The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Six Nations could easily be expanded into the Eight Nations

+17
sad_gimp
robbo277
Tattie Scones RRN
BamBam
Exiledinborders
George Carlin
LondonTiger
beshocked
Gooseberry
No 7&1/2
Welly
Irish Londoner
Sin é
Cyril
TrailApe
Pot Hale
international198
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Six Nations could easily be expanded into the Eight Nations - Page 2 Empty The Six Nations could easily be expanded into the Eight Nations

Post by international198 Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:05 am

First topic message reminder :

There are 2 rest weekends in the current Six Nations so there's room for 2 more teams in the tournament. Romania and Georgia could join without a problem.

It would give Italy some meaningful competition because at the moment they can't compete with France, England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

international198

Back to top Go down

The Six Nations could easily be expanded into the Eight Nations - Page 2 Empty Re: The Six Nations could easily be expanded into the Eight Nations

Post by Mr Tom Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:52 pm

If they played home and away, they would be playing 10 games a year.

Unless the prices were dramatically reduced, I wouldnt be interested in going to all of the home games. That would be £400+ a year for 5 games!

Mr Tom

Back to top Go down

The Six Nations could easily be expanded into the Eight Nations - Page 2 Empty Re: The Six Nations could easily be expanded into the Eight Nations

Post by Exiledinborders Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:50 am

Shifty wrote:Why not just have the 6 natons teams play each other home and away each season?
Job done, more revenue, more interest, less games, and no summer tours which is whats really killing our players, and New Zealand neutralised.  

If you wanted to play during the summer tour time you could eaily add two more teams into the tournament.

Personally I'd like to have an West Europe / North America confereance and a East Europe / Asia conference.  With the winner of each tournament reaching a grand final at the end. 9 games, and 1 more if you win the pool.

West
1 England
2 Wales
3 Ireland
4 France
5 Scotland
6 Italy
7 Germany
8 Spain
9 USA
10 Canada

East
1 Georgia
2 Romania
3 Russia
4 Hong Kong
5 South Korea
6 Japan
7 Ukraine
8 Poland
9 Moldova
10 Czech Republic
There are at least two things wrong with that.

1) Spain and Germany are not good enough to play the current six nations teams. Such games would be commercially unattractive, not good for the development of either those teams or their opponents and possibly dangerous for Spanish and German front rows.
2) The Grand Final would be anything but grand. It would be a predictable pointless exercise.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:15 am

Exiledinborders wrote:There are at least two things wrong with that.

1) Spain and Germany are not good enough to play the current six nations teams. Such games would be commercially unattractive, not good for the development of either those teams or their opponents and possibly dangerous for Spanish and German front rows.
2) The Grand Final would be anything but grand. It would be a predictable pointless exercise.

I agree it so easy to poke holes in the idea. Ideally we could simply play each other home and away using the existing 6 Nations teams, however if we wanted to expand and try something different and look LONG TERM it could work.

Interest in rugby is good in Spain, and they have decent participation rates already. I don't really accept the argument of danger as far as Spain is concerned. Most of their international squad are professioal in the first and second French divisions. With Bordeaux, Bourgoin, Montauban, Biarritz, Bayonne, Perpignan, Narbonne, and Aurillac all represented. Spain actually has over 50,000 adult male rugby union players and 221 clubs.

Germany is different however. After a rugby world cup interest in rugby really spikes and the Germans seem to enjoy the tournament but always wonder why they are not in it. The potential is there, they just need a little help I think. They do have 125 clubs, and 14,000 players so it's not as if the sport doesn't exist there. Sadly if world war 2 had not happened it's likely that Germany would of joined the 4 Nations the same time as France did. Personally I think as rugby is an olympic sport it's likely we will see Germany improve over the coming years in rapid fashion.

There are other things to consider I think the geniune rugby fans would enjoy a trip to Germany or Spain for the 6 Nations. Even leaving out the USA and Canada and adding Portugal and Holland, who wouldn't enjoy going on a rugby trip to those countries? I'm not sure Amsterdam is a great idea, for a lot of Welsh lads but hell why not! Whistle
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2