The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Football Discussion

+32
TwisT
LivinginItaly
alfie
LionsV2
guildfordbat
Fernando
Geordie
Lowlandbrit
BamBam
Afro
Samo
dummy_half
lfc91
whocares
Duty281
Beer
wisden
NickisBHAFC
Ent
Born Slippy
owen10ozzy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Steffan
westisbest
Hammersmith harrier
spencerclarke
compelling and rich
Hero
GSC
Dolphin Ziggler
Atila
Crimey
36 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

International Football Discussion - Page 2 Empty International Football Discussion

Post by Crimey Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thierry Henry has been named Belgium's assistant manager. 

Another odd appointment, it makes sense for Henry who didn't want to give up his media duties. Will be interesting to see how he improves Belgium's forwards, if he can rub off any of his playing skill onto them it'd be sure to have an effect. I'm excited to see if he can work well with Origi who is a striker in his mould.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

International Football Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: International Football Discussion

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:57 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Hahaha! I loaded up BBC just as we went 1-0 up....next time i reloaded we had escaped the jaws of defeat!

God just when you think England cannot get any worse! So much for the next exciting generation...! Again I level much of the blame at the doorstep of the FA! No Love sacks between the lot of them and the fact ex players like Le Saux etc sat on a committe and ran with the idea that Southgate was a good replacement for the uninspiring Hodgson tells everyone all they need to know. Absolute dire..and for the level of money in our game we should be completely embarrassed to call football our national sport!

Let this sink in a moment...Southgate is the 4th best paid manager in International Football!!!

I've given up on them until they give me a proper plan and actually show they care - the Southgate appointment was and still is laughable
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

International Football Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: International Football Discussion

Post by Born Slippy Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:26 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:That game should be Joe Hart's last as England's number 1 - both Butland and Pickford are better

You aren't seriously suggesting either them would have done better today are you? Hart has made some errors in Italy but he's been excellent for England since the Euros and nothing he could do about either goal today. I'd have Butland ahead of him if he can stay fit for a while but Pickford isn't quite there yet. At the moment, he's the right selection.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:32 am

Born Slippy wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:That game should be Joe Hart's last as England's number 1 - both Butland and Pickford are better

You aren't seriously suggesting either them would have done better today are you? Hart has made some errors in Italy but he's been excellent for England since the Euros and nothing he could do about either goal today. I'd have Butland ahead of him if he can stay fit for a while but Pickford isn't quite there yet. At the moment, he's the right selection.

Neither free kick is anywhere near the corner of the goal - not huge power in either and Hart is nowhere near them (despite for the 2nd one, starting essentially in the middle of his goal) - Butland would've saved at least one of them.

He's had one good game against Slovakia away and barely done anything for the rest - and was an abomination at the Euros. His time has passed, as Man City have clearly evaluated and realised
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:37 am

Both teams well into their summer holidays. England largely most of the way of Russia, Scotland largely already out. Low intensity end of season borefest
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:45 pm

England win the U20 world cup. That must be something worth celebrating. Everton contributed quite a few of the players - hopefully they will make an impact in the premiership in the next few years.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:58 pm

always thought we do well at younger levels because we develop the big strong quick kids. seen it at work for years, win at all costs mentality. problem being when they get caught up there not as good technically. we was out played for large parts of that game against Venezuela! i'll be surprised if many of them make it to top level

nevertheless its a decent achievement. any reason why the likes of spain and brazil werent there?

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:18 pm

Brazil u-20 didn't qualify, they came fifth in qualification, with only four slots available.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Who'd have thought a team starting Glenn Whelan instead of Wes Hoolahan is struggling to keep hold of the ball and create chances?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Missing wessi.
O Neil loves Whelan sadly, so will always start him.

Captain today.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:49 pm

westisbest wrote:Missing wessi.
O Neil loves Whelan sadly, so will always start him.

Captain today.

Just seems a bit silly to me Westi - I could understand it away from home, but at the Aviva you should be looking to be a bit more adventurous than this imo. Especially as this is such a big opportunity to go top of the group
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:58 pm

It's bizarre. Whelan offers nothing.

Wessi will always set things up, score the odd goal.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Wales 1 up from a penalty that shouldn't have been, but Serbia are well in charge of everything but the important part. Forcing the Welsh to hang on desperately to what would be a fantastic result with how things stand in their group

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Make things right at the top.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:18 pm

Solanke looked useful if a bit raw. Needs a year or two seasoning.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Mitrovic makes Wales pay for settling at 1-0
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Ramsey would be a good signing for a mid table side based on his Wales displays.

Hes not good enough to get that roaming role in a good team.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:48 pm

Reasonable result for Wales, but they're probably going to have to win at least 2 of their last 4 if not 3.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:14 pm

Gonna be tight.

We have Georgia a, Serbia h, Moldova h, Wales a.
Would hope for 6 points against Georgia and Moldova.

Last game in Cardiff could be massive.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:14 pm

Shaky start but a nice goal from pretty much the first attack
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:21 pm

Dembele fluffs a sitter
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Umtiti equalises following up a Heaton save from a Giroud header
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Pogba must do about 5-10 flicks a game that are utterly pointless
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:53 pm

Dier & Ox in central midfield providing nothing

France 2-1 England HT

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:55 pm

Shaky at the defence, midfield providing no cover.

Look decent when they get it forward, Sterling a threat given the room he keeps finding
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:15 pm

2-2 Kane from the spot, Varane off
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:42 pm

England's passing from the back has been very English

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:05 pm

Just standard England really, no clue on the ball or how to manage a game.

Good effort and lots of fouls though.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:24 pm

Who'd have thought a team managed by Gareth Southgate would be awful?

Oh yeah everyone bar the FA
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:48 pm

Does anyone really care?

Whatever happens, we're getting knocked out in the last 16 at best in Russia.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:25 am

I see Pogba receiving high praise. Inevitable, given that his direct central midfield opposition, was a failed winger from Arsenal & a player who plays at CB for Spurs.

Huge worry for England is CM

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:29 am

Just John wrote:I see Pogba receiving high praise. Inevitable, given that his direct central midfield opposition, was a failed winger from Arsenal & a player who plays at CB for Spurs.

Huge worry for England is CM

England's central midfield options are poor but there's no reason to exaggerate. Oxlade-Chamberlain played quite a bit in central midfield for Arsenal this year and by most accounts performed pretty well there and Eric Dier has played pretty consistently in midfield for Tottenham for the past 2 seasons. Of course there have been times he has dropped into defence to cover for injuries or when changing systems, but generally he's been in central midfield.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:22 pm

Mexico out playing Portugal here
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:50 pm

Portugal take a late lead via an own goal but Mexico equalise from a corner in injury time
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:38 pm

Is the England game on ITV tonight?

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:08 pm

Should be, 7pm start i think (the program, not the match).

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:55 pm

Not that it matters who plays vs Malta

Hart, Walker, Bertrand, Cahill, Jones, Henderson, Livermore, Oxlade, Sterling, Alli & Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:20 pm

A game for Chalobah, Cresswell, Stones and Defoe, if you ask me. Get rid of The Ox, Livermore, Bertrand and Cahill. Cresswell delivery would be a good outlet against a team like this, two strikers of different sorts, Kane also can play just behind. Stones better on the ball so can be a deep midfielder basically against a team that won't move forward. Chalobah just as he's a touch classier than Livermore.

Not that it matters, but I would prefer England considered opposition before picking players.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:38 pm

#Southgateout
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Both my caravan mates are English (one from London and one from Coventry) and both said they want England to lose. Strange...but oh well it's a Team Malta caravan laughing

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Rashford MOTM.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:29 pm

Great start, looking nervous now though.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:37 pm

Turned it on on 20 minutes - that goal might force Ireland to start playing a bit - why are you trying to hold onto a 1-0 for 85 mins?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:39 pm

There's literally nobody within 40/50 yards of Shane Long for Ireland
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:57 pm

McLean should have dinked it over the keeper.
Poor though on the night. Fair play to Georgia.

If we can beat Serbia we go top, highly unlikely on that performance.
Would like to see Hoolahan or Hourihane start on Tuesday.
Even McGeady. Looked ok when he came on.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:38 pm

O'Neill went tactically, ummm, weird. 

And what has happened to McGrady over the years?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:18 pm

O'Neil getting a lot of flack from Irish fans.
Sits back to much after going 1-0 up.

Need to get at Serbia from the off on Tuesday.
Drop Whelan to start with.

I've always thought McGeady was a decent player.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:45 pm

France drew 0-0 with Luxembourg. Laugh

Of course, they won't have the same immature fallout in Paris that happens to the English media and some English fans when England have a poor result in qualifying.

Because they know qualifying and tournament football are two separate things.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:45 pm

Credit to the Luxembourg bus. They did well and could even have scored and won this! Despite 75% possession, more than a few opportunities and plenty of "talent" , France forwards got frustrated way too easily, lost the plot and were running like headless chickens most of the time. Hope they learn something from a game like this because 50% of the opposition will play this type of game against them.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:51 pm

Oh and need to mention Kurzawa performance : 17 crosses and none on target ! Laugh censored picard

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Hart, Walker, Bertrand, Cahill, Jones, Dier, Henderson, Oxlade, Alli, Rashford & Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next