The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions Cup Pool 1: Munster v Glasgow Warriors, 22 October

+36
BamBam
RugbyFan100
munkian
tigertattie
neilthom7
Heaf
David-Douglas
Rory_Gallagher
mikey_dragon
bsando
brennomac
theslosty
Rugby Fan
stub
Golden
asoreleftshoulder
Notch
Pot Hale
The Boss
toml
wolfball
demosthenes
cakeordeath
Eejit
funnyExiledScot
jimbopip
Sin é
profitius
marty2086
IanBru
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
RDW
nathan
R!skysports
George Carlin
40 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Champions Cup Pool 1: Munster v Glasgow Warriors, 22 October Empty Champions Cup Pool 1: Munster v Glasgow Warriors, 22 October

Post by George Carlin Wed 19 Oct 2016, 1:23 pm

Champions Cup Pool 1: Munster v Glasgow Warriors, 22 October Munste10          Champions Cup Pool 1: Munster v Glasgow Warriors, 22 October Glasgo13                    
Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors 
Saturday 22 October 2016
KO: 13:00
Thomond Park, Limerick

Live on BT Sport / beIN Sports

Referee Jerome Garces (France)
Touch Judge 1 Adrien Descottes (France)
Touch Judge 2 Sebastian Cloute (France)
TMO Arnaud Blondel (France)
Citing Commissioner Yves Thieffine (France)

A. Head to Head

Sides have never met in Europe.

In league play:

28 Played 28
16 Wins 11
11 Losses 16
1 Draws 1

B. Recent League Form

19 February 2016
Glasgow Warriors 27 - 24 Munster Rugby

2 October 2015
Munster Rugby 32 - 21 Glasgow Warriors

30 May 2015
Munster Rugby 13 - 31 Glasgow Warriors

28 February 2015
Munster Rugby 22 - 10 Glasgow Warriors

20 December 2014
Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

C. Teams

Munster Rugby
Champions Cup Pool 1: Munster v Glasgow Warriors, 22 October Stag10
15 Simon Zebo
14 Darren Sweetnam
13 Jaco Taute
12 Rory Scannell
11 Keith Earls
10 Tyler Bleyendaal
9 Conor Murray

1 Dave Kilcoyne
2 Niall Scannell
3 John Ryan
4 Donnacha Ryan
5 Billy Holland
6 Peter O'Mahony
7 Tommy O'Donnell
8 CJ Stander

16 Duncan Casey
17 Brian Scott
18 Stephen Archer
19 Robin Copeland
20 Jack O'Donoghue
21 Duncan Williams
22 Ian Keatley
23 Ronan O'Mahony

Glasgow Warriors 
Champions Cup Pool 1: Munster v Glasgow Warriors, 22 October Glasgo11
15 Stuart Hogg
14 Sean Lamont
13 Alex Dunbar
12 Sam Johnson
11 Rory Hughes
10 Finn Russell
9 Henry Pyrgos

1 Gordon Reid
2 Fraser Brown
3 Zander Fagerson
4 Tim Swinson
5 Jonny Gray
6 Rob Harley
7 Ryan Wilson
8 Josh Strauss

16 Pat MacArthur
17 Alex Allan
18 Sila Puafisi
19 Lewis Wynne
20 Simone Favaro
21 Ali Price
22 Mark Bennett  angel
23 Peter Murchie

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 21 Oct 2016, 8:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 1: Munster v Glasgow Warriors, 22 October Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 1: Munster v Glasgow Warriors, 22 October

Post by R!skysports Wed 19 Oct 2016, 1:24 pm

I wonder how the recent event will affect this game. Must have been a hard decision to play - but fair play to them

Will be emotional

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 1: Munster v Glasgow Warriors, 22 October Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 1: Munster v Glasgow Warriors, 22 October

Post by nathan Wed 19 Oct 2016, 1:41 pm

Has it been given the go ahead now then? Will certainly ly be an emotional day.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Oct 2016, 1:47 pm

From a rugby PoV it is going to be a strange one for both teams I'm sure - the Munster players will be utterly bereft yet will no doubt be incredibly fired up to put in a huge performance for their coach and the fans. How will that emotion affect them on the day?

On the other hand Glasgow will find themselves in a strange situation - how do you psyche yourself up and prepare yourself to be aggressive, ruthless and cut-throat playing in what will essentially be a public memorial service, against players have have had a very emotional week? They are just human beings after all and are bound to have great sympathy for the Munster players.

It seems strange talking about rugby when we're trying to remember a great man's life but it will probably be a fairly unique occasion for all involved - something I'm sure they'll remember for the rest of their lives.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 19 Oct 2016, 1:52 pm

Its going to be a very difficult day for both teams and I have no idea how it will pan out.

I am disinclined to speculate either and just hope that both sides are able to put their feelings aside and put on a game worthy of the man.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 19 Oct 2016, 1:57 pm

I hope that Toonie will get the team's head right.

They just need to forget everything else and play to win. Foley's memory will not be properly served by rolling over for Munster - it will be served by two teams really going at it. That was his style on the pitch.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 19 Oct 2016, 2:55 pm

It will be an emotional day and it can go whatever which way. Munster have the benefit of a longer rest and the ultimate motivation of playing in Foley's memory but training can't have started until today and being overly emotional/trying too hard can cause bad decision making (looking at you Toomua).

The ref will need thick skin. Would have been perfect for Owens or Whitehouse.

If Glasgow can get Favaro back with Harley to come on from the bench that would be ideal. Wynne is only 19 so would like another back 5 player back such as Uanivi so that Harley is not the 2nd row cover. Assuming Dunbar was precautionary and Johnson is out with concussion. For players who may be back I have put the alternative in parentheses.

1) Reid
2) Brown
3) Fagerson
4) Swinson
5) Gray
6) Strauss
7) Favaro
8) Wilson
9) Pyrgos
10) Russell
11) Sarto
12) Dunbar
13) Bennett
14) Seymour (Hughes)
15) Hogg

Flynn (MacArthur), Allan, Puafisi, Harley, Wynne, Price, Clegg, Hughes

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 20 Oct 2016, 9:20 am

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/16/10/19/munster-game-go-ahead-planned

Squads will come out at 3pm on Friday.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 20 Oct 2016, 11:55 am

I'm in two minds about this game being played. I think emotions are going to be raw, and I certainly wouldn't expect the Munster players to be in the right state of mind to play European-intensity rugby. I'm also wary of trying to predict 'what Axel would have wanted' - I certainly didn't know him well enough to say he'd have wanted the game to be played.

On the other hand, Foley was a rugby man to the very core. I can't think of a better way to honour him than to have a real rep-snorting game of rugby, and dedicate it to him whatever the result.

I was little a bit annoyed by the comments of Shane Byrne on the TalkSport rugby show on Monday, where he basically suggested that Glasgow should do the right thing and offer not to play the game. I don't want to get in a situation where Glasgow are seen as callous for leaving the decision to Munster.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 11:58 am

IanBru wrote:
I was little a bit annoyed by the comments of Shane Byrne on the TalkSport rugby show on Monday, where he basically suggested that Glasgow should do the right thing and offer not to play the game. I don't want to get in a situation where Glasgow are seen as callous for leaving the decision to Munster.

I didn't hear the comments but it may have been that he meant its left in Munsters hands whether it goes ahead rather than Munster having to ask for permission not to play

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 20 Oct 2016, 12:44 pm

As a Munster fan I think it should go ahead. Theyll be playing away for the next few weeks so this game will be the only opportunity to play at home for a while.

I'd agree that it might be a little awkward for the Glasgow players but I'm sure once the match starts both teams will get into their rhythm.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 20 Oct 2016, 12:55 pm

marty2086 wrote:
IanBru wrote:

I didn't hear the comments but it may have been that he meant its left in Munsters hands whether it goes ahead rather than Munster having to ask for permission not to play
If you read the Glasgow website statement, you'll see that Glasgow said they would support whatever decision Munster made and that Munster decided they wanted to play. Glasgow did absolutely nothing wrong here. What I am worried about is that this is not understood and the bile that may potentially fly if Munster lose. I would be very disappointed by accusations that Glasgow somehow 'took advantage of the situation'. All Munster fans I know are great but there are lunatics in every group (look at RDW for example).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:01 pm

Arrangements for the match:

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/23316.php#.WAiwSoWIUpk

Glasgow should just play their usual game and not worry what is going on. To Munster, win or lose is irrelevant - but from what we hear the Munster squad are finding it really difficult. Axel has been coaching most of them since they were 18 or 19.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:05 pm

Emotionally a lot of them will be drained after Friday and essentially they have to ride the wave of emotion into the game and beyond

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:07 pm

George Carlin wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
IanBru wrote:

If you read the Glasgow website statement, you'll see that Glasgow said they would support whatever decision Munster made and that Munster decided they wanted to play. Glasgow did absolutely nothing wrong here. What I am worried about is that this is not understood and the bile that may potentially fly if Munster lose. I would be very disappointed by accusations that Glasgow somehow 'took advantage of the situation'. All Munster fans I know are great but there are lunatics in every group (look at RDW for example).

Not a chance any Munster supporter would think that. All decisions have been left to Munster. Everyone in rugby (and out of it*) have been really supportive and helpful.

*RyanAir supplied their Corporate Jet to fly over about 20 people to Paris (including POC & Mick Galwey) to bring Axel home.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:35 pm

Personally, I think this will be a difficult game for both teams; but my opinions are totally irrelevant, if it's what the Foley family feel is right then it's right.It's now up to both clubs to put on the best match they can.

p.s. Can anyone supply a link?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Oct 2016, 1:55 pm

jimbopip wrote:Personally, I think this will be a difficult game for both teams; but my opinions are totally irrelevant, if it's what the Foley family feel is right then it's right.It's now up to both clubs to put on the best match they can.

Hear hear.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 20 Oct 2016, 6:55 pm

It'll be emotionally charged certainly. Just seen the video on the Beeb of people lining the streets.

As for the match itself I can think of no greater tribute to a true servant to our game than two top teams going at each other for the win.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 21 Oct 2016, 8:13 am

This game is on sky sports

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:10 pm

Champions Cup Pool 1: Munster v Glasgow Warriors, 22 October CvS8W4uUEAAYWc6

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:32 pm

Well, the Tombola surprises us yet again. Shocked

Schlong and Rozza on the wings. The pack unchanged from last week. Johnson and Dunbar at centre; mind you, that's what should have been starting against Tiggers.
From 11 to 15 it's a big set of backs. I would venture to suggest that this team is filed under "Teams with a big pack, avoiding being bullied by...."

Munster's game plan may not be too different from Tiggers', but then again it may not be too different from closing time in Sauchiehall Street on Fair Friday. Dunbar, Schlong and Rozza will probably be in their element. There's also Simone, the legend that is, to bring on if things look in danger of getting quiet. furious
If Glasgow manage to remain focussed and not get blown away by the emotions of the day then this could be titanic struggle, right up there with the semi final at Scotstoun a couple of seasons back. On which note, Toonie had Kenny Dalglish in to address the players this week, doubtless he'd have some very relevant things to say from his own experience of trying to play on in the face of such heartbreaking grief. I'm fairly certain the Munster fans will need the catharsis that tomorrow will, hopefully, bring them. I also hope it gives them some solace. And those last two sentences now make me feel foolish and selfish for wanting to discuss this as a rugby match which I want Glasgow to win. Let's hope we all take something good from tomorrow. Hug

Last edited by jimbopip on Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:34 pm

Munster Rugby
15 Simon Zebo
14 Darren Sweetnam
13 Jaco Taute
12 Rory Scannell
11 Keith Earls
10 Tyler Bleyendaal
9 Conor Murray
1 Dave Kilcoyne
2 Niall Scannell
3 John Ryan
4 Donnacha Ryan
5 Billy Holland
6 Peter O'Mahony
7 Tommy O'Donnell
8 CJ Stander

16 Duncan Casey
17 Brian Scott
18 Stephen Archer
19 Robin Copeland
20 Jack O'Donoghue
21 Duncan Williams
22 Ian Keatley
23 Ronan O'Mahony

Glasgow Warriors
15 Stuart Hogg
14 Sean Lamont
13 Alex Dunbar
12 Sam Johnson
11 Rory Hughes
10 Finn Russell
9 Henry Pyrgos
1 Gordon Reid
2 Fraser Brown
3 Zander Fagerson
4 Tim Swinson
5 Jonny Gray
6 Rob Harley
7 Ryan Wilson
8 Josh Strauss

16 Pat MacArthur
17 Alex Allan
18 Sila Puafisi
19 Lewis Wynne
20 Simone Favaro
21 Ali Price
22 Mark Bennett  angel
23 Peter Murchie

There are a few less-well-known names on that Munster team sheet. Friends in red, what can you tell us about Messrs Scott, Taute, Bleyendaal, and Ronan O'Mahony? I remember Sweetnam from the match last season in Kilmarnock, but mostly from the terrified look on his face when young Mr Weir was about to lamp him!

Oh, and is Peter O'Mahony any good? I hear he's quite a prospect...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:54 pm

Looking at that Munster side, they are like us in not having a true second row replacement. I like the majority of the Glasgow team with the exception of dropping Sarto who was MOTM last week. Murchie does not deserve to be on the bench either after Grigg's performance last week but I don't know who else covers fullback. Other than that I see the logic and accept it. If our pack fronts them up and puts in a shift like last week, I think Glasgow have a good chance.

The emotions are going to be all over the place for those Munster players and hopefully it can play a part in closing a chapter for them. I wish Munster all the best but want a Glasgow win.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:01 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Looking at that Munster side, they are like us in not having a true second row replacement. I like the majority of the Glasgow team with the exception of dropping Sarto who was MOTM last week. Murchie does not deserve to be on the bench either after Grigg's performance last week but I don't know who else covers fullback. Other than that I see the logic and accept it. If our pack fronts them up and puts in a shift like last week, I think Glasgow have a good chance.

The emotions are going to be all over the place for those Munster players and hopefully it can play a part in closing a chapter for them. I wish Munster all the best but want a Glasgow win.

Sarto listed as injured.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:04 pm

That is a meaty Munster 8 - O'Mahony's presence alone just makes things look better as a backrow.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:16 pm

Just looked at our injury list. 13 senior players hurt. Fair enough if Sarto is hurt. 3 wings missing along with 3 locks. Can we finally get Junior on the wing next match?!!!

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:17 pm

Stander will wear 24 tomorrow instead of 8

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:19 pm

IanBru wrote:
There are a few less-well-known names on that Munster team sheet. Friends in red, what can you tell us about Messrs Scott, Taute, Bleyendaal, and Ronan O'Mahony? I remember Sweetnam from the match last season in Kilmarnock, but mostly from the terrified look on his face when young Mr Weir was about to lamp him!

Scott, he hasn't played too much for Munster. He is a big prop but thats about all I can tell you about him. He usually only gets a few min off the bench so make of that what you will.
Taute is a big South African center. He is on loan until christmas. He got one or two springbok caps but like Scott I've seen very little of him.
Bleyendaal came from the Crusaders a few years back but has been mostly injured. He is a quality 10 but his kicking isn't the best.
Ronan O'Mahony is a decent enough squad player but doesn't look to have too much ability.
Sweetnam has plenty of ability. Only got serious about rugby a few years back because he also made the Cork hurling team at 19 so there are areas of his game that needs tuning but he is on the right track. He got called up to the Ireland training squad a few weeks ago.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:22 pm

marty2086 wrote:Stander will wear 24 tomorrow instead of 8

That is a lovely gesture.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 22 Oct 2016, 11:58 am

OK guys, one last call (from the heart) does anyone have a link for this?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Sat 22 Oct 2016, 12:28 pm

I'll send you the site i use Jimbo, dunno what the quality will be like.

munster abú

Looking forward to the fellas putting in a performance for Axel

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Sat 22 Oct 2016, 12:46 pm

The build up would bring tears to a glass eye. Great touch by the Munster set up. Ádh mór today lads!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:06 pm

Jeez - the atmosphere is heavy electric. Glasgow are up against it today. Hope it will be a good contest.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:08 pm

I wish the best for Munster today
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:08 pm

Bleyendal - what a storming run and try.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:09 pm

Fantastic try,Munster have started really well.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:19 pm

And another very, very good try.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:21 pm

Bleyendal playing the game people thought he could play when he arrived. Better late than never.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:26 pm

Earls is going off for,that
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:26 pm

Earls could be in trouble here.At least a yellow surely

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:27 pm

Red card tip tackle
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:27 pm

Red all day

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:28 pm

Didn't even attempt to lower him.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:28 pm

Yep. Red card. Stupid of Earls.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:28 pm

You hate to see a red card on a day like this. But the referees have to do their job...

If this is red I'll be gutted for Earls, he must feel even more responsibility to represent the jersey today. Absolutely gutting for him.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:29 pm

No need for that from Earls

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:29 pm

Jesus Earls. Whinging going off. Very poor.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:30 pm

Ah jaysus earls. What is he giving out to the Glasgow players for? Tough day for him

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:30 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Jesus Earls.  Whinging going off.  Very poor.

Wasn't the Glasgow players fault was it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:30 pm

Yep, very poor there from Earls.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next