The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nicola Adams

Go down

Nicola Adams Empty Nicola Adams

Post by Guest on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 4:52 pm

Hello

Very Happy

emancipator at your service.

Warning: sensitive politically correct types read no further!!

I've got a bug bear, a bee in my bonnet, an axe to grind - and she's called Nicola Adams.

WTF are we constantly subjected to the mindless, idiotic, vacant, thicker than a plank of wood, ramblings of this 'personality'. Her fights are boring enough but all the additional coverage is just too much. Nauseating.

I could have sworn I saw her maniacal grin every time I turned on a TV or a mobile device and, an even worse affliction if possible, heard her wittering away endlessly each time I tuned in the radio EVERY GODDAM DAY OF THE OLYMPIC GAMES.

I'm sure, no, I know, she got more coverage than Bolt, Farah and any other worthy athlete during the OGs - for what? beating up some short fat Italian women who she'd already beaten up about four times that year!!

What the hell is wrong with the world?

Anyway, with the Olympics over I'd hoped we'd seen the last of her for at least another four years, but alas NO - she seems to be in the bloody news, on websites, constantly giving interviews (about what? what can she possibly say that is of any interest?), nattering on and on and on about the same bloody thing - just shut that big f%^$£^ gob up - sometimes less is more.

What is going on? Why are we being subjected to the ramblings of this mindless idiot? Is this what we've been reduced to as a society? Is it now shameful to be intelligent, erudite, insightful? Is there some obligatory BBC idiot quota that gets increased year upon year and the collective ramblings of which we must all be subjected to.

Who gives a rats arse if she decides to go for a 'historic' third OG medal, or decides to turn pro. Or that she grew up somewhere near Manchester or that she had loads of energy as a kid.. just go away.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Nicola Adams Empty Re: Nicola Adams

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 6:48 pm

Tyson Fury would feel less sorry for himself reading this..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 8:19 pm

I hadn't seen a single thing about her since the Olympics until the piece on the BBC today.

I think you might have a problem.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 9:06 pm

I like her.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 9:07 pm

I love her.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 8:02 am

Who is Nicola Adams? Anything to Victoria Beckham??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 11:18 am

What exactly do you like or love about her?

The fact that she partakes in a minority sport (women's boxing) that no one, not even other women apart from maybe a few hundred (exaggeration), give a monkeys about?

Is it because she spends her entire interviews grinning like an imbecile?

Is it because she's so thick that she makes you feel smart?

Is it because she's lesbian and therefore immediately an LGBTXWY/unisex/non-binaryintersex/xxy/xxx role model?

Seriously people, get a Frak grip - there are lots of people in the world worth interviewing, who have interesting lives, do worthwhile things. I'm not suggesting we should interview them all but we should not be providing a stage for the lowest common denominator - a person who if you'd heard her speak for five minutes you'd be half way towards a slow torturous death.

The point is that life, the world, society has become a race to the bottom.

I'm a hand surgeon - I have a fat patient who weighs 186kg - that's right - the size of a an adult male African lion. 42 years old. He's managed to put on 40kg of weight in 3 years, unashamedly admits to eating crap and lots of it. He wants me to operate - I have asked to lose a mere 10 percent of his body weight over the next 12 months and i'll consider. The fat I am a twonk of the highest order stormed out and made a complaint that's going to end up wasting months of my time, time I could be spending looking after the truly deserving patients.

Frak sick of this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 11:25 am

You have issues.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 11:34 am

Emancipator - I recommend meditation.  With regard the obese patient - if it were private care surely you would just do it for the cash.  If it is NHS then it would be just following the guidelines - there has to be a medical reason why reducing weight would improve the outcome for the surgery.  

ps I know someone who is having an operation for carpal tunnel syndrome - it affects both hands.
pps: I should imagine boxers would require your services more often than others. Although one could argue they should seek private care as it is self-inflicted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 11:51 am

Sick of what? A girl from reasonably humble beginnings finding something she enjoys, dedicating herself to it and reaching the pinnicle at it, along the way providing a role model to others and probably securing her financial future. Gets my goat as well.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 2:02 pm

Well done to Nicola Adams, fantastic boxer, fantastic person and seems a great role model for the kids (My daughter and a few of the other girls at the gym look up to her).

Bit strange this one Mancey, if it was some dippy sod off BB or something like that I could kind of understand it but hey ho, each to their own

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 2:24 pm

I guess that the powers that be have decided that she is media-friendly. I recall seeing Audley every where for a couple of years after his Olympics. Friendly, smiling boxers are catnip to tv moguls for some reason- perhaps there is the implication ,"oh look ,she punches people and yet she is nice-seeming!". I have lost count of how many times of seeing Evander Holyfield interviewed and the presenter declared themselves baffled that he could hit people for a living ,etcetc.
Personally, I think she is easier to put up with than that cheesey grinning boring fart ravine Jessica Ennis, who in the absence of us having Queen Mother is positively sainted. The fact that she advertises banks and fast food chains doesn't make her a standard money-grabbing celebrity at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 4:04 pm

My missus met Nicola Adams about 6 years ago when she came into her place of business in Leeds.

She said she was rude, aggressive and an all round unpleasant individual - nothing whatsoever like her public image.

No doubt some media savvy PR consultant has drummed it into her thick skull, that when on TV, no matter what the subject matter and above anything else "IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT TO DO JUST KEEP GRINNING UNTIL IT HURTS, AS WIDE AS YOU CAN, KEEP FLASHING THEM BIG WHITE TEETH LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT"

I have nothing against her personally but it is plainly obvious the she is putting on a front when in front of a camera.

She never says anything that could be considered controversial and just grins like a idiot, no matter what the subject matter she is being questioned on.

As for her being a role model, i would suggest that role models should be individuals who not only excel in their chosen field but who also challenge society's perceptions and push the boundaries of what is considered achievable.

Anyone who simply adopts the persona of a perpetually cheerful buffoon and babbles incoherently about nothing in particular is far from a role model in my eyes

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 4:18 pm

I can't think of any role models..

If that is the definition...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 4:32 pm

Someone that takes their chosen profession seriously, is seen as one of the top of their chosen sport and seems to be hard working and dedicated to it, definitely a role model to those wanted to emulate the success's

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 6:03 pm

Tyson Fury must be a role model for someone.  Surely.

I think the type of people that enter into boxing nowadays are sort of self selecting ... but better in the  ring and disciplined than out on the streets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 7:50 pm

I'm not as clued up on amateur boxing as most but I can't imagine Nicola Adams being the most recognisable face 6 years ago.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 10 Oct 2016, 8:17 am

Seems my thoughtful post got deleted at the weekend so I'll add it again but remove the last sentence.

Why are we being subjected to the ramblings of this mindless idiot?
Oh, how I wish you'd literally choke on the irony!

Back to top Go down

Post by huw on Mon 10 Oct 2016, 9:18 am

She is an Olympic double gold medal winning athlete.

I kind of understand the point about her being wheeled out to comment on things unrelated to the Olympics and boxing but if those are the topics feel she is as qualified to comment on that as anyone.

Also like the fact an amateur athlete has a chance to maximise her earnings as the amateur game doesn't offer much opportunity to get rich from something you have dedicated your life to.

Would far rather see her on television than the Kardasians / Xfactors / TOWIE / Made in Chelsea lot.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 on Mon 10 Oct 2016, 12:12 pm

To be fair, what has double Olympic gold medal winning Nicola Adams ever done to justify being a positive role model to anyone. Nicola Adams 1054138444 A better world for her in it. Not certain I can say the same about the originator of this article.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 10 Oct 2016, 12:15 pm

Agreed, how DARE Nicola Adams use her recently found and much deserved status to inspire a generation of children (and adults) to strive to be better than their circumstances would ordinarily dictate. She should be ashamed of trying to create a generation of children whose first thoughts are something other than junk food and games consoles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 10:39 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/37613078

Just for emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 2:13 pm

It'll only get worse. With the new Chief of Ofcom and Lenny Henry blathering about "diversity" quotas you can expect more people like Nicola Adams to grace your TV screens with their gibberish and fakery. Nicola Adams ticks two boxes so she'll likely to get a role in punditry when she hangs up the gloves.

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 2:32 pm

Much prefer to have Nicola Adams giving talks to kids than watching all these other Olympic frigtards cashing in on the success by appearing on sh!t like Strictly...at least she's using her "celebrity" status for something positive rather than just lining her pockets.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 2:59 pm

You are a quasi-retarted delinquent muppet of the absolute highest order.

Wish your repugnant trolling arris would get banned again.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 3:14 pm

Thinly veiled racism, misogyny and homophobia all on one thread.

But then again I suppose the pr1ck that wrote the OP wanted the reaction he's got so I guess we all lose.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 3:37 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:You are a quasi-retarted delinquent muppet of the absolute highest order.

Wish your repugnant trolling arris would get banned again.

This is a lovely read.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by huw on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 7:46 pm

Mochyn du wrote:It'll only get worse.  With the new Chief of Ofcom and Lenny Henry blathering about "diversity" quotas you can expect more people like Nicola Adams to grace your TV screens with their gibberish and fakery.  Nicola Adams ticks two boxes so she'll likely to get a role in punditry when she hangs up the gloves.

I think she'd be a great pundit, especially if focussed on Olympic boxing. She seems like she is already uniquely qualified having won more Olympic gold medals than any other active boxer from the UK. The rest of your post seems like a racist rant but I'm sure I have just misunderstood what you have said so if you could clarify that it could open some further debate.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 7:57 pm

I empathasise with the sentiment of the original post, although the blame really should be going to the media behind the manufacturing. Rarely do I find sports people these days have anything to say other than pc friendly, generic, media pandering crap. Anything outside of that gets too many people terribly offended.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 7:58 pm

superflyweight wrote:Thinly veiled racism, misogyny and homophobia all on one thread.  

But then again I suppose the pr1ck that wrote the OP wanted the reaction he's got so I guess we all lose.  

All wrapped in a blanket of intellectual snobbery. Very much 606 at its very best.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 5:23 pm

not got a problem with the post as such,apart from the used of the term "politically correct" as pejorative.It's so 1990s

And I hate to be *that guy* who quotes Stewart Lee material, but the whole thing about political correctness being a clumsy negotiation towards a more inclusive language is bang on. It’s not the “thought police” if you want to stop words that reinforce negative stereotypes being so common.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 6:15 pm

andygf wrote:... And I hate to be *that guy* who quotes Stewart Lee material, but the whole thing about political correctness being a clumsy negotiation towards a more inclusive language is bang on. It’s not the “thought police” if you want to stop words that reinforce negative stereotypes being so common.
At a university department I taught in, we were informed not to refer to students as he/she or him/her as that was deemed to be prey to gender bias.  Eventually we had to refer to students using neuter terms and student ID numbers.  It led to errors such as when marks were assigned to the wrong student ID numbers in end of year exam boards and failure to spot such errors because the assessor dealing with it was unable to place a face / name to the ID number.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 7:42 pm

bhb001 wrote:To be fair, what has double Olympic gold medal winning Nicola Adams ever done to justify being a positive role model to anyone. Nicola Adams 1054138444 A better world for her in it. Not certain I can say the same about the originator of this article.

My original post, admittedly a little OTT and angry (because of a complaint by someone I'd been trying to help for months), was to make the following points:

1) I'm all for celebrating success and positive role models. But this should be in accordance with their achievements and the positive impact of that which they do. She is a female boxer. A very minority sport that hardly anyone is interested in. Whilst, in general, becoming a double Olympic gold medal medallist is a great achievement, in her case it was still accomplished in a, relatively speaking, weak competitive field, and therefore the amount of coverage she received during the OGs and beyond, and continues to receive, is disproportionate to her achievements when compared to other athletes.

2) Some of the above would be negated and forgiven if she were an interesting personality who added insight to, for example, boxing commentary or any other field in which she has knowledge, but sadly she is not. In fact she's dull, babbles endlessly and has nothing of interest to say. As BA above has mentioned, all she does is grin like an idiot endlessly and repeat the same inane statements. So why is she deserving of so much coverage?

3) Which brings me to my third point. If that constitutes a positive role model then there must be a figurative famine going on. I appreciate that working hard and trying to do your best is commendable. But isn't that what we all do? I know I certainly go to work everyday and try to do my best. And whilst I love boxing as a sport, and go ahead and call me a misogynist, sexist or whatever else, I would rather my daughter had aspirations of doing things other than punching someone else in the face for a living. I can think of thousands positive role models in all walks of life.

4) To the person (Huw?) who said he'd rather see her on telly than the Kardashians, X-factor and so on, I would say - I'd rather not see any of them on telly but it doesn't (and shouldn't) have to be a choice between dumb and dumber. We pay a BBC license fee, we deserve better.

5) The main thrust of all of this was to make the wider point about society and the general decline in standards in so many aspects. I'm not trying to be snobbish - I grew up on a council estate - my roots are firmly working class, but there is clearly a race to the bottom going on. A celebration of mediocrity. Just smile and get yourself on TV and you're a winner in life. We need people in serious professions, in trades, people that make our country run and work (plumbers, teachers, secretaries etc) - those are real life role models and I'm sure they all work every bit as hard as Nicola Adams. The world is a better place for them, not for some blabbering idiot who punches people in the face for a living. I'm not begrudging her 15 minutes of fame but enough is enough. Or do we want to raise a generation of mindless, thoughtless, undiscerning individuals?

As to the above quote - I'm a Trauma and Orthopaedic surgeon sub-specialising in hand surgery. Not blowing my own trumpet - but every operation I do changes a life - some of them save lives - but you'll never know my name and I'm quite happy to keep it that way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 8:05 pm

Depends how you choose to look at it I guess. Plenty people struggle with study and academic pursuits. Adams is surely a role model to such folk. She shows you don't have to be bright or good at school, but by working hard and dedicating yourself to something you can make a good living and end up having opportunities beyond your wildest dreams.

I actually agree with much of what I believe is your point, but think Adams is a spectacularly poor choice of vehicle for making that point.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 8:35 pm

I don't particularly like being told who I should be listening to or what is a proper role model for me..

I find it very patronising...

I don't know much about this girl but the next time she is on TV or writes an article...I'm definitely going to watch or read it..

I got a feeling she is going to be a lot more interesting than some bitter snob who oozes negativity..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 9:53 pm

Exactly Truss - and that's precisely what the media is doing for us. Creating 'role models' and telling us who they are. Well quite frankly I've had enough of these Poopie role models.

Rowley, I don't disagree with that - not everyone is an academic - and I'm not suggesting that's the only way to succeed. But realistically how many young girls are going to take up boxing and make a success of it? Which is why I don't begrudge her her 15 mins of fame. But let's keep it proportional; why the absurd need to parade her as some kind of heroine, history maker, let's-all-adore-this-superstar BS. The 'beyond your wildest dreams' part is problematic. Creating unrealistic expectations is not healthy. Breeds discontent, depression, anxiety, low self esteem and on and on.

Anyway, I've said my piece. I remember my old Nan who eventually died of breast cancer. She didn't tell anyone she had this lump until it was too late because she didn't want to make a fuss and yet today we have people who'll make a formal complaint because you told them something they didn't want to hear even after you'd spent months bending over backwards trying to help them.

There's something very rotten going on. As conscientious and discerning individuals we should be prepared to speak to out against the wrongs in society - now you'll just get fired or have to go through reams of tedious humiliating procedures because some disgruntled punter put in a complaint.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 10:22 pm

Just live and let live...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 8:11 am

As stated before, she is a role model to many of the female boxers that are around. Whilst there aren't as many as the males it's an emerging sport and everyone deserves someone to look up too.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 9:29 am

huw wrote:
Mochyn du wrote:It'll only get worse.  With the new Chief of Ofcom and Lenny Henry blathering about "diversity" quotas you can expect more people like Nicola Adams to grace your TV screens with their gibberish and fakery.  Nicola Adams ticks two boxes so she'll likely to get a role in punditry when she hangs up the gloves.

I think she'd be a great pundit, especially if focussed on Olympic boxing. She seems like she is already uniquely qualified having won more Olympic gold medals than any other active boxer from the UK. The rest of your post seems like a racist rant but I'm sure I have just misunderstood what you have said so if you could clarify that it could open some further debate.

I hate diversity quotas and don't think it's racist to say such but wish people could be on TV for their worth irrespective of their complexion or what they carry in their underwear. I feel Nicola Adams may benefit from such a system in the future when she hangs up her gloves and could be on TV a lot more that's what I'm saying.

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by huw on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 9:39 am

Mochyn du wrote:
huw wrote:

I hate diversity quotas and don't think it's racist to say such but wish people could be on TV for their worth irrespective of their complexion or what they carry in their underwear.  I feel Nicola Adams may benefit from such a system in the future when she hangs up her gloves and could be on TV a lot more that's what I'm saying.  

I understand that point. People should be in the positions they are in due to their ability to do the job and for no other reason. Maybe though the people that are after these quotas are using a controversial topic just to highlight an inherent racism / sexism in the media. The quotas are a smokescreen to get people talking about this and possibly put pressure on those that have power to make changes but don't as they have their biases.

I wouldn't be able to do their jobs, if I was responsible for selecting the people that were on television there would just be a lot of very easy attractive women doing everything. Power leads to corruption and as a very shallow man I would be corrupted almost from the minute I started.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 4:39 pm

Maybe you're right and my TV station would likely be top heavy with young attractive women too! I am slightly ashamed to say it but I find Clare Balding for example very hard on the eye and generally have to switch over if she's on. I know it sounds shallow but since watching her I've come to realise that having photogenic and attractive people on TV does generally improve the viewer experience. At least in my case.

Emancipators original post just triggered my ire about the new Ofcom regulator and her quotas. We'll be seeing a lot more of the likes of Nicola Adams, Clare Balding and older women presenters. Yippee more Anne Robinson!!

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 5:01 pm

emancipator wrote:

Anyway, I've said my piece. I remember my old Nan who eventually died of breast cancer. She didn't tell anyone she had this lump until it was too late because she didn't want to make a fuss and yet today we have people who'll make a formal complaint because you told them something they didn't want to hear even after you'd spent months bending over backwards trying to help them.

There's something very rotten going on. As conscientious and discerning individuals we should be prepared to speak to out against the wrongs in society - now you'll just get fired or have to go through reams of tedious humiliating procedures because some disgruntled punter put in a complaint.

And you're starting the quest to solve the ills of our society by writing a very negative article about Nicola Adams being on the TV after winning an Olympic gold?

Sounds like you're well on the way to fixing everything.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 5:10 pm

Suppose this helmet will complain about the newly retired Jessica Ennis-Hill using her Olympic medals to encourage young kids to get of their ar$es and make something of themselves as well?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 3:11 pm

emancipator wrote:
bhb001 wrote:To be fair, what has double Olympic gold medal winning Nicola Adams ever done to justify being a positive role model to anyone. Nicola Adams 1054138444 A better world for her in it. Not certain I can say the same about the originator of this article.

As to the above quote - I'm a Trauma and Orthopaedic surgeon sub-specialising in hand surgery. Not blowing my own trumpet - but every operation I do changes a life - some of them save lives - but you'll never know my name and I'm quite happy to keep it that way.

A scary thought if true, given you're an utter muppet in comparison to the genius I've recently been seeing who has an extremely similar job description.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum