The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Olympics

+22
SmithersJones
navyblueshorts
Davie
Be_the_ball
1GrumpyGolfer
MustPuttBetter
LadyPutt
Shotrock
robopz
pedro
Roller_Coaster
GPB
JAS
raycastleunited
I'm never wrong
beninho
McLaren
MontysMerkin
wiretapper
kwinigolfer
super_realist
sirbenson
26 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The Olympics - Page 4 Empty The Olympics

Post by sirbenson Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Tee Times RD 3
7:30 a.m. -- Shingo Katayama, Julien Quesne, Wen-Tang Lin

7:41 a.m. -- Miguel Luis Tabuena, Jhonattan Vegas, Espen Kofstad

7:52 a.m. -- Brandon Stone, Anirban Lahiri, Roope Kakko

8:03 a.m. -- Thongchai Jaidee, Rickie Fowler, Gavin Green

8:14 a.m. -- Jaco Van Zyl, Wu Ashun, Siddikur Rahman

8:25 a.m. -- Hao Tong Li, Fabrizio Zanotti, Nino Bertasio

8:41 a.m. -- Ryan Fox, Adilson da Silva, Danny Chia

8:52 a.m. -- David Hearn, Yuta Ikeda, Scott Hend

9:03 a.m. -- Jeunghun Wang, Felipe Aguilar, Rodolfo Cazaubon

9:14 a.m. -- Joost Luiten, S.S.P. Chawrasia, Matteo Manassero

9:25 a.m. -- Danny Willett, Martin Kaymer, Mikko Ilonen

9:36 a.m. -- Padraig Harrington, Soren Kjeldsen, Bernd Wiesberger

9:47 a.m. -- Ricardo Gouveia, Sergio Garcia, Patrick Reed

10:03 a.m. -- Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Jose-Filipe Lima, Bubba Watson

10:14 a.m. -- David Lingmerth, Matt Kuchar, Byeong Hun An

10:25 a.m. -- Seamus Power, Emiliano Grillo, Nicolas Colsaerts

10:36 a.m. -- Cheng Tsung Pan, Thorbjorn Olesen, Alex Cejka

10:47 a.m. -- Graham DeLaet, Danny Lee, Fabian Gomez

10:58 a.m. -- Gregory Bourdy, Justin Rose, Rafa Cabrera Bello

11:09 a.m. -- Marcus Fraser, Thomas Pieters, Henrik Stenson

Last edited by sirbenson on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:24 pm; edited 5 times in total

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

The Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: The Olympics

Post by GPB Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:18 am

robopz wrote:Or Maybe not......
@AP_Sports 5m
BREAKING: IOC spokesman: Report of swimmer Lochte robbed at gunpoint ‘absolutely not true,’ according to Lochte and USOC #rio2016

Looks like the retraction has been retracted.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/swimming/story/_/id/17299461/usoc-confirms-ryan-lochte-three-other-us-swimmers-robbed-rio

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:56 am

beninho wrote: The gb kits for most events have been horrors.

I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I rather like the kit for all the sports. Justin looked stylish in the team tracksuit for the medal ceremony - much better than the other two IMO.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:38 am

Golfers wearing a tracksuit is a bit of an oxymoron. Would have thought a nice jacket and shirt would be more appropriate for a non athletic sport.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:46 am

super_realist wrote:Golfers wearing a tracksuit is a bit of an oxymoron. Would have thought a nice jacket and shirt would be more appropriate for a non athletic sport.
Kooch looked a bit goofy there. Doesn't help he always has that grin on.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:48 am

He's always got a "glaikit" expression on does Kuchar, seems a good guy, but looks like a simpleton.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:58 am

You'd either think he was on Prozac, or had something really big up his behind.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:02 am

He does come across better than a lot of the Americans and to his credit, he doesn't seem to be part of the bible thumping brigade, or at the very least doesn't talk about it.
Great round from him though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:36 am

That guy that broke the 400m WR is definetely part of the bible thumping brigade. He is "blessed" with being a total moron.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:13 am

I saw that Mac, what an absolute cretin. The interviewer should have just walked away.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:28 am

So bloke who has previosly donated half a million to local hospital is acretin because he believes in god?
Thats such a weird thing to say.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:36 am

How do you come to that conclusion? He's a cretin because he's stated that his success was due to him praying everyday for this to happen.

First of all it's a cretinous statement to make because he trained extensively. If he genuinely thought it was down to some jewish sky zombie and how hard he prayed to it, why did he bother training at all?, secondly, why would a jewish sky zombie allow people to suffer intolerable things day in day out, but allow some pea brained moron to do well in a running race. It's a preposterous, arrogant and selfish thing to say, and it shows the guy to be a complete and utter idiot on that one point, not just because he believes in something hysterically stupid, but that he's stupid enough to think any deity would give a toss about a running race, whilst he's also ignoring that the field also had other bible thumpers in it, so why didn't it help them?

Did you see the interview? It was toecurlingly embarrassing, he actually credited an imaginary deity with his success. That's why it's stupid. His philanthropy has nothing to do with him being a credulous, gullible, naïve fool, but that's demonstrably what he is.

So what if he donated money to a hospital, it doesn't excuse him from believing in fairy tales.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:38 am

I think "cretin" actually refers to mental ability not how nice a person you are, so technically the guy could be very charitable and also be cretin if he isn't that smart.

Beninho, have you watched his post race interview with the bbc?  I wouldn't usually support Supers over the top criticisms but the interview is cringe worthy in the extreme because he portrayed himself as the worst type of simpleton believer who has lapped up every word of the bible uncritically.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:42 am

I dont give a Poopie what he believes in and doesn't. It has no impact on me in any way. Hes a remarkable athlete and who knows whether he would be so good if he didnt have his faith.

I find irrational hatred of people that believe in god weird.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:47 am

Yeah, you've hit the nail on the head. HE is a remarkable athlete, but HE thinks he gets additional help from something indistinguishable from a fairy tale. That's why he's stupid, and believing he got supernatural help is fantastically crazy on about a dozen different levels.

I didn't say I hated him, he can believe what he wants, but if you come out with something as idiotic as that by definition, you deserve ridicule.
If he'd said that he'd wished to a leprechaun or unicorn every single day for the last 4 years, you'd think he was a front hall nutter. Something as silly as that is indistinguishable as what he did say. That's why he's an idiot to make a claim he can't possibly back up.

Great he done the race, but it was 100% due to him and his coaches, nothing else and for him to say anything else, shows him to be a gullible fool

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:49 am

beninho wrote:So bloke who has previosly donated half a million to local hospital is acretin because he believes in god?
Thats such a weird thing to say.
maybe he's trying to gain indulgence

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:52 am

Praising the Christian God always seem to be “OK”. But if he’d praised Allah the same way I bet you he’d be on his way to Gizmo by now.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:56 am

Beninho, I will ask again if you have watched the interview?

I don't really care what he believes but it was noticeable how much of a simpleton he came of as in his post race interview. It is rare, and therefore worth mentioning, to hear someone talk about their success in such simple terms of it was all god and they are blessed. Even the bible club golfers don't concede all the reasons for their success to god in the way this guy did.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:58 am

I think the most cretinous thing I've heard is today is that as long as you are charitable and philanthropic that somehow means that everything else you do and say is somehow bestowed with masses of credibility and respect.

What a moronic connection to make.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:08 pm

Super

It is not uncommon for those who have not thought about religion as much as you have to not yet have disavowed themselves of the notion that there is an inherent moral goodness about those that are religious. It is a faulty thinking but you are taking it way too far to label beninho "moronic".
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:28 pm

Thank god he can run...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:29 pm

McLaren wrote:Beninho, I will ask again if you have watched the interview?  

I don't really care what he believes but it was noticeable how much of a simpleton he came of as in his post race interview.  It is rare, and therefore worth mentioning, to hear someone talk about their success in such simple terms of it was all god and they are blessed.  Even the bible club golfers don't concede all the reasons for their success to god in the way this guy did.

Nope, not yet but the replay is about to start. Again though I cant see that it wil lbother meenough to pass comment.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:31 pm

pedro wrote:Praising the Christian God always seem to be “OK”. But if he’d praised Allah the same way I bet you he’d be on his way to Gizmo by now.

You dont watch the cricket? The pakistan team all praise allah.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:33 pm

super_realist wrote:I think the most cretinous thing I've heard is today is that as long as you are charitable and philanthropic that somehow means that everything else you do and say is somehow bestowed with masses of credibility and respect.

As moronic as a sweeping statement that as someone is religious hes a cretin. When you know jack all about that person.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:07 pm

Now come on, if you can't make an idiotic sweeping generalisation here then where can you?
Loved the difference between an Englishman with an Olympic gold as oppose to the miserable scottish turd. And to think Murray is actually considered charismatic for a scotch.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:09 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

It is not uncommon for those who have not thought about religion as much as you have to not yet have disavowed themselves of the notion that there is an inherent moral goodness about those that are religious.  It is a faulty thinking but you are taking it way too far to label beninho "moronic".

I didn't label Beninho moronic Mac, I labelled his statement that being philanthropic excuses ridiculous statements.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:11 pm

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:I think the most cretinous thing I've heard is today is that as long as you are charitable and philanthropic that somehow means that everything else you do and say is somehow bestowed with masses of credibility and respect.

As moronic as a sweeping statement that as someone is religious hes a cretin. When you know jack all about that person.

By DEFINITION the statement of the athlete in interview was credulous, naïve and gullible. Although not technically a "cretin", it's a description used to describe someone who is an idiot. If you attribute your success to something indistinguishable from a fairy tale, then yes, that statement does point that you are somewhat mentally deficient on that particular point.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:17 pm

I'm afraid that a majority of the worlds population are mentally deficient then.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:27 pm

beninho wrote:
pedro wrote:Praising the Christian God always seem to be “OK”. But if he’d praised Allah the same way I bet you he’d be on his way to Gizmo by now.

You dont watch the cricket? The pakistan team all praise allah.
Cricket is a closed shop so nobody cares.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:28 pm

pedro wrote:I'm afraid that a majority of the worlds population are mentally deficient then.

On one particular point, yes. It isn't logical to believe anything unless there is good evidence for it, on that one point, they believe in something outrageous without the slightest bit of information. Doesn't make them idiots in general, but on one particular point it absolutely does.
This athlete was a case in point.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:30 pm

super_realist wrote:
pedro wrote:I'm afraid that a majority of the worlds population are mentally deficient then.

On one particular point, yes. It isn't logical to believe anything unless there is good evidence for it, on that one point, they believe in something outrageous without the slightest bit of information. Doesn't make them idiots in general, but on one particular point it absolutely does.

Please explain the placebo effect then?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:38 pm

What is there to explain?  Not knowing what pill you have doesn't mean you should believe you have the correct pill even if you have an effect. An effect can happen for any number of reasons. The point is BELIEVING without evidence is the stupid thing, this athlete is STUPID for believing a supernatural jewish sky zombie would help him win a race. That is a patently preposterous belief to hold.

Even if there was a "placebo" effect from him "believing" a "god" was helping him, there is no possible way you could determine if that belief was what gave him an advantage. That's the best scenario, on the other hand, for anyone to think a god would look out for them winning a running race, but allow children to die from migration, disease, murder etc makes him a pretty disgusting human being.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:47 pm

super_realist wrote:What is there to explain?  Not knowing what pill you have doesn't mean you should believe you have the correct pill. The point is BELIEVING without evidence is the stupid thing, this athlete is STUPID for believing a supernatural jewish sky zombie would help him win a race. That is a patently preposterous belief to hold.

Even if there was a "placebo" effect from him "believing" a "god" was helping him, there is no possible way you could determine if that belief was what gave him an advantage. That's the best scenario, on the other hand, for anyone to think a god would look out for them winning a running race, but allow children to die from migration, disease, murder etc makes him a pretty disgusting human being.

Hmmm maybe it's a bit much to take in, but the placebo effect is exactly the same as religion in this context. No one knows why an injection of saline solution should be better for someone than a small red sugar pill but extensive studies have shown this to absolutely be the case. If this man believes that 'god' helped him achieve his performance then how can you, a self confessed scot say that it didn't? Whether you believe or not is immaterial, it would be like saying that not believing in 'god' always makes that person an offensive prat.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:57 pm

In this case it's absolutely NOT the case that the two are comparable. A placebo experiment is DOUBLE BLIND and CONTROLLED. There are way too many factors in the life of an athlete to ever prove that the placebo effect is what gives him an advantage and frankly I expected better from you Monty.

I don't care if this idiot thinks a zombie helped him, the thing about it is that holding such a belief shows him to be an arrogant, self obsessed, egotistical pr1ck with no perspective of his position on this earth. He's a disgusting person for coming out with such a statement when there have been billions of people throughout history with the same beliefs and convictions, and who have suffered and died horribly, but he doesn't give a toss, so long as that god ignores them, permits suffering to continue but helps him win a race. What an utter c word and the interviewer should have taken the opportunity to extract some urine from the moron.

Self confessed Scot? What are you on about?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:59 pm

Yes monty, but him jabbering about it is what makes him look stupid. Similarly no one would claim that a myserious pill or tying the shoe lace in a particular way was the secret behind a success.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:14 pm

super_realist wrote:In this case it's absolutely NOT the case that the two are comparable. A placebo experiment is DOUBLE BLIND and CONTROLLED. There are way too many factors in the life of an athlete to ever prove that the placebo effect is what gives him an advantage and frankly I expected better from you Monty.  

I don't care if this idiot thinks a zombie helped him, the thing about it is that holding such a belief shows him to be an arrogant, self obsessed, egotistical pr1ck with no perspective of his position on this earth. He's a disgusting person for coming out with such a statement when there have been billions of people throughout history with the same beliefs and convictions, and who have suffered and died horribly, but he doesn't give a toss, so long as that god ignores them, permits suffering to continue but helps him win a race. What an utter c word and the interviewer should have taken the opportunity to extract some urine from the moron.

Self confessed Scot? What are you on about?

Incorrect. Firstly there are many types of study that have proved placebo works, not just the double blind RCTs that you describe. The reason controlled studies are controlled with placebo is historical and it is now common place to compare to the best current treatment. However many big pharma companies don't like using these new protocols as it is much harder for them to prove increased effectiveness against a known treatment.

"the thing about it is that holding such a belief shows him to be an arrogant, self obsessed, egotistical pr1ck with no perspective of his position on this earth". The pot and the kettle spring to mind, especially from a bedsit in Scotland.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:44 pm

Wrong. You can never prove it is the belief you've had the pill which gives you the effect.

Why do you keep going on about Scotland as if it's a less desirable place to live than you do?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:50 pm

Sort of two separate arguments here. It is true that the placebo effect is real and somewhat dose/administration dependent. I.e red pill works better than blue, 2 pills better than one or given by doctor vs given by lab tech.

I don't think anyone is disputing this?

Monty seems to be introducing a further argument that religious beliefs can act as a placebo. Is this the case? Can anyone find any evidence that religious beliefs can give a placebo effect? At the moment I would not be all that happy to accept monty's claim.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:00 pm

It's the comparison with the placebo effect which is wrong. There is simply too many elements in an athletes training schedule to show that any belief in god is giving an advantage. This is also made worse by the fact that there are likely to be other bible thumpers in the race, so how is one person believing causing one to win, but not the others?
This idiot athlete will still have the same belief in their fictitious deity whether they win or not, so the "placebo" effect isn't consistent, so it's not like the traditional placebo medical experiment.

Same in golf, never thank god when they miss the cut do they?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:15 pm

beninho wrote:
McLaren wrote:Beninho

But how many of the Athletes since 1972 were clean?

I've no idea, but carl lewis won it twice and he was always clean.....
Yeah, of course...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:20 pm

McLaren wrote:That guy that broke the 400m WR is definetely part of the bible thumping brigade.  He is "blessed" with being a total moron.
Maybe, but what a run. He's also sub-10 over 100m and sub-20 over 200m. Clearly a huge talent.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:30 pm

If he thinks religion helps him, it may well have done so. Like he cares??? He's just won the men's Olympic 400m in a new WR. I suspect he'll carry on being what he is.

Last thing on religion as it's way off topic, but if you're a believer (in any religion), why would you listen to the rantings of such aggressive atheism? That sort of approach is naturally going to make people on the end of the rant simply close ranks and/or ignore any rational reason why they should listen.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:31 pm

Here is a great picture of the 100 m sprint.

Spoiler:

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:32 pm

If politics supposed to be off topic for the Olymics, surely appeals to fairy tales ought to be too?

I'm not saying he shouldn't believe in whatever he wants, just that he should know he's being an arrogant bumhole to make the comments he did, and his beliefs carry as much weight as believing in invisible pet dragons.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:36 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

Last thing on religion as it's way off topic, but if you're a believer (in any religion), why would you listen to the rantings of such aggressive atheism? That sort of approach is naturally going to make people on the end of the rant simply close ranks and/or ignore any rational reason why they should listen.
well, that should come pretty natural to them then...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:37 pm

GPB wrote:Here is a great picture of the 100 m sprint.

Spoiler:
he looks like the police is chasing him

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:39 pm

GPB

Love that it captures just how much Bolt enjoys it. Must be a great feeling to toy with the rest of the worlds best like that.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:42 pm

Bolt just looks about 20% bigger than everyone else. Must almost be too easy for him, such a poor start too and he still strolled it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:45 pm

Can anyone who knows about the 100m and 200m explain why Bolt is much slower these days. Is it just age?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:46 pm

McLaren wrote:Can anyone who knows about the 100m and 200m explain why Bolt is much slower these days.  Is it just age?
drug testing

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:49 pm

GPB wrote:Here is a great picture of the 100 m sprint.

Spoiler:
Laugh Superb. Gotta love Bolt. Just hope he never gets dinged for positive PED use...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next