The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Refs and commentators

+5
SecretFly
marty2086
Rugby Fan
propdavid_london
No 7&1/2
9 posters

Go down

Refs and commentators Empty Refs and commentators

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:36 pm

Thought it was interesting following the ongoing bickering on the club forums over bias/rubbish refereeing to watch the SA Aus game this week. There seemed to be an early decision by 2 of the commentators that Wayne Barnes was a poor ref and making silly and constant mistakes (possibly a view held by a few here). There followed several decisions they moaned about, while seemingly not knowing the laws, and a few clear cut decisions that they moaned at, and were then proved wrong (ball bouncing in field when tehy called it out, by Clancy I think). To be fair they then called it that they made a mistake before returning to criticising the general performance. When considering that we tend as a group of fans (England, Ireland whoever) to all (majority) dislike the same refs it got me thinking on how much of it was being affected by commentary bias rather than what we see with our own eyes.

If Stephen Jones tells me that Cooper-Wooley is the best tight head in the northern hemisphere enough, will I start to think it to?!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Refs and commentators Empty Re: Refs and commentators

Post by propdavid_london Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:51 pm

As a whole I used to think that SA referees on international games weren't that great (when watching England).
Kaplan and Watson were the 2 that really stick in the mind.
And Walsh for just being a wally - although not a Saffa.

Nigel Owens is the best international ref in my opinion.

Tony Spreaders always looked to be pretty solid

Paddy O'Brein was the best of the games I saw in my youth.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:53 am

Replays have helped undermine commentators and colour men. We can now see how they can be as fallible as the rest of us when they try and call things in realtime. On the other hand, replays help analysts highlight strategies and plays that I certainly wouldn't have noticed on my own.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:01 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Thought it was interesting following the ongoing bickering on the club forums over bias/rubbish refereeing to watch the SA Aus game this week. There seemed to be an early decision by 2 of the commentators that Wayne Barnes was a poor ref and making silly and constant mistakes (possibly a view held by a few here). There followed several decisions they moaned about, while seemingly not knowing the laws, and a few clear cut decisions that they moaned at, and were then proved wrong (ball bouncing in field when tehy called it out, by Clancy I think). To be fair they then called it that they made a mistake before returning to criticising the general performance. When considering that we tend as a group of fans (England, Ireland whoever) to all (majority) dislike the same refs it got me thinking on how much of it was being affected by commentary bias rather than what we see with our own eyes.

If Stephen Jones tells me that Cooper-Wooley is the best tight head in the northern hemisphere enough, will I start to think it to?!

With Barnes I think he guesses at scrum and breakdown and is so inconsistent with his calls.

I think his sending off of Dylan Hartley a few years back was the same, Hartley shouts f furious ing cheat, seemingly in no particular direction and Barnes decides it was in his direction for no reason other than he decided so

Most commentators though seem to be fans and talk about how highly rated he is

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:23 am

I think when there is so much disparity in, say the citing commission and sanctions against those that transgress that there is little hope for referee consistency.
And that is when there is a panel with the benefit of post game analysis - to expect referees to get it right in real time, all the time is impossible.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:27 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Thought it was interesting following the ongoing bickering on the club forums over bias/rubbish refereeing to watch the SA Aus game this week. There seemed to be an early decision by 2 of the commentators that Wayne Barnes was a poor ref and making silly and constant mistakes (possibly a view held by a few here). There followed several decisions they moaned about, while seemingly not knowing the laws, and a few clear cut decisions that they moaned at, and were then proved wrong (ball bouncing in field when tehy called it out, by Clancy I think). To be fair they then called it that they made a mistake before returning to criticising the general performance. When considering that we tend as a group of fans (England, Ireland whoever) to all (majority) dislike the same refs it got me thinking on how much of it was being affected by commentary bias rather than what we see with our own eyes.

It is, yes, to a degree theatre.  Sport is theatre and even though we often deny it, even to ourselves, a large part of the fun is the drama and the narratives.  And one of the narratives is the refs and some of the biggest stars of the games have been and still are refs.  Some fans talk about Nigel and Irish fans have some fun about Barnes.  Yes, to a degree it's a game and keeps the show interesting.  But then you do also check records for degrees of how serious the underlying fun might be.

I personally don't give a damn how many times we get Wayne in future.  If and when we do, it'll be more fun listening to all the stuff over again from all the usual sources.  Sport is entertainment.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:04 am

New Zealand viewers had the South African (English) commentary with Joel Stransky, who I think is excellant. I didnt hear one word of criticism of Barnes by the commentary team throughout the entire game.

It seems to me that from the above description by 7.5, he was listening to Phil Kearns.

Who were the commentators 7.5?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:37 am

Pass, sorry missed kick off and didn't catch them. Sky Sports but obviously not the normal guys.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:58 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Pass, sorry missed kick off and didn't catch them. Sky Sports but obviously not the normal guys.

Were they South Africans or Australians?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:58 am

2 Aussies and a South African. To be fair just picked them as it was this weekend, could have picked a few more.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:28 am

Firstly turn off the volume and use your own eyes,then you won`t be influenced
I always ignore it.The relative quirks of Referees should be common knowledge
for any Coach.
Barnes,Poite,Peyper[in particular] never let the game flow especially in the Scrum area."The Front Row Mafia"will always test the Ref out to see what
he will let them get away with.
IF the REF thinks your at it you could get whistled out of the game. There
are so many technical areas in Scrums/Lineouts/Breakdown/Maul now.
That penalty shoot outs are so often the case,it doesn't help when IRB
constantly tinkers with laws.OR gives Refs secret instructions to be strict
on as examples.Jumping for the ball,dangerous tackles etc .change match
by match.
Incidentally whatever Stephen Jones tells you think the opposite he`s
nearly as bad as Chris Rattue which is saying something.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:00 pm

No, I like commentary and the crowd noise for a start, but I'm not a sheep in this regard anyway. You're one of those on this site which has a disregard to Barnes anyway emack due to him reffing NZ well! I can't remember the last time I saw a penalty shoot out in rugby.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:27 pm

I find the commentators often talk over the refmike - so they miss the ref explain the decision

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:13 pm

You have your ideas on Wayne Barnes interesting stats NZ have a 48%win
record with him officiating.Australia before the last game 14 straight wins
with him in charge.
You seem to think he`s the only Ref that penalizes NZ, stats prove otherwise
is the most penalised/yellow cards of tier one teams.
Referees are human they rely on there own decisions with some help.
The laws are black and white,BUT how often are they policed Scrums shouldn't
move till ball`s fed in.The Lineout gap maintained till ball leaves throwers hand
not to mention.Some of the best acting outside of RADA.Penalty shoot out
couple seasons ago watched Wales v Scotland.Wales won 9-7 not to mention
a number of misses.Everytime either side tried to play football the whistle went
afterwards it was said they had set a world record for penalties.

Last edited by emack2 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:18 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Pass, sorry missed kick off and didn't catch them. Sky Sports but obviously not the normal guys.

Were they South Africans or Australians?

They were the usual SA commentators, they're pretty good tbh, a little biased but generally easy to listen to.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:19 pm

TJ wrote:I find the commentators often talk over the refmike - so they miss the ref explain the decision

That is Stu Barnes speciality, repeating himself as the ref speaks, getting confused and then angry

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:24 pm

emack2 wrote:You have your ideas on Wayne Barnes interesting stats NZ have a 48%win
record with him officiating.Australia before the last game 14 straight wins
with him in charge.
You seem to think he`s the only Ref that penalizes NZ, stats prove otherwise
is the most penalised/yellow cards of tier one teams.
Referees are human they rely on there own decisions with some help.
The laws are black and white,BUT how often are they policed Scrums shouldn't
move till ball`s fed in.The Lineout gap maintained till ball leaves throwers hand
not to mention.Some of the best acting outside of RADA.Penalty shoot out
couple seasons ago watched Wales v Scotland.Wales won 9-7 not to mention
a number of misses.Everytime either side tried to play football the whistle went
afterwards it was said they had set a world record for penalties.

Barnes for me is the best in the world now and rarely has a poor game. Again you talk of pen shoot outs? I don't think I remember the last time game went to one?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down