regions but perhaps not directed so much at the big bad WRU as at players themselves that perhaps DO under-perform at Regional with an eye on preserving things for International.  I personally wouldn't have an issue with that - International is tops in my eyes - players aren't machines. But Regional supporters probably would or should see some such link between Regional and International performances.

But to that point of yours above.  Leinster and Munster especially are going through bad times.  Most observers, both neutral and Irish fans themselves, see it plainly and call it.  Leinster and Munster are in slumps - perhaps in coaching terms, in confidence terms, in player form terms.  
This last few years was the time to catch them and bypass them.  They are easy pickings really and Should have been easier TO pick off had other teams just kept up their standards of the last number of seasons.  Other team coaches should have spotted the weak points, in coaching and personnel, and gone for them hard.  Glasgow is about the only side that has accomplished that task with the right attitude.  And now Connacht have put their after-burners on to attempt the same thing.
So as other teams like Ospreys now seek to rise from the ashes over the coming seasons, Leinster and Munster will be hoping for resurrections of their own.  Leinster should not be in top spot this season based on their performances - but are.  Munster should not have tripped and stumbled into 6th position - but did.  At probably their weakest in many years, they both managed to bully through on virtually memories alone .  So Ospreys and other Regions will need to improve next season but they'll have to be conscious that most other sides will also strongly feel their seasons weren't remotely good enough.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 09 May 2016, 12:44 pm

Viva Zebre!

Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 09 May 2016, 12:52 pm

Munchkin wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

With the exception of Connacht, I don't think the Irish sides have played well. It's been a tough year for PRO12 with it being a RWC year, and sides are still trying to adjust to having to fight that bit harder for a top 6 place.
The Irish and Welsh sides will improve next season. Cardiff are already improving, as are Ulster, although there are areas that still need to be addressed if we are to be real contenders in the Euro.

I should have clarified that I meant they played well on this weekend being discussed. Connacht are the exception, having played well across the season. They got the results and played some attractive rugby, and without signing superstars. They brought in a good coach and it's now reaping the benefits.
I don't think Ulster and Leinster are that far off the teams that they were well beaten by in Europe this season, I too think it was a world cup hangover but only time will tell.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 09 May 2016, 1:10 pm

Secretfly, I don't think the relationship issues are causing problems for the welsh teams right now, but next season who knows... The new chairman is seemingly a bit more rugby focused. I think the advantage the Irish have is whilst their academy teams are slightly inferior, their provincial teams are superior when it comes to developing players. I believe it's why the provinces can put out a strong team when they're without their internationals (as can Glasgow). The regions aren't at that level yet but need to be just to stay competitive in the Pro12. The Irish teams are also more success-hungry, least that's the impression I get. So whilst they're all in the top 6 they will consider this to be a poor season overall, even Leinster who managed to finish top. The welsh haven't had that much success yet so teams like the Scarlets are just pleased to get into the top 6 - that's a bit of a loser mentality.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2016, 1:12 pm

Ospreys were unlucky with injuries, and facing an Ulster side that is discovering a bit of form. I haven't watched all the Scarlets game, but understand that Scarlets should have won, but for silly unforced errors. The point is that it did come down to that last day, for Ospreys reaching 6th, and for Scarlets reaching 4th. It was incredibly tight.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 09 May 2016, 1:19 pm

Ospreys haven't been great all season and I think unless they freshen up their coaching team they will be held back. I can see that they have the players, but perhaps a lack of direction.
Neither have Scarlets been great all season, who have been too conservative in their style of play. I can see why Pivac tried to implement that and it's because they have poor defence. I think if they just got a new defence coach (Hayward had a poor track record before Scarlets picked him up) and played more like Ulster/Connacht then they would be a better team. Their try-scoring has been pretty low for a top 6 team, no bonus points against Italians in 4 games against them... That proved to be costly.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next