The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anthony Foley

+43
Standulstermen
Geen sport voor watjes
BigGee
marty2086
Pot Hale
Sin é
Cyril
Rory_Gallagher
Portnoy's Complaint
The Great Aukster
thebandwagonsociety
westisbest
Irish Londoner
No 7&1/2
ScarletSpiderman
aucklandlaurie
bsando
RiscaGame
TheMildlyFranticLlama
nathan
stub
toml
funnyExiledScot
SecretFly
whocares
George Carlin
doctor_grey
Pete330v2
No9
profitius
maestegmafia
BamBam
RDW
wolfball
Heaf
Welly
mikey_dragon
Rugby Fan
yappysnap
neilthom7
asoreleftshoulder
eirebilly
Notch
47 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Anthony Foley - Page 2 Empty Anthony Foley

Post by Notch Sun 16 Oct 2016, 1:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

A huge shock for Irish Rugby as some terrible news has broken;

It is with deep regret that the Irish Rugby Football Union and Munster Rugby must advise of the passing overnight of Munster Rugby head coach Anthony Foley, at the team hotel in Paris.

Munster Rugby management are liaising directly with Anthony's family and will provide them with any assistance and support required.
Thr IRFU and Munster Rugby pass on our deepest sympathies to all of Anthony's family and friends and ask for privacy for the family at this sad time.

As a mark of respect to Anthony and his family and to support players, management and staff, Muster Rugby have requested that today's match against Racing 92 be rescheduled.

Munster Rugby thank Racing 92, EPCR, broadcasters and partners, and the many fans who travelled to Paris for their understanding and support at this time.

I have started this thread so that the 606v2 rugby community can leave their most sincere condolences to Anthony Foleys family, friends, former team mates as well as the entire Munster Rugby playing and coaching squad, the Munster rugby community and the Irish Rugby community more generally.

If you so wish, you may leave your condolences and thoughts below.

Anthony Foley - Page 2 Foley_cup_rdax_365x365_80

Last edited by Notch on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Anthony Foley - Page 2 Empty Re: Anthony Foley

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Oct 2016, 7:39 am

George Carlin wrote:Very sorry to ask this and hopefully it's not an insensitive question as much as a completely practical one.  

I have rellies who were planning to head over to Thomond for the next Champions Cup match on the 22nd and they have asked me if it is still going ahead. Does anyone close to the club have any sense whatsoever as to whether it will happen or not? I literally couldn't guess. Much appreciated.

Understandable - it will probably be tomorrow when they are hoping for Axel's body to be released from French authorities and brought home before they can say anything.

I'm guessing now, but I just can't see that Munster team being able to play this weekend as the earliest the funeral could be would probably be Friday, but your relatives should know more tomorrow.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 18 Oct 2016, 10:24 am

It's reported that Erasmus and O'Mahony will make a public statement tomorrow so it'll be known then I reckon.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 18 Oct 2016, 10:40 am

Sin é wrote:Some really moving tributes to him over the last few days which brought back a lot of great memories of a great Munster team. Well done to Sky as well, particularly Tyrone Howe, for their very sensitive coverage of Axel's passing.

Really felt for Tyrone Howe, he was clearly emotional and basically having to fill airtime while processing the information can't have been easy

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 18 Oct 2016, 12:55 pm

Ulster Rugby are to install a memorial to Anthony Foley at Ravenhill.

"Anthony Foley was a magnificent rugby player and a magnificent human being," said Ulster CEO Shane Logan.

"We extend our condolences to his family and all in Munster rugby.

"Munster were superb when Nevin Spence died - they did us the great tribute of placing a permanent memorial to Nevin in their away changing room.

"We would like to reciprocate for Munster."

Glad to see this gesture from Ulster- as Logan says it is reciprocating the care and support Munster showed 4 years ago.

Last edited by Notch on Tue 18 Oct 2016, 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Oct 2016, 12:56 pm

That's a great gesture clap

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 18 Oct 2016, 1:08 pm

I'm glad to see it RDW. If you go onto any Irish Rugby thread you'll see us fighting and bickering, and when the provinces play the needle and physicality is off the charts. But thats because when brothers fight, its always no holds barred. Irish Rugby is like a family in that sense. And just as Munster supported Ulster in that difficult time four years ago, Ulster will support Munster.

Sin é wrote:If I'm heartbroken at this news, I can't you imagine what it must be like for Axel's family - parents who should never outlive a child and for his wife Olive and two young sons and for his extended family, old team mates, friends and neighbours.

I felt the same when Nevin Spence died. I felt heartbroken going into Ravenhill to sign the book of condolences but also strange because I didn't know him, and yet even without ever knowing me he inspired me so much by playing the game he loved so well. It's a strange kind of grief, no less valid for being distant, but of course much different than that experienced by the immediate friends and family.

To us he was this great rugby player and we loved him for that. But he was also so much more to many people. Words fail me- it is a great tragedy.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 18 Oct 2016, 2:45 pm

Notch, I most often see examples of this Irish fighting and bickering on this forum when you guys are selecting a team a a week before a test.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 18 Oct 2016, 3:10 pm

Nice touch by Ulster.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Oct 2016, 6:10 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37694216

Munster 'planning for' the game this weekend

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 18 Oct 2016, 8:49 pm

Coroner has given his verdict and remains will be flown home tomorrow, Wednesday.

In Repose on Thursday. Funeral/burial on Friday.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 19 Oct 2016, 2:56 pm

Axel died of a heart attack.

The game is going ahead v Glasgow on Saturday by the way.

----

Statement from Rassie Erasmus:

A statement from Director of Rugby Rassie Erasmus on the passing of Anthony Foley.
On behalf of the squad I would like to offer our sincere condolences to the Foley and Hogan families, in particular Olive, the two boys Tony & Dan, Axel's parents Brendan & Sheila & sisters Orla & Rosie. Our thoughts continue to be with them, Axel's extended family, and close circle of friends at this time.

Although an Irish and Munster rugby hero, and a great friend of ours, this time is about a husband and a father, a son and a brother, and a fallen friend.

Let us all not forget that.

From a Munster Rugby point of view we wish to acknowledge and thank those that have expressed their sympathies and thoughts with us during this time and thank everyone for their thoughtful considerations - it has been quite overwhelming and is testament to Axel himself that we are hearing from all corners of the world, across all sports and walks of life. The great man touched so many hearts.

One's life is greater than any sport or sporting occasion, however Thomond Park held a special place in Axel's heart, and as difficult as it will be to play the next game, no matter the time, opposition and venue, we have an opportunity to play there this Saturday; that is something that is hugely important to all of us and cannot be easily dismissed.

Playing in Thomond Park further ties us to his memory and will be a chance for all, including our supporters and the community, to feel that connection and closeness to him at this time.

Munster v Glasgow Warriors, European Champions Cup, Saturday October 22 at Thomond Park, ko 1pm.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 19 Oct 2016, 3:00 pm

Some incredible tributes doing the rounds for Axel. This one from Hugo McNeill letter to Irish Times sums up Axel's contribution to Munster for me.

Sir, – The reaction to the passing of Anthony Foley has been extraordinary. He was an extraordinary rugby player but it has been more than that. Much more. I think it also reflects the immense impact that his Munster rugby team made on so many people during their pursuit and ultimate winning of the European Cup. It was bigger than rugby. Far bigger. They were a great side. But there have been many other great sides. They had setbacks along the way. Many other teams had setbacks. They captured people’s imagination well beyond Munster and were the second favourite team of so many non-Munster folk.

I genuinely think that what made them special was the values they championed. Not values they would talk or write about but just practised. Integrity, honesty, humility, hard work, focus on the team and not the individual, extraordinary connection with and responsibility to their native place and the people they represented.

I met my former Irish coach Tommy Kiernan and teammate Donal Lenihan coming out of Twickenham having lost the 2000 European final 9-8 to Northampton.When I tried to commiserate with them they said “We were beaten by a better team.We will come back stronger”.

The reaction was the same from the Munster folk I met after the 2002 defeat to Leicester in Cardiff.

The same graciousness in defeat that they were to show in victory in 2006 and 2008.

They really connected with people in the way few teams do. They would never claim to be angels but were a genuinely special collection of men bonded to a special cause.

These things don’t just happen. They are built. Not just by exceptional players but by exceptional people. People with real values.

Anthony Foley was seen inside Munster and beyond as at the heart of this extraordinary phenomenon.

There were many others as well (some of whom were bigger names internationally) but none were more identified with the Munster cause than he. Irish rugby fans beyond Munster appreciated them because they represented Ireland so well on the world stage. We took pride in them as Irish, even if we didn’t always admit it – not to their faces anyway.

The profound sense of loss goes well beyond those who would normally be touched by the passing of a sportsman so young – his family, his friends, his teammates, his supporters and broad circle of acquaintances.

I think it is because we feel the loss of someone who helped build something special, much bigger than the winning of any particular championship or tournament. Anthony Foley built something special through harnessing the qualities and values of people at their very best. May he rest in peace. – Yours, etc,

HUGO MacNEILL,
[Ireland and British and Irish Lions],
Killiney,
Co Dublin.

Some really lovely stories doing the rounds about Axel at the moment.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 19 Oct 2016, 3:36 pm

That's a very heart felt and moving letter.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 19 Oct 2016, 5:44 pm

Axel is nearly home. Nice touch from RyanAir calling the Flight FR008P.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f97/16/53/77/41/screen10.jpg
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Wed 19 Oct 2016, 8:52 pm

But because, it is my native land
And my home, my home is there

Farewell Farewell.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 20 Oct 2016, 12:48 am

Haven't been on in a while. To Sin, Red Stag (if he's still here) and to all Munster fans and Irish fans. We are with you. Watching O'Mahoney today and the cortège go past Thomond was incredibly moving. Thank you Anthony for all you gave to us mere mortals who follow Irish rugby. I'll have my munster flag this weekend at Ravenhill. God bless

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 20 Oct 2016, 10:45 am

Unbelievably moving scenes during the send off for Foley - the rugby community in Munster is very strong and full of heart. RIP.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 10:55 am

Clermont are asking their fans to wear Munsters scarfs or jerseys or to brings flags or something red to their game this weekend as a mark of respect to Foley and their Irish friends

clap

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 11:02 am

All the tributes have been so moving but IMO none more than Peter O'Mahoney's words at the press conference. It was heart breaking to watch.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninjarugby Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:44 pm

It was Anthony Foley and his pack that got me hooked on rugby. Watching a predominantly Irish pack march around Europe get knocked down numerous times, get back up, compete and dominate Europe. He is a big reason I love rugby and I am thankful for that. I regularly read all your entertaining posts but never post myself but today/tomorrow is a special day. Thanks Axel. 'The Spirit of Munster'.
You taught me how to fight and get up every time I am knocked down!

Ninjarugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 20 Oct 2016, 4:04 pm

There's been a suggestion made by Chris Kirwan, rugby correspondent for the South Wales Argus, that the Pro12 coach of the year award should be named after Anthony Foley. I think it's a great idea.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Oct 2016, 7:13 pm

Nice thought Luckless.

Lovely gesture from Scarlets - they are wearing the number 8 on their jerseys this weekend.

https://twitter.com/scarlets_rugby/status/789155388046401536

Last edited by Sin é on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Oct 2016, 8:43 pm

Sin é wrote:Nice thought Luckless.

Love gesture from Scarlets - they are wearing the number 8 on their jerseys this weekend.

Wonderful gesture from Scarlets.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Sat 22 Oct 2016, 12:49 pm

RIP Axel. The gestures from the whole rugby world have been brilliant. Lump in the throat watching this match today.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:50 pm

Dragons are playing without an 8 Jersey today.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 24 Oct 2016, 10:37 am

Terrible news - RIP Axel.

Great player, great leader and by all accounts a great man too.

He took a lot of stick as a coach but had his whole career ahead of him and given his passion for Munster and the mix of grit and intelligence he showed as a player no doubt he'd have gone on to accomplish great things as a coach too in time but sadly will not get the chance.

Some very moving tributes over the past week or so, hopefully this will inspire the current Munster team and players to win some silverware soon as a tribute to Foley and his family.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 29 Oct 2016, 12:10 pm

A good tribute from Ulster at the game last night- unveiling the new plaque to Axel in the away changing room and coming across to share a beer with the Munster players

http://www.the42.ie/ulster-beer-munster-changing-room-belfast-3053290-Oct2016/?utm_source=facebook_short
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 29 Oct 2016, 3:34 pm

Ulster have really been supportive of Munster in this horrible time. Some lovely gestures. Singing the Fields was just unreal - and it was the whole of Ravenhill as well.

It used be that Leinster & Ulster were best provincial pals - I think that has changed now. Not criticising them or anything (their gesture was lovely as well), but I just can't see Leinster fans singing the Fields of Athenry for Munster!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2