The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Cup 2019

5 posters

Go down

World Cup 2019 Empty World Cup 2019

Post by robbo277 Wed 11 May 2016, 2:39 pm

The automatic qualifiers include Japan (on merit as well as as hosts) and Georgia (on merit) for the first time, and exclude all 3 of Samoa, Fiji and Tonga.

Accordingly, there is no automatic qualifier from Asia, instead Oceania has been given an extra spot. Europe have also gone from two automatic spots to one automatic spot and one play-off against Oceania. There will also be a Repechage.

The 12 qualifiers are:
Japan, South Africa, Argentina, England, France, Georgia, Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Wales, Austrlia New Zealand
With 8 more from
Africa 1 (most likely Namibia)
Americas 1 and 2 (out of USA, Canada and Uruguay)
Europe 1 (most likely Romania or Russia)
Oceania 1 and 2 (probably Fiji along with Samoa or Tonga)
Europe or Oceania (the winner of the loser of Romania/Russia vs the loser of Samoa/Tonga)
Repechage (most likely the winner of the loser of Europe or Ocenaia and the Americas team that doesn't make it, although Asia 1 and Africa 2 will also be in a qualification competition with these 2).

All in all, it will be the same 20 teams, albeit with Russia probably facing off against Uruguay for their spot.

I read today on Twitter that the draw would be May 2017, which sounds good as it is 6 months later in the cycle than last time, but that's only a 6 Nations (and European Nations Cup) later in terms of the rugby calendar. Although it does mitigate against Home Nations losing to traditionally weaker countries when touring without their Lions a month later.

The 2015 draw was done on the basis of the automatic qualifiers taking the top 3 seedings. Accordingly, looking at the World Rugby Rankings at current, the bands would be as so:

Band 1: NZ, SA, Australia, England
Band 2: Wales, Argentina, Ireland, France
Band 3: Scotland, Japan, Georgia, Italy

Band 4, made up of Oceania 1, Europe 1, Oceania 2 and Americas 1 (predicted: Fiji, Romania, Samoa, USA)
Band 5, made up of Africa 1, Europe/Oceania, Americas 2 and play-off winner (predicted: Namibia, Tonga, Canada, Uruguay)

Scotland and Japan in particular look dangerous in Band 3 (and indeed will be looking to move up to Band 2 before the draw), as do Fiji and Samoa in band 4.

From an English perspective, even if we held our ranking, we could end up with Wales, either Scotland or the hosts and Fiji. Although it wouldn't be as bad as last time out, it would still be a potentially tricky pool to navigate, especially compared to a pool like: France, Georgia, Europe 2 and Repechage.

From a non-English perspective, I'm also guessing that a lot of Band 2 countries would rather get England if the draw was made now, rather than any of the other 3 Band 1s.

What do you make of the qualifying system in place? Is it right that it has been adjusted so that Tier 2 nations (Fiji, Samoa and Tonga) are still favoured to qualify, as opposed to a tier 3 European or Asian team benefiting from Georgia and Japan's automatic qualification?
What do you think about the draw being moved? Is it in the right place now?
Who would you want to avoid if the draw was made now? Who would you like to get?

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

World Cup 2019 Empty Re: World Cup 2019

Post by Geordie Wed 11 May 2016, 3:02 pm

Im afraid im old school...if you have ambitions of being the best you need to beat whoever is in front of you.

So its irrelevant whos in your group...you need to win.

England possibly expected to get through this WC but were categorically proved wrong on that count.

As to the Regions your probably correct, the only one id question is:
Africa - I think we'll see a new team...Namibias days of being the best are numbered...Kenya in particular, Morocco, Madagascar, Zimbabwe ( seemingly on their way back) etc etc are all progressing strongly and will probably surpass Namibia now.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 11 May 2016, 4:46 pm

How do you get those lovely white division lines??  Possibly more interesting to me than the topic...

Okay, only joking (not about wanting to know the code for those lines!)  - I'm with Geordie - I only care about rankings because I like seeing my side at the top of a list rather than the bottom.  

But as regards the WC - if you go with the intention of trying to win the thing, then you have to expect to meet the best sides at some point.  
Why play coward and say you don't want to meet them too early?  I can't see a whole lot of difference in when you meet them other than that it's possibly better to meet them when they aren't fully up-to-battle-hardened-speed in the group stages.

If you lose, you're gone - nice try.  If you win, then you go on without possibly having to think about meeting that side at least later on.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TG Wed 11 May 2016, 7:41 pm

I'd like to see Japan in pot 1. Being the hosts it is important for them to progress to the knockout.

No chance for Brazil to come to the fore in that time?

TG

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 12 May 2016, 10:05 am

Draw is being made after the 2017 6N but before the 2017 summer tours. Not very long to change fortunes.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 12 May 2016, 10:41 pm

Fly it's HR in square brackets.

I'd agree to an extent, but I would like to avoid another Group of Death if possible. I can't go through that again. At least with a knockout game it's over in 80 minutes.

Yeah so it's only 1 tournament later. You could theoretically see Australia or South Africa drop out of the top 4 or even Argentina drop out of the top 8 without playing. But then if you do it 4 months later you could have a team bereft of Lions losing ranking places by losing to a lower ranked team.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 12 May 2016, 10:48 pm

Thanks robbo OK

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 13 May 2016, 10:03 am

Makes any gains in this summer tour and the AIs very important now that seedings and draw are made in 12 months time.

Scotland are playing 2 away games to Japan. 2 decent wins will see them get 2.99 ranking point and place them a comfortable 7th. Getting in the 2nd pot for Scotland is so important.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down