The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euro 2016 Discussion

+38
Afro
daraghj82
President Trump
Roller_Coaster
Dave.
Mad for Chelsea
nadeem2099
Marky
brennomac
Fernando
Scottrf
Rowley
temporary21
alfie
Adam D
MIG
dyrewolfe
compelling and rich
LivinginItaly
whocares
Lowlandbrit
kingraf
Holymiky
Jermaine2015
Dolphin Ziggler
Nico the gman
SecretFly
guildfordbat
Ent
owen10ozzy
GSC
Crimey
Stella
Hero
westisbest
Duty281
Hammersmith harrier
Good Golly I'm Olly
42 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Euro 2016 Discussion Empty Euro 2016 Discussion

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 10:54

Duty281 wrote:Sterling and Rooney have been woeful thus far and need to be dropped (but 1 of them certainly won't be), but I would favour giving Kane one final chance. He's had an excellent couple of seasons, and England shouldn't jettison him at the first sign of difficulty.

Rooney woeful? I'm not his biggest fan but he's been pretty good so far, working well alongside Dier allowing Alli to push on further
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Euro 2016 Discussion Empty Re: Euro 2016 Discussion

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 10:55

Duty281 wrote:Sterling and Rooney have been woeful thus far and need to be dropped (but 1 of them certainly won't be), but I would favour giving Kane one final chance. He's had an excellent couple of seasons, and England shouldn't jettison him at the first sign of difficulty.

Have you watched the games or you just continuing your anti Rooney stance you've had all season?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 10:58

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

Rooney woeful? I'm not his biggest fan but he's been pretty good so far, working well alongside Dier allowing Alli to push on further

Utterly atrocious.

He came into the game a bit into the second half, but that was only because Wales dropped deeper. He's far too much of a lightweight in the centre of midfield, and will be dispossessed with embarrassing ease on a regular basis the first time England come up against a decent side (Portugal in the Quarters, as looks likely). He struggles to make any incisive passes - though the commentators do have a collective orgasm when he pings a 40-yard sideways pass - and doesn't get forward enough.

Please, Roy, please drop him for super Jack.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 11:03

Duty281 wrote:

Utterly atrocious.

He came into the game a bit into the second half, but that was only because Wales dropped deeper. He's far too much of a lightweight in the centre of midfield, and will be dispossessed with embarrassing ease on a regular basis the first time England come up against a decent side (Portugal in the Quarters, as looks likely). He struggles to make any incisive passes - though the commentators do have a collective orgasm when he pings a 40-yard sideways pass - and doesn't get forward enough.

Wilshire.

Mr happy.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 11:20

https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/BringRaheemHome

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 11:20

Duty281 wrote:

Utterly atrocious.

I thought some of your posts on the EU were funny but you're now becoming a parody character.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 11:25

Hero wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Utterly atrocious.

I thought some of your posts on the EU were funny but you're now becoming a parody character.

I'm old these days, I see things for how they truly are.

There are no benefits to the EU, and there are also no benefits to Wayne Rooney being in the England side*

*And we shall all witness this when England come up against a decent technical side.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 11:26

Rooney could we struggle against a top midfield but he has played well so far, duty.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 11:29

John wrote:https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/BringRaheemHome

Laugh joke of a player

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 11:32

Stella wrote:Rooney could we struggle against a top midfield but he has played well so far, duty.

He might struggle but the alternatives aren't exactly world class so he's in the side on merit, Duty clearly expects him to be the reincarnation of Pirlo or Xavi.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 11:44

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Stella wrote:Rooney could we struggle against a top midfield but he has played well so far, duty.

He might struggle but the alternatives aren't exactly world class so he's in the side on merit, Duty clearly expects him to be the reincarnation of Pirlo or Xavi.

We do have Milner!!!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 12:59

He plays half-decent when under no duress, like in the second half against Wales or most of the game versus Russia. When pressured, he plays at an appalling standard, and resorts to pinging hollywood passes, as he doesn't have the presence of mind to play intelligent short passes.

Most people, it seems, can't see this, even in light of how obvious it is. I mean, look at Keown's player ratings from yesterday:

WAYNE ROONEY (captain): Was excellent pulling the strings and I think we take him for granted. The way he punched the ball from sideline to sideline reminded me of Paul Scholes, and it was punishing for Wales. 8.5

Good Lord! Laugh

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 13:03

I think that's more down to you coming to a conclusion before the games and sticking to it afterwards regardless of how he plays but the laughing smiley really does reinforce your point so well done there.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 13:06

I don't agree that Rooney has been appalling, but I do think he's been slightly overrated by the media and people on here. I think he hasn't really been tested, and I worry about his quality when/if England do get tested later on in the tournament. He's a bit sloppy with his passes and I think he lacks real vision to split a defence. 

I do think Wilshere or Henderson would be more effective against better sides, but appreciate that Rooney hasn't done anything to deserve being dropped.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 13:07

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I think that's more down to you coming to a conclusion before the games and sticking to it afterwards regardless of how he plays but the laughing smiley really does reinforce your point so well done there.

Nothing could be further from the truth. It seems the media, and indeed some fans, have some form of collective amnesia and have decided to ignore Rooney's first-half performance, which was diabolical.

Reminds me of Gerrard's woeful performance in the Champions League Final of 2005, but hey, everyone's forgotten that as well!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 13:09

Rooney is second only to Ryan Giggs when it comes to all time assists in the Premier League but I fully agree he lacks vision.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 13:09

Duty281 wrote:Reminds me of Gerrard's woeful performance in the Champions League Final of 2005, but hey, everyone's forgotten that as well!

I've watched that match multiple times, and that's just ludicrous. You can't single out Gerrard at all in that first half. AC Milan were absolutely fantastic, he barely got a chance to do anything. Then in the second half, he played three or four different positions and dragged Liverpool to win the Champions League, so obviously the focus is not going to be on the first half. Nobody in the Liverpool team played well in the first 45 minutes, but not sure Gerrard played particularly badly.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 13:12

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Rooney is second only to Ryan Giggs when it comes to all time assists in the Premier League but I fully agree he lacks vision.

To be fair, he's played the majority of his career much further up the pitch where the vision required is much different. Playing deeper means he has a lot more players between him and the goal and I'm not sure I've seen any evidence that he can break through the defence. He isn't a particularly good dribbler of the ball, he doesn't have fantastic accuracy in through balls. His main technique is to get the ball, then spread it out wide. Which is fine, if that's his role, but I do think he lacks the qualities needed to be a top central midfielder right now.

I do think if he plays there consistently for Manchester United in central midfield this year, he'll get better. But right now, I'm not convinced that he won't get run all over against a better side.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 13:21

Crimey wrote:I don't agree that Rooney has been appalling, but I do think he's been slightly overrated by the media and people on here. I think he hasn't really been tested, and I worry about his quality when/if England do get tested later on in the tournament. He's a bit sloppy with his passes and I think he lacks real vision to split a defence.

That's the key point here. Rooney has faced Russia's B midfield & the wonderful duo of Ledley & Allen. The same story goes with Walker, he hasn't had to defend whatsoever in this tournament so far, so it was quite clear, that these two in particular, would benefit & be given the freedom to express themselves & impress. As far as I'm concerned, I fear both will be found out later in the tournament, maybe even Rose, but seeing as UEFA have increased the tournament, we now have to endure this phase of 'removing' the woeful teams, something that the qualifying campaign is designed for. This tournament isn't going to start until the QF, you could see the Germans in first gear last night, knowing they've basically qualified with a point. England will probably face Romania in the second round & again, Rooney will look class. It's the bit after that, where the reality kicks in & Duty's belief most of our side will be shown up, will no doubt, ring true.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 13:23

Deep lying midfielders aren't the creative hub of a team, they're there to get the ball off the defence and spread the play, it's the role of the number 10 to produce the chances and I actually think Alli has been failing in that role somewhat.

Wilshere would be in the team if he could a) stay fit and b) prove he could do it consistently, he's a a liability as a starter because you expect him to break down at any point.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 13:24

I don't think anyone thinks Rooney will dominate and pick apart an Italy, but to suggest he has been woeful thus far is mental.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:03

Service like that was missing for Sweden against Ireland. A few more and Zlatan may pounce.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:07

I wouldn't call Rooney deep lying! The role of the ten is to link the play between the midfield and the usually lone striker. To be able to link that play he has to receive the ball from the two central midfielders (be it 2 CM's or 1 cm & 1 dm) I agree that Alli hasn't imposed himself on the game yet but to say Rooney shouldn't be looking to play key through balls is a bit silly.

Pirlo, Iniesta, Xavi..just a few players who don't play number 10 position but more a CM role yet they are incisive and clinical with their passing.

I don't think Rooney has been woeful but like duty, seen enough in his game to suggest he's going to struggle when it comes to the better sides in the tournament.

Hoping Italy can pick up another win today, enjoyed watching them last week.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:13

Could do with an Italy win here

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:14

Generous foul for Italy against Zlatan there
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:15

owen10ozzy wrote:I wouldn't call Rooney deep lying! The role of the ten is to link the play between the midfield and the usually lone striker. To be able to link that play he has to receive the ball from the two central midfielders (be it 2 CM's or 1 cm & 1 dm) I agree that Alli hasn't imposed himself on the game yet but to say Rooney shouldn't be looking to play key through balls is a bit silly.

Pirlo, Iniesta, Xavi..just a few players who don't play number 10 position but more a CM role yet they are incisive and clinical with their passing.

I don't think Rooney has been woeful but like duty, seen enough in his game to suggest he's going to struggle when it comes to the better sides in the tournament.

Iniesta did play the 10 role quite frequently and was nothing like Pirlo or Xavi who played far too deep to be compared to him.

Neither Pirlo or Xavi weren't the creative hub of their teams, they made things tick, keeping the ball moving and making sure the creative players got the ball in dangerous areas. Neither of them consistently assisted and would be expected to assist no more than a handful of goals each season, you've got the role they played completely wrong.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:16

owen10ozzy wrote:

Who are you and what have you done to Owen Whistle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:19

Sweden look decent here.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:23

2 Italian players grabbing 1 Sweden players shirt simultaneously, Italy get the free kick
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:24

Sweden don't have the ability or the players to exploit Italy's weaknesses, so the Italians should be comfortable here.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:25

Zlatans been close to breaking down their strength a couple of times already Duty so I wouldn't be too sure.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:27

Slow start from Italy, and this whistle-happy referee isn't helping.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:28

Hes helping the Italians more than the Swedes!
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:32

I think Belgium have flattered what is a very poor Italian side, they've offered nothing going forward.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:32

Italys midfield haven't gotten into this game so far and their attack is isolated as a result. Kallstrom and someone I can't spell the name of are dominating the middle so far.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:33

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I think Belgium have flattered what is a very poor Italian side, they've offered nothing going forward.

Be careful about being quoted on that Wink
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:34

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
owen10ozzy wrote:I wouldn't call Rooney deep lying! The role of the ten is to link the play between the midfield and the usually lone striker. To be able to link that play he has to receive the ball from the two central midfielders (be it 2 CM's or 1 cm & 1 dm) I agree that Alli hasn't imposed himself on the game yet but to say Rooney shouldn't be looking to play key through balls is a bit silly.

Iniesta did play the 10 role quite frequently and was nothing like Pirlo or Xavi who played far too deep to be compared to him.

Neither Pirlo or Xavi weren't the creative hub of their teams, they made things tick, keeping the ball moving and making sure the creative players got the ball in dangerous areas. Neither of them consistently assisted and would be expected to assist no more than a handful of goals each season, you've got the role they played completely wrong.

Think pirlo and Xavi both have more assists than iniesta.

Turning defense into attack and the pass before the assist overlooked.

Rooney is crap in cm, gives the ball away too easily and isn't incisive enough.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:35

Think Italy were flattered by a poor Belgium in their first game. Sweden playing better than they did against Ireland, but nothing particularly special. 

Think this may be heading for a boring draw. Italy will be happy with the point, Sweden don't have the quality to break them down.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:36

GSC wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:I think Belgium have flattered what is a very poor Italian side, they've offered nothing going forward.

Be careful about being quoted on that Wink

I've got money of them so hoping I can reverse jinx them into action.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:38

For most of their careers Xavi and Pirlo weren't deep lying playmakers anyway. Xavi in particular during Peps time in charge.

Rooneys role in this team is clearly to pick the ball up from the CBs and offer an outlet behind for the wingers and Alli. Then get England moving forward by finding the free man. An occasional burst from deep is a bonus. Hes doing that well.

Englands opponents have sat deep which is allowing Rooney time on the ball, but similarly are making it very difficult to break them down. Hell we've seen Barca struggle to break down teams like Celtic, its very difficult to break down a well marshalled team prepared to sit deep and soak up pressure.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:40

Zlatan is two or three steps above every attacking player on the pitch today.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:44

Sweden are a below-average side, and any half-decent team should lay waste to them with considerable ease and aplomb.

Which is why Italy are such a frustrating team to watch, today. Play the thing on the ground, stop lumping it upfield to the Swedish keeper.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:46

This is more like the Italy some (including me Wink) expected to see at this tournament. Very experienced, very good at the back, but its an ordinary group in front of them.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:48

Italy have probably looked at the dodgy second round draw they've been given & don't actually want to win this group Laugh

Last edited by LiamB on Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:50; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 14:49

Sweden look up for it though. Been a big improvement on their last game.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 15:04

That was pretty naughty
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 15:19

Why have I got their role wrong Hammer? What role would you say they played & what role do you think Rooney is being asked to play/which past or present player do you feel has a comparable role?

If Rooney's role is to pick the ball off the CB and also provide an outlet for Alli & the wingers...then arguably his role is as Cental midfield working between the lines of defensive unit and the offensive unit...if that's the case then his role isn't merely to switch the play to the wings and provide 30 yard passes side to side...

You say neither Xavi or Pirlo were the creative hubs of there team..yet the statistics would suggest that couldn't be further from the truth...

Pirlo - From 2001-08 ...271 games 22 assists 5 goals
From 2008-15 ... 326 games 62 assists 31 goals

Xavi - From 2001-08... 291 games 15 assists 35 goals
From 2008-14... 338 games 109 assists 56 goals

Interestingly in both cases when the two players became more deep lying midfielders they became more potent in their ability to create chances. So, if as you said earlier, Rooney's role is as a deep lying midfielder the argument that he isn't their to create chances doesn't ring true. He still has a duty as a midfielder to make incisive passes and get the ball forward both quikcly and clinically in order for our offensive options to get in behind or pick up the ball in dangerous areas in the final 3rd.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 15:20

GSC wrote:Sweden look up for it though. Been a big improvement on their last game.

Agreed. Not great though for Westy and his Irish Republic boys. A point today would be a bonus for Sweden and make qualification harder for the Irish.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 15:27

Both Xavi and Pirlo ended up with less than 50 league assists each, considering they both played over 500 games that's hardly the sign of a creative player, your stats are well off. Their role in the team was to give things moving, tick tock tick tock, they were metronomic when at their best. The same is also true of Scholes and Alonso who played the same deep lying role.

Rooney's role in the team is to do exactly what Hodgson asks him to do and that quite clearly is to switch the play to the wings at the earliest opportunity, your idea of what a central midfielder now does seems stuck in the 80's, players don't play like Bryan Robson any more.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 15:33

Get up FFS.

Book these cnts for play acting.

Pathetic

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content