The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chiefs' Dave Rennie appointed new Glasgow Warriors head coach

+3
SirBurger
yappysnap
George Carlin
7 posters

Go down

Chiefs' Dave Rennie appointed new Glasgow Warriors head coach Empty Chiefs' Dave Rennie appointed new Glasgow Warriors head coach

Post by George Carlin Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:43 pm

Chiefs head coach David Rennie will replace Gregor Townsend as the coach of Glasgow Warriors next year. 

This from the NZ Herald:
Rugby: Dave Rennie signs overseas deal
11:55 PM Friday Aug 19, 2016

Dave Rennie will leave New Zealand rugby at the completion of the 2017 Super Rugby season.

The Chiefs coach has signed a two-year deal with the Glasgow Warriors, replacing Gregor Townsend who is set to become Scotland coach at the start of the 2017/2018 season.

Rennie says it was tough to leave the Chiefs.

"I have loved my time here and leave with a heavy heart. I've been fortunate to work with fantastic people and I am exceptionally proud of the men who represent us and what we have achieved over the past five years."

Rennie coached the Chiefs to back-to-back championships in his first two years in charge, and has made the Super Rugby playoffs in every year of his reign.

The 52-year old formerly coached Wellington, Manawatu and the New Zealand Under-20s, and says an opportunity to take control of a top European side was too good to refuse.

"The opportunity to work with such an exciting group of players at a club that has such big ambitions and a great winning culture was one I couldn't turn down.

"It is no secret I have been interested in coaching abroad and this chance with Scottish Rugby fitted the bill perfectly.

"As a coach, you want to test yourself in new environments with new challenges. The work Gregor and his team have done at the Warriors speaks for itself and I am very motivated to continue that success and build the club."

Rennie will have one last campaign with the Chiefs next season, with the team looking to announce his long-term replacement in the next few months.

Scottish Rugby Union chief executive Mark Dodson said: "It is a clear indication of the progress Scottish Rugby and Glasgow Warriors are making that we can attract a coach of Dave's experience to Scotland to work with our players.

"Gregor has developed a great winning culture at Glasgow Warriors and I'm very confident Dave will be able to build on that solid foundation to bring more success to the club.

"We have a group of talented Scottish players at Glasgow and we want to maintain their progress and this appointment will expose them to fresh ideas and new approaches to the game. Dave's experience at the Chiefs and at New Zealand age-grade level can only help to develop them and the team further."

Warriors managing director Nathan Bombrys added: "We are incredibly proud at Glasgow Warriors that Gregor will be the next Scotland national coach at the end of next season"

- with AAP

I literally cannot think of a better choice as the coach of a professional franchise.

A genuine coup for the SRU and Glasgow rugby. Absolutely bloody outstanding.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chiefs' Dave Rennie appointed new Glasgow Warriors head coach Empty Re: Chiefs' Dave Rennie appointed new Glasgow Warriors head coach

Post by yappysnap Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:32 pm

Brilliant move, apparently he didn't want to leave NZ when quins approached him earlier this season, so I wonder what may have changed?

He's a great coach and I think will do wonders.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Chiefs' Dave Rennie appointed new Glasgow Warriors head coach Empty Re: Chiefs' Dave Rennie appointed new Glasgow Warriors head coach

Post by SirBurger Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:43 pm

yappysnap wrote:Brilliant move, apparently he didn't want to leave NZ when quins approached him earlier this season, so I wonder what may have changed?

His old mate from the Chiefs, Tom Coventry, probably told him about relegation in the Aviva... Very Happy

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:46 pm

Swapsies for Cotter?

Agreed though, huge coup. He was being mentioned as next NZ coach!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:21 am

Great news for the weegies! Rennie is a great coach. It will be interesting to see his backroom selection.

It will be sad to see Cotter go, but I have a feeling he's moving on to bigger things.

Hats off to the SRU. I must admit, Dodson has been a pretty good since his tenure began, apart from a couple of nuggets of course. Micheal Bradley for one, however his saving grace was Edinburgh's amazing Heineken Cup run. And the thing with Cotter not starting for a year after being "hired", meaning a year with Scott Johnson in charge of our national team. Dodson's vision seem's impressively solid. Also, with the announcement of the semi-franchise scheme, for Glasgow & Edinburgh, could hopefully mean a much needed cash boost. The SRU need to get rid of that debt (~£11m). Once that happens, the prospect of more professional teams could become more of a reality.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:03 am

SirBurger wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Brilliant move, apparently he didn't want to leave NZ when quins approached him earlier this season, so I wonder what may have changed?

His old mate from the Chiefs, Tom Coventry, probably told him about relegation in the Aviva... Very Happy

Laugh Laugh

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:24 am

Epic appointment. Glasgow will be champions of Europe with Rennie, you heard it here first.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Glasgow and the SRU getting a lot of plaudits for their Townsend/Rennie appointments. Great bit of planning.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:04 pm

He won't be with Glasgow for long, Wales will snap him up after gatland leaves in 2019 Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down