The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2016: A Poor Year For Boxing

+3
BoxingFan88
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
7 posters

Go down

2016: A Poor Year For Boxing Empty 2016: A Poor Year For Boxing

Post by hazharrison Thu 22 Sep 2016, 9:22 pm

It's been a slow year and the remainder of 2016 is looking pretty poor. There are rumours Frampton might squeeze in a rematch with Santa Cruz before the year is out (bafflingly in Vegas or L.A. - which would suit LSC more than Carl) but aside from that (and Kovalev vs Ward obviously), nothing doing.

There have been a distinct lack of big fights this year. Fury and Klitschko haven't fought (and I strongly doubt they ever will). Cotto hasn't fought (and is scheduled to fight Lamont Peterson - which isn't very exciting). Canelo and Golovkin have fought mismatches. AJ still has his "L" plates on and his opposition seems to be getting worse. Porter vs Thurman was good but the wheels seem to have fallen off the PBC model amid rumours Haymon's investors have swallowed some massive losses. And Brook vs Spence looks to be out of the window thanks to Fast Eddie.

There seems to be a distinct lack of stars around at the moment - a lack of presence among the top fighters.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

2016: A Poor Year For Boxing Empty Re: 2016: A Poor Year For Boxing

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 22 Sep 2016, 9:47 pm

If you haven't got any characters...You need fights.....or talent and there is little of it around..

In four days time it will be 30 years since these fights.......All on the same weekend..

Curry v Honeyghan
Camacho v Boza Edwards
Bramble v Rosario...........

Look at the crap you get now.........

Crolla v Linares...Hardly gets the juices flowing and that is currently a big fight....

It's sad to see the decline.....But good to have been around when Boxing was at its peak..

Crolla is the ring number 1 at 135...........Imagine what Camacho does to him..........Same with Danny Garcia imagine what Meldrick Taylor or Chavez would have done to him...

Just garbage..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 23 Sep 2016, 7:37 am

Yet we have talents like lomachenko Usyk ggg

Boxing is fine

Just the dominance has moved somewhere else

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:13 am

Don't think PBC will be making too many more fights this year either and to think Bernard Hopkins was calling Haymon a genius a couple years back. Genius conman maybe

The one positive though if PBC folds and all Haymon's fighters go running back to GBP, Oscar will be flush again so surely less reluctant to risk his cash cow Canelo?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:31 am

All the big ppv are now ufc cards. Boxing needs another star.

Trash talk sells.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:35 am

AdamT wrote:All the big ppv are now ufc cards. Boxing needs another star.

Trash talk sells.

When Boxing gets a big star everyone wants to see them beat....

Then they miss them....

Tyson was the last really huge star of Boxing....Everybody on the planet had heard of him...

A majority wanted to see his butt kicked and when it was...

"Boxing needs a Tyson"..........

Be careful of what you wish for..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:29 am

Agree with this. I've been saying for a long time that it's so frustrating to be a boxing fan at the moment.

Just seem to be forever hanging about waiting for people to fight. And when certain fights get announced after waiting ages they are anti climax. Joshua is a prime example at the moment, bum after bum after bum. Being told he' still progressing when he is supposedly a world champion.

Tyson fury wins the legit heavyweight world championship and goes into obscurity for 12 months. Billy Joe Saunders currently sat on his hands doing sweet FA.

Boxing could easily become great if we streamlined the ridiculous number of belts / organisations. It's an absolute joke.

How I wish there was just one champion in each division. Can only dream.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:32 am

Would have to disagree with Truss re Crolla vs Linares. I can't see it being anything other than entertaining and for me its a fight that could genuinely go either way.

Can't do much more than match the best against the best. Crolla is no technical genius but his last three fights have been good watches so I look forward to Saturday. I almost bought tickets the other day but Im off to Amsterdam next Friday so the funds are tight.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:44 am

EX7EY wrote:Would have to disagree with Truss re Crolla vs Linares. I can't see it being anything other than entertaining and for me its a fight that could genuinely go either way.

Can't do much more than match the best against the best. Crolla is no technical genius but his last three fights have been good watches so I look forward to Saturday. I almost bought tickets the other day but Im off to Amsterdam next Friday so the funds are tight.

Weed or whoremongering?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:58 am

Lomachenko getting the recognition he deserves would make it a great year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 12:20 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:
EX7EY wrote:Would have to disagree with Truss re Crolla vs Linares. I can't see it being anything other than entertaining and for me its a fight that could genuinely go either way.

Weed or whoremongering?
Why can't it be both?

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 23 Sep 2016, 12:26 pm

I gave up weed but I could use a short break right now

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Fri 23 Sep 2016, 1:19 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:

Weed or whoremongering?

Lot's of weed, lot's of beer, just window shopping the lady of the nights as the Mrs would have my balls in a vice if she found out id been up to no good Very Happy

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 23 Sep 2016, 4:40 pm

Well, if this year was poor, then we are pretty close to what Boyz II Men call the End of the Road.
Fury-Klitschko
Usyk-Glowacki
Kovalev-ward
Jack-DeGale
Jacobs-GGG

If you accept that canelo's assertion that he isn't a middleweight, then from 160lbs every division could arguably have a 1v2 fight in the next three months/last week
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 23 Sep 2016, 6:11 pm

kingraf wrote:Well, if this year was poor, then we are pretty close to what Boyz II Men call the End of the Road.
Fury-Klitschko
Usyk-Glowacki
Kovalev-ward
Jack-DeGale
Jacobs-GGG

If you accept that canelo's assertion that he isn't a middleweight, then from 160lbs every division could arguably have a 1v2 fight in the next three months/last week

Can't see Fury vs Klitschko happening. Ditto DeGale vs Jack (not before the end of the year). And top two at 175 are Stevenson and Kovalev but get your point - still all feels very flat, though, doesn't it?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down