The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

+63
quinsforever
Engine#4
Hood83
captain carrantuohil
Sin é
Recwatcher16
TJ
Marshes
rapidsnowman
brennomac
Poorfour
rodders
Rugby Fan
ChequeredJersey
RiscaGame
WELL-PAST-IT
Hazel Sapling
carpet baboon
Exiledinborders
TheMildlyFranticLlama
ebop
Notch
Welly
BigGee
nathan
trebellbobaggins
Not grey and not a ghost
doctor_grey
formerly known as Sam
asoreleftshoulder
Anglobraveheart
Irish Londoner
No 7&1/2
Jimpy
Golden
international198
marty2086
Tattie Scones RRN
LondonTiger
aucklandlaurie
The Great Aukster
LeinsterFan4life
SecretFly
yappysnap
Pot Hale
toml
Biltong
True Raven
demosthenes
boomeranga
Cumbrian
nickj
profitius
mikey_dragon
PenfroPete
RDW
whocares
Majestic83
EWT Spoons
BamBam
eirebilly
lostinwales
George Carlin
67 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by George Carlin Mon 06 Jun 2016, 8:22 am

First topic message reminder :

Can't see a tournament thread, so here we go.
The 2016 World Rugby Under 20 Championship will be the ninth annual international rugby union competition for Under 20 national teams.

The event is being organised in England by rugby's governing body, World Rugby. A total of 12 nations will play in the tournament, which will be held at two venues in Greater Manchester—AJ Bell Stadium in Salford and Manchester City Academy Stadium in Manchester.

New Zealand will go into the tournament as defending champions.
Pool A: New Zealand, Wales, Ireland, Georgia

Match 5: 7 June 2016 Wales 25 - 26 Ireland
Match 3: 7 June 2016 New Zealand 55 - 0 Georgia
Match 10: 11 June 2016 New Zealand 24 - 33 Ireland
Match 11: 11 June 2016 Wales 10 - 9 Georgia
Match 17: 15 June 2016 Ireland v Georgia
Match 14: 15 June 2016 New Zealand v Wales

Pool B: England, Australia, Scotland, Italy

Match 2: 7 June 2016 Australia 10 - 15 Scotland
Match 6: 7 June 2016 England 48 - 10 Italy
Match 7: 11 June 2016 Australia 38 - 10 Italy
Match 12: 11 June 2016 England 44 - 0 Scotland
Match 16: 15 June 2016 Scotland v Italy
Match 15: 15 June 2016 England v Australia

Pool C: South Africa, France, Argentina, Japan

Match 1: 7 June 2016 France 15 - 24 Argentina
Match 4: 7 June 2016 South Africa 59 - 19 Japan
Match 8: 11 June 2016 France 46 - 14 Japan
Match 9: 11 June 2016 South Africa 13 - 19 Argentina
Match 13: 15 June 2016 Argentina v Japan
Match 18: 15 June 2016 South Africa v France

Good luck, everyone.


Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 12 Jun 2016, 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15103
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down


2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 20 Jun 2016, 10:12 pm

What I cannot understand is, if Prince Harry can kick like that, what the hell are Saints doing letting Hanrahan kick and miss when PH is playing.

That young man has a monster, but very accurate boot, just look at the territory gained from penalties even those only a couple of metres from the touch line.

Willis looks an absolute demon for the future and Evans looks ready for the Saxons now, already looks better than Kvesic.

With Mallinder, Williams and Marchant England's future backline looks electric, the forwards don't look bad either, how often do you see forwards running like backs and passing like backs - commit the tackler, pass, commit the tackler pass all the way down to the wing. Pity most clubs back lines cannot remember that simple move

WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Posts : 3170
Join date : 2011-06-01

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Jun 2016, 10:14 pm

It's progress for Ireland at the right level...and that's the bonus. For too long we've often looked out of our depth at this age group and I think you really do need to be competing hard at this competition to prove you have the right kind of players coming through into senior roles.
Winning the competition would be the extra bonus Wink The cherry on top.

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 20 Jun 2016, 10:25 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:With Mallinder, Williams and Marchant England's future backline looks electric,

Marchant's ridiculous kick to the Bok 11 almost shocked them into recovery alright.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5246
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by Sin é Mon 20 Jun 2016, 10:31 pm

Interesting to see how the U20s dressing room sing song after winning is a rousing 'Fields of Athenry'. Weird, with so many Leinster & Ulster players on the team Smile

Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 20 Jun 2016, 10:36 pm

So many Ulster players?

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5246
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by Sin é Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:08 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:So many Ulster players?

At least 3 anyway! But there are 11 Leinster players in the 23 today. I saw a video of them doing it after the All Blacks game as well. Seems to be the team song.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by Notch Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:14 pm

I've been going down to Ireland games and singing the Fields of Athenry since I was a kid. Not weird at all it would be the team song.

What is weird is geographically challenged Munster fans adopting it as "their" song Wink
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:24 pm

Let's hope they're singing it after the Final.

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:27 pm

Gets sung in Cork, Dublin and Sunbury at various times and quite right too. Written by a Dubliner about a place 25 ks from Galway and adopted by Munster - it's got something for most, has Athenry, and it beats the sh1te out of Ireland's Call as something to sing.

captain carrantuohil

Posts : 2506
Join date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by Pot Hale Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:39 pm

Oh let's not big up the beefeaters.


Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7339
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 59
Location : Ireland East

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by doctor_grey Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:04 am

Wow.  I watched the England-SA match this afternoon.  This England side is very good.  

I didn't see the Ireland-Argie match, but it must have been downhill for the Argie lads after their national anthem.  Ireland also put up a score.  The final should be a lot of fun.

doctor_grey

Posts : 9616
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by Exiledinborders Tue 21 Jun 2016, 7:07 am

Things look good for the future of English Rugby. The early years of the tournament (2008-2012) were dominated by the Baby Blacks with four wins and a second. Since then the tournament has been dominated by England with two wins and a second and now a place in the final.

It will be interesting to see if this translates into similar success for the senior team over the next few years.

Exiledinborders

Posts : 1625
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : Scottish Borders

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by LondonTiger Tue 21 Jun 2016, 7:58 am

Exiledinborders wrote:Things look good for the future of English Rugby.  The early years of the tournament (2008-2012) were dominated by the Baby Blacks with four wins and a second. Since then the tournament has been dominated by England with two wins and a second and now a place in the final.

It will be interesting to see if this translates into similar success for the senior team over the next few years.

As England have made 7 of the 9 finals (and with age group rugby being more influenced by large playing base not unexpected) it is fair to say the JWC success has so far had little impact on RWC performance.
Admittedly not too many of the Clifford and Braley/Itoje led squads had filtered through by 2015 RWC, but most of the current squad in Australia have played in a JWC final.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 23485
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by Sin é Tue 21 Jun 2016, 8:53 am

Notch wrote:I've been going down to Ireland games and singing the Fields of Athenry since I was a kid. Not weird at all it would be the team song.

What is weird is geographically challenged Munster fans adopting it as "their" song Wink

What is more weird is that if you were not historically challenged, you would know that Trevelyn's corn was stored in corn stores in Cork to be shipped out to England and the place where Michael was stealing the corn from.

Meanwhile, the Irish watched with increasing anger as boatloads of homegrown oats and grain departed on schedule from their shores for shipment to England. Food riots erupted in ports such as Youghal, near Cork, where people tried unsuccessfully to confiscate a boatload of oats. At Dungarvan, in County Waterford, British troops were pelted with stones and fired 26 shots into the crowd, killing two people and wounding several others. British naval escorts were then provided for the riverboats.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by eirebilly Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:29 am

For some that may have not seen the match, a short highlights video here for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6znrpPGlYmQ

As for Fields of Athenry, we all know where it originates but to me that matters feic all. Its just a powerful song with a tune made for stadiums. Don't care who sings it, its simply a great song thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24719
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 50
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by marty2086 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:36 am

doctor_grey wrote:Wow.  I watched the England-SA match this afternoon.  This England side is very good.  

I didn't see the Ireland-Argie match, but it must have been downhill for the Argie lads after their national anthem.  Ireland also put up a score.  The final should be a lot of fun.

This looks like the weakest England side for a while, when SA got going in the second half and moved the ball they exposed England which is one of Irelands strengths

Some day of rugby ahead on Saturday now Yahoo

marty2086

Posts : 11208
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 35
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by LondonTiger Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:03 am

The JWC England side looks the most skillful team I can ever remember us putting out at this age group. It is a much better team than that Ireland faced in the 6Ns.

Plus I feel you put far too much emphasis on what happened when SA were already 5 tries down (plus had a player advantage).

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 23485
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by rodders Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:28 am

Really impressed with the Ireland side - I think we have a great chance on winning overall.

England look very powerful though so think it will be a great final. By far the 2 best sides.

Really stunned at how poor the baby boks were, they just seemed to roll over and were absolutely demolished physically - what is going on with SA rugby?

From an Ulster perspective really glad to see Stockdale stand out so well.

I thought he looked pretty ponderous for Ulster, with fairly poor skills, but at this level has shown a real turn of pace and power - not convinced this will scale up to senior level though but I hope it does.

The Irish U-18s in general have looked very well drilled and skillful so kudos to the coaching team.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25501
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:30 am

Let's none of us do an Eddie Jones on the build up to this one. Cool

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by marty2086 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:40 am

LondonTiger wrote:The JWC England side looks the most skillful team I can ever remember us putting out at this age group. It is a much better team than that Ireland faced in the 6Ns.

Plus I feel you put far too much emphasis on what happened when SA were already 5 tries down (plus had a player advantage).

I think the 2013 boys were better, Slade, Nowell, Clifford, Moriarty, Cowan-Dickie and Watson

I think they are a talented bunch but have some weaknesses that can be exploited

I don't think its the most talented bunch Ireland have had but its the strongest group

marty2086

Posts : 11208
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 35
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by rodders Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:41 am

Predictions for super Saturday

SA domicile select XV 20 - Ireland 21
Ireland - u-20s 50  - England u-125kgs 0
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25501
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 40

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:46 am

You always felt that Wales and NZ had one good performance in them after playing poorly. I guess the Baby Blacks' one came yesterday and Wales' is yet to come.... A few teams have been disappointing in this competition, these two included, but I've never imagined us going to a JWC with such a good coach and group of good players and do so badly. The forwards have mostly been okay, our backs are shocking and struggle to pass the ball to more than two players; the NZ U20 coach alluded to this last week. Losing Watkin, Beard and Giles must have also hit the team pretty hard. The verdict is still out on Jason Strange for me.

England, Ireland and Argentina have been good in this competition. England's turnaround from being chumps is quite remarkable, they also had a kind fixture list I think which helped build momentum. Ireland have never looked back since pinching that opening game from Wales, they've not only gone through each test since, they've smashed it. Good to see another NH final, but time for a new winner I think. Good luck to both teams.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12767
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by Biltong Tue 21 Jun 2016, 11:04 am

rodders wrote:Predictions for super Saturday

SA domicile select XV 20 - Ireland 21
Ireland - u-20s 50  - England u-125kgs 0

over 125kg's Whistle
Biltong
Biltong
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 26945
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : Twilight zone

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 21 Jun 2016, 11:36 am

marty2086 wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:The JWC England side looks the most skillful team I can ever remember us putting out at this age group. It is a much better team than that Ireland faced in the 6Ns.

Plus I feel you put far too much emphasis on what happened when SA were already 5 tries down (plus had a player advantage).

I think the 2013 boys were better, Slade, Nowell, Clifford, Moriarty, Cowan-Dickie and Watson

I think they are a talented bunch but have some weaknesses that can be exploited

I don't think its the most talented bunch Ireland have had but its the strongest group

This generation seem more skillful at the breakdown but lack the game management of that era. The lack of a back three firebrand is also not helping us.

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 16625
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 34
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by Marshes Tue 21 Jun 2016, 11:56 am

I have to say some of the skills that have been filtering through the Connacht academy for the past two years with Carolan you can see being instilled in the u20s. There is a real emphasis on looking to hit space rather than just seeking contact, and players looking to keep the ball alive.

Some absolutely animals for ball carriers in there as well. Porter looks to the manor born, I think one of him or Dooley shout seek out opportunities either in one of the other provinces, they are good enough but have too much traffic ahead of them at Leinster at LH. Would get either in at Connacht.




Marshes

Posts : 807
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by doctor_grey Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:37 pm

LondonTiger wrote:The JWC England side looks the most skillful team I can ever remember us putting out at this age group. It is a much better team than that Ireland faced in the 6Ns.

Plus I feel you put far too much emphasis on what happened when SA were already 5 tries down (plus had a player advantage).
Agree completely. When the game was still revving up the England team was terrific. Loking at how they played against Australia when points were tough, they played under control and with solid Rugby skills. Outside of that, they haveen't really been tested in this tournament. How does one quantify performances when a team dominates by such margins?

doctor_grey

Posts : 9616
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:42 pm

doctor_grey wrote:  How does one quantify performances when a team dominates by such margins?  

Pretty F**king Good Side!!!

That's how I'd calibrate it.

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by doctor_grey Tue 21 Jun 2016, 3:04 pm

SecretFly wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:  How does one quantify performances when a team dominates by such margins?  

Pretty F**king Good Side!!!

That's how I'd calibrate it.
For the sake of decorum, I will presume you are using the term 'F**king' as an adjective and not a verb.
In that context, I would concur with your concise and spot on analysis..........

doctor_grey

Posts : 9616
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by marty2086 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:29 pm

Marshes wrote:I have to say some of the skills that have been filtering through the Connacht academy for the past two years with Carolan you can see being instilled in the u20s. There is a real emphasis on looking to hit space rather than just seeking contact, and players looking to keep the ball alive.

Some absolutely animals for ball carriers in there as well. Porter looks to the manor born, I think one of him or Dooley shout seek out opportunities either in one of the other provinces, they are good enough but have too much traffic ahead of them at Leinster at LH. Would get either in at Connacht.


I've noticed with the senior squad and Ulster theres more of an emphasis of avoiding contact so maybe an overall coaching approach they are bringing through the whole setup, maybe they should put Carolan with Rob Kearney for a while

marty2086

Posts : 11208
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 35
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:57 pm

Nucifora's systems beginning to show their face???

Whisper it --- Sin might be about............. Run

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:58 pm

Rob Kearney paid for Graham Henry - he don't need Carolan. Next year is the year of his rebirth.

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by Marshes Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:59 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Marshes wrote:I have to say some of the skills that have been filtering through the Connacht academy for the past two years with Carolan you can see being instilled in the u20s. There is a real emphasis on looking to hit space rather than just seeking contact, and players looking to keep the ball alive.

Some absolutely animals for ball carriers in there as well. Porter looks to the manor born, I think one of him or Dooley shout seek out opportunities either in one of the other provinces, they are good enough but have too much traffic ahead of them at Leinster at LH. Would get either in at Connacht.


I've noticed with the senior squad and Ulster theres more of an emphasis of avoiding contact so maybe an overall coaching approach they are bringing through the whole setup, maybe they should put Carolan with Rob Kearney for a while


Its the right approach for the modern game, bosh merchants can't last a full career no matter how big they are anymore. Pity this approach was not around when Ireland were flogging the likes of SOB, Ferris and Healy, they might have avoided such punishment to their bodies.

Marshes

Posts : 807
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 Jun 2016, 5:02 pm

It wasn't for the want of most of us (fans and media) always asking for it and saying it's the only way forward.....

We have been asking. The request - hopefully - has finally made it to the desk of IRFU inc.

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by Hood83 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:42 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:The JWC England side looks the most skillful team I can ever remember us putting out at this age group. It is a much better team than that Ireland faced in the 6Ns.

Plus I feel you put far too much emphasis on what happened when SA were already 5 tries down (plus had a player advantage).

I think the 2013 boys were better, Slade, Nowell, Clifford, Moriarty, Cowan-Dickie and Watson

I think they are a talented bunch but have some weaknesses that can be exploited

I don't think its the most talented bunch Ireland have had but its the strongest group

This generation seem more skillful at the breakdown but lack the game management of that era. The lack of a back three firebrand is also not helping us.

That'd be my take, better at the breakdown in defence. Possibly worse than a couple of Walshe teams at clearing out. Poorer handling skills and running lines from the backs but better handling from the forwards. So a mixed bag. Definitely far less raw talent. No-one stands out for me.

Hood83

Posts : 2751
Join date : 2011-06-12

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by yappysnap Wed 22 Jun 2016, 5:49 pm

Interesting RFU video on some of the current England Int players and their U20 roots.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/9150ef92-e972-433a-8784-ae17a8a3e3cf

yappysnap

Posts : 11757
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 33
Location : Christchurch, NZ

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 25 Jun 2016, 3:49 pm

Arg leading RSA 30-19, it would be good to see them hold on for the win and get some new names on the trophy. I'm also hoping Ireland triumph later on for the same reasons - the two best teams in this tournament for me.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12767
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 25 Jun 2016, 3:50 pm

I also think Scotland will win and heap further misery on Wales in what must be their worst ever return in the JWC.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12767
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by Engine#4 Sat 25 Jun 2016, 4:38 pm

Sin é wrote:
Notch wrote:I've been going down to Ireland games and singing the Fields of Athenry since I was a kid. Not weird at all it would be the team song.

What is weird is geographically challenged Munster fans adopting it as "their" song Wink

What is more weird is that if you were not historically challenged, you would know that Trevelyn's corn was stored in corn stores in Cork to be shipped out to England and the place where Michael was stealing the corn from.

Meanwhile, the Irish watched with increasing anger as boatloads of homegrown oats and grain departed on schedule from their shores for shipment to England. Food riots erupted in ports such as Youghal, near Cork, where people tried unsuccessfully to confiscate a boatload of oats. At Dungarvan, in County Waterford, British troops were pelted with stones and fired 26 shots into the crowd, killing two people and wounding several others. British naval escorts were then provided for the riverboats.


Actually 'Trevelyan's Corn' refers to the imported corn from America that Peel purchased and sent over as famine relief, not Irish grown crops exported exclusively from Munster ports. Trevelyan was in charge of administering famine relief. Nice try though thumbsup

Engine#4

Posts : 563
Join date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Jun 2016, 6:10 pm

Well after Irelands loss against SA and England's whitewash of the Aussies its a good time for the U20 Irish lads to win this match.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24719
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 50
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 25 Jun 2016, 6:53 pm

I was wrong, Wales get a little bit of redemption by humping Scotland, I was a bit disappointed by the Scots results as I thought they could have done better. Making changes to the team early in the group stages ruined their opportunity to build momentum - look at what England have done with a bit of momentum behind them. And Arg humped SA to take third place - their 13 looks like he could be a future star. 

Good luck Ireland, the trophy needs a new name.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12767
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Jun 2016, 6:56 pm

Good man yourself there mikey thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24719
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 50
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Jun 2016, 7:20 pm

Well this looks like its only going to go one way...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24719
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 50
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 25 Jun 2016, 7:41 pm

Well they did well to get this far...

LeinsterFan4life

Posts : 5552
Join date : 2012-03-13
Age : 31
Location : Meath

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by quinsforever Sat 25 Jun 2016, 7:53 pm

wow england looking impressive first half.

quinsforever

Posts : 6764
Join date : 2013-10-10

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by eirebilly Sat 25 Jun 2016, 7:53 pm

England are just too good LF4L, just thought that Ireland may have it in them to win this. Some very good talent there for Ireland and a few certain future senior representatives.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Posts : 24719
Join date : 2011-02-09
Age : 50
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by quinsforever Sat 25 Jun 2016, 7:59 pm

never thought i'd say this...but...cmon ireland Hug

quinsforever

Posts : 6764
Join date : 2013-10-10

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by Golden Sat 25 Jun 2016, 8:05 pm

Fantastic run by Stockdale there. Great try.

Golden

Posts : 3368
Join date : 2011-09-06

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 25 Jun 2016, 8:07 pm

eirebilly wrote:England are just too good LF4L, just thought that Ireland may have it in them to win this. Some very good talent there for Ireland and a few certain future senior representatives.
Yeah would like to see Porter, Ryan and Deegan get games in the Pro 12 in the near future. They look like potential stars.

LeinsterFan4life

Posts : 5552
Join date : 2012-03-13
Age : 31
Location : Meath

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by quinsforever Sat 25 Jun 2016, 8:17 pm

maybe the aviva experience of some of the english lads is the main difference. mallinder seems incapable of making a wrong decision or bad kick.

quinsforever

Posts : 6764
Join date : 2013-10-10

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 25 Jun 2016, 8:19 pm

Interesting to see if eng cam overcome their conquerors from the 6N here.  They have started well but that try off the bad bounce shows the danger of Ireland.  Game on.

trebellbobaggins

Posts : 4943
Join date : 2011-06-03

Back to top Go down

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: 2016 World Rugby U20 Championship - Tournament Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum