The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chilcot Report

5 posters

Go down

Chilcot Report Empty Chilcot Report

Post by Rowanbi Mon 23 May 2016, 12:06 pm

Due out in just over a month, is this going to send Bliar, Straw & co. to the Hague?   Rolling Eyes  I'm taking a believe-it-when-I-see-it approach to this one...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/chilcot-report-tony-blair-set-to-be-savaged-in-absolutely-brutal-iraq-war-inquiry-verdict-a7041926.html

"The long-awaited Chilcot report into the Iraq war is reportedly set to savage Tony Blair and other former government officials in an “absolutely brutal” verdict on the failings of the occupation.

The former Prime Minister “won’t be let off the hook” over claims he offered military assistance to the former American President George W Bush, a year before the invasion of Iraq, a source told the Sunday Times.

The Inquiry, which was set up by former Prime Minister Gordon Brown in June 2009 to look into the run-up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, will release its 2.6 million word report just two weeks after the EU referendum. It is expected to “damage the reputations” of a number of high-ranking officials.

The source added that the harshest criticism will be reserved for the former Foreign Secretary Jack Straw. “It will be absolutely brutal for [Mr] Straw,” they told the Sunday Times. “The build-up to war is very crucial. It will damage the reputations of a number of people, Richard Dearlove as well as Tony Blair and others. But there is a second half. The report will say that we really did make a mess of the after¬math.”

“We sent in inexperienced people. People were put in positions where they couldn’t succeed. We didn’t quite know what we were doing. After the invasion we found it very much more difficult than we had expected.

“All the things the British had been saying about how much better we were at dealing with post-conflict resolution than the Americans came very badly unstuck.”

Sir Richard Dearlove, the former head of MI6, will also face criticism for failing to prevent Downing Street from putting “gloss” on intelligence surrounding the alleged weapons of mass destruction.

Mr Blair will already be familiar with the criticisms in the report due to the Maxwellisation process, which allows those under fire to respond to the allegations in the report before publication.

Last year, in an interview with CNN, the former Labour Prime Minister issued a partial apology. He said: “I can say that I apologise for the face that the intelligence I received was wrong. I also apologise for some of the mistakes in planning, and certainly, our mistake in our understanding of what would happen once you removed the regime”.

The Iraq Inquiry will be based on the testimony of more than 150 witnesses, who contributed to more than 130 sessions of oral evidence. It also incorporates the results of the examination of 150,000 Government documents examined.

But delays to the report, which started nearly seven years ago, have been criticised by families of those who died during the eight-year occupation of Iraq between 2003 and 2011. Reg Keys, who lost his 20-year-old son Lance Corporal Thomas Keys Thomas was killed in the conflict said it was “dragging out the agony of the families who want to draw a line under this.”

The office of Tony Blair refused to comment on the reports. The Independent has also contacted Mr Straw"
Rowanbi
Rowanbi

Back to top Go down

Chilcot Report Empty Re: Chilcot Report

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2016, 12:26 pm

I hope there is also going to be an enquiry with regard the Libyan War and its aftermath. Both David Cameron and William Hague peddled lies about Colonel Gadaffi having a black mercenary set of troops that were raping their way through the population. This was used as a partial legitimation for ethnically cleansing the black population from Libya. Now Libya has been opened up as a trans-Saharian route of Africans into Europe via rickety boats and controlled by Islamist terror groups. I fear no-one is much interested in this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 23 May 2016, 12:34 pm

It's the Tories, the mainstream press won't cover it.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 23 May 2016, 12:59 pm

Let's see what's actually said when it's finally released. I can't see it happening, but Bliar et al really do need to shown up for what they really were over this. I'd love to see him in front of a Hague Tribunal but it'll never happen.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2016, 1:46 pm

I look forward to reading what "Chelsea, 22" has to say about it as she bares her ample breasts in the Sun newspaper

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 23 May 2016, 2:00 pm

Agree with Navy, they should all face justice for the way they tricked the country into backing the war.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowanbi Mon 23 May 2016, 2:06 pm

Nore Staat wrote:I hope there is also going to be an enquiry with regard the Libyan War and its aftermath.  Both David Cameron and William Hague peddled lies about Colonel Gadaffi having a black mercenary set of troops that were raping their way through the population.  This was used as a partial legitimation for ethnically cleansing the black population from Libya.  Now Libya has been opened up as a trans-Saharian route of Africans into Europe via rickety boats and controlled by Islamist terror groups.  I fear no-one is much interested in this.

thumbsup & the rest. I think there's still a few old geriatrics around from the Kenya gulag, aren't there? If they can keep hunting ex-Nazis out of the retirement homes, it's not too late for them to face justice either...
Rowanbi
Rowanbi

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 May 2016, 3:07 pm

I'd rather see money going into Education or the NHS than a Libyan enquiry...Not because there isn't anything to investigate but that nothing ever comes from these things....

Have my doubts anyone will pay the piper for Hillsborough...

Chilcot will be a damp squib..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2016, 3:11 pm

Someone from Hillsborough will be make a public scapegoat whilst privately being taken care of and set up with a nice advisory job abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 May 2016, 4:55 pm

2.6 million word report ??

It - was - a - lie.

I think most of us could have issued that four-word report there and then, before the invasion happened, and asked for a lot less money too.

But the real joke here is that war will be defeated by good governance.  A rap on the knuckles for the bad men that told 'untruths'.

If these people want war, a reason pops up.......................

The reason popped up.  

It has popped up since and it'll pop up in future times.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 May 2016, 5:20 pm

There was obvious lies - the claim from Blair & Straw that Saddam had ballistic missiles that could hit Britain with mass destruction in 15 minutes. It was patent nonsense. Like some of the nonsense this government is using about what would happen if Britain pulls out of the EU. It was the modus operandi of the Blair government which has formed the blueprint of all British governments ever since.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 May 2016, 5:47 pm

They'll say they went on the evidence they were presented with ........Which is bollox but it is a get out clause...

Don't waste good money hoping for a scenario that will never happen..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowanbi Mon 23 May 2016, 10:12 pm

What chance the US ever gets around to setting up an inquiry into GW & the Neocons chiefly responsible for this ongoing humanitarian catastrophy? A lot could depend on the result of this report ...
Rowanbi
Rowanbi

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 24 May 2016, 8:56 am

Nore Staat wrote:There was obvious lies - the claim from Blair & Straw that Saddam had ballistic missiles that could hit Britain with mass destruction in 15 minutes.  It was patent nonsense.  Like some of the nonsense this government is using about what would happen if Britain pulls out of the EU.  It was the modus operandi of the Blair government which has formed the blueprint of all British governments ever since.
It was patent nonsense, in hindsight. Who knows who saw what intelligence evidence at the time?

As for the comment re. the upcoming referendum - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 24 May 2016, 10:41 am

You can't see intelligence evidence that doesn't exist.

Yes, dubious intelligence collectors can pretend they've unearthed something big - but that isn't intelligence, if it's a fantasy concocted to provide a correct answer to the question: "Should we go to war?"

That wot be called a fabrication.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2016, 10:55 am

I'm always put in mind of that episode of Blackadder where they're sent to No-Man's land to do recon and simply get George to make something up

"Good luck going up against those elephants!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowanbi Tue 24 May 2016, 11:49 am

Sure, they'll let him keep his 60 million pound fortune, including 30-something flats and mansions, and he'll still get to charge hundreds of thousands for speeches and appearances, but a firm slap on the wrists is in order for helping to kill a million people and counting. So long as he says sorry and promises not to do it again..
Rowanbi
Rowanbi

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 May 2016, 1:02 pm

Why should he apologise ???.........It was all about regime change didn't you know...You gotta keep up my friend !!

and Saddam Hussein was a naughty boy !!...Just ask Robert Mugabe..

Plus he's a peace envoy in the Middle East...It's good to put back you know !!

Anyway...Why buy flats yourself when you can get an Aussie con man to do it for you ??? Cherie didn't know about it at the time though...The e-mail that turned up saying "Thank you Peter for buying the flats on the cheap" was an oversight !!!

Because she is a hard working mum you know.....and hard working mums forget things like that !!!..

Bless her ..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 24 May 2016, 1:09 pm

SecretFly wrote:You can't see intelligence evidence that doesn't exist.  

Yes, dubious intelligence collectors can pretend they've unearthed something big - but that isn't intelligence, if it's a fantasy concocted to provide a correct answer to the question: "Should we go to war?"

Very true, but it's not really quite right to paint all politicians as pathological liars on the basis of who saw what re. Iraq.

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:...Plus he's a peace envoy in the Middle East...It's good to put back you know !!...
Whose idea was that anyway? A more ridiculous appointment I'd struggle to think of.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 May 2016, 1:42 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
SecretFly wrote:You can't see intelligence evidence that doesn't exist.  

Very true, but it's not really quite right to paint all politicians as pathological liars on the basis of who saw what re. Iraq.

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:...Plus he's a peace envoy in the Middle East...It's good to put back you know !!...
Whose idea was that anyway? A more ridiculous appointment I'd struggle to think of.
Eric Pickles to solve world hunger?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down