The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonzalez vs Cuadras; Hall vs Haskins

Go down

Gonzalez vs Cuadras; Hall vs Haskins Empty Gonzalez vs Cuadras; Hall vs Haskins

Post by hazharrison on Thu 08 Sep 2016, 6:31 pm

Amid all the (pretty dull) Golovkin vs Brook pre-fight ballyhoo this week there are a couple of potential crackers that have largely sailed under the radar.

The best fighter in the world, the great Roman Gonzalez, closes in on Floyd's record - leaping up yet another weight to take on the dangerous puncher Carlos Cuadras.

On the London card, a fired up Stuey Hall aims for revenge over trixy Lee Haskins (real needle here).

Will Gonzalez go down as the best little man in history? The best of this era? Can Hall regain an ABC belt?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Gonzalez vs Cuadras; Hall vs Haskins Empty Re: Gonzalez vs Cuadras; Hall vs Haskins

Post by milkyboy on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 11:47 am

... leaping up the weight of a beefburger in gonzalez case. I appreciate weight differences are to some degree proportional to bodyweight but they're a joke at the lower levels - and 3lbs is nothing, even allowing for that. Whichever, I agree it's a good test for him, and he's a cracking little fighter.

Hall Haskins should be a good tussle - potentially the only competitive fight on the bill.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Gonzalez vs Cuadras; Hall vs Haskins Empty Re: Gonzalez vs Cuadras; Hall vs Haskins

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 11:56 am

milkyboy wrote:... leaping up the weight of a beefburger in gonzalez case.  I appreciate weight differences are to some degree proportional to bodyweight but they're a joke at the lower levels - and 3lbs is nothing, even allowing for that. Whichever, I agree it's a good test for him, and he's a cracking little fighter.

At the higher weights there was a need for junior divisions as some of the gaps were too big but there was and never has been a need for anything other than Bantamweight and Flyweight at the lower levels. Gonzalez as you say is a top level fighter but I can't but think his record is lacking a little bit, he is the best of the best done there but he's never unified or attempted to unify which goes against him.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 12:02 pm

Cesar Chavez would disagree with you milky on weight:

http://www.boxingscene.com/julio-cesar-chavez-sr-canelo-wait-golovkin-gets-old--108403

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 12:05 pm

Just re read your post milky so just ignore my post I just saw the 3lbs is nothing bit

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 12:12 pm

He isn't really the best fighter in the World because unfortunately diddy men don't count...

They never really have...

All the top fighters 122 and above get all the accolades.....Give or take the odd Mexican like Pintor..

It's why this guy got $250,000 for his last fight.....Paltry amount for the greatest fighter in Boxing..

It's a shame and it isn't right but by and large no one is interested.....

Golovkin is number 1 in my book..... and like Hammer says it should be just Fly, Bant, Feath etc until we get higher up...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 12:18 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Just re read your post milky so just ignore my post I just saw the 3lbs is nothing bit

no worries hermy - it can certainly make a difference when cutting weight - if the guy has cut to his absolute limit in the first place. Depends on the individual and how hard it is for them. 3 lb's for a weight class is a waste of everyone's time though in my view... and others it would seem

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 7:33 pm

I disagree - 3 lbs can really count at the lower weights. Fighters tend to rattle through them further up.

Gonzalez is the best fighter in boxing - he's a wonderful little fighting machine. Golovkin at number one? Hardly. Aside from the eyeball test that would put Gonzalez and Rigondeaux above him there's also his record. Danny Garcia has better wins than Golovkin. Are you hoping Floyd will come back to fight him Truss (he won't)? You spend most of your time on here ragging on GGG only to suggest he's a better fighter than Gonzalez, Rigondeaux and Kovalev? Odd, even by your standards.

After the turgid Mayweather era (for all his technical brilliance he was like watching paint dry) it's great to have an action fighter like Gonzalez leading the way. Great ambition taking on Cuadras. If he then takes on Inoue (and there's every chance he will) we'll be in for a truly great fight.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 7:51 pm

That's why he gets 250,000 dollars a fight because he's a breath of fresh air..

Anyway I'm at a Trampoline center in Handforth watching the future Heavyweight champion bouncing away for £5....Loving it bless him..

Wish we had these places when I was a kid..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 8:41 pm

As a proportion of bodyweight, the increments at the lower weights are much smaller than the rest. It's not helped by the fact that the historical weight classes weren't proportionately evenly spread, but the jump from super fly to bantam, followed by the jump from fly to superfly are the two proportionately smallest jumps in boxing.

The lower Weight classes also have the smallest number of fighters fighting in them.

But hey it was a sanctioning body money grab to add extra weight classes in the first place. It's just more justifiable to have them at the higher weight classes, with the bigger proportionate gaps, in my view.

But they are what they are and none of which alters the fact that Gonzales is a cracking little fighter, and his fight tomorrow should be a good one.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 9:46 pm

Anyone think Hall can upset Haskins? I like him to bully Hadkins this time - he's done some high-class rounds since they last fought.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 10:28 pm

Not sure if i've seen hall fight since the caballero fight. Thought that fight was close and the judges were a little harsh on him. Replicate that and he has a shout, but he's a couple of years down the road... think he still has the legs Haz?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 10:37 pm

milkyboy wrote:Not sure if i've seen hall fight since the caballero fight. Thought that fight was close and the judges were a little harsh on him. Replicate that and he has a shout, but he's a couple of years down the road... think he still has the legs Haz?

Think he's in the best nick of his career and perfect sparring with the Yafais and Gavin. Those rounds with Malinga, Butler, Caballero and Guerrero have brought him on (thought he'd had it years ago when I watched him box Wale in Darlo). Always hesitant with him as he'll rarely run away with a fight but 5/2 is good value.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 10:54 pm

Well if that's the case then, he's definitely in with a shout. He's a grinder, so agree he'll never win pretty or easy, but generally gives a good account of himself. I'll be rooting for the darlo boy.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers on Sat 10 Sep 2016, 12:23 am

A 3ld difference kind of sucks when theres.an 81kg-91kg weoght category in amateur boxing. Its even worse for females

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight on Sat 10 Sep 2016, 12:53 am

3lbs seems pretty inconsequential when even in the lighter classes there are fighters rehydrating over 10lbs for fights. Totally needless amount of weight classes.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum