The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gregor Townsend to become Scotland Head Coach in June 2017

+17
lostinwales
Pot Hale
profitius
George Carlin
TheMildlyFranticLlama
nickj
bsando
BamBam
BigGee
Tattie Scones RRN
Hazel Sapling
funnyExiledScot
NeilyBroon
toml
GLove39
RDW
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gregor Townsend to become Scotland Head Coach in June 2017 Empty Gregor Townsend to become Scotland Head Coach in June 2017

Post by RDW Wed 17 Aug 2016, 1:39 pm

Scottish Rugby has today confirmed Glasgow Warriors Head Coach, Gregor Townsend will replace Vern Cotter as Scotland Head Coach at the end of the 2016/17 season.

Current Scotland Head Coach Vern Cotter’s contract ends in June 2017 and Scottish Rugby has announced its intention to install former Scotland internationalist Gregor Townsend into the role when his current contract with Glasgow Warriors also ends at the same time.

Townsend has been Head Coach at Guinness PRO12 side Glasgow Warriors since 2012, leading them to the play-offs in every season, culminating with his team becoming the first Scottish professional side to win the league title in 2015.

Acknowledged as one of the most respected coaches in the northern hemisphere Townsend has regularly attracted interest from teams across Europe and the southern hemisphere in recent seasons leading Scottish Rugby to move to secure his services through to 2020 as Scotland Head Coach.

Vern Cotter started as Scotland Head Coach in the summer of 2014, starting with a summer tour which saw wins over USA, Canada and Argentina. His appointment came after eight years leading ASM Clermont Auvergne in the French Top 14 league.

Under his leadership the team won the Top 14 Championship in 2010 and held a 77 game unbeaten home record between 2009-2013. Having ended his playing career in France in 1999 Cotter returned to his native New Zealand to coach Bay of Plenty in the NPC.

He then joined Super 12 side Crusaders as forwards coach between 2004-2006 where they won back to back Super Rugby titles before returning to France with Clermont.

Scottish Rugby Chief Executive, Mark Dodson said:

Gregor’s abilities as a head coach are evident and he is increasingly becoming one of the most sought after coaches in the game.

"I have been charged with developing Scottish coaches and believe the time is now right to secure Gregor’s talents, as we build towards the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

Vern Cotter has made a considerable impact on the development of the Scotland national side during his tenure. His rugby philosophy of setting high standards with a big emphasis on skill development has had a positive effect throughout Scottish rugby.

"He has helped instil self-belief, determination and put a lot of pride into the jersey for players and fans alike and for this, both myself, and Scottish Rugby would like to thank him for this significant contribution to the game in Scotland.

“We will continue to work with Vern in the season ahead as we are both determined to have a successful autumn test series and 2017 RBS 6 Nations.

“He has worked to bring out the best in our Scottish players and secured some notable victories along the way. No-one will forget our Rugby World Cup 2015 journey as Vern led the team to the quarter-finals and so nearly a semi-final.

“However the Board and I now believe the time is right to take the development of the national team forward with Gregor.

“Gregor’s playing record as a Scotland internationalist and British Lion showed he is a man of vision and great professionalism, which he has since successfully transferred into his coaching roles, firstly with Scotland and subsequently Glasgow Warriors.

"It is these factors which I feel will enable Scotland to continue its forward momentum, building on the strong foundations laid by Vern, with the current group of players and future Scotland internationals.”

Scottish Rugby is now undergoing a recruitment process to find a replacement for Townsend at Glasgow Warriors for the 2017/18 season.

Speaking on his appointment Gregor Townsend said:

I am incredibly proud to take on the Scotland Head Coach role at the end of the season. It is a real honour to be given the responsibility of coaching the national team and I look forward to working with such an impressive group of players.

"I’d like to thank Scottish Rugby for this opportunity and also the supporters, players and staff at Glasgow Warriors for their support over the past four years. My focus is firmly on the season ahead with Glasgow and I will be doing all I can to help the club continue to progress this year."

Scotland Head Coach Vern Cotter said:

Since taking up this role I believe we have moved forward as a group by working to execute the simple things well. Developing skillsets and mindsets has been important to help perform on the international stage.

"The focus has been to respect tradition but also perform in the present, be adaptive and innovative. I have been really pleased with the progress that has been made in all areas.

“The players, and my management group, have enjoyed working hard to give the fans and Scottish Rugby results and performances to be proud of.

“I intend to remain focused on the upcoming Autumn Internationals and remaining Scotland matches in 2017.”

Director of Rugby, Scott Johnson said: “Vern has worked hard to both enhance the skills of our existing Scotland internationals and bring a number of young players into the national team set up along the way.

"His attention to detail and focus on playing to Scotland’s strength has ensured we are a tough team to play against with a sharper attack and better defence.

“We now have an opportunity for this group of players to keep developing with Gregor with the added benefit that many of them will know his approach and have worked with him on a daily basis with Glasgow Warriors.

That continuity, and the chance for a Scottish coach to also develop will, I believe, continue to improve Scotland’s rugby across the board.”

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Gregor Townsend to become Scotland Head Coach in June 2017 Empty Re: Gregor Townsend to become Scotland Head Coach in June 2017

Post by GLove39 Wed 17 Aug 2016, 1:45 pm

Well it was always forecast, but the timing is interesting to say the least. Toonie will take over 2 years out from the RWC, the one we were supposedly building towards with Vern..?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Gregor Townsend to become Scotland Head Coach in June 2017 Empty Re: Gregor Townsend to become Scotland Head Coach in June 2017

Post by RDW Wed 17 Aug 2016, 1:47 pm

And Cotter is leaving Scotland in time for the Lions tour - forwards coach?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Wed 17 Aug 2016, 1:49 pm

Stinks a bit.

Cotter hasn't had much of a go

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 17 Aug 2016, 1:51 pm

toml wrote:Stinks a bit.

Cotter hasn't had much of a go

He joined in 2014 so 3 years is a reasonable time served for an international coach. Plus remember that he was meant to join 18 months earlier but SRU completely messed it up - perhaps this was always the (very) long term plan!

On the plus side it means that the 6N will no longer have so few home grown coaches!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 17 Aug 2016, 1:54 pm

Mixed feelings really... I'm glad a scot is in charge but I think vern was doing a decent job. I think he wants a team that win. This doesn't bode well for next season

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Aug 2016, 1:56 pm

I find the whole thing very odd. I sincerely hope it has nothing to do with Rabbitgate.

We had to suffer a whole season of Scott Johnson to get to Vern Cotter, and on the whole he's done a good job in a relatively short space of time. I had always assume he'd go after the next World Cup, and that Toonie would take over at that point, but this feels rather rushed.

Still, I do think Toonie is a useful coach, and his Tombola antics won't last long with Scotland.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 17 Aug 2016, 1:59 pm

It certainly is a big risk for Townsend and his reputation. It is very difficult for Scotland to compete at the top level and he could find himself in the same position as many Scottish coaches before him - only managing to win 1 or 2 6N games and pulling off the odd shock in big one off games, but generally losing when it matters. We could have the best coach in the world but we certainly don't have the best players.

It would have been a much safer option for him to take the offer of a big English or French club, who would have much better odds of success.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Aug 2016, 2:04 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:It certainly is a big risk for Townsend and his reputation. It is very difficult for Scotland to compete at the top level and he could find himself in the same position as many Scottish coaches before him - only managing to win 1 or 2 6N games and pulling off the odd shock in big one off games, but generally losing when it matters. We could have the best coach in the world but we certainly don't have the best players.

It would have been a much safer option for him to take the offer of a big English or French club, who would have much better odds of success.

Were they offering though?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 17 Aug 2016, 2:06 pm

According to the article, yes.

Acknowledged as one of the most respected coaches in the northern hemisphere Townsend has regularly attracted interest from teams across Europe and the southern hemisphere in recent seasons leading Scottish Rugby to move to secure his services through to 2020 as Scotland Head Coach.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 17 Aug 2016, 2:15 pm

Vern should have been kept until 2019 RWC. Far too soon but if Cotter wants to go, then so be it. Wonder who will want the Glasgow mantle.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Aug 2016, 2:19 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:According to the article, yes.

I read that, but it's the first I'd heard of it. Pretty sure the rules are that all job offers for Toonie should be routed via me.

I think he's a fine coach and an obvious choice to replace Cotter, but I didn't really think that Cotter needed replacing (other than his persistent selection of Ryan Wilson).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 17 Aug 2016, 2:27 pm

Just a thought here, imagine if Cotter were to lead us to a first ever 6Nations title next year. Imagine what an awkward situation that'd be

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 17 Aug 2016, 2:30 pm

GLove39 wrote:Just a thought here, imagine if Cotter were to lead us to a first ever 6Nations title next year. Imagine what an awkward situation that'd be

I think it's fair to say I would happily accept the awkwardness for a 6N title!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 17 Aug 2016, 2:32 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
GLove39 wrote:Just a thought here, imagine if Cotter were to lead us to a first ever 6Nations title next year. Imagine what an awkward situation that'd be

Very true!
But just on the off chance, imagine the feeling of then kicking out our most successful coach to date!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Aug 2016, 2:38 pm

GLove39 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Very true!
But just on the off chance, imagine the feeling of then kicking out our most successful coach to date!

I'm sure Scott Johnson would find a nice phrase to soften the blow for us.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 17 Aug 2016, 2:46 pm

So what are people’s thoughts on Townsend as the national coach?

His main strengths have been regular contact with players and developing them on a daily basis. He has also done a great job of building a culture at Glasgow but it has very much been a long-term project

These are things that he will struggle to replicate with Scotland given his significantly reduced contact time with the players. The head coach has to be a master tactician and someone who can get the best out of his players at short notice – will that suit his style?

Also, you don’t see many international teams playing the Glasgow way – is he likely to try keep his high-risk high-reward style or take a more pragmatic view?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 17 Aug 2016, 2:46 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Vern should have been kept until 2019 RWC. Far too soon but if Cotter wants to go, then so be it. Wonder who will want the Glasgow mantle.

Ben Ryan?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 17 Aug 2016, 2:58 pm

I can only imagine that this must have been Cotter's decision, either that or the SRU were terrified they might be starting to look competent. Don't get me wrong I don't think Townsend is a bad choice but the timing is so incredibly bizarre.

I understand to an extent that they wanted to keep Townsend in Scotland but surely it wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost him to England or France for 5-10 years before he came back to coach Scotland, maybe even had a gig as the coach of another "smaller" international team. The best team in the Northern Hemisphere is coached by a man with nearly twenty years international experience the best team in the world by a man with a similar amount. Giving the job to a man with fewer than five years coaching experience over Cotter would be bordering on insane.

If it's the SRU's decision I can only imagine it's a response to the rabbit incident but it doesn't seem to have been a massive deal, unless the attitude in Scotland is different as I've barely been north over the summer. Perhaps he's been offered a place in the New Zealand set up with a view to taking over from Hansen after 2019.

I suspect the reasons will come out over the coming months but quite remarkably it will mean that Ian McGeechan was the last Scotland coach to be given an entire cycle before a world cup.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:04 pm

I did not see that coming either, VC looks like he has been shoved, did he want to stay on or not, not very clear? The lions forward slot does remain a big possibility for him though, has that anything to do with it?

Maybe the SRU did have its hand forced and Toonie thinks he has gone as far as he can with Glasgow. Signing a one year contract was always an indication of his intention, that will be 5 years at the helm, which is a decent stint at the end of the day. I do beleive that Toonie is hot property and would have had offers from elsewhere, decent ones as well.

It is not necesserily what I would have preferred either, but it is exciting to see what Toonie can do with the national team. I am sure if he did not fancy that he could improve it, he would not be going for it. He has surprised us as a coach and hopefully he will continue to do so!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:06 pm

Ben Ryan would make quite a bit of sense at Glasgow. Assistant this year to learn how to use the Tombola followed by attracting all the best Fijians to the Weegie. Another name that sprung to mind was Mike Blair but it is probably too soon for Glasgow. Edinburgh might be easier for him to build experience with.

Cotter must be off to NZ for one of the franchises in a last audition before 2019. Surely the SRU are too cheap to buy him out of his contract.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:14 pm

I personally don't see the issue with Townsend going elsewhere before getting a shot at the Scotland job, if he'd taken the Quins job this summer he'd have four years with Glasgow and four years at and English club before taking over from Scotland after 2019. He'd know a lot of the Scotland players still and would have had the experience of coaching a side with more resources and players like Yarde, Roberts, Evans etc. and would have had a genuine chance over four years at winning the European Cup. If he'd achieved that he would be taking the Scotland with a better record than Vern Cotter, if he'd failed then it would be a learning curve for him. Meanwhile someone like Mike Blair could have taken over at Glasgow with the same coaching staff to ease the transition. Losing Townsend for four years could easily have been a positive and unlike with a foreign coach you'd like to think that whenever Townsend wanted to go into international coaching his first and last choice would always be Scotland.

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:14 pm

I've got to ask .. what is the rabbit incident !

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:15 pm

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/697356/Animal-rights-activists-fury-Scotland-Rugby-Union-Vern-Cotter-Jim-Hamilton

Apologies for the express...

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:18 pm

Big news for Scottish Rugby!

I understand some peoples concerns regarding Townsends reputation. However, I think it is the right step forward because this season at Glasgow may flop and then interest with an English or European super club may diminish.

Cotter has been outstanding, I am sad to see him go but I'm glad we still have Autumn tests and 6N still to come with him at the helm.

New Glasgow coach will be interesting.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:23 pm

If he flops this season at Glasgow then we have a coach who's flopped with a group that makes up the majority of the Scotland team.

We could end up with the mind boggling situation in which Vern Cotter delivers a first six nations title of the century and Townsend flops and then Townsend takes over. Surely it must be Cotter's decision. Also why if Cotter was told he'd been sacked but only in a years time would he agree to stay on?

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:34 pm

As I said I think he doesn't want to put up with limited success. Maybe him and Schmitt got a gig together somewhere...

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:44 pm

Wow. Huge news, but I can't help but feel early announcements like this can be tremendously unsettling. Townsend's got a season to bugger up and suddenly the whole dynamic changes. And all of a sudden, Cotter's a lame duck babysitter. Not quite Pelligrini / Guardiola at City, but you get my point. Feel free to do the deal, but keep it quiet and ignore the rumours.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:50 pm

I can't help but see this as; we managed to get a top level coach, although we made a right mess of it in the process, leaving us with the buffoon for a year, but we've now been unable to hang onto him for as long as we wanted to.

I don't believe for a minute this is down to anything other than Vern giving advance notice that he's off at the end of his current contract. In fact I believe he probably told the SRU when he extended his contract that this would be his last, and since then they've been working on the premise that Toonie would take over, hence his 1 year extension at Glasgow

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:51 pm

Slight side issue, but could this suggest Mike Blair teaking the reigns given that he is now an assistant coach, and could spend the next season being groomed by Townsend (stop sniggering you at the back), or is 1 year as an assistant coach not enough for Blair?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:56 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Slight side issue, but could this suggest Mike Blair teaking the reigns given that he is now an assistant coach, and could spend the next season being groomed by Townsend (stop sniggering you at the back), or is 1 year as an assistant coach not enough for Blair?

Toony was in the same situation before he became glasgow coach...

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:59 pm

Surely one year's not enough. Is it? Surely Matt Taylor or Kenny Murray get first dibs? Matt Taylor was apparently on the Reds list a while back, so maybe if Llama's timeline is correct (it certainly makes sense), Taylor could have been offered the Glasgow gig to stay? Murray would be a popular choice as he's served his time and could be a template for the coach progression pathways Dodson mentions in his statement?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 17 Aug 2016, 4:00 pm

Let's not forget that Alan Solomons will be gone next summer too - so that will be a new coach at Edinburgh (Stevie Scott surely?), Glasgow and Scotland.

A real period of change in Scottish rugby!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 17 Aug 2016, 4:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:So what are people’s thoughts on Townsend as the national coach?
I'm not sure that we can sneak enough Fijians into the starting XV to make his style work.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 17 Aug 2016, 4:30 pm

Gregor Townsend to become Scotland Head Coach in June 2017 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-L1PM3k-FpQPf6dHWtO5jkBz1amFWElu9fv-gYg71_5DglGDX
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 17 Aug 2016, 4:32 pm

I bet himself and Herr Schmidt are teaming up again and going back to NZ.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 17 Aug 2016, 4:46 pm

nickj wrote:Surely one year's not enough. Is it? Surely Matt Taylor or Kenny Murray get first dibs? Matt Taylor was apparently on the Reds list a while back, so maybe if Llama's timeline is correct (it certainly makes sense), Taylor could have been offered the Glasgow gig to stay? Murray would be a popular choice as he's served his time and could be a template for the coach progression pathways Dodson mentions in his statement?
Yes, I agree that it should be Murray first with Blair staying as assistant for a couple of years until he earns his stripes.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Aug 2016, 5:22 pm

George Carlin wrote:
nickj wrote:Surely one year's not enough. Is it? Surely Matt Taylor or Kenny Murray get first dibs? Matt Taylor was apparently on the Reds list a while back, so maybe if Llama's timeline is correct (it certainly makes sense), Taylor could have been offered the Glasgow gig to stay? Murray would be a popular choice as he's served his time and could be a template for the coach progression pathways Dodson mentions in his statement?
Yes, I agree that it should be Murray first with Blair staying as assistant for a couple of years until he earns his stripes.

I'm trying to think of a reason why you'd be so keen on Kenny Murray.....

Matt Taylor would make good sense. Blair should come home.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 17 Aug 2016, 5:22 pm

I think it's a great appointment. Townsend is home grown and is the right person to lead Scotland on - he's done a great job with Glasgow. hopefully, Glasgow can get in a good/better replacement for him.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 17 Aug 2016, 9:12 pm

123456789 wrote:http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/697356/Animal-rights-activists-fury-Scotland-Rugby-Union-Vern-Cotter-Jim-Hamilton

Apologies for the express...

The sort of stuff which drives me nuts. Maybe if people had more 1st hand experience of what it takes to get that lovely meat on the table they might care a little bit more about the actual process.

Anyway apologies - no wish to derail the thread. Interesting times for Scotland and I would assume this would mean the end of Townsend being associated with the Lions

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed 17 Aug 2016, 9:22 pm

I suspect that Mike Blair, like Toonie before him is another golden child of the SRU.

Remember that Blair picked up a severe concussion around the festive period  last season and to all intents and purpose became a full time coach at that point. This means the SRU can argue that he has nearly two seasons as a pro coach, well respected  amongst the players,Lions tourist in 2009, world player of the year nominee etc. etc.

Given that the budget  for attracting new players seems to  have been reduced,for instance losing Nakawara and gaining  a 35 year old former all black hooker with discipline issues being one notable case of a quality down grade . hence the role of head coach at the Weege is less attractive than it was a couple of years ago,making it difficult to attract a seasoned, successful coach, hence wee Mikey is a good bet for the job.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 18 Aug 2016, 1:49 am

sensisball wrote:I suspect that Mike Blair, like Toonie before him is another golden child of the SRU.

Remember that Blair picked up a severe concussion around the festive period  last season and to all intents and purpose became a full time coach at that point. This means the SRU can argue that he has nearly two seasons as a pro coach, well respected  amongst the players,Lions tourist in 2009, world player of the year nominee etc. etc.

Given that the budget  for attracting new players seems to  have been reduced,for instance losing Nakawara and gaining  a 35 year old former all black hooker with discipline issues being one notable case of a quality down grade . hence the role of head coach at the Weege is less attractive than it was a couple of years ago,making it difficult to attract a seasoned, successful coach, hence wee Mikey is a good bet for the job.

I doubt Nakarawa was on all that much if truth be told, he was signed from the Fiji 7s and/or a Fijian club and had limited international experience, if memory serves me right he was recommended by Matawalu. His low wages was probably a key part of his decision to leave, the other was probably when he was told that during international breaks he had a choice between Rory Clegg and Daniel Carter. I would imagine the Namibian who is almost a direct replacement would be on a similar amount to Nakarawa. Glasgow's funding doesn't tend to go down it just doesn't allow for the improvements players make in their time at the club. Scotland internationals probably get paid more and also have the added bonus that they get given much more leeway with regard to international training, fixtures and recovery periods and a lot of the time even that isn't enough. For Nakarawa, who probably was not from a well of background at all, the alternative of higher wages, the chance of top top prizes and playing in a Galactico team albeit in a culturally inferior city was probably too much to turn down (especially when he announced himself as arguably the world's most destructive attacking second row during the World Cup).

In fairness to both Matawalu and Nakarawa they both more than paid back the investment and faith put in them and immersed themselves in the clubs and its aims, unlike perhaps Taqele Naiyarovoro (who account of his almost impossible name to spell and regular slightly below average performances I will never discuss again on this forum). I don't think Matawalu's game has adapted well to the English league, he certainly hasn't lit it up the way he did the Celtic League, although he has played in a struggling Bath, so it'll be interesting to see how Nakarawa gets on in Paris.

Nonetheless I do think Blair will be a success, and will almost certainly be gifted with a role in the Scotland set up or a promotion at Glasgow sooner rather than later. I think Glasgow may end up being one of the main beneficiaries of this entire situation, in modern rugby I think around five years is probably about the right time the average coach should stay before a bit of a shake up at a club. Although I do hope we don't give the keys to our pro clubs to inexperienced coaches and our national side to at guy who has no international experience (or in fact any experience of coaching outside of Scotland) especially when we still have a fairly young squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 18 Aug 2016, 7:08 am

I've got go agree with sensiball - some coaches, like players, are more 'in' than others and someone like Kenny Murray strikes as someone destined to only ever be an assistant of a pro team.

Matt Taylor maybe, he is very likely to be lured back to SR.

Dodson did say they were gonna scour the globe for the best talent available!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 18 Aug 2016, 8:44 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I've got go agree with sensiball - some coaches, like players,  are more 'in' than others and someone like Kenny Murray strikes as someone destined to only ever be an assistant of a pro team.

Dodson has done some good work for the SRU but his people management skills leave something to be desired. This could work out if it's done right, as I said I'm a bit disappointed Cotter has obviously decided to leave after his contract ends, but not entirely surprised. Toonie at least knows the players well, but my concern is he hasn't had coaching experience with anyone else.

Craig Chalmers as a Glasgow wildcard anyone? Wink

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu 18 Aug 2016, 10:12 am

Wonder if Blake going back to NZ for a spell was a consequence of this. Cotter brought him over and gave him his first cap after all saying he was "one for the future", however at club level he rarely featured when the Tombola was dusted off each week. If he feels that Townsend didn't rate him, then its understandable if he see's little or no opportunity to further his international career.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 18 Aug 2016, 12:37 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I've got go agree with sensiball - some coaches, like players,  are more 'in' than others and someone like Kenny Murray strikes as someone destined to only ever be an assistant of a pro team.

Pretty sure he said that before appointing Townsend as well. They scoured the globe and then decided that the bloke sitting next to him in the room was the best option available.

I think they'll make a play of the whole Scottish coaching thing so fully expect Blair, Murray and Scott to be heavily involved in the new structure. There's also a question of who Toonie will want as his assistants at Scotland.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 18 Aug 2016, 12:39 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Pretty sure he said that before appointing Townsend as well. They scoured the globe and then decided that the bloke sitting next to him in the room was the best option available.

I think they'll make a play of the whole Scottish coaching thing so fully expect Blair, Murray and Scott to be heavily involved in the new structure. There's also a question of who Toonie will want as his assistants at Scotland.

Well the current lot are signed up to Summer 2017

http://scottishrugby.org/news/15/12/16/continuity-key-scotland-coaches-agree-extended-terms

Funny how this is all falling into place eh? Whistle

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 18 Aug 2016, 12:57 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37107060

Rory Lawson seems convinced Cotter has had offers from elsewhere, I wonder if perhaps he was offered a role with the Lions and was blocked by the SRU although you'd expect him to have resigned with immediate effect if that was the case.

I just can't see that the SRU would choose to replace Cotter now, the team has gone through steady improvement under his leadership and it definitely felt like the beginning rather than the end as far as he was concerned. Especially when you consider the fanfare when they secured him. All this "keeping Townsend in Scotland" nonsense is winding me up, are we supposed to believe we're now going to keep him forever? If this is the genuine reason they're more stupid than I thought, if Townsend went to England or France or even the Southern Hemisphere (or travelled around all of them as he did as a player) then we'd get a more experienced coach in five to ten years time and a settled Scotland side in the meantime. If, as I suspect, Cotter had other offers and the SRU are trying to save face by making out it was some form of continuity planning then they're doing a good job but I don't see what they'd lose by being honest about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 18 Aug 2016, 1:20 pm

What they lose is face if Cotter is leaving, for say, the Blues job in 2017. If they make it out we are shifting to a home grown coach after 3 years of Cotter, it makes Townsend look like he is the big fish to displace a top coach who led Clermont and the Scotland job is a highly desirable position.

Admittedly I think it is relatively pointless but some people would disagree.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Thu 18 Aug 2016, 3:31 pm

One unforeseen result of Townsend's promotion might be that Ryan Wilson ends up Scotland's most capped player...

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next