The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m

+57
No9
Engine#4
munkian
Collapse2005
Big
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
carpet baboon
beshocked
thebandwagonsociety
robbo277
GunsGermsV2
MichaelT
Gwlad
Sin é
Don Alfonso
ebop
the-goon
Taylorman
aucklandlaurie
Geen sport voor watjes
TightHEAD
Golden
Rugbyjk
demosthenes
Shifty
rodders
geoff999rugby
wayne
True Raven
SecretFly
asoreleftshoulder
nlpnlp
LeinsterFan4life
RDW
Gooseberry
fa0019
GunsGerms
Notch
kingelderfield
brennomac
Exiledinborders
wolfball
Welly
TheMildlyFranticLlama
doctor_grey
Pete330v2
funnyExiledScot
marty2086
Cyril
Hazel Sapling
TrailApe
BamBam
Irish Londoner
Senlac
No 7&1/2
LordDowlais
Pot Hale
61 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m - Page 10 Empty Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m

Post by Sin é Mon 08 Aug 2016, 9:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Venues announced and both Govs underwriting cost.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/government-to-underwrite-320m-in-bid-for-2023-rugby-world-cup-414609.html

Croke Park, The Aviva stadium, RDS in Dublin; (3)
Casement Park and Kingspan Stadium in Belfast (2)
Pairc Uí Chaoimh in Cork;

These include Croke Park, the Aviva Stadium and the RDS in Dublin;
Casement Park and Kingspan Stadium in Belfast;
Pairc Uí Chaoimh in Cork;
Thomond Park, Limerick;
Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney;
Pearse Stadium, Galway;
McHale Park in Castlebar;
Nowlan Park, Kilkenny;
and Celtic Park in Derry.

Great to see how evenly spread around the island (Derry & Kilkenny for example).

The operational costs for redeveloping some of these venues and bringing them up to standards and sizes for the tournament is estimated to cost in the region of €60m.

I think we have a good chance.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m - Page 10 Empty Re: Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 01 Nov 2017, 12:11 pm

Me too. It seems that the evaluation process is weighted to favourably towards nations that can offer the most money and have the best stadia. Not necessarily the criteria that would make a good world cup.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m - Page 10 Empty Re: Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m

Post by SecretFly Wed 08 Nov 2017, 11:51 am

I'm glad we're not getting it. My living room was on the list of possible stadiums to be used in an emergency situation. Who would have paid for cleaning the carpet?

Anyway, we won on every heading except size, infrastructure, money making ability, stadiums, sun, sea, sand and Killorglin. Killorglin was classed as a perfect little Irish village by the adjudicators. It just fell down on being too small and hokey to be 'villagy' (their term, not mine) enough for the seasonal professional rugby traveller who need their eight star thatched cottages with the 15 course breakfasts before they really feel like they're getting the Irish experience.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 19 Nov 2017, 8:59 pm

Interesting article here on bid. Seems the grassroots in Scotland and Wales are not at all happy about the way WRU & SRU boards voted.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/why-ireland-feels-betrayed-the-inside-story-of-how-lack-of-support-from-scottish-and-welsh-allies-doomed-world-cup-bid-36332772.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 19 Nov 2017, 9:20 pm

Just after reading that as you speak, Sin. Interesting piece and gives more details of the 'dance' that finally shafted us than I've seen to date.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Mon 20 Nov 2017, 12:32 pm

Sin é wrote:Interesting article here on bid. Seems the grassroots in Scotland and Wales are not at all happy about the way WRU & SRU boards voted.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/why-ireland-feels-betrayed-the-inside-story-of-how-lack-of-support-from-scottish-and-welsh-allies-doomed-world-cup-bid-36332772.html

Fancy denigrating the great name of Ray Gravell in such an arrogant, self unaware article.

The Irish rugby community should be thoroughly ashamed of these articles. They are placing huge blame on other nations and people instead of looking at what went wrong with their own bid. Not an ounce of self analysis to be seen. What goes around comes around? Perhaps that's more accurate than the Irish realise.

Utterly pathetic. Wholly unsurprising

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Nov 2017, 12:48 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote: What goes around comes around? Perhaps that's more accurate than the Irish realise.

Oh so by implication, what went around already came around in the decision? So the Irish were right in the first place?

OK So it's our turn next to put the stick in the spokes? Relax... and just enjoy the feelings of arrogant, self-unaware, pathetic and wholly uninspiring contempt you'll savour when it happens.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 20 Nov 2017, 1:58 pm

Ray Gravell, John O'Driscoll, Ollie Campbell, Peter Wheeler, Jim Renwick, Derek Quinnell, Phil Bennett, Syd Millar - all legends from a different era, an amateur era where players (mostly) played for the same club and nation all their life. The heat of battle on the field forged friendships off it, because it was first and foremost a gentleman's game when a handshake was binding...

The game now measures loyalty in pounds rather than words, and it was naive of these former Irish gentlemen players to think that they could rely on the soft spoken words of their home Union counterparts, when money was also screaming for their attention.

What is at least obvious from this whole unedifying saga is that in the professional era there should be no place for a backstreet vote auction, particularly where some nations have far more votes than others.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 20 Nov 2017, 3:48 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:
Sin é wrote:Interesting article here on bid. Seems the grassroots in Scotland and Wales are not at all happy about the way WRU & SRU boards voted.

Fancy denigrating the great name of Ray Gravell in such an arrogant, self unaware article.

The Irish rugby community should be thoroughly ashamed of these articles. They are placing huge blame on other nations and people instead of looking at what went wrong with their own bid.  Not an ounce of self analysis to be seen. What goes around comes around? Perhaps that's more accurate than the Irish realise.

Its not denigrated. Gravell was obviously a great pal of those who were asked to speak at his commemorative lunch.

What I find more interesting in this article is that there is no mention of the WRU's Chairman Gareth Davies being on the same Lions Tour to SA in 1980.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 20 Nov 2017, 4:09 pm

Jeez - give it a rest.

Endlessly poking through the entrails to no avail.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Nov 2017, 4:21 pm

Quit being arrogant and self-unaware, Pot!  You wrote a damn thread celebrating the boxing match.  You're Frankenstein and now you're telling the monster to cop onto himself and stop being so beastly?  It's too late, the electric current is in him.... and we all know what Sin is like when he's been electrocuted a little....

Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m - Page 10 Doc-from-Back-to-the-Futu-012

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 20 Nov 2017, 5:53 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Jeez - give it a rest.

I find the politics of it all fun.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 20 Nov 2017, 8:34 pm

Sin é wrote:

Fair enough. Work away so.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Nov 2017, 8:56 pm

Apologies for my never ending allusions and metaphors. Allusions and metaphors.... damn them to hell.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 20 Nov 2017, 10:29 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Fair enough.  Work away so.

Oh thanks thumbsup
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 20 Nov 2017, 10:40 pm

I'm a bit behind on this. Is it all done (ie France) bar the shouting?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 20 Nov 2017, 10:53 pm

Its quite telling that France won the bid having hosted it relatively recently and in the face of an official reccommendation for South Africa and a once in a lifetime (or more) opportunity for Ireland. Clearly commercial power trumps all. Not a particularly good outcome although its a safe tried and tested selction after experimianting with expanding the sport in Japan.

Perhaps, in hindsight, World Rugby were aware of this and the commissioned reported may have been slanted in South Africas favour in an attempt to overcome this because on paper the French bid seemed stronger and more secure.

Ireland it would seem had a lot of support which ended up being soft support. They were obviously confident in the bid but I think were guilty of underestimating how formidable to commercial power of the French bid and overestimated the extend to which the hearts and minds aspect of their bid. They seemed to think if they could elimate France or South Africa in round 1 then they would pick up most of the support in round 2. That looks unlikely to me. It wouldnt be worth their while bidding again under the current structure.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 20 Nov 2017, 11:04 pm

Sin é wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Fair enough.  Work away so.

Oh thanks thumbsup

Welcome.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Nov 2017, 11:11 pm

Cyril wrote:I'm a bit behind on this. Is it all done (ie France) bar the shouting?

No.  France only won on a technicality so we're bringing them to the court of human rights in the Hague to make them prove that their bid was free of animal products and only consumed two pints of carbon, like they claimed on the small print.

Yahoo We have the buggers!!!!  They included the small print, the fools!  We were wise enough to burn ours before sending our bid in.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 20 Nov 2017, 11:16 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Cyril wrote:I'm a bit behind on this. Is it all done (ie France) bar the shouting?

No.  France only won on a technicality so we're bringing them to the court of human rights in the Hague to make them prove that their bid was free of animal products and only consumed two pints of carbon, like they claimed on the small print.

Yahoo We have the buggers!!!!  They included the small print, the fools!  We were wise enough to burn ours before sending our bid in.
Ah, that's ok then. Don't worry, Qatar are waiting in the wings to mop up any necessary staging requirements (with a few group games in Cardiff to cover prior agreements)  Very Happy

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 21 Nov 2017, 12:32 pm

Thinking about this, don't World Rugby always do this ?

And I mean this, in the fact, they always a take a risky world cup, but then put a banker in afterwards.

New Zealand in 2011, then a banker in England, Japan in 2019, than a banker in France.

Perhaps Ireland will have a better chance for the 2027 world cup, it's only ten years away, it will be around before we know it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 Nov 2017, 12:52 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Thinking about this, don't World Rugby always do this ?

And I mean this, in the fact, they always a take a risky world cup, but then put a banker in afterwards.

New Zealand in 2011, then a banker in England, Japan in 2019, than a banker in France.

Perhaps Ireland will have a better chance for the 2027 world cup, it's only ten years away, it will be around before we know it.

But will we be around?  I don't give a damn about my decendents!  F**k 'em.  I'm only in it for ME!!!! Cool

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10