The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+22
dynamark
Hibbz
Eyetoldyouso
1GrumpyGolfer
Be_the_ball
Shotrock
Mad for Chelsea
Roller_Coaster
Yadsendew
MontysMerkin
I'm never wrong
Davie
raycastleunited
McLaren
kwinigolfer
navyblueshorts
JAS
super_realist
pedro
SmithersJones
westisbest
beninho
26 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Fri 17 Jun 2016, 2:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

McLaren wrote:
beninho wrote:Having concerns about EU immigration does not make you a far right nutter or xenophobe. Mclaren, what is your knowledge on EU immigration, what dealings do you have with it? Can you see why people may have concerns about it?

Unless your concerns about how we can offer a more humane immigration system then you are xenophobe.  If you are worried about the geographical location of where someone popped out of a uterus then you are not thinking rationally.

And no, I cannot see why anyone would have any issue with the current levels of immigration to/from the UK.  Unless as I said above you are worried about how some people coming here are treated.

Do you not agree that an expanding population due to EU immigration, would lead to an extra burden on the NHS, housing, benefit and other public services aswell as the rise in rents?

Do you think that EU immigration, where people get fake payslips in order to claim benefits, working tax credits child tax credits and housing assistance? Or people that work minimal hours and tdo not pay any tax or nino who then can claim housing and benefit assistance? Or people that illegally overstay in the country, in order to achieve a loophole and gain housing or benefit assistance.

All of these are ongoing issues, though you did not answer my question in the first place.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 23 Jun 2016, 1:16 pm

super_realist wrote:It's just as well that there are 3 going through as if it were 16 teams to begin with, on those results, England might already be out.
As oppose to not being there in the first place laughing
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 23 Jun 2016, 1:42 pm

Yadsendew wrote:
I wonder how the Russian organisers will deal with these potential dark age issues in the build up to the next world cup.

Claim the issues don't exist
Blame everyone else
Annexe the Baltic states so focus is elsewhere
Release topless pictures of Putin
Point at England and say "They started it"

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Jun 2016, 2:02 pm

Davie wrote:
super_realist wrote:It's just as well that there are 3 going through as if it were 16 teams to begin with, on those results, England might already be out.

Are you suggesting if only two had gone through, Russia and Slovakia may have tried  harder? Last time I looked England still qualified 2nd (and unbeaten)

No, I'm suggesting that if the tournament wasn't diluted with dross teams, then England's group might be stronger than it was, and given that they couldn't even beat Russia, who along with Austria have been the worst in the tournament that they would have struggled to make top 2.

As Shearer has said. No team will be scared of playing England, and why would they?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 23 Jun 2016, 2:13 pm

No team is scared of anyone if you ask me. All the 'top' teams have struggled at some point or other. I'm backing Wales to go all the way....
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 23 Jun 2016, 2:53 pm

Looking at the qualifying tables Turkey, Ukraine and Sweden finished 3rd in their groups (so should perhaps be considered diluters based on prior 18 months) but have been eliminated as bottom in their groups in France (backing up that theory).

Ireland and Hungary both finished third in their qualifying groups. Hungary were top at the tournament group, so can't really be called diluting dross. Ireland scraped through in third.

Russia and Austria cited as being the worst there, qualified well (very well in Austria's case) and so can't really be suggested as being diluting dross without the benefit of hindsight. Russia turned out to be awful, but deserved to be there on prior form.

Not sure who else wouldn't have been there but I'm not buying that it has actually been diluted by dross teams.

I will happily take on board that England would have struggled more in a tougher group (and would probably be in Wetherspoons in Luton as we type), but I don't take that particular argument Sups. It was a favourable draw, but some happen like that.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 23 Jun 2016, 3:06 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:No team is scared of anyone if you ask me. All the 'top' teams have struggled at some point or other. I'm backing Wales to go all the way....

Agree.

I'm going fot Italy to beat Belgium in the final.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Jun 2016, 3:06 pm

What I mean Roller, is that had it been the usual 16 teams, then the likes of England would be very lucky to get through in a top 2 position. I'm not sure why there's even a question there.
England qualified in first place, but no one is taking that as something that ought to be considered as an indication of "form" going into a tournament and they always show how that "form" means nothing whatsoever. They do it every tournament nearly.
 So, you can still qualify for the tournament, however you do it, and still be considered a dross team in the main draw. Sweden, Ukraine, Romania, Albania, Slovakia have hardly pulled up any trees.  All of those teams, incl NI, (Sweden have fallen way down in recent years) would look severely out of place in a 16 team tournament.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Thu 23 Jun 2016, 3:46 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:
Yadsendew wrote:
I wonder how the Russian organisers will deal with these potential dark age issues in the build up to the next world cup.

Blame everyone else

Yes to keep it in a 'Kammy' - football sort of way - "Your not wrong there Roller'"

In my view if France don't win it then England could - despite Roy's bumbling. Wales are the best form side of the top half draw; if they steer clear of injuries they can sort a few of the so called big guns out and go all the way.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Jun 2016, 4:12 pm

Yadsendew wrote:
Roller_Coaster wrote:
Yadsendew wrote:

Blame everyone else

Yes to keep it in a 'Kammy' - football sort of way - "Your not wrong there Roller'"

In my view if France don't win it then England could - despite Roy's bumbling. Wales are the best form side of the top half draw; if they steer clear of injuries they can sort a few of the so called big guns out and go all the way.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Thu 23 Jun 2016, 7:11 pm

You may laugh Super, but they've got as much chance of winning it (but sadly they probably wont) as the Open being played at Port Rush. Oh dear it transpires they're hosting the Open at Port Rush in 2019. I do recall that you were the esteemed civil engineer genius that stated a few years ago it would never happen.

Brilliant Whistle Whistle

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Jun 2016, 8:03 pm

You must be the only person who thinks they can win it.
They aren't even close to being clinical enough, their defence isn't good enough and their manager is a tactically inept buffoon.
They've not come up against any decent teams yet and they've been shown up in all of them. To expect them to win the next 4 games when they've only just won one game out of three is a tall order. Not impossible, but incredibly unlikely given that they haven't won 4 knockout games since 1996 let alone in one tournament.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 23 Jun 2016, 8:21 pm

Davie wrote:
pedro wrote:Or a huge tourney where all nations of Europe participate in 12 groups of 4, with only the two best qualifying.

Bit hard to organize a straight knockout round with only 24 teams
You could sort that out by having 8 seeds (those with most points from the group stages) going directly to the L16. That would also promote offensive playing in the group stages. The remaining 16 would play for the last 8 spots. (They have similar systems in other sports like handball.)
A winner would then max have to play one more game than to win the world cup.
You could then also stage the tourney over a longer period of time and in more countries.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 23 Jun 2016, 8:35 pm

super_realist wrote:They've not come up against any decent teams yet and they've been shown up in all of them.

You don't consider Wales decent either then. At least you are consistent. I don't recall England being shown up against Wales apart from the embarrassing goalkeeper incident when Joe Hart was still washing his hair when Bale scored from 30 yards.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Thu 23 Jun 2016, 9:14 pm

Davie wrote:
super_realist wrote:They've not come up against any decent teams yet and they've been shown up in all of them.

You don't consider Wales decent either then. At least you are consistent. I don't recall England being shown up against Wales apart from the embarrassing goalkeeper incident when Joe Hart was still washing his hair when Bale scored from 30 yards.

They're all decent teams especially, as you suggest Davie, Wales in the form that they're in. The top half of the draw looks wide open. I'd be interested to know which teams posters predict to meet in the Final?

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 23 Jun 2016, 9:25 pm

Italy to beat Belgium

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 23 Jun 2016, 9:46 pm

Italy to beat Croatia.

Think that concerns me with England is that they seem to have no Plan B, which Townsend or Andy Carroll (OK, OK) might have offered. Plus it was curious that Hodgson left Cahill in even when he was struggling with his hip - lack of confidence in Stones? Strikers might need to score goals, but defence needs to be much better too. Scary.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Thu 23 Jun 2016, 9:48 pm

France to beat Belgium.

Got to be realistic despite hoping for an England v Wales final (40/1 odds at the moment)

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Thu 23 Jun 2016, 10:00 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Italy to beat Croatia.

Think that concerns me with England is that they seem to have no Plan B, which Townsend or Andy Carroll (OK, OK) might have offered. Plus it was curious that Hodgson left Cahill in even when he was struggling with his hip - lack of confidence in Stones? Strikers might need to score goals, but defence needs to be much better too. Scary.

Good call with Carroll different sort of threat than the others not sure about Townsend though. Maybe Roy thought Carroll had been picked for Ireland Shocked

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:10 am

Davie wrote:

I don't see Wales as especially decent. They've had a good qualification, but they aren't a team that can win it, and those are the teams that England, by virtue of their retarded 6 man change which has seen them in the wrong half of the draw, are going to have to beat teams and those who ARE the main challengers.

That Wales-England game was a dog with fleas. It was like watching a Scottish Premier game. THe ball was just knocked back and forth and was nothing but head tennis. Poor touches, slack passing, rotten crosses.

The telling stat is that they have to win 4 games now, more than they've won in knockout in over 20 years. So no, I don't think they can win it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 24 Jun 2016, 8:36 am

Croatia - maybe, but mentality could be a unknown factor
or Belgium - a lot of individualists, but not a team

vs one of

Italy - looks strong.
Spain - best team on paper, but also seems complacent
France - hasn't impressed me, but plays at home so should be reckoned
Germany - usually gets stronger as the tournament progresses

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 24 Jun 2016, 9:34 am

Croatia - Germany

Croatia. Best team that actually plays like a team in the top half and Modric and Rakitic are an excellent pairing right in the middle of the pitch.

Germany. Well, they're just Germany. It's kind of what they do.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 24 Jun 2016, 9:43 am

Can we finish off the euros? Will the masses allow it.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 24 Jun 2016, 9:49 am

If we can't join them, beat them!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2016, 10:57 am

Seems that the coffin dodgers won the vote.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 24 Jun 2016, 11:17 am

We will get a new unelected prime minister, after all the moaning about the unelected in Brussels.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2016, 11:22 am

All those bloody Arnold Palmers must be having a laugh. Vote Exit, knowing they'll not be around to see it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 24 Jun 2016, 11:41 am

super,
That must mean another referendum for you, surely?

Don't see the point of general elections anymore when things like this happen. Sad day.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 24 Jun 2016, 11:44 am

In the most surprising piece of news since Rors withdrew from Rio it turns out England is full of xenophobic morons. Who would have thunk it?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 24 Jun 2016, 11:46 am

Kwini

Seems like it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36621030

Surely even Super would vote to abandon the sewer that is non-london england.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2016, 11:51 am

kwinigolfer wrote:super,

Don't see the point of general elections anymore when things like this happen. Sad day.

Well Kwini, The Yes morons can't call another Independence referendum without Westminster approval, and unless they have a 60% approval rate, they'd be crazy to risk another one so soon for fear of failure. *Stop Press. Jimmy Krankie says another referendum is "on the table". Effing hate that bitch.

Mac, I'll never vote for Independence unless it made financial sense, and it really doesn't make the slightest bit of financial sense.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 24 Jun 2016, 11:59 am

Mac,
It's not that England is a sewer, it's that it's been run by sewer rats for too long.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 24 Jun 2016, 12:04 pm

What counts as financial sense now? Are Economy is down the toilet already.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 24 Jun 2016, 12:05 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Mac,
It's not that England is a sewer, it's that it's been run by sewer rats for too long.

The country was basically asked if if was ok with Eastern Europeans and England decided it wasn't.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2016, 12:06 pm

What would you expect Scotland to run on Mac? Irn-Bru, Shortbread and Jimmy Hats?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:02 pm

McLaren wrote:

The country was basically asked if if was ok with Eastern Europeans and England decided it wasn't.  
Guess that was more PC than asking if it was ok with muslims, something that would be hard to vote on anyway.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:03 pm

Mac, England is not full of Xenophobic morons. Millions voted to remain (presumably your definition of not being a moron). Of the ones that voted leave I would venture a guess that maybe 10%ish would have what most normal people would class as Xenophobic views.

Sturgeon didn't really say anything I wouldn't have expected. A 2nd Indy Ref is now inevitable.

More surprising are the treacherous spineless and opportunistic Labour backbenchers thinking they are more in tune with their rank and file than their leader. Think it's time for the Labour party to split again, the Blairites can hop shamelessly into bed with the Lib Dems whilst the actual rump of whats left of the Labour Party can continue, maybe learning from the SNP on how to listen to your electorate.

Probably the biggest concern would be for N.I. As they want to remain it will fuel a gravitation toward a united Ireland. Good luck with the negotiations on that one!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:04 pm

super_realist wrote:What would you expect Scotland to run on Mac? Irn-Bru,  Shortbread and Jimmy Hats?

EU subsidies...obviously :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:10 pm

beninho wrote: We will get a new unelected prime minister, after all the moaning about the unelected in Brussels.
You don't vote for a PM, you vote for a party.

If democracy is the issue, maybe one should ask the Brexit campaign if they are in favor of a federal EU then? Of course not. Democracy is just an excuse for showing everybody the middle finger and picking your own behind..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:21 pm

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:What would you expect Scotland to run on Mac? Irn-Bru,  Shortbread and Jimmy Hats?

EU subsidies...obviously :-p
Trump Turnberry?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:25 pm

Turnberry Tale

Saw Mr Idiot was at the re-opening of Turnberry, read about that and then tootled around the interwang as you do and ended up on the Turnberry site and found my way to the story in that link.

IMO - well worth a few minutes to read. Just a nice story.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:34 pm

super_realist wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:super,

Well Kwini, The Yes morons can't call another Independence referendum without Westminster approval, and unless they have a 60% approval rate, they'd be crazy to risk another one so soon for fear of failure. *Stop Press. Jimmy Krankie says another referendum is "on the table". Effing hate that bitch.

Mac, I'll never vote for Independence unless it made financial sense, and it really doesn't make the slightest bit of financial sense.
Let them go. Much as I wanted Scotland to remain a part of the U.K. before, entirely understandable if they have another vote and I'm certain they'd vote out now.
Gove, Boris et al along with the selfish 'out'-voting pensioners should all be soundly beaten. Especially those pensioners. Check out the 13.16 entry on the link below to give you a flavour of the level of thought and thinly veiled xenophobia:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:42 pm

Amazing to me that all these two-faced "Leave"rs are saying how good a PM Cameron is. Almost as if they've got what they want and now don't know what to do with it.
Be careful what you ask for Boris, and the rest of you.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:45 pm

Trump says it's great Scotland took their country back. Doh?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:45 pm

Typical politicians. Bit like when one dies - lifelong sworn enemies come over all nostalgic about how great the deceased was. Boris is FUBAR. I can't see the Tories sanctioning him as next PM, but they might.

Gotta pity the Gibraltarians...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:46 pm

pedro wrote:Trump says it's great Scotland took their country back. Doh?
Well, that's the Fart for you. What.a.moron. And they seriously think he's the one to follow Obama? Jeeesus!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:50 pm

Meanwhile and with some astonishing irony, Margaret Hodge tables a motion of No Confidence in Jeremy Corbyn's leadership. That's Margaret Hodge MP for Barking and Dagenham who was in the Remain camp and who's constituents voted by over 70% to leave. So what she is effectively saying is "I don't listen to my constituents and it's not my fault they're wrong, all wrong, it's Corbyn's fault, it must be because I've never liked him." If I were in that CLP I'd be screaming for her deselection...now!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2016, 2:03 pm

I can't think of a time when global politics was at such a low ebb. There is literally no positives around right now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 24 Jun 2016, 2:17 pm

Oh, I dunno. Looking forward to laughing at more Trump idiocies during the U.S. election this autumn. Not a lot else though, to be fair.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 24 Jun 2016, 2:25 pm

Well, that was a surprise (at least to me). Now they are saying Scotland will leave the UK next.

Anyone who thinks Donald Trump can't win this Fall should pay close attention.

Last edited by Shotrock on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 24 Jun 2016, 2:26 pm

Well yes, his idiocy can be funny. But in terms of politics and being serious, there is little positive. The irony being it's one of Super's more positive posts.

Here's a thought for you.

Johnson and Trump.

One golf buggy at the whitehouse I don't want to be behind.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next