The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open Day 8

+8
Henman Bill
Born Slippy
lags72
Belovedluckyboy
temporary21
CaledonianCraig
socal1976
summerblues
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

French Open Day 8 Empty French Open Day 8

Post by summerblues Sun May 29, 2016 3:13 am

(I leave the fancy title to someone who knows how to do it).

Nishi vs Gasquet the most interesting match for me.  Gasquet is capable of playing well enough to upset Nishi.  I hope he does not, because I do not think he is capable of challenging either Andy or Nole, while Nishi might just have a chance is stars align.  Even so, who knows, I might end up rooting for Richard once the match starts.

Isner is a good opponent for Andy in that he will not force Andy into grueling rallies.  Still, although clay is obviously not Isner's best surface, he can be dangerous here and is perfectly capable of taking sets off players.  Andy cannot afford to lose many more sets so he should make sure to come sharp right out of the blocks.

Not as interested in the other two matches.  Wawrinka and Raonic could lose, but only if they do not play anywhere near their best.

Last edited by summerblues on Sun May 29, 2016 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total

summerblues

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 8 Empty Re: French Open Day 8

Post by summerblues Sun May 29, 2016 5:26 am

I am noting that, true to his word, HMM indeed disappeared for RG.  He was saying he needed to do it to prevent becoming a nervous wreck.  I must admit that nervous wreck and HMM just do not go together in my mind - with him being one of the most level-headed and calm posters around.  I find the possibility that he - under the hood - is indeed a boiling pot waiting to explode very difficult to fathom, and, simultaneously, both endearing as well as unsettling.

Then again, he did say that his RG blackout was going to include vacation during the first week, so maybe he will yet show up before the final.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun May 29, 2016 9:24 am

Yeah can't see Andy being troubled by Isner, I think Stan is going to come out of this half.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun May 29, 2016 9:40 am

Well if Murray does win today he will pass Fred Perry's record for most quarter-finals reached by a British man at the French Open.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun May 29, 2016 9:45 am

A very special player Craig he deserves the accolades.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun May 29, 2016 9:48 am

socal1976 wrote:A very special player Craig he deserves the accolades.

You do realize you run the risk of being burnt at the stake for that remark? Wink

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Sun May 29, 2016 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun May 29, 2016 10:04 am

Well, Craig I am not worried, I think it has been established that I can out think the lot of them. That is unfortunately, not an accomplishment of any note, it isn't hard when I have to deal with the logical reasoning weak era as represented by some of my critics on this site.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2016 11:44 am

You are presenting yourself as some heroic figure in a B action movie. I don't this is the case. This is just people talking.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun May 29, 2016 11:59 am

In anycase, Raonic loses the 1st set 6-2, Mac in attendance, work needed

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun May 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Nore Staat wrote:You are presenting yourself as some heroic figure in a B action movie.  I don't this is the case.  This is just people talking.
Maybe Nore you would have less patience if you were taunted and ridiculed for years online by people who never produced any evidence for any of their claims while your facts were brushed aside. You may not believe this but before a certain cadre showed up on this site to take relentless shots at me there was never any fighting and I was as sweet as honey to all. I have been racially abused, abused for my religion although I have no religion,banned, personally insulted, had my positions distorted and lied about, whole threads done with my name in the headlines to mock me; so maybe I am less forgiving and I suffer fools less gladly.

I am not going to claim that I don't enjoy an occasional dust up or that i behaved perfectly either, if I couldnt take the heat 
I would have left a long time ago. But if people want to fight with me, in the immortal words of Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2016 12:18 pm

I think it is finding the right balance. Maybe people change, maybe people try to be ironic, humorous at times and it gets misinterpreted. At the moment this tennis forum has a fairly healthy mix of views and styles. Young blood is needed for long term sustainability.

I think maybe the interest in tennis is waning with the break up of the 3+1, beyond them there is nothing really to inspire the imagination. Great rivalries inspire the imagination. At the moment there doesn't seem to be great rivalry. Probably at a global level the interest is increasing simply due to opening up new markets (china, asia etc) but in traditional markets maybe interest is waning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Sun May 29, 2016 12:46 pm

Isnt this Ramos the one who beat Fed at Shanghai last year?

Well played by him here vs big serving Raonic. He's playing some good clay court tennis here winning the rallies, not winning by big serving. Im happy to see that even points tend to be long but I thought that's the norm with clay court tennis.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2016 1:11 pm

Albert Ramos-Vinolas knocked out Sock in five sets in the previous round - he is currently leading Raonic by two sets to love. He is 28 years old and until this year's French Open the furthest he had been in any slam in the singles was round 2.  2011 was a previously highlight for him at the French Open - reaching round 2.  From 2012 to 2015 he was knocked out in round one.

Also from Wikipedia: "At the 2015 Shanghai Rolex Masters, Ramos defeated the World No. 2 player Roger Federer in 3 sets to reach the 3rd round, where he fell to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga".

Record at Grand Slams prior to French Open 2016
Played: 18
Lost in first round: 14
Lost in second round: 4

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun May 29, 2016 1:40 pm

A cracking win for Ramos-Vinolas that. His first slam 4th Round appearance and he converts it into a QF. Raonic just couldn't work out a game plan.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun May 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Not surprising really Ramos-Vinolas is a more natural clay courter, but still this a big step in his career

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun May 29, 2016 3:29 pm

Murray & Isner warming up.

Looking forward to this one ........

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2016 3:30 pm

Troicki keeping Wawrinka honest. 1 set all (both tie breakers) but Wawrinka with the break in the third.

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun May 29, 2016 3:43 pm

Wawrinka now a break up in the 4th. Looks like he has that one won. 

Isner serving like a dream early on. Could be a tough day for Andy if he keeps an 80% average up!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun May 29, 2016 4:01 pm

Early signs of a good contest here ....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2016 4:34 pm

socal1976 wrote:
Nore Staat wrote:You are presenting yourself as some heroic figure in a B action movie.  I don't this is the case.  This is just people talking.
Maybe Nore you would have less patience if you were taunted and ridiculed for years online by people who never produced any evidence for any of their claims while your facts were brushed aside. You may not believe this but before a certain cadre showed up on this site to take relentless shots at me there was never any fighting and I was as sweet as honey to all. I have been racially abused, abused for my religion although I have no religion,banned, personally insulted, had my positions distorted and lied about, whole threads done with my name in the headlines to mock me; so maybe I am less forgiving and I suffer fools less gladly.

I am not going to claim that I don't enjoy an occasional dust up or that i behaved perfectly either, if I couldnt take the heat 
I would have left a long time ago. But if people want to fight with me, in the immortal words of Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"

Seriously Socal you do all the things you accuse other people of doing and most of the time you initiate these exchanges. You're constantly ridiculing people and their views, making up strawmen and then play the victim card. In fact you spend as much time whining as you do expressing your views. I actually think you talk a lot of sense but as Haddie once noted, your tone is inapropriate and overly aggressive. I know I do that at times but in my case it's a spur of the moment impassioned response and I usually try to ameliorate the situation.

You're basically an internet bully. Perhaps you should re-read some of your posts and then you'll see why you seem to have run ins with so many people.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun May 29, 2016 4:35 pm

Utter mug tiebreak from Andy after leading it 5-2. Vital he gets through this somehow 7-7.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun May 29, 2016 4:41 pm

CMAWN!
Way too close for comfort, but ultra clutch serving saved him

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun May 29, 2016 4:42 pm

Maybe turn down the aggression dial our ghostly deacon, a lots being let go but lets not go overboard eh?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun May 29, 2016 4:44 pm

Suzanne Lenglen rocking. They are obviously loving what is on show.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2016 4:44 pm

Thank goodness Murray won that set

He needs to get this done in three

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun May 29, 2016 4:45 pm

If Murray can get an early break here this could become far more straight forward.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun May 29, 2016 4:46 pm

Andy survived the first set, which is important.  He really does not want to have a long match here, and Isner can be tricky even on clay.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun May 29, 2016 4:48 pm

Wawrinka has had the best draw of all the top 4, and even Raonic is now gone.

Or maybe Ramos Vinolas and all the remaining Spaniards will play much better than I expect them, and Nole will win the title by going through Bautista Agut/Ferrer/Granollers/Ramos Vinolas.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun May 29, 2016 4:55 pm

Isner playing very well to be fair. Groundstrokes have been very solid.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun May 29, 2016 4:58 pm

Great stuff from Andy to tie up the tiebreak. Isner helping to produce an intriguing contest.....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun May 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Angry... bloody french rain

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2016 5:05 pm

Amazed at how mobile Isner can look for a guy that's so tall.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun May 29, 2016 5:06 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Isner playing very well to be fair. Groundstrokes have been very solid.

Indeed he is. His serve may not be as great as Karlovic but his all-round game is much better.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun May 29, 2016 6:15 pm

I was thinking about Gasquet. It's often been thought that his main problem was mental, but he has done a good job of partially reversing that trend in recent years, with important 5 set wins against Stan and Ferrer I think as well.

If you look at his record, he has never reached a slam final (players of his ranking often get 1 slam final in their career, even if they don't win one) but he rarely loses in the first round of a slam either - six years ago was the last one. (There were quite a few before that.) Since the start of 2011, Karlovic and Krygios were his only losses before round 3, understandable losses perhaps, he hasn't lost once to a no hoper in that time. He is certainly consistent.

It seems to me that the issue with Gasquet is that his solid game is just that - solid, and pretty, but in some ways unspectacular. He doesn't have monster shots of the calibre of a Stan or Del Potro or Berdych which means that, unlike these players, it's difficult for him to get wins against the big 4 unless they play really poorly. Conversely, I have seen him play a number of times and I've never seen him have an awful day when he sprays unforced errors around.

If you look at the occasions when he reached a semi final or quarter final, he usually did so by getting one good win against a player of similar ranking, but not beating the big four.

Since he beat Federer at Monte Carlo in 2005, he has not beaten the #1 or #2 ranked player at any event, not even a minor one. His last big 4 win was Murray in 2011 at Rome. He has never beaten any of them at a slam.

Overall records:
Fed 2- 15 (wins in clay masters)
Murray 3-7 (looks like a reasonable record, but he got 2 wins against Murray when he was young in 06/07.)
Nadal 0 - 14
Djokovic 1- 12 (beat Djokovic at 2007 in masters cup)

But, when you see Gasquet showing up at a slam first or second round against someone lowly ranked, he invariably cruises to an easy, elegant, often straight sets win.

From the start of 2011, he has lost in the fourth round about half the time at slams, because that is his level. Especially at the French Open, R4 every year, except for one R3. If he were to beat Nishikori, that would be his first QF at the FO.

It's hard to see how he can win a slam, you can't see him doing a Cilic and just red lining it for the last three matches. Maybe he needs to try a more high risk strategy and go for more. But maybe he just doesn't have the power to win a slam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Gasquet_career_statistics
There is a section on top 10 wins in the above.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun May 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Wow, what's going on in the Nishi vs Gasquet match?

I am just scoreboard watching but:

- Gasquet goes up a break
- Then Nishi breaks twice to go up a break himself
- And now Gasquet breaks twice to go up a break and serve for the set

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun May 29, 2016 6:16 pm

And he duly serves it out.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun May 29, 2016 6:25 pm

Pretty good hold from Isner from 0-30.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun May 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Murray takes the second set.  It should be easier from here.  Isner does not look quite as competitive as early on.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun May 29, 2016 6:33 pm

Murray has been solid today and he has needed to be. He leads 7-6 6-4. One more set to beat Fred Perry's RG record.

Gasquet leads Nishikori 6-4 2-1. Still feel Nishi will come through.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun May 29, 2016 6:42 pm

Gasquet now 6:4 4:1, with two breaks in the 2nd.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2016 6:43 pm

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see Nishi lose to Gasquet (who as HB has pointed out has never won a big match in his life), Andy to lose in five sets to Isner, Wawrinka lose in the next round and then Screech's final opponent withdraw due to explosive diarrhoea.

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun May 29, 2016 6:48 pm

Henman Bill - interesting thoughts re Gasquet.

I think whichever way you look at it, it's hard not to feel that he has never truly reached his potential. He has had a very respectable career, sure  - but perhaps not as good as might have been expected of a hugely talented guy who became junior World No. 1 in claiming junior titles at both RG and USO.

I have little doubt that you are right in feeling that, ultimately, he is just not equipped to win a Slam. Stranger things have happened I guess, when you look back at history. But I think he's a classic example of the familiar adage " if he was going to win one, he would have done so by now ....."

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun May 29, 2016 6:53 pm

Well just enjoy days like these, when hes in full flow

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun May 29, 2016 6:57 pm

Murray has broken John in the third, and seemingly his spirit

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun May 29, 2016 7:01 pm

Murray has definitely produced the goods when it mattered today - most notably in that opening TB. Things could have become very tense had it gone the other way.

Well played Andy clap

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun May 29, 2016 7:14 pm

emancipator wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

Seriously Socal you do all the things you accuse other people of doing and most of the time you initiate these exchanges. You're constantly ridiculing people and their views, making up strawmen and then play the victim card. In fact you spend as much time whining as you do expressing your views. I actually think you talk a lot of sense but as Haddie once noted, your tone is inapropriate and overly aggressive. I know I do that at times but in my case it's a spur of the moment impassioned response and I usually try to ameliorate the situation.

You're basically an internet bully. Perhaps you should re-read some of your posts and then you'll see why you seem to have run ins with so many people.

ghost

emancipator

Please can you name the person I abused racially? And no I don't lie about people's positions i may misunderstand someone who is being vague with an argument but if they clarify I do not continue to burn the strawman. By the way I get on with pretty much most posters, I have problems with those that come after in a dishonest or insulting manner. And I make no apologies for that. I do take exception to you characterizing me as an online bully, I am someone who just won't be bullied. If someone comes after me in an unfair or rude manner I am within my rights to defend myself.

Take Haddie, I would make a simple completely substantive analysis after a nasal loss and she would go bonkers with personal insults. I am glad I answered her in kind, she initiated every fight, every single won. She is notorious for clawing even Rafa fans eyes out if they say anything about Rafa's game she doesn't like. Be fair emanci when have not been a fair neutral to Nadal? You even accused me of being a closet Nadal fan the last time you were here.

Despite taking up wrongly for Haddie who fully deserved what I gave her. If she tries to claw my eyes out for saying Rafa's FH isn't as dominant as it used to be with personal insults I am to blame?

Either way I am glad your posting despite you name calling me a bully and defending Momma Bear Nadal with the acid tongue? By the way I borrowed that term from Bb who has away with words and has had the same experience with her.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun May 29, 2016 7:15 pm

HB, interesting post on Gasquet.  I agree he just does not have the tools to beat the top guys, but I did not realize how consistent he has been lately in the early rounds.

He has not yet dropped a set in this tournament.  I would gladly root for him against Nishi today if I did not know he would just fold in the QF.

So far it looks like the draws for all of Nole/Stan/Andy are opening up.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun May 29, 2016 7:18 pm

Andy Murray beats John Isner 7-6 6-4 6-3 to reach the QF's again in RG. He has now passed Fred Perry for the most QF's at RG by any British man ever.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun May 29, 2016 7:19 pm

Ps emanci you should really retract that comment that I racially or religiously abused any poster. If you are going to stick to that please provide the text, that is really borderline slanderous

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun May 29, 2016 7:20 pm

socal1976 wrote:after a nasal loss
I am not a native speaker, but is that not a "floss"?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next