The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+6
jimbohammers
kingdaveeagle
Good Golly I'm Olly
James100
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat May 14, 2016 10:16 pm

Is it safe  Wink

SURREY HAVE NAMED AN UNCHANGED 13 MAN SQUAD FOR THE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST MIDDLESEX AT THE KIA OVAL STARTING ON SUNDAY. Shocked
Zafar Ansari and Jade Dernbach remain on the treatment table Stuart Meaker is not deemed ready enough to start a championship game. As for Dom Sibley inclusion guildford's gut let him down  Laugh
The Surrey squad to paly Middlesex in the Specsavers County Championship at the Kia Oval on Sunday 15th May, Monday 16th May, Tuesday 17th May and Wednesday 18th May :
Gareth Batty (capt)
James Burke
Rory Burns
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Matthew Dunn
Ben Foakes
Arun Harinath
Mathew Pillans
Ravi Rampaul
Jason Roy
Kumar Sangakkara
Gary Wilson
Pillans for Dunn will probably be the only change I'd like to see Wilson come in as he is scoring runs for fun in the seconds but that would mean Harinath being the fifth bowler and as we know Batty isn't really backing himself which is worrying when you are the captain.
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 14, 2016 11:32 pm

It's safe, JimBob - well done! Very Happy

Think you're on the money with the likely eleven and your comments. Wilson is entitled to ask what more he can do to get a call up but hard to see how a space can be made for him. Guess that applies to Sibley too; I still would have given him a squad place though, if only to give the other batsmen a shake.

Even though Dunn and Burke both had a torrid time at Headingley, it's probably just about right to retain them in the squad - would be tough on such inexperienced and youngish* players to bin them altogether now. However, don't feel we can afford to go again with them both against Middlesex. Burke probably gets the nod as he's a better bat than Dunn and gives a look of better balance to the side. That said, we're still badly short of balance whilst Zaf's thumb is in ice!

*Talking about age, the Burger Van will be 24 next month - and still hasn't played a CC match.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by James100 Sun May 15, 2016 4:13 am

Last edited by James100 on Sun May 15, 2016 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun May 15, 2016 4:14 am

No Meaker in the squad so I assume he's still not fully fit. It's hard to think what will fix the problems as we need another batter (and as Guildford says, Wilson is in form for the 2s), but without a reliable third seamer we can't go in with only four bowlers. I guess I'd go with an unchanged side, but unless Ansari or Curran Jr are going to be back soon, it would be worth looking to get an all-rounder on loan from somewhere. The one thing that we definitely do need is for Batty to bowl more or Curran and Ravioli are going to break down soon and then we'll really be stuck.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 15, 2016 7:37 am

James100 wrote:No Meaker in the squad so I assume he's still not fully fit. It's hard to think what will fix the problems as we need another batter (and as Guildford says, Wilson is in form for the 2s), but without a reliable third seamer we can't go in with only four bowlers. I guess I'd go with an unchanged side, but unless Ansari or Curran Jr are going to be back soon, it would be worth looking to get an all-rounder on loan from somewhere. The one thing that we definitely do need is for Batty to bowl more or Curran and Ravioli are going to break down soon and then we'll really be stuck.

Hi James - understand the sentiment. However, as Olly could tell you, it would have been worth Norwich getting a top-class goalscorer but some things aren't that easy! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun May 15, 2016 7:59 am

Ha! Well maybe your suggestion of getting Azhar into the nets isn't as outlandish as you suggest.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun May 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Dunn ruled out with a hamstring injury.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 15, 2016 8:38 pm

Cheers, James. Don't think that changes the likely eleven but choices now further limited.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 15, 2016 8:39 pm

Middlesex win toss and bat ... things not going our way.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 15, 2016 8:43 pm

Surrey team as widely expected - Pillans in (he had to be once Dunn dropped out) and still no place for Wilson.

I'll be interested in the Middlesex eleven - they named a squad of 13 with two main spinners in Rayner and Patel. Be very surprising if both play although one will probably make the cut.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun May 15, 2016 10:00 pm

Middlesex 68-0 after the first hour

Same old story so far...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 15, 2016 10:01 pm

Not looking good, guys (unless you're the Middlesex supporter MfC who will undoubtedly be popping up some time to applaud his boys and wind us up about Batty's captaincy! Wink ).

68/0 off 14. 7 on the reel from Rampaul with 5 and 2 from Curran and Pillans going at 4, 5 and 7 per over respectively or thereabouts.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Wed May 18, 2016 1:09 am; edited 3 times in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun May 15, 2016 10:02 pm

Batty into the attack now. Maybe he's been reading us on here...

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun May 15, 2016 10:09 pm

Gareth Batty bowling before the 50th over of a match

What a time to be alive
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 15, 2016 10:24 pm

Division 2 here we come

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun May 15, 2016 10:27 pm

Another bore draw at the oval on the cards?

If so the pitch curator needs to be looked at and seriously questioned
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 15, 2016 10:30 pm

Hopefully not like the bore draw against Durham hey olly Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 15, 2016 10:44 pm

Far too soon to be blaming the pitch curator - need to see how things play out.

Middlesex have gone in for this match with 3 main seamers (Toblerone Jones who always does well against us, ex-Surrey man Dial M and ''No Nickname'' Harris) and one spinner in Rayner. Rayner took a career best match haul of 15 wickets at the Oval when we were last in Div One in 2013 - that's probably helped to get him his place in the eleven today. Others can and probably will turn their arms.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 15, 2016 11:08 pm

The baron finally gets his County cap and Tc as well clap: clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 15, 2016 11:10 pm

Middlesex 126/0 at lunch. ''Surrey need to dramatically improve'' - Johnny Barran. Even though he's not as mild mannered as Churchy, you know we've got problems when Barran is talking like that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Sun May 15, 2016 11:32 pm

Not to be too downhearted (as usual) but this game looks beyond us already. And unless we can get some of our injured/missing players back pronto (or find some form for those playing) we look odds on to drop straight back out of the division.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 15, 2016 11:41 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:The baron finally gets his County cap and Tc as well  clap: clap clap

Good spot and right to flag that, JimBob! Well done to them both.

I still though remain disappointed that the Viscount was never capped. 73 wickets in 2011 to get us promotion - a major milestone. I raised that at the AGM the other month.  Alec Stewart was understanding and polite but clear - ''Linners was close but not close enough.''

I fully accept that TC has greater potential than the Viscount ever did and should go on to achieve much more. However, I'm not sure that TC has as of now achieved more than the Viscount did throughout his time.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Mon May 16, 2016 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : got year wrong!)

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 15, 2016 11:42 pm

Batty strikes in the first over after lunch Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 15, 2016 11:43 pm

kingdaveeagle wrote:Not to be too downhearted (as usual) but this game looks beyond us already. And unless we can get some of our injured/missing players back pronto (or find some form for those playing) we look odds on to drop straight back out of the division.

Afternoon, King Dave - we're certainly playing catch up already and that's worrying after just two hours.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 16, 2016 12:25 am

What has happened to Ravioli? Harinath has had to finish an over for him!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon May 16, 2016 12:39 am

Oh dear picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 16, 2016 12:53 am

After my post, I put the radio on and heard Churchy say, ''Rampaul's off the field, being treated with something for something.'' Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 16, 2016 1:07 am

Into the 54th over and Middlesex are 197/2. TC has already bowled 18, exactly a third. Phew!! How long before he follows Ravioli back to the sick bay? At least Batty is bowling. However, Pillans and Burke not much involved - just a combined 8 overs so far at a cost of 39.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon May 16, 2016 1:27 am

It's no wonder our main seamers get injured so much when we bowl them into the ground

See my posts on the Yorkshire game thread predicting such things happening
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 16, 2016 1:55 am

Olly - well aware of your Yorks comments, agreed with them then and now. To be fair though, Batty's options in this match are currently limited by Pillans and especially Burke being expensive. At least, Batty himself is bowling more here. He's not doing a bad job with the ball - at least keeping things reasonably quiet, 1/51 off 20 overs. Having decided to pick himself in earlier games, just a pity he didn't think to perform that role then where so much of the bowling fell to TC and Ravioli.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 16, 2016 2:13 am

On the plus side, we're getting through our overs quickly and Burkey only went for a single in his first over after tea. Whistle

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 16, 2016 2:48 am

All a bit late but something of an improvement since tea. Pillans and Burke have shared the 10 overs bowled for just 20 with the latter picking up the wicket of Malan. If Ravioli doesn't bowl again today, it's vital that these two both put in a decent shift.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 16, 2016 3:00 am

257/4 as Burke gets his second wicket, Voges lbw. Give some credit here to Pillans - he's bowled 10 overs unchanged either side of tea for just 20 runs. That's keeping it tight and applying pressure as Stewie and MDV keep banging on about.

Maybe a slight opening or is that too optimistic?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon May 16, 2016 3:08 am

If we can pickup another couple before the end of play it's not a complete disaster
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon May 16, 2016 3:17 am

Will the baron have a bowl?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Mon May 16, 2016 3:19 am

Batty the destroyer strikes again :-)

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 16, 2016 3:28 am

jimbobgooner wrote:Will the baron have a bowl?

Yes, he's on now with Batty. I know we've got to make some overs up for Ravioli but I would have liked Curran and Batty bowling now at the 2 newish batsmen, Franklin and Stirling. If either of them get going, they are real biffers who could do serious damage.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon May 16, 2016 3:44 am

Curran bowls Stirling, Middlesex now 6 down as they approach 300

If Surrey can nip another one out before close of play they've recovered very well
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon May 16, 2016 4:00 am

289-7 as Curran picks up Rayner LBW

An excellent fight back in this evening session from Surrey
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon May 16, 2016 4:12 am

Middlesex finish on 298-7, considering they were 238-2 at one point that's a good fight back from the rey
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 16, 2016 4:23 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:289-7 as Curran picks up Rayner LBW

An excellent fight back in this evening session from Surrey

Absolutely. Just so disappointing that we let them get off to such a good start. We have to be firing from the off.

Wickets shared out between TC, Norah and Burkey but credit as well to Pillans. Although he went wicketless, he kept it tight after his ordinary opening spell and then applied pressure which I'm sure helped with Burke's brace. Pillans' last 12 overs only cost 21.

Don't know the position with Ravioli but him going off and not bowling again is obviously a major concern. Olly / JimBob / James - the world of twitter or anywhere else tell you guys anything?

I think we all know what we need to do in the morning.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon May 16, 2016 4:35 am

Latest on Ravioli is he has a hamstring strain Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 16, 2016 5:00 am

Cheers, JimBob. Guess that means he's unlikely to bowl again in this match but will bat if necessary? Not great, not great at all.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Mon May 16, 2016 8:18 pm

Today is my first day of live cricket for the year Smile Up to the oval to hopefully see a good day of solid Surrey batting!

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon May 16, 2016 10:04 pm

Wkts for TC and nora so far 1 wkt to get

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon May 16, 2016 10:19 pm

Final pair have put on 35 so far...don't let them completely ruin your good work Surrey!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon May 16, 2016 10:25 pm

Murtagh dropped mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon May 16, 2016 10:41 pm

50 partnership picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon May 16, 2016 10:47 pm

Just had a quick look at the score, why is Roland Jones batting down at 10? Ive always thought he's pretty handy with the bat.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon May 16, 2016 10:59 pm

395 all out randy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next