The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

+37
sensisball
demosthenes
LondonTiger
TJ
Artful_Dodger
nickj
yappysnap
lostinwales
des
Nematode
reallybored
bsando
Prothero
HongKongCherry
Hazel Sapling
RossAnderson
BigGee
Senlac
MacKnocked-on
R!skysports
NeilyBroon
jimbopip
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
GLove39
Tattie Scones RRN
EST
Eejit
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
IanBru
cakeordeath
EWT Spoons
George Carlin
RDW
A Simply Mesmeric Try
41 posters

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 25 Aug 2016, 4:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 Jessie10          Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 Glasgo10
Edinburgh & Glasgow Warriors

A Not So Brief History of Time-Wasting   (click to show/hide):

Guinness Pro12

Edinburgh - Fixtures & Results   (click to show/hide):

Youtube playlist of all of Edinburgh's Pro12 action here.

Glasgow Warriors - Fixtures & Results   (click to show/hide):

Youtube playlist of all of Glasgow's Pro12 action here.

Europe

Champions Cup - Glasgow Warriors   (click to show/hide):

Challenge Cup - Edinburgh   (click to show/hide):

1872 Cup

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 Trophy

Champions                Runner up
Edinburgh                  Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRwKYyik1ZsD3_NYcbnfefbOA7hTaw1Oo_88AYpdNDsajawQmV  Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnVncYalRPIL7Z-Ia2Em4LrCX8uZulmt1PKHCS4z5p5kPxIEYs

1872 Cup - Past Results   (click to show/hide):

The season has commenced

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 1347041234 Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 1347041234

Last edited by A Simply Mesmeric Try on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 4:23 pm; edited 40 times in total (Reason for editing : Added links to YouTube playlists of Pro12 highlights)
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by BigGee Wed 12 Oct 2016, 2:32 pm

Very happy to be keeping Hoggy at Glasgow. With a young family he may well be happy to stay put, but don't believe he and the SRU were not aware of his market rate and they will have had to get very close to it to have secured him.

This may well all be tied up with this plan to get some external investment into the Pro team, the SGM is looming in just over 2 weeks.

Hoggy will no doubt now be the highest played player in Scotland but a few of the others with contracts coming up for renewal will also be looking for a decent rise. We are not going to be able to afford that on our current budget, so in reality we need more money or we will be losing some of our best players.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 12 Oct 2016, 2:32 pm

I know Laidlaw is small, but check him out next to this normal sized bottle!

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread XIII - Camp Crystal Meth - Page 12 CukSwt8XYAA1bqj

Sorry I'm incredibly bored at work.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 12 Oct 2016, 2:38 pm

BigGee wrote:Very happy to be keeping Hoggy at Glasgow. With a young family he may well be happy to stay put, but don't believe he and the SRU were not aware of his market rate and they will have had to get very close to it to have secured him.

This may well all be tied up with this plan to get some external investment into the Pro team, the SGM is looming in just over 2 weeks.

Hoggy will no doubt now be the highest played player in Scotland but a few of the others with contracts coming up for renewal will also be looking for a decent rise. We are not going to be able to afford that on our current budget, so in reality we need more money or we will be losing some of our best players.

Good point. I wouldn't be overly surprised if the two things were linked. Like you say, it all comes down to money.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 12 Oct 2016, 2:44 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Wow, that's great news for Glasgow as I'm sure he would have had a lot of offers. I think Glasgow is the best place for him to be just now and Glasgow would not be able to replace him with a player of equivalent quality.

Perhaps having a baby has made him want to settle down - he'll still be right in his prime in 2019 so am sure he could go and make his millions then.

What about Peter Murchie?

Seriously though, great news for Glasgow and Scottish Rugby, and well done to Greg Laidlaw as well for cashing in taking on a new challenge.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 12 Oct 2016, 2:47 pm

I hope the next big (re)signing is Nel.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Oct 2016, 3:12 pm

I see that Tomas Leonardi has popped up at Leicester Tiggers.

That man must have a very good agent.

Well done to Laidlaw - he deserves it and I hope kicks on even more. You have to respect players who have improved their game and he is clearly one of those.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 12 Oct 2016, 3:35 pm

Hopefully the move to Clermont doesn't signal his Int. retirement as was mentioned I think on this board previously.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 12 Oct 2016, 3:53 pm

Apparently Hoggy wont be moving "abroad" until English is no longer his second language.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 12 Oct 2016, 4:51 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Hopefully the move to Clermont doesn't signal his Int. retirement as was mentioned I think on this board previously.

You would imagine that Laidlaw will be winding down his international career, probably not a case of if, but when. He is 31 now surely won't be going to the next WC and therefore Scotland need to be bringing on the next generation. He will also find that the demands of trying to play on the two fronts will take a lot more out of him, especially with the extra travel it will now involve. I can see an announcement coming at some stage, maybe at the end of this years 6 nations.

Laidlaw's style may not be quite how Toonie sees Scotland playing as he takes up the reins as well. The only question would be, who would step into his shoes, no-one yet quite putting their hands up!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 12 Oct 2016, 5:54 pm

I would guess Pyrgos will get the immediate reins with Price the back up at this point. Steele and SHC are ready to compete for the spot in 2017/2018 (when promotion and form allows respectively). Fraser, Horne and that bloke in France are all potentially in with a chance of being ready by 2019/2020.

As for Laidlaw, I reckon he will keep playing for a bit longer than next 6 nations. Maybe after the tour in Aus or the year after's 6 nations when he will be 32. His 31st birthday is today so he is not that old.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 13 Oct 2016, 8:44 am

Quite interesting looking at my Timehop this morning (an app that tells you what you posted on social media on on each day looking back over the years) - apparently this time last year Jonny Gray and Ross Ford were handed their ridiculous bans following the Samoa game in the world cup.

Judging by the vast number of Facebook and Twitter posts I wasn't overly happy about it....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 13 Oct 2016, 11:56 am

I remember being absolutely livid with the bans, then a few days later, Mr Joubert came into my life.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 13 Oct 2016, 11:58 am

nickj wrote:I remember being absolutely livid with the bans, then a few days later, Mr Joubert came into my life.

Likewise. Joubert taught me the meaning of angry.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 13 Oct 2016, 11:59 am

It was certainly a dark few days in Scottish rugby history!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 13 Oct 2016, 11:59 am

George Carlin wrote:I see that Tomas Leonardi has popped up at Leicester Tiggers.

That man must have a very good agent.

Well done to Laidlaw - he deserves it and I hope kicks on even more. You have to respect players who have improved their game and he is clearly one of those.

Remarkable, although are you sure it's in a rugby playing capacity?

He wasn't actually a bad player, just very average. A bit like James Eddie.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 13 Oct 2016, 2:03 pm

Glasgow posting on Facebook that they have a big announcement this afternoon

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 13 Oct 2016, 2:13 pm

cakeordeath wrote:Glasgow posting on Facebook that they have a big announcement this afternoon

And I was a day off. Ignore this, never mind. Move on, nothing to see here

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 13 Oct 2016, 2:17 pm

Laugh

laughing

The good thing above being a mod/admin is that you can delete stupid posts like that so no-ones knows what you said!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 13 Oct 2016, 4:42 pm

Has Joubert been named as the ref for the AI with Aus yet?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 13 Oct 2016, 5:25 pm

tigertattie wrote:Has Joubert been named as the ref for the AI with Aus yet?

Hopefully he'll be running the line. I'm sure the Scotland faithful will have a few words of encouragement for him.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 14 Oct 2016, 7:34 am

Hogg is supposedly on 375k a year, making him the highest paid pro player in Scotland. He also has a 2nd sprog on the way and that probably had a big bearing on things too

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/champions-cup/stuart-hogg-family-and-rugby-come-before-big-pay-day-1-4257622

I can't get my head round the fact that he's only 24!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 14 Oct 2016, 8:55 am

That is probably approaching the going rate for established world class international players. A few of the others we have, Johnny G, Finn and Tommy S will be looking for something near to that when it is there time to sign up again. It is not going to be easy to hang on to all of them.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 14 Oct 2016, 10:57 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Hogg is supposedly on 375k a year, making him the highest paid pro player in Scotland. He also has a 2nd sprog on the way and that probably had a big bearing on things too

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/champions-cup/stuart-hogg-family-and-rugby-come-before-big-pay-day-1-4257622

I can't get my head round the fact that he's only 24!

Agreed. He seems happy at Glasgow, is playing well, has a young family and is now being paid what must be pretty close to market rate. I'm sure he could earn a bit more somewhere else, but this seems a pretty good deal all round.

BigGee's point is a good one. The benchmark for salaries has just moved north, and when Seymour, Gray and Russell come to negotiate, then I suspect something will have to give. I doubt the SRU will be able to afford to keep them all on £300k+.

Edinburgh will have our own battle I suspect with WP Nel and, when the time comes, Cornell Du Preez. Nel would be my priority.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 14 Oct 2016, 11:03 am

Usually when players become SQ they sign a new deal so it doesn't look like they bugger off as soon as they become qualified - I suspect CDP will at least stay on another year (if he isn't already?)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 14 Oct 2016, 11:11 am

Hopefully the new TV deal that comes into effect for the Pro 12 ups the money by a couple of million for the 2 clubs. That could be the difference between retaining the cream of the crop and settling for good club players. Sadly some players will have to move on to accommodate the future stars as well. Ford could have been lost last season without losing much for example. Dickinson could leave as the replacements already exist in Sutherland and Dell.

I suspect Seymour will be the one who moves on. Pace is the first thing that goes and can be more easily replaced. Think Russell and Gray are key to build around. Fagerson has the potential to become that as well.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 14 Oct 2016, 11:12 am

Well I certainly hope so. Manu can't withstand a stiff breeze, and must by now be pretty chummy with Grant Gilchrist. We need CDP.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 14 Oct 2016, 11:53 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:Hopefully the new TV deal that comes into effect for the Pro 12 ups the money by a couple of million for the 2 clubs. That could be the difference between retaining the cream of the crop and settling for good club players. Sadly some players will have to move on to accommodate the future stars as well. Ford could have been lost last season without losing much for example. Dickinson could leave as the replacements already exist in Sutherland and Dell.

I suspect Seymour will be the one who moves on. Pace is the first thing that goes and can be more easily replaced. Think Russell and Gray are key to build around. Fagerson has the potential to become that as well.

This is a good point, although I'm not sure how aggressive Edinburgh would be in getting rid of two loyal stalwarts.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:15 pm

just seen the Edinburgh team for their visit to Romania. Surely that is a much stronger team than they needed to pick for a game like this, not far off full strength. They really aught to win this very comfortably.

I would have thougth they would have taken the chance to give a few of them a rest and avoid such a long trip.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:17 pm

So Edinburgh have a match day 21 for tomorrow's game.  Any idea why we would forego the extra 2 subs?

Saving on airfares?

des

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:18 pm

BigGee wrote:just seen the Edinburgh team for their visit to Romania. Surely that is a much stronger team than they needed to pick for a game like this, not far off full strength. They really aught to win this very comfortably.

I would have thougth they would have taken the chance to give a few of them a rest and avoid such a long trip.

I think you've just answered my question.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:19 pm

I was about to say he's done a lot of rotation - there are numerous changes from last week.

He's also giving Fringe players gametime - Scholes  Northam, Tofilau, Mata, Fihaki etc.

Also worth remembering our tighthead resources are stretched and we don't have many fit locks either.

And Hardie and Manu haven't played much this season!

So really he's rotated pretty much everywhere he could

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:20 pm

3 players are making their debut too!

Acting Head Coach Duncan Hodge has handed three players their first Edinburgh Rugby start in tomorrow’s Challenge Cup opener against Romanian outfit Timisoara Saracens at Dan Păltinișanu Stadium (kick-off 2pm local, 12 noon BST).
Alex Northam

Newly-signed Olympic Gold medallist Viliame Mata and wing Alex Northam will make their first appearance for the club, while 20-year-old BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy prop Murray McCallum starts after his making his debut as a replacement last weekend.

The trio are among 11 personnel changes to the side which beat Treviso 45-10 in last weekend’s Guinness PRO12 clash at BT Murrayfield

Hodge said: “European Rugby brings a fresh challenge, both as a team and individuals. We’re looking forward to facing Timisoara Saracens for the first time in the club’s history.

“There’s a number of changes from last week’s win over Treviso, yet there is no change in emphasis as we go into Europe looking to build on our positive performance.

“We have good depth and a lot of competition for places in the squad this season, which not only allows us to make a number of changes but presents a chance for players to stake their claim for a spot in the team going forward.

“Although we are yet to play Timisoara, we have had a good look at them and fully expect a tough and physical battle up front.

“This is their first venture into the competition so we expect a real intensity and energy.

“We’re looking forward to soaking it up in what should be an exciting match.”

Rory Scholes starts at full-back, with Northam and Michael Allen named on the wings.

Junior Rasoela is promoted from the bench to take up the inside-centre berth to partner the incoming Sasa Tofilau, who wears the number 13 jersey.

Jason Tovey – man of the match against Treviso – remains at stand-off, while Sam Hidalgo-Clyne makes his second start of the season at scrum-half.

In a refreshed front-row, McCallum and Allan Dell pack-down either side of hooker Stuart McInally – who is named as captain for the European clash – while Fraser McKenzie returns to join Ben Toolis at lock.

Mata starts at blindside flanker, with John Hardie replacing Hamish Watson on the openside with Nasi Manu retained at number eight.

Edinburgh Rugby team to play Timisoara Saracens in the European Rugby Challenge Cup at Dan Păltinișanu Stadium tomorrow (Saturday 15 October, kick-off 2pm local, 12 noon BST)
15. Rory Scholes

14. Alex Northam
13. Sasa Tofilau
12. Junior Rasolea
11. Michael Allen

10. Jason Tovey
9. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

1. Allan Dell
2. Stuart McInally CAPTAIN
3. Murray McCallum
4. Fraser McKenzie
5. Ben Toolis
6. Viliame Mata
7. John Hardie
8. Nasi Manu

Replacements

16. Neil Cochrane
17. Rory Sutherland
18. Jack Cosgrove
19. Lewis Carmichael
20. Viliami Fihaki
21. Nathan Fowles
22. Blair Kinghorn
23. Glenn Bryce

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:21 pm

I suspect the bench will get a decent run out in this one!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:25 pm

OK, so the twitter image cropped the last 2 names. Thought a matchday 21 was a bit odd.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:36 pm

The other thing with Edinburgh is we still don't know our strongest squad yet - particularly in the backs - but he has rotated a lot of players and is giving fringe players a chance.

I think it's a good selection.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 14 Oct 2016, 1:00 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:The other thing with Edinburgh is we still don't know our strongest squad yet what we're doing - particularly in the backs - but and in sheer desperation he has rotated a lot of players and is giving fringe players a chance.

I think it's a good selection.

Fixed that for you. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 14 Oct 2016, 5:41 pm

Good team. This game should certainly be an opportunity to look at some different combinations - I particularly like the back row and the centres.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 14 Oct 2016, 9:44 pm

It's taken a while, but we cannot be arsed to do Edinburgh match threads any more? Very Happy
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 14 Oct 2016, 11:42 pm

Well if the Edinburgh team can't be arsed why should we

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 15 Oct 2016, 10:46 am

Just met WP Nel at rugby tots. Firstly, he's really quite tiny lol. Secondly, I tried to ask him how his injury was coming on but he appeared to have no scooby what I was saying. I'm thinking his grasp of my east coast accent wasn't at expert level
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 15 Oct 2016, 12:57 pm

Sounds like Mata is running rampant for Edinburgh - 45-10 half time lead

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 15 Oct 2016, 1:19 pm

This is turning into a man shaming averaging a point a minute

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Sat 15 Oct 2016, 1:41 pm

Hatricks for McInally and Manu. A brace for new boy Mata. And one from Allen.

The Romanians are putting up a better second half performance.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Sat 15 Oct 2016, 1:43 pm

Shocked Russian side Enisei are in the lead against Worcester, 10-7, in Moscow.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 15 Oct 2016, 4:45 pm

Not a bad weekend for Scottish rugby. Wins for Edinburgh, Glasgow, and LS

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 15 Oct 2016, 7:18 pm

cakeordeath wrote:Not a bad weekend for Scottish rugby. Wins for Edinburgh, Glasgow, and LS
And Sean Maitland scored against Toulon for Sarries. The apocalypse surely now on its way.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Sun 16 Oct 2016, 9:56 am

Here's the Edinburgh game if anyone is interested

https://youtu.be/JnndTQQqHZk

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun 16 Oct 2016, 10:06 am

Thanks Spoons I shall enjoy watching it later.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 16 Oct 2016, 10:54 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Here's the Edinburgh game if anyone is interested

https://youtu.be/JnndTQQqHZk

Mata is some athlete! Very much in the Nakarawa mould. He could be a real explosive player for Edinburgh.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 16 Oct 2016, 8:33 pm

In the light of the appalling news about Axel Foley today, do we think the Glasgow game with Munster will go ahead.

It would be tremendously difficult for both teams to play in the circumstances and it might be better if the to decision was made earlier rather than later to postpone the game. I think everyone would understand.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next