The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+23
Plunky
mystiroakey
MontysMerkin
1GrumpyGolfer
dynamark
MustPuttBetter
Be_the_ball
GunsGerms
I'm never wrong
Shotrock
Mad for Chelsea
SmithersJones
Roller_Coaster
kwinigolfer
westisbest
raycastleunited
super_realist
McLaren
beninho
JAS
pedro
Davie
navyblueshorts
27 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 12 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 28 Sep 2016, 8:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Actually Davie, they didn't fit yours (apologies; 'idiocy' is a bit strong). Your earlier comments were all about how he'd actually done something terrible/illegal i.e. told them how to get around 3rd party ownership (he didn't) with the possible implication that he'd been knowingly involved in it (no evidence of this), took £400k for dodgy seminars (he didn't and he said he'd have to clear it with the FA) etc. You wanted him to be a crook from the off.
You also claimed Ben and I said he was 'innocent' - we said no such thing.

You never took S_R's approach re. his position being untenable because he was England manager, the one thing he probably falls foul of. His comments re. Hodgson/Nevile were unfortunate, but this was a private conversation and, actually, big deal. Seriously, the next poor schmuck who takes this on should treat the media as they deserve.

There may well be more to this - we'll see. Until then, the only thing he's 'guilty' of is putting himself in a stupid position cf. the FA's comments re. FIFA etc and forcing the FA to ask him to fall on his sword. S_R's right with this; the FA had little choice really.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by raycastleunited Wed 04 Jan 2017, 1:50 am

Pedro - I've always noticed you take a big interest in American politics / current affairs. Just curious - what's your connection to the US?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 14 Jan 2017, 3:02 am

Fake News?

Prem Goal of the Month award goes to Mkhitaryan - even though it was clearly offside.
As Sports Illustrated might say: Isn't that a "Sign of the Apocalypse"?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 14 Jan 2017, 3:16 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Fake News?

Prem Goal of the Month award goes to Mkhitaryan - even though it was clearly offside.
As Sports Illustrated might say: Isn't that a "Sign of the Apocalypse"?
You'd think that might have disqualified it, but I guess as it was given as a 'goal', it counts. Great bit of skill even so.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 14 Jan 2017, 4:18 am

Ironic story from Leicester City:

http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/birch-presents-life-saving-defibrillators-2418622.aspx

Alan Birchenall reportedly needed to be revived by use of defibrillator after collapsing while making a presentation last night. Imagine he'll miss the Chelsea / Leicester game then, graced Stamford Bridge as well as Filbert Street. Super, elegant player, hope he makes a full recovery.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 14 Jan 2017, 9:04 am

Kind of fateful. Nice that he was resuscitated OK. Went on some CPR/defib training last year - the paramedic running it pointed out that if you don't get either CPR or defib within 10 mins, you're a stiff. He said he lost count of the times he arrived at a patient after 10 mins to see all these spectators standing around and no-one had administered (or even tried to administer) CPR. Game over.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:50 pm

Navy

I think out of hospital cardiac arrest has about a 50% mortality rate. I am sure there is or must be a study looking at whether or not defibrillators in public spaces is improving survival rates.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:54 pm

Surely you'd need to have them in every street in every town across the land to make much difference to the stats?

Not much use if you keel over and the nearest defibrillator is on the other side of town.

Maybe I'll design an app which maps them all.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:57 pm

Super

I guess what I meant is whether or not using the defibrillator makes a difference to an individuals outcome. It could be that untrained use doesn't help. I might look this up later.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:59 pm

It does seem strange they are popping up everywhere now and no one seems trained to use them, mind you, even without training, surely it's worth a go isn't it? Better than waiting for someone to just die, which apparently is what often happens, often no one intervenes.

I'm surprised no chavs have electrocuted one another yet with any of them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:07 pm

Navy will know better but I think they are meant to be almost automated if you get going.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:08 am

Correction, the out of hospital cardiac arrest mortality rate is around 75% and often worse in some areas.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:10 am

What do our friends from the USA (or anyone really, but particularly them) think about the release of Chelsea Manning?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:13 am

I did a Compressions only class taught by the FDNY last year. From what I remember the reasoning behind moving to compressions training was it removed the breathing element which is seen as a reason not to administer full CPR and studies had also shown that enough oxygen is taken in/moved around to not need the breathing element.

They also demonstrated a defibrillator. There are diagrams about where to place the patches and the device talks you through what you do and when you do it.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:21 am

McLaren wrote:Correction, the out of hospital cardiac arrest mortality rate is around 75% and often worse in some areas.

How many people actually have a heart attack in hospital Mac? Seems you'd have to be pretty lucky to have one in there? Surely having one out of hospital is what puts you in one in the first place?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:31 am

Super

A heart attack is not cardiac arrest. A heart attack is the disruption of blood flow to a particular area of heart tissue, and therefore cell death in that area, while cardiac arrest is when the heart no longer pumps blood to the rest of the body.

In heart attacks a blood vessel supplying the heart with oxygenated blood is blocked but with cardiac arrest your whole heart ceases to function.

I have no idea how likely you are to suffer cardiac arrest in or out of hospital.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:42 am

I didn't need a lesson Mac.

I just wondered why you're worrying too much about in/out heart attacks.

Not enough people survive them, that's all we need to be concentrating on.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:47 am

Heart issues during not heart-related surgeries not statistically unusual . . . . . . . .

As for Chelsea Manning, apparently his (wasn't he a he at the time?) sentence was unprecedently long, hence the pre-emptive commutation.
I would think it's politically tone deaf, but probably judicially about right.
Personally I'd say Manning & Snowden are worthless scumbags of the first order.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 19 Jan 2017, 1:40 am

Yeah, how dare they expose corruption, dirty tricks, illegal gun running, extortion and torture by our 'elected' leaders. Bastards.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 19 Jan 2017, 3:01 am

Kwini I agree that Assange and wikileaks are scum, but don't you think manning was just trying to do the right thing and got used by them?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 Jan 2017, 3:51 am

Wow, I'm surprised at you Mac, I thought you'd be right into all that WikiLeaks and Anonymous stuff.

Maybe you aren't as lefty a I thought you were.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Jan 2017, 3:54 am

Maybe Mac, perhaps he's collateral damage from the dumbf*ck war, symptomatic of the desperate bottom trawling that W had to do to get people to sign up, but what he did is borderline treasonous. I would prefer that Obama had got this sorted years ago.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:28 am

McLaren wrote:Navy

I think out of hospital cardiac arrest has about a 50% mortality rate.  I am sure there is or must be a study looking at whether or not defibrillators in public spaces is improving survival rates.
Yes, they definitely help and anybody can use them - they talk to you all the way and only zap if the arrhythmia is the right type for it to help. What I was trying to get across is that it's imperative for someone (anyone!) to try CPR before a defib arrives. If it takes more than ~10 mins for the kit and paramedics to arrive, you can more or less forget it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:31 am

McLaren wrote:Super

A heart attack is not cardiac arrest.  A heart attack is the disruption of blood flow to a particular area of heart tissue, and therefore cell death in that area, while cardiac arrest is when the heart no longer pumps blood to the rest of the body.

In heart attacks a blood vessel supplying the heart with oxygenated blood is blocked but with cardiac arrest your whole heart ceases to function.

I have no idea how likely you are to suffer cardiac arrest in or out of hospital.
Uh, I think you'll find they're the same to all intents and purposes.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:32 am

MontysMerkin wrote:Yeah, how dare they expose corruption, dirty tricks, illegal gun running, extortion and torture by our 'elected' leaders. Bastards.
Not really the point is it, if you've signed up to some form of official secrets act thingy.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:32 am

super_realist wrote:Wow, I'm surprised at you Mac, I thought you'd be right into all that WikiLeaks and Anonymous stuff.

Nah. He's only saying that because of what Sweden want Assange back for...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:34 am

He doe look like a detestable creep. Like an even more slimy Noel Edmunds.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 19 Jan 2017, 8:03 am

super_realist wrote:Wow, I'm surprised at you Mac, I thought you'd be right into all that WikiLeaks and Anonymous stuff.

It was pretty clear from the start that wikileaks was a vehicle for Assange to massage his own ego and they take no care in protecting those that provide them with the info. Just look at poor Chelsea.

You will also notice I did not include Snowden, part of me wants to take the same line as Kwini but I feel we should be thankful that he was brave enough to expose the true horrors of what the NSA and GCHQ were/are up to. Again he may have done it to further his own image but he didn't take anyone down with him and he has after all done as all a favour.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 21 Jan 2017, 3:05 am

Mac and Super

Still going at it Wink

How you doing?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 21 Jan 2017, 4:57 am

Welcome back Oakey, where have you been?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 21 Jan 2017, 7:52 am

took a break .. I was posting to much

Ale

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 21 Jan 2017, 2:56 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:Super

A heart attack is not cardiac arrest.  A heart attack is the disruption of blood flow to a particular area of heart tissue, and therefore cell death in that area, while cardiac arrest is when the heart no longer pumps blood to the rest of the body.

Uh, I think you'll find they're the same to all intents and purposes.
Funnily enough ( although not really funny !) I know two brothers, both in their 50s, who recently had serious heart issues within a week of each other.  One had a heart attack - didn't feel well, chest pains etc. wife took him to the hospital and they put a couple of stents in to keep the arteries open.  Just a few days later his brother suffered a cardiac arrest on his way to work.  His heart stopped, he fell over backwards and luckily (according to the doctors) he hit his head so hard on the station platform that it shocked his heart into working again.  He's since had quadruple bypass surgery and is doing well.  A mild or medium heart attack is likely to give you more time to get help than a cardiac arrest.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 23 Jan 2017, 10:36 pm

I wouldn't normally post a link to the times but this article about mocking rooney is worth a read.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sneering-at-rooneys-intellect-has-to-stop-he-is-a-genius-in-his-chosen-field-p5cjb9km8?shareToken=8ee17f5df3f8e4496bc86e4953e9ed6d
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 23 Jan 2017, 10:39 pm

that's a subscription link - can't read it

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 23 Jan 2017, 11:29 pm

Weird. I got to it from a twitter post and could read it, but the link now requires a subscription. Sorry now seems to be behind pay wall.

The gist of it was that rooney isn't stupid but just missed out on a top education. Therfore all you are doing is mocking other working class people from a similarly deprived background if you mock rooney.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:15 am

Who's mocking Rooney here? Must have missed it. I don't think he comes across as dumb - his interviews are usually quite considered in response to questions etc. I think he's said and done some 'dumb' things, but then haven't we all?

Plenty of bright people "missed out" on a top education because they arsed about at school (entirely their own fault), didn't want to get 'academic' qualifications etc. How do you mean? That he didn't want to pursue academia or that he's been somehow let down by the education system? Not sure from your wording...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 24 Jan 2017, 6:58 am

If Rooney is in a bad mood after being mocked he can just take a stroll to his bank.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 24 Jan 2017, 10:28 am

Navy

Funnily enough an article in the times is not responding specifically to mockery of Rooney on the 606 golf forum.

And secondly, none of it was my opinion I was just trying to summarize the article after it got put behind a pay wall.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 24 Jan 2017, 9:47 pm

picard Why did you post the article then? Why is it "worth a read" then? If you find it "worth a read", presumably you agree or disagree with it? Or did you post it because, well, 'whatever'?
Actually, try writing in a style of English that actually makes sense and is unambiguous. I can't hear your tone of voice or assess your body language on this forum either.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 24 Jan 2017, 10:26 pm

how does this -0+ system work? - I can guess mind considering Mac has a -21 Smile

i had a nice positive plus 4 after posting on the Golf section and then It went all backwards after chatting to some rugby fans !!

someone has it in for me still?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:43 pm

mystiroakey wrote:how does this -0+ system work? - I can guess mind considering Mac has a -21  Smile  

i had a nice positive plus 4 after posting on the Golf section and then It went all backwards after chatting to some rugby fans !!

someone has it in for me still?

Dunno! Wouldn't worry about it Mysti - I can't say that I've remembered a single time to see what someone's rating is before I read what they posted, or change an opinion on a comment once I saw they were either positively or negatively rated.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:56 pm

As it should be.

Are you not a fan of the system? personally I don't think it adds anything, this place is ran well.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Wed 25 Jan 2017, 12:37 am

I don't think the "likes" should be associated with people, but rather associated with comments. That would give people the opportunity to express if they agree with a comment or not, not whether they "like" the person or not. I doubt it was implemented with the golf board in mind and assume that it was to dissuade obvious trolls.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 25 Jan 2017, 1:38 am

mystiroakey wrote:As it should be.

Are you not a fan of the system? personally I don't think it adds anything, this place is ran well.

I agree. I don't think it adds that much.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jan 2017, 2:05 am

well ironically i gave you a like for it Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 25 Jan 2017, 2:25 am

Well I personally think it's a silly idea. But then again silly* ideas seem rather de rigueur these days, so at least it's good to see the great boards of 606v2 keeping up with the general trend.

*This is possibly a slight euphemism. What I really would like to say would almost certainly not get close to passing the swear filter.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jan 2017, 2:27 am

Everyone is still here i swear!!

I cant remember how many years i have been gone - but its been at least 2 and a bit..

The saddest part is I am still one of the top posters Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 25 Jan 2017, 2:48 am

Yeah been a while since I last saw you around mysti, good to have you back. TBH the boards activity has been pretty much in decline for a while, people get bored or fed up with endless arguing (usually over the same points) and leave, or post less. Some probably get proper jobs where they can't hang around on v2 all day also. Unlike the old BBC boards of course, these don't have an easy way to get a steady stream of new posters in. The record for number of posters online at once still dates from 2012, with the number now only about 20% of that.

Still get some good discussions of course.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jan 2017, 3:43 am

My proper job = delegate everything - until the tax man comes - then get my sh!t together and work 24/7...

Yes you are right its tough to get more posters (without financing - SEO / google adds) - almost all of us chatted on 606 bbc and moved here. not many have come from other streams.

This is a good place. but i was a bit of an idiot occasionally to some (due to some treating me like a dimwit due to my grammar) - which I should have just ignored or taken as a joke.

however I have been doing a lot of stuff recently - a lot of reading (Orwell mainly - including his essays), travelling the world, sport, and work)

Its funny - the more I play sport - the less i know about the pro games!

I was thinking about coming back around June 20th , but I thought any forum was going to go nuts on the referendum and its hard to get into sensible debates around politics.

What I do know for sure is that I am not going to rise to ant bait on any forum ever again. Its just not worth it, and it doesn't stress me out at all, I am comfortable in my skin whatever anyone says - or whatever my 'like' score is. (the sad thing is - it actually used to give almost panic attacks !)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 25 Jan 2017, 5:37 am

mystiroakey wrote:
What I do know for sure is that I am not going to rise to any bait on any forum ever again.

You realise that's an open challenge for Mac to wind you up!

Welcome back mysti Hug

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Jan 2017, 7:35 am

I know Mac is alright at heart - its other posters on footie and rugby

ta ray

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next