The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Brook ever return to 147?

Go down

Will Brook ever return to 147? Empty Will Brook ever return to 147?

Post by catchweight on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:46 am

Its pretty well documented that Brook is huge for a welterweight and has to push himself to the limit to make the 147 division. It looks like hes going to be bulking on additional weight for his shot to nothing against Golovkin which I imagine will make it even more unlikely that he will be able to get back down to welterweight comfortable. Also, now waiting in the wings for him is an increasingly impressive looking Errol Spence. This is a great fight for him (by him I mean us the fans), but Im not so sure his management would agree. Assuming he fails to beat Golovkin, he may opt to settle back at the 154 division which is a more natural weight class for him. The 154 division is a bit of a mixed bag. There are quite a few of boxings ugly duckling fighters in there like Trout, Lara, the Charlo brothers and Demetrius Andrade who are good fighters but lack the commercial attraction to make them appeal to the average promoter. But there are also some big money fights like Canelo and Cotto if one can land them. Khan of course is still option and the fight could be made theoretically at 154. None of these fighters currently hold versions of world titles but this would be unlikely to negatively impact the fight commercially. If he doesnt end up going back down to 147, his time there will have been a bit of a waste as he missed out on almost every meaningful fight there but hopefully a credible showing could open some doors in the 154 division for some good fights.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Will Brook ever return to 147? Empty Re: Will Brook ever return to 147?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:27 am

Wouldn't look past this fight....GGG is like Chavez whoever he trashes becomes damaged goods...

Brook can take a shot unlike Khan which unfortunately is likely to be a bad thing in this fight...Macklin..Murray and Geale all were finished after their drubbing....Would pick a pre-GGG Murray to beat Abraham everytime...

I can see Brook fighting Khan at 147 but no one else...Khan seems to be relishing this fight and well he might.....A deflowered and struggling to boil down Brook would be a godsend..

Have no doubts if Kell gets a slow drubbing Khan will sign on the dotted line...

A lot depends on the size of the trashing as to where Brook goes and who he fights..

A quick ko it will be 154.....A slow slapping it will be Khan at 147 and underdog status..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:13 am

I can't see Brook ever making 147 after filling out in the way he has. Any fight against Spence, Thurman, Garcia etc. would likely need to be on a PBC bill in the States and Hearn won't be rushing Brook towards that after already losing DeGale and Selby to Haymon when they box in the U.S.

If Brook puts in an outstanding shift against Golovkin then he will be well placed for a Canelo fight. Should GGG stop him, he will probably face Liam Smith. Khan and Cotto could also be made at 154.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Not coming back to 147, Brook will go to 154, then Errol Spence will move up hopefully and they get it on in the future

Some great fights at 154 for Brook as well

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:20 pm

154 would become quite a tasty division if Brook and Spence joined it with Lara, Canelo, Andrade, Trout, Smith the Charlos etc but although Spence looks very solid I think he'll campaign at welter for quite a while yet. Shame Brook is leaving the mix at welter there were some good fights there I don't buy all this talk of him ducking Spence if he decides to give it a go at 54 that division looks equally as tough as welter but those are two decent divisions at the minute

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:31 pm

There's also the likes of Eubank Jr and Saunders who may want to mix it at 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:40 pm

Can't see Eubank ever fighting at 54, Dave. Saunders could conceivably fight at 54 for just one fight against Canelo but I see that fight taking place at middle probably. I think Saunders and Eubank will always be better suited to middle, In fact I think Eubank will grow into super middle. And become a very good one too

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:42 pm

If the money's there to be made (and English can shut his f*cking hole long enough) I can see them taking a gamble.

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:52 pm

English to shut his hole now you know that's impossible, Dave

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:04 pm

he said recently he has unfinished business at 147 and recently he's had no issues making weight but it's no secret he's a huge welter and Eddie was saying he would probably move up to 154 even before Brook became champ.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:51 pm

I thought he was a natural middle that always had issues making 147...

Supposed to get harder the more you mature...making the weight not progressively easier..

Wish they'd make up their minds...

Let's see what is left of him first.....Stevens, Murray, Macklin and Geale plus most others that have lost have come back worse for wear..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum