The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet?

+14
whocares
kingraf
hampo17
Josiah Maiestas
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
Danny_1982
sirfredperry
barrystar
banbrotam
Mad for Chelsea
bogbrush
temporary21
CaledonianCraig
18 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet? Empty French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet?

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 10:04

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/22713811
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet? Empty Re: French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet?

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 10:07

Start of play delayed by rain but Accuweather suggests drier weather is on its way.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet? Empty Re: French Open Day 10: Agut-full of the Rain. Will Richard blow a Gasquet?

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 10:43

Even more rain coming down. No sign of a start time. This cold start to get really dicey for the tourny

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 10:46

Excellent; throws a wild card in to what otherwise is looking like a procession.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 10:48

temporary21 wrote:Even more rain coming down. No sign of a start time. This cold start to get really dicey for the tourny

I still say we will get about 4 to 6 hours of play today. Certainly enough time for the top half of the men's draw (at 4th Round stage) to complete their matches. Less likely the QF matches will get completed.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 10:59

It's great if you don't particularly want novak to win. I don't particularly want RG to be decided by dodgy weather though

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:00

Players about to come out onto court. thumbsup
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:14

temporary21 wrote:It's great if you don't particularly want novak to win. I don't particularly want RG to be decided by dodgy weather though
2012 French Open final Djokovic versus Nadal.  As soon as it started drizzling Djokovic gained the upper hand by winning 8 games in a row.  He took the third set and was up a break in the fourth set on the way to levelling the match.  The match was then postponed to Monday and in the dry Nadal was soon able to re-establish dominance and win in four.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun/10/sports/la-sp-french-open-20120611
http://espn.go.com/tennis/french12/story/_/id/8033759/2012-french-open-final-novak-djokovic-rafael-nadal-suspended-rain

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:21

and?...

I don't want guys being disadvantaged by being two days behind. A match affected by rain in the middle is completely different. At least then the guy can do something about it once they resume

Novak didn't lose that match due to rain. He was two sets down when that happened entirely if his own doing...

If this can't be completed today, he would be two days behind and powerless to do anything

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:25

temporary21 wrote:and?...

I don't want guys being disadvantaged by being two days behind. A match affected by rain in the middle is completely different. At least then the guy can do something about it once they resume

Novak didn't lose that match due to rain. He was two sets down when that happened entirely if his own doing...

If this can't be completed today, he would be two days behind and powerless to do anything

I remain confident his match will finish today. Still he looks unsettled and is pushing the boat out too much in his anxiety to get the job done ultra-quick.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:29

On serve and Bautista-Agut leads 3-2. Thiem an early break up on Granollers.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:32

Let's hope so. Dicey at the moment though. Both women's matxhes have turned around since the restart too

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:33

Bautista-Agut breaks to lead 4-2. Very solid and focussed start from him.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:36

Djokovic puts in his best game of the match to break straight back to trail 4-3. Meanwhile, Thiem leads Granollers 5-2.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:41

Another break... 5-3 up

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:41

Djokovic is not disadvantaged by wet weather. He even practices for it:
http://www.tennisbetsite.com/uploaded_images/djokovic_pool2-763455.jpg

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:42

Another break for Agut. He leads 5-3 and will serve for the first set.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:45

Ns. You're clearly not getting the point. It's nothing to do with conditions WHILST THEY ARE PLAYING. It's the delays to the draw by rain that were talking about. they can be forced to play 3 days in s row before they even hit a ball

We don't want that...

Jesus...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:45

Play being suspended on other courts.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:46

I think after this game they will go off. Agut takes the set 6-3.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:47

Well that's a sucky start. A set down and they might be going off again...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:50

And off they go again. Djokovic clearly not enjoying himself out there in that set, dropped serve three times in five service games, and loses his first set of the tournament. RBA playing very nicely indeed, but Djokovic obviously struggling.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 May 2016 - 11:59

temporary21 wrote:Ns. You're clearly not getting the point. It's nothing to do with conditions WHILST THEY ARE PLAYING. It's the delays to the draw by rain that were talking about. they can be forced to play 3 days in s row before they even hit a ball

We don't want that...

Jesus...
Don't blaspheme. In teaching you have to make specific statements. You can't blame students for teacher vagueness. When getting feedback you can swear or you can look to yourself for personal improvement. I also see you lack humour. Carry on.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:02

I made it clear as day. You just aren't bothered to read properly.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:04

Here's the bit you didnt read. If you still don't get it then "teaching you" is a pointless exercise...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:08

The weather's simply part of the circus at Paris(RG) and New York

All the top players have suffered at some point

As usual, once the winner is declared - no-one remembers that his beaten opponent was at a big physical disadvantage

I'm sure Novak's adult enough to shrug his shoulders and win the next three sets

However, if I was Thiem I'd be fuming - it was ridiculous that he was made to continue playing in that rain intensity. Would never have happened if it was an established player. RG continues to be the worst run slam for me, with the most couldn't care less about the players attitude. Mind you I've still not forgiven that lovely crowd for the abuse Serena got years ago (2004, I think)

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:10

Well i hope we get enoigh okay to finish the 4th round or it could be really bad. It's a tough spot for everyone including the organisers

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:13

Well I will say with a greater degree of certainty that with Agut winning the first set then the Gasquet/Murray match won't be finishing today.My money would be on Djokovic winning in four sets so another two hours of play left in that match. The women's singles match between Serena Williams and Elina Svitolina will take a minimum of two hours in my opinion so even if play resumed now (which it won't) then Gasquey/Murray won't be starting until 5pm (Local Time) at the very earliest. And then that is going on the premise that we get continuous play which looks highly unlikely.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:16

temporary21 wrote:

Here's the bit you didnt read. If you still don't get it then "teaching you" is a pointless exercise...
I did read. And you don't get it. Pointless to continue. Cross-purpose.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:18

So perhaps we can have some relevant discussion now?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:20

temporary21 wrote:Ns. You're clearly not getting the point. It's nothing to do with conditions WHILST THEY ARE PLAYING. It's the delays to the draw by rain that were talking about. they can be forced to play 3 days in s row before they even hit a ball

We don't want that...

Jesus...
Don't "we"?

I couldn't care less about right or wrong, I just want to see some drama and entertainment rather than a cardboard-tasting procession.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:27

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well I will say with a greater degree of certainty that with Agut winning the first set then the Gasquet/Murray match won't be finishing today.My money would be on Djokovic winning in four sets so another two hours of play left in that match. The women's singles match between Serena Williams and Elina Svitolina will take a minimum of two hours in my opinion so even if play resumed now (which it won't) then Gasquey/Murray won't be starting until 5pm (Local Time) at the very earliest. And then that is going on the premise that we get continuous play which looks highly unlikely.

I'm happy with Andy playing tomorrow, under the predicted brighter conditions

They should simply get Novak playing today and tomorrow and then have both SF's on Friday

They won't of course

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:29

No play before 1pm our time

This is just one if those days where Nole needs to just get his head down and grind it out. I feel for Murdock right now

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:34

banbrotam wrote: RG continues to be the worst run slam for me, with the most couldn't care less about the players attitude. Mind you I've still not forgiven that lovely crowd for the abuse Serena got years ago (2004, I think)

It's not only RG, the USO is habitually a slave to unrealistic TV schedules, if improving slightly of late, and Wimbledon 2007 was a total shambles - with Nadal and Djokovic taking 5 days to finish their 3rd round matches and "middle sunday" being the only clear dry day from Saturday through to Thursday. Federer had the good fortune of having had his third round match done and dusted before the weather and his fourth round opponent (Haas) scratching. Perhaps it would be fairer to say that they all used to be as bad as each other, and RG are the slowest to get their act in order?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:38

Apparently Rusedski made some comment along the lines that Djokovic and RBA shouldn't have played that set as it could affect Djokovic's chances in the tournament? Slightly odd IMO, conditions weren't great but they looked comfortably playable, and with the tournament already way behind schedule surely they should be looking to get matches on court whenever possible?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:46

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Apparently Rusedski made some comment along the lines that Djokovic and RBA shouldn't have played that set as it could affect Djokovic's chances in the tournament? Slightly odd IMO, conditions weren't great but they looked comfortably playable, and with the tournament already way behind schedule surely they should be looking to get matches on court whenever possible?

Annabelle Croft was far more vociferous. She seemed angry that they had to play half of the set. She put it down to panic because yesterday was washed out and they forced the issue. According to her she says she's never seen tennis start and play for so long with rain falling.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:48

They definitely had to play. It's ip to novak now to reverse the way the match is going when he gets the chance

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:48

I can't see the tennis here at work though. How bad was the rain when they were playing exactly?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:52

temporary21 wrote:I can't see the tennis here at work though. How bad was the rain when they were playing exactly?

It wasn't any worse than when they had played on earlier in the tournament. However, I can't recall them starting play with rain falling which they did today. Basically, it was the accumulative effect the rain was having on the courts making sliding more dangerous etc and the balls being totally caked in clay.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:55

Oh dear... I mean if it stops again will the court conditions really be any better?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 12:57

temporary21 wrote:Oh dear... I mean if it stops again will the court conditions really be any better?

If it stops I suspect it will be rather like cricket. Get the covers off and allow the court a few minutes to dry out and then back on with the action.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:02

no play until 2pm now...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:05

Mad for Chelsea wrote:no play until 2pm now...

That being the case I'd guess we are getting to the stage when Gasquet/Murray and Wawrinka/Ramos-Vinolas are rescheduled for tomorrow.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:06

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Apparently Rusedski made some comment along the lines that Djokovic and RBA shouldn't have played that set as it could affect Djokovic's chances in the tournament? Slightly odd IMO, conditions weren't great but they looked comfortably playable, and with the tournament already way behind schedule surely they should be looking to get matches on court whenever possible?
Yes, the organisers should be running the event primarily to protect the interests of the elite, I'm sure that's right.

picard

F***s sake, this sport is already more skewed towards mainaining the status quo than just about any other sport I can think of and now this numbskull is complaining they haven't gone further!

Did he mention the interests of Bautista-Agut?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:11

B'Star: "Wimbledon 2007 was a total shambles - with Nadal and Djokovic taking 5 days to finish their 3rd round matches and "middle sunday" being the only clear dry day from Saturday through to Thursday."

Some of the worst-ever scheduling in that 07 Wimbledon with organisers daily refusing to put Rafa's unfinished match on first. But no roof then, of course.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:18

Agree with Bogbrush and MFC, it is irrelevant who the conditions favour. The bottom line is - is the court playable?

Whether that favours Novak's opponent, Andy or Stans opponent... Irrelevant. Being able to handle different conditions is a skill. If a player doesn't have that skill, too bad.

I just want to see some tennis. If the conditions make it more unpredictable, great!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:22

Danny_1982 wrote:Agree with Bogbrush and MFC, it is irrelevant who the conditions favour. The bottom line is - is the court playable?

Whether that favours Novak's opponent, Andy or Stans opponent... Irrelevant. Being able to handle different conditions is a skill. If a player doesn't have that skill, too bad.

I just want to see some tennis. If the conditions make it more unpredictable, great!

I'd agree with that.

It is a delicate line to tread though. For fairness sake it is important that all 4th Round matches (not just one or two) get finished today so that all the players in that half of the draw get an equal amount of rest before their QF's.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:26

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Danny_1982 wrote:Agree with Bogbrush and MFC, it is irrelevant who the conditions favour. The bottom line is - is the court playable?

I'd agree with that.

It is a delicate line to tread though. For fairness sake it is important that all 4th Round matches (not just one or two) get finished today so that all the players in that half of the draw get an equal amount of rest before their QF's.
You can't do that Craig, you have to play as it comes. If one players gets a big break then that's how it is. If you try it the other way you open a Pandoras Box and will forever be tied up in knots trying to level up.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:31

bogbrush wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

I'd agree with that.

You can't do that Craig, you have to play as it comes. If one players gets a big break then that's how it is. If you try it the other way you open a Pandoras Box and will forever be tied up in knots trying to level up.

No I realize it can't always work out to be fair scheduling but ideally it should be and then excuses can't be made.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:32

Yeah but excuses are great. They, and their fallout are the life blood of this forum.

If I were you I'd be doing a rain dance, what with Murray a round ahead.

Last edited by bogbrush on Tue 31 May 2016 - 13:32; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next