The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open Day 13: It Paes to Have Cash

+17
yloponom68
sirfredperry
Josiah Maiestas
R!skysports
Jermaine2015
MrInvisible
Guest82
slashermcguirk
Lord Christobal
Born Slippy
Aut0Gr4ph
Danny_1982
CaledonianCraig
temporary21
Haddie-nuff
summerblues
Henman Bill
21 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

French Open Day 13: It Paes to Have Cash - Page 3 Empty French Open Day 13: It Paes to Have Cash

Post by Henman Bill Thu 02 Jun 2016, 10:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/schedule/

Kicking things off with the women's semis at 1pm (Paris time) we have Serena Williams vs Kiki Bertens and Garbine Muguruza vs Samantha Stosur.

Not before 3pm we have Stan vs Andy and Novak vs Thiem also simultaneous semis.

With the possible exception of the 1pm start time, I think a good scheduling, the right matches on the right courts in the right order there.

If 4 semis in a day isn't action packed enough, you can stay on for the mixed doubles final between Hingis/Paes and Mirza/Dodig. We also have the men's doubles semis -relegated to court 1 - Lopez/Lopez vs Dodig (again)/Melo and Bryan/Bryan vs Kubot/Peya. And the women's doubles semis!

If Serena Williams, Murray, Stan, Andy, Novak and Martinna Hingis aren't enough big names for you, some legends matches feature a star-studded line up including Cash, Mcenroe, Bruguera, Ivanisevic, Ferrero, Moya, Chang, Santoro, Kafelnikov, Novotna, Davenport, Navratilova and others that deserve to be on the list but I got tired or typing. Not that any of those matches ever seem to be shown on TV.

But how much of it will actually get played. Well on the down side looking at the BBC's weather forecast I see a lot of pictures of clouds. On the positive side I see no pictures of rain coming out of them. Anyway, why don't they just get a really big tarp and just stretch it across the whole event with a few poles in the middle. Job done.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 13: It Paes to Have Cash - Page 3 Empty Re: French Open Day 13: It Paes to Have Cash

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:01 pm

More history made by Andy Murray. Finalist at all 4 slams is no mean feat. Can he complete the surface set? All the pressure on Novak and Andy will probably never get a better chance. Just hoping he can do himself justice in the final. His trajectory of form over the course of the tournament is definitely encouraging.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 13: It Paes to Have Cash - Page 3 Empty Re: French Open Day 13: It Paes to Have Cash

Post by R!skysports Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:04 pm

Did not expect this result - and certainly not so easy

Well Done Andy

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:05 pm

All I can say about that is - superb performance.

I did say on the other thread that Andy had to play the match on his terms and he did that superbly. Served better than Stan, returned better and won the majority of the big points. Great win.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:05 pm

Prior to the final in Rome, you'd probably have given Murray a <10% chance of stopping the history chasing Djokovic...but Murray's riding an 11 match unbeaten run on clay and he's probably due a slam final win against Djokovic after all those Australian open defeats.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:05 pm

As long as Murray remains fit he will probably get another chance next year - same for Djokovic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:06 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:
temporary21 wrote:And murray has now reached the final of all 4 slams at least. Many would scoff at just making finals but it is s brilliant acheivement that sets him apart from satin and the others
That can of paint must be some tennis player...

Terrible joke, but we'll gloss over it.....

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:06 pm

Aut0Gr4ph wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:
temporary21 wrote:And murray has now reached the final of all 4 slams at least. Many would scoff at just making finals but it is s brilliant acheivement that sets him apart from satin and the others
That can of paint must be some tennis player...

Terrible joke, but we'll gloss over it.....
Very Happy

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:07 pm

Like wimby 2013 for Andy. This feels like Noles time. It would be a smash and grab job from Andy to win this and break novaks heart again. Not out of the question

Just the full set of finals though is a very proud thing. He's up against too many legends to win many of them, but he cements his place as a great even further today. Could it be even greater tomorrow?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:09 pm

temporary21 wrote:Like wimby 2013 for Andy.  This feels like Noles time. It would be a smash and grab job from Andy to win this and break novaks heart again. Not out of the question

Just the full set of finals though is a very proud thing. He's up against too many legends to win many of them, but he cements his place as a great even further today. Could it be even greater tomorrow?
Not really a fan of either, but aside from Murray's first and second round matches he's probably been the best player in the tournament.

Djokovic has been a bit ropey and rattled at times.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:09 pm

Even Pete Sampras did not make the final of all 4 slams. Still, different era (homogeneous debate) and all that.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:10 pm

Time to get out my art set.. These paint jokes are getting a little thin

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:10 pm

Is it just me or was Andy close to tears during that interview? A little surprising given the job's not done.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:12 pm

Aut0Gr4ph wrote:Is it just me or was Andy close to tears during that interview? A little surprising given the job's not done.
Considering it's his perceived weakest surface it's quite understandable

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:12 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Even Pete Sampras did not make the final of all 4 slams. Still, different era (homogeneous debate) and all that.
I think racket technology has played a greater part in levelling the courts - nowadays players just stand further back from the baseline and then play the passing shot, or cross court shot. The natural serve and volleyers become baseliners and it becomes a baseline game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:14 pm

Story of the match:

The dampness affected stan's bh's and his mentality meaning murray was allowed to return everything nadal style.

Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:16 pm

Any chance we can reinstate Socal for the final? I know he can be a repetitive windbag at times, but we're already short on Novak fans and the forum is not the same without him. Can't believe that HMM has maintained his self imposed exile also.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:19 pm

Why let Murray fans stand in the limelight for once... he chose to be where he is .. he will be back (too soon) soon enough

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:23 pm

He hasn't asked or anything.

Given its his match if the year. I could ask the admin to do that. I don't know if he'll see it or not though

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:24 pm

I'm tempted to see Socal back as well but...I didn't see the offending article so hard to comment on whether the week ban was fair or not. Anyway, you could ask the moderators directly by private message.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:26 pm

To be fair, I didn't see the offending thread that he created, although guessing not as egregious as Jahu's, as no lifetime ban.

Do you not enjoy getting into dust-ups with Socal and co then Haddie? You seem to get involved in a lot of them, so always assumed you relished a bit of needle.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:28 pm

Sometimes you get involved to defend yourself or a position, it does not mean that you enjoy it.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:32 pm

So Andy Murray has lost seven grand slam finals ... but Djokovic has lost eight grand slam finals. So that should make Andy Murray the slight favourite. Isn't statistics wonderful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:32 pm

Henman Bill wrote:I'm tempted to see Socal back as well but...I didn't see the offending article so hard to comment on whether the week ban was fair or not. Anyway, you could ask the moderators directly by private message.

It was fair but shortening it slightly so he's back for the final would be good.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:36 pm

temporary21 wrote:He hasn't asked or anything.

Given its his match if the year. I could ask the admin to do that.  I don't know if he'll see it or not though

Doubt he would care greatly, but no harm in trying. To be honest, unless someone is being outright offensive, the more posters the better in my book. It's not exactly hard to ignore irritating posters if you want to and Socal's colourful contributions tend to be quite entertaining.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:38 pm

Djokovic saying he played his best tennis of the tournament so far today.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:39 pm

Maybe we could let him out on day release for Sunday and then back to ban after. Is that an option? Who knows, he may be quite happy to take a break from the forum anyway.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:50 pm

Aut0Gr4ph wrote:To be fair, I didn't see the offending thread that he created, although guessing not as egregious as Jahu's, as no lifetime ban.

Do you not enjoy getting into dust-ups with Socal and co then Haddie? You seem to get involved in a lot of them, so always assumed you relished a bit of needle.

You must be joking if you think I like being bullied, intimidated and insulted because I do not agree with his self opinionated views ... no I don't.. And he doesn't like it because I respond ..and ill continue to do so. I think it is time some leeway was given to the Murray fans instead of being subjected to screeds of his opinions.. Just for once

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:52 pm

No doubt he's composing pages and pages of diatribe about the legendary rollover generation, which he can then copy and paste into a thread as soon as he's reinstated.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:56 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
Aut0Gr4ph wrote:To be fair, I didn't see the offending thread that he created, although guessing not as egregious as Jahu's, as no lifetime ban.

You must be joking if you think I like being bullied, intimidated and insulted because I do not agree with his self opinionated views ... no I don't.. And he doesn't like it because I respond ..and ill continue to do so. I think it is time some leeway was given to the Murray fans instead of being subjected to screeds of his opinions.. Just for once

I think you're kidding yourself if you think that Socal doesn't like a scrap. Controversy and scandal are his oxygen. The worse thing you could do is simply ignore him.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:58 pm

Aut0Gr4ph wrote:No doubt he's composing pages and pages of diatribe about the legendary rollover generation, which he can then copy and paste into a thread as soon as he's reinstated.

Please let us see out the FO and then he can have 606 to himself, he does anyway, he talks for the USA and then some
He deserved the ban for that article and Im surprised they only gave him a week.. so to reinstate him now would be a mockery of 606 but hey he does anyway.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 03 Jun 2016, 5:58 pm

Let's face it if Djokovic wins the French Open and Socal is reinstated on Wednesday we will all be having a look to see what he's written that day, even Haddie-Nuff.

I'm not certain it would be Wednesday, but just from memory I think it was around Wednesday that he got banned.

In other news, I have put up a separate thread for pre-match discussion on the final.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 03 Jun 2016, 6:06 pm

And Socal is, of course, an extreme example and I wouldn't for a second compare you with him Haddie. But, having lurked on this forum for a while, I think it's fair to say that, on average, you give as good as you get. That's not intended as a criticism by the way. Nothing could be more dull than a forum where we all existed in blissful harmony.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 03 Jun 2016, 6:06 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Let's face it if Djokovic wins the French Open and Socal is reinstated on Wednesday we will all be having a look to see what he's written that day, even Haddie-Nuff.

I'm not certain it would be Wednesday, but just from memory I think it was around Wednesday that he got banned.

In other news, I have put up a separate thread for pre-match discussion on the final.

Then you don't know me do you...you must be bliddy kidding if you think I give a tinker's cuss what that know it all has to say.
I have had one too many bully boys in my life to tolerate another
As soon as the FO is over Im outta here and my only wish is that Andy wins. Very Happy
God help 606

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jun 2016, 6:07 pm

Let's focus on the tennis.  I think Djokovic has to be the favourite for the title but Murray could make it interesting.  I am hoping the Delgado - Murray partnership becomes maybe permanent.  Whatever happens this should also give Murray a good platform for another assault at the Wimbledon title.  But first things first: the French Open final.

ps The same two players making it to the Australian Open final have made it to the French Open final. I wonder whether this year will be the year of the Djokovic - Murray rivalry.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 03 Jun 2016, 6:15 pm

Ok lets maybe not put him on trial whilst hes not here.
Ill ask to reinstate because its a special case. Of course it goes without saying if anyone feels bullied by him, therell be warnings.

It is the main issue, Socal clearly is a man for the scrap, so he probably doesnt realise when hes making the others uncomfortable, and its very hard to tell when its banter or not.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jun 2016, 6:15 pm

I have just looked at Rafael Nadal's year round results in the grand slams:

Wimbledon 2015: round two.
US Open 2015: round three.
Australian Open 2016: round one.
French Open 2016: round three.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 03 Jun 2016, 6:19 pm

A Tough 12 months for sure. TBf the last one wasnt because he was still out of form, he would have been a quarter or semi if his wrist held the way he was playing

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 03 Jun 2016, 6:22 pm

Some terrific tennis from Murray today. Hard to say whether Stan was below par because he played comparatively poorly or whether Andy did not ALLOW him to perform well.
One of Andy's best GS matches, certainly.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 03 Jun 2016, 6:24 pm

temporary21 wrote:Ok lets maybe not put him on trial whilst hes not here.
Ill ask to reinstate because its a special case. Of course it goes without saying if anyone feels bullied by him, therell be warnings.

It is the main issue, Socal clearly is a man for the scrap, so he probably doesnt realise when hes making the others uncomfortable, and its very hard to tell when its banter or not.

Fine, but lest we forget, Jahu, HE, LK...and almost BB.. Run  Good Luck ANDY  God knows I hope you win !!!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 03 Jun 2016, 6:32 pm

Rafa seemed ti improve in non slams end of 15 and start of 16 without being able to do so at slams.
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets to R4 or QF at Wimbledon.
At the very least he will be able to take advantage of a good draw.

That's assuming he's fit mind you, which must be in serious doubt. His injuries don't tend to be little ones you recover from quickly.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jun 2016, 6:35 pm

I think Rafael Nadals tough twelve months is perhaps an entire measure of where he is physically.  He is only 29 - actually it is his birthday today - he has just turned 30 ... he is less than a year older than Djokovic and Murray ... but he turned professional aged at 15 and it seems clear to some that it is his physical condition that is limiting him and this is not going to go away - a question of management rather than getting back to his earlier prime physical levels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 03 Jun 2016, 6:49 pm

Just watched the post-match Murray interview. He certainly doesn't buy into the homogenisation theory, although he would say that....

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Fri 03 Jun 2016, 6:52 pm

For Lydian's benefit, he also confirmed that he definitely isn't a tank.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jun 2016, 7:38 pm

Did socal get banned? Why?

Can someone pm with the details or even better the offending article. Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 03 Jun 2016, 7:44 pm

I think the moderator said that Socal wrote an article, allegedly to criticize one poster. The article was deleted before I saw it, but others saw it. Others know more.

He was banned for a week on approx. Wednesday.

That's all I know.

If you want to know more you can PM a mod.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Fri 03 Jun 2016, 7:46 pm

In keeping with the title of this thread - Paes!

Having won AO, SW19 & USO - they weren't seeded in Paris?! Anyway, glad to see they showed the Committee's poor decision to be, just that. Bowled through four seeded teams to win the title.

Wonder if SW19 will seed them?! LOL! Well done - Career Mixed Slam for Paes & Hingis individually, BUT ALSO, together a career Slam.

All finals set now - was sorry to Kuzzie out of the Women's Dubs, but good run here.

Murray - PLEASE show up on Sunday with what you "brought to the dance" today! IF Djokovic is going to complete HIS career Slam, at least let it be a dog fight through ALL SETS, and make him earn it in the final. Never hoped for a Murray win so much before!

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 03 Jun 2016, 8:09 pm

Well I thought that was a terrific performance from Murray today. The first set in particular was of the highest quality from both, easily the best set of tennis I've seen in this year's tournament. Second set Stan dipped a bit, but can't help but feel that was due to having played such a good first set for no reward. Murray had a slight lapse at the end of the third, albeit Stan got lucky with a couple of returns skidding off the line, but re-focussed superbly in the fourth. His mental attitude today was absolutely spot on.

Tactically, I think Murray was particularly good at being aggressive with his second shot on his service games. We know Stan chips in the returns off the first serve, and he took full advantage of that by getting the first strike in, and making sure Stan couldn't set himself for his big groundstrokes. Also mixed things up with judicious drop shots, and coming into the net fairly frequently. Helped that his serving and returning were both sharp (twice as many unreturned first serves as his opponent), but clearly Murray won the tactical battle today, and that left Wawrinka with nowhere to go.

Finally, if there's been a better single shot all tournament than Murray's ridiculous dropshot winner at 30-30 2-0 in the fourth, where Stan hits a pretty good attacking inside out FH, and Murray somehow has the audacity to play a dropshot on the rise from behind the baseline for a clean winner, then I'm sorry I missed it. Just the imagination to play that shot is remarkable, the execution simply stunning. Why I love watching Murray...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 03 Jun 2016, 8:38 pm

I have to say I didn't know Socal was banned and I'm getting a bit fed up of this banning policy that seems to have permeated these boards

I've actually no problem with Socal and agree with a lot of the hypocrisy and particularly the lack of respect Murray and Djoko are given 

Hope he comes back, we're losing too many good contributors

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 03 Jun 2016, 9:07 pm

Then go talk to the mods/admins and try to understand their point of view and what they have to juggle, instead of announcing a complaint and then doing nothing, or getting personal.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 03 Jun 2016, 9:08 pm

I don't agree here banbro. I didn't see the article but Socal made many inflammatory comments, as did Jahu, and I think the moderators have a right to ban if they see their rules being broken.

It's only a week ban anyway which is not that significant.

As an overall comment I think the moderation on this site is good as far as I can tell.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next