The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher

+22
monty junior
kwinigolfer
I'm never wrong
Snap Hook
LadyPutt
AlciG
navyblueshorts
sportform
EmmDee57
1GrumpyGolfer
owen10ozzy
Shotrock
Davie
SmithersJones
sirbenson
super_realist
wiretapper
McLaren
GPB
GJ AUSSIE MAN
Be_the_ball
pedro
26 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Jul 2016, 5:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Hey, Didn't we just have a Major?
Here we go again, the PGA Championship on Tillinghast's Baltusrol in Northern New Jersey. The PGA used to be known as Glory's Last Shot until the PGA Tour interfered and suggested the PGA Of America change their slogan as the FedEx Cup was really the pros' last chance at "Glory".
Yeah, yeah.
But we're in New Jersey, Springsteen's manor, so let's just celebrate four Glory Days, even though the "speedball" will be rocketing off the face of a golf club rather than from the hand of a baseball pitcher.

2).It's perhaps unrealistic to expect a repeat of the thrilling duel between Stenson and Mickelson but a great field should produce its own thrills and spills as most of the players compete in the USA for the first time in a month.
As for Henrik's and Phil's reactions to Troon:
Henrik: "It's a boyhood dream come true, and something I wanted to achieve all my life, and then it finally happened."
Phil: "It's the first time in my career that I have played that level of golf and not had it be enough to win a tournament."

3).Half a dozen golfers left Glen Abbey thinking they gifted Jhonny Vegas the Canadian Open win - happy to see Martin Laird secure his card and fleetingly stick his nose in front before treading water for his final few holes; and Kuchar & Snedeker will feel they squandered golden opportunities to wrap up their automatic Ryder Cup Team place. Kuchar, Fowler and Reed are all headed to Rio (for eleven days according to Rickie) so the guess here is that Davis Love has tipped all three the wink that their RC participation is assured.

4).After this week, the Tour visits Hartford, the Quad Cities and Greensboro and anyone out of the FedEx Top 125 points placings after that lot loses their chance at a Barclays tee-time, and possibly their Tour card for next season as well.
Including Jamie Donaldson and it's looking increasingly as if he's given up on his PGA Tour membership - whether it's his schedule, his game or both, things don't seem to have worked out for him, professionally at least, so for him this possibly really his "last shot".

5).Phil has history on his side as he looks to get right back on his horse to "defend" the PGA Championship he won at Baltusrol in 2005; he then went on to win the very next Major, at Augusta in April, 2006, so he should relish the chance to go from disappointment to a relative comfort zone.

6).Top 50 finishers among the 24 playing tomorrow who finished behind Phil that week include:
T10: Vijay, Toms
T17: Zach, Westwood
T23: Sergio
T28: Vaughn Taylor
T34: Bohn, Furyk, Freddie Jac
T40: Scott, KJ Choi
T47: Ryan Palmer, Stenson, Yang
Not much course form to go by there.

7).Baltusrol has the reputation as a bit of a tree-lined snoozer, all Par-3's and 4's except the Par-5's 17th and 18th: The 18th was the easiest hole in 2005, a reachable Par-5 but it has now been lengthened with a narrow driving area dominated by water alongside the fairway. Unless there's a following wind, only the longest/most reckless will go for the green in two, so effectively making it a lay-up off the tee, lay-up second shot, wedge, putt putt. Not guaranteed to stir too much excitement but perhaps the PGA can liven it up a tad?

8).I'm interested to see how the nouveau British contingent fares, Hatton and Johnston, Fitzpatrick (lousy form since Sweden) and Sullivan (has promised more than he's delivered this summer). And what about Willett (quiet summer for him) and Wood (beware the injured golfer?)?
Of the continental Europeans, my each-way choice is Molinari, quietly having a fine summer and perhaps the sort of golfer that will play within himself, fairways and greens, and suddenly find himself in contention.

9).It's been hot and muggy in the New York area but temps are forecast to moderate to the mid-80's most of the week, with thunderstorms possible especially on Friday and Sunday. Hopefully the modest rainfall recently has been enough to ensure we won't have a repeat of Glen Abbey's brown out.
Day, McIlroy and Spieth are Major-less this year; sounds like Day has had his practice restricted by family health concerns, but that change could be as good as a rest for him. Can't fancy Spieth but hopefully Rory will be somewhere close to his best.

10).Willett, Dustin Johnson, Stenson. Who's next in line as we seem to be enjoying a near epidemic of first-time Major winners? Answers please.
The PGA Championship may be the Fourth Major in almost every respect, but it's still more important in our review of a golfer's legacy than the FedEx and WGC action. Hope the golfers feel the same.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Jul 2016, 11:58 am

Kwini

The thing is that he must have known for months (if not longer) that his short game is that of a lower end PGAT player. He only has to look at the stats to see that. So the question is what do we think or know that he has been doing this season to improve his wedge and putting play?

Or has he just hoped that doing what he has always done will work again?

The thing about pumping iron is that Tiger made the same mistake but always had the best short game, in Tigers case it was his long game that the body building damaged.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: PGA Championship - Glory Days: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 29 Jul 2016, 12:16 pm

Re. McIlroy's putting. I don't think he knows what he's doing re. stroke/grip etc for the best results/comfort. He went cack-handed a while back for a change etc. He looks rushed to me over his putts as well. Does he ever get much input on reads from his caddie?

I'm sure he's had everything possible checked re. putter. Wonder if he's had his vision looked at? Alternatively, he's just not that good a putter cf. the best on Tour and there's little he'll ever be able to do to become a Striker/Snedeker.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 12:21 pm

Overnight rain is going to make an already long course much longer!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 29 Jul 2016, 12:25 pm

Didn't Rory have a laser op on his eyes - and since then he's been major-less?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Jul 2016, 12:32 pm

Navy

That is a good point, as far as I can tell Rory's putt go exactly where he aims it (no pushes/pulls) so maybe he is just really bad at reading the greens. Is there anything you can do to get better at reading greens or should he abandon pride and get his caddie to start lining up his putts for him?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Fri 29 Jul 2016, 12:34 pm

pedro wrote:Didn't Rory have a laser op on his eyes - and since then he's been major-less?

The back end of last year Pedro, although I think the source of the problem lies elsewhere

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 29 Jul 2016, 12:52 pm

McLaren wrote:"inside ten feet Rory ranks 187th on tour".

Wow, that is bad.

Yeah, Crazy for a top player really. He needs to get Stockton back in his corner sharpish. No chance winning anything with those putting stats. All this faffing about at the start of the season didn't help, left hand low only to revert later in the season. Shows his confusion really.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

I think Rory needs a new caddie who joins him on the understanding that Rory starts working harder on the course/practice ground. Not any aspersion cast against JP but looks like Rory needs a different voice, set of eyes.

But my main point was that perhaps we expect all golfers to have a single focus, and just maybe there are other things in Rory's life right now. Perfectly understandable, not just with his fiancee but his mates as well. Tiger was uber-single focus with his addictive (for anything) personality but Rory has always seemed a much more balanced bloke than that. Nothing wrong with mentally taking a year or two off, but all "investors" should note that Rory needs a health warning attached to the product until he shows signs of returning to his best, which probably means enjoying himself on course.

Anyway, Baltusrol looks a bit of a brute this morning, especially for the shorter hitters.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2016, 1:06 pm

After one hour of play, Shaun Micheel is the only golfer under par for the day.
That makes perfect sense.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Jul 2016, 1:10 pm

Kwini

But surely Rory has enough free time in the day to hang out with his mates, snuggle with his fiancee and get some time on the putting green?

In fact I assume he does spend enough time on the putting green it is just that he isn't practicing the correct things.

As for his caddie, I have thought for years that with a williams type guy on the bag Rory could win a lot more. JP is just a bag carrier.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 1:13 pm

I do believe JP holds Rory back, he needs a better caddie with a stronger voice.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2016, 1:18 pm

Mac,
Are you focussed 100% of the time in your chosen profession? He's been at an elite level for more than half his life - it would probably do him good to take a breather. Maybe this year is it; whatever, don't bet on him!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Jul 2016, 1:20 pm

Don't be silly Kwini, Mac doesn't have a profession.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 1:22 pm

People can't be at 100% all the time, I understand that but it doesn't mean Mcilroy shouldn't be judged on his results tbf!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 29 Jul 2016, 1:23 pm

Peter Kostis suggested Rory might be better served with a heel-weighted putter (mimicking his full swing). Who knows.

Unfortunate start for Rory since the sheer length of this course plays to his strength.

I'm hoping for another first time major winner.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 1:25 pm

Looks like play has been suspended and they are keeping players in position for the moment

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2016, 1:41 pm

sirb,
Difficult to understand why they ever started given the forecast and course condition. Fairer for all if they'd just have waited a couple of hours, at least. Should be clear by 10.00 a.m. at the latest.

Among the top few players, I reckon Jason Day is the only one who feels "compelled" to be at the top of his game, Number One all day every day - Tiger-like if you will, even Vijay of a decade or so ago. And Day makes sure he takes a few months off every year.
Certainly wouldn't put any others of the current top ten in that category, and definitely not Rory.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 1:45 pm

Colt Knost not happy with the pin position on 10 by the look of his tweets!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Fri 29 Jul 2016, 1:58 pm

sirbenson wrote:Looks like play has been suspended and they are keeping players in position for the moment

Play has been resumed

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:10 pm

Bet Victor still offering 14/1 on Jimmy Walker

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:30 pm

sirb,
Not watching the action yet - have they changed the pin position on #10 since the delay? Suggestion on golfchannel.com that they might have. That would be ridiculous.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:32 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:sirb,
Not watching the action yet - have they changed the pin position on #10 since the delay? Suggestion on golfchannel.com that they might have. That would be ridiculous.

I think so, I think players were given the wrong pin sheet or something like that. I am sure you'll get the full story from Knost after his round!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:33 pm

Fantastic start from Spieth!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:34 pm

https://twitter.com/WillGrayGC/status/759018579987574785
https://twitter.com/RyanLavnerGC/status/759018233022193666

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:36 pm

Yup, That's what I've been following.
Black eye for the PGA. Bloody Yorkshireman running the show. What would Boycott say?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:40 pm

kwini

I might not have been clear but I am not suggesting Rory needs to spend many more hours on the green he just has to make sure he is practicing things that will help him hole more putts.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:46 pm

Mac,
No doubt.
But I'm just suggesting he may be taking it easy, not practicing as we would think he should be. Working in the gym perhaps but not on the range.
Plus, he may just not be that good at reading greens, it's not all about the putting stroke but also about getting the approaches right and reading the greens for his chips.

PS: Justin Rose is another who's not playing at the level we expect . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:53 pm

Seems as if at least one group played #10 with an incorrect pin-sheet!

Great comeback yesterday and this morning by Patrick Reed.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:58 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Seems as if at least one group played #10 with an incorrect pin-sheet!

Does it matter? Golfers should enjoy the challenge of reading the landscape and not rely on aids like pin sheets and laser range finders.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 3:21 pm

McLaren wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Seems as if at least one group played #10 with an incorrect pin-sheet!

Does it matter?  Golfers should enjoy the challenge of reading the landscape and not rely on aids like pin sheets and laser range finders.

Yes, but if they are given wrong information regarding the pin sheets well then they have the right to feel aggrieved imo!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2016, 4:00 pm

Mac,
What a load of drivel you talk sometimes.

According to the PGA's own web-site, the 10th hole is 460 yds long and the green has a "narrow opening in front that can kick balls in any direction. This green is difficult to hit because it is partially blind and runs away from the player."
How far do you hit it off the tee? 300 yards (in your dreams)? OK then, you've got a semi-blind shot from 160 yards from your "mayor's office" in the fairway - only you can "enjoy the challenge of reading the landscape" from there. Especially if that flag that you can only just see appears to be in a different position than the PGA pin-sheet you're holding in your hand.

OK for guys like you, but for the average millionaire pro that is misleading to say the very least.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri 29 Jul 2016, 5:27 pm

Rory needs to spend more time on practicing his golf and less time in the gym. Unless he can get his approach shots closer to the pin, and puts less pressure on his already fragile putting, then no matter now far he bombs it off the tee, he won't win anything. I also agree that it's time for a change of caddy. Well, that's my two pen'orth anyway!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 5:59 pm

Great comeback from Reed!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 6:09 pm

Isn't it time David Livingstone was replaced by Robert Lee or Sarah Stirk or someone else

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 29 Jul 2016, 6:22 pm

Stenson going from strength to strength.

Rory has his work cut out for him this afternoon. DJ will need a miracle.

But, not a bit surprised to see pea-brain doing his best to make an early exit.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2016, 6:33 pm

Not sure who "pea brain" is. Matt Kuchar presumably.

If only Stenson could hole all his inside-five-feet putts - he'd be -10 by now.

Some good names already have the weekend off: Kooch, Dustin, Shane, Finau (thought he'd manhandle this course . . . . ), Lukey (course manhandled him).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 6:37 pm

https://twitter.com/JasonSobelESPN/status/759079555235770369

Also apparently Spieth maybe penalised for a wrong drop on the 7th....Typical Golf, jeez.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 6:41 pm

Kwini, I think he was referring Sergio Garcia presumably haha!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 29 Jul 2016, 6:44 pm

Dan Jenkins Tweet wrote:Bubba and Sergio should be favorites at the Olympic tournament. Rabbit ears don't matter when nobody's watching.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 29 Jul 2016, 6:48 pm

"Presumably" wrong Kwin!

Pea-brain is, of course, Sergio. Glad I didn't pick him for this week; but you could mark me down for that same decision every week.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2016, 6:55 pm

There go Sergio and Graeme McDowell.
Seriously: How does McDool now qualify for Ryder Cup action? I think he sits this one out, sad to say.

PGA has now apologized to the Colt Knost threesome for an incorrect pin placement/sheet. Knost is right on the cut-line so hopefully he'll squeak in. Horschel, Fitz and Dufner hope so too.

Yup Shotrock, as if we couldn't guess your prejudices!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 6:58 pm

Justin Rose always seems to be missing a putt when he is being shown these days!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Jul 2016, 7:19 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Mac,
What a load of drivel you talk sometimes.

Come on man, by now you surely know when my comments are tongue in cheek.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Jul 2016, 7:25 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Yup Shotrock, as if we couldn't guess your prejudices!

It is the prejudices of pea brain (which he has been known as on here for a while now) that worry me.

Nice play from Spieth to get to -3, got to be one of the favorites now?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Jul 2016, 7:38 pm

Big Philly, nooooooooo Shocked
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Jul 2016, 7:44 pm

Seems like Jordan Spieth escapes penalty. Not sure about that, but something to do with enjoying the landscape.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Snap Hook Fri 29 Jul 2016, 7:49 pm

Lefty going Left, then Right, Left - painful.

Snap Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 29 Jul 2016, 7:51 pm

Wow, what a poor start from Phil

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 29 Jul 2016, 8:17 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Seems like Jordan Spieth escapes penalty. Not sure about that, but something to do with enjoying the landscape.
You can see it here Kwini. Click here
The rules official was very keen to make sure his foot was out of the water, but when he played the shot, his toes looked liked they were in it.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 29 Jul 2016, 8:23 pm

Exactly, Mac.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next